OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under Armor is cooked.

Screenshot_20230516-234845.png

Their stock price has suffered lately and a lot of their apparel contracts with schools are coming out. I could see a lot of under armor schools going elsewhere

Last edited:
is ND really going to go back to adidas?

Nike isn’t going to overpay, and ND had many of the same frustrations Michigan did which lead them to leaving in the first place.

Lulz this isn’t getting agreed to and it isn’t saving the conference. The disparity in the TV money is too big
It is interesting that Jim Phillips chose to return to the ACC rather than take the B1G job, if you believe reports he was their first choice. That would suggest he believes the conference is stable, at least for the immediate future. Of course, conference commissioners aren’t always completely in the know (see Pac-12 and Big XII both repeatedly) but considering the ACC schools have been very loud and open about trying to get out, his returning there is at the very least a show of confidence that something will be worked out.

I also think a lot of these reporters just parrot what they’re told and most of these positions are overstated. When there’s been actual movement in realignment, you never hear it talked about for 6 months prior. Ever. You don’t announce to the world you’re about to breach a contract.

It is interesting that Jim Phillips chose to return to the ACC rather than take the B1G job, if you believe reports he was their first choice. That would suggest he believes the conference is stable, at least for the immediate future. Of course, conference commissioners aren’t always completely in the know (see Pac-12 and Big XII both repeatedly) but considering the ACC schools have been very loud and open about trying to get out, his returning there is at the very least a show of confidence that something will be worked out.

I also think a lot of these reporters just parrot what they’re told and most of these positions are overstated. When there’s been actual movement in realignment, you never hear it talked about for 6 months prior. Ever. You don’t announce to the world you’re about to breach a contract.
If you believe a contract doesn’t have any teeth and that certain schools actually have much more leverage than the rest of the conference, then does it matter?

I don’t really get the idea that reporters are parroting what they’re told. Obviously there are a ton of convos going on at all levels with realignment, and most of the stuff isn’t reported. Obviously the schools have intentionally leaked this week’s news. Miami insiders have been talking about this for over a year. You’d magically believe any USC story that was leaked :lol:

If you believe a contract doesn’t have any teeth and that certain schools actually have much more leverage than the rest of the conference, then does it matter?

I don’t really get the idea that reporters are parroting what they’re told. Obviously there are a ton of convos going on at all levels with realignment, and most of the stuff isn’t reported. Obviously the schools have intentionally leaked this week’s news. Miami insiders have been talking about this for over a year. You’d magically believe any USC story that was leaked :lol:
I’ll reply to the USC part of your post because this needs addressing:

I know “lying Nako” is a fun meme, but besides JT Daniels’s career arc, where have I been wrong? I told you that once the PAC deal was up USC was leaving and going independent two years before it happened. I didn’t know the B1G move specifically was coming but neither did any reporters. You know why? Because loose lips sink ships.

Here you have admins seemingly announcing their intent to breach a contract that doesn’t expire for another decade plus. From your work, you know even if you think the contract is unenforceable you don’t publicly discuss, let alone road map, legal matters while they’re pending.

Do I think the ACC as it is currently structured can exist? No because the gap in money is too great. But that doesn’t mean they’re going to just let FSU and Miami walk with their TV rights. Imo either the SEC and B1G pay the buyout and settle on a lump sum for the remaining years, or the conference as a whole renegotiate their rights with ESPN.

I know “lying Nako” is a fun meme, but besides JT Daniels’s career arc, where have I been wrong? I told you that once the PAC deal was up USC was leaving and going independent two years before it happened. I didn’t know the B1G move specifically was coming but neither did any reporters. You know why? Because loose lips sink ships.
You’re acting like because it happened for USC that way then it’s the ONLY way that it should happen. You’re comparing apples and oranges because there was no Grant of Rights agreement in place for USC. Obviously this is a years in the making situation in the ACC that is now going to be challenged or called into question legally.
Here you have admins seemingly announcing their intent to breach a contract that doesn’t expire for another decade plus. From your work, you know even if you think the contract is unenforceable you don’t publicly discuss, let alone road map, legal matters while they’re pending.
Who is roadmapping? :lol: Your reaching here is too much. There’s no pending legal matters here — nothing has been filed. What seems obvious to me is these 8 schools want out of the ACC. This is an opening to a convo on how that’s going to happen — a convo that’s already been going on for at least a year behind closed doors Mr. LooseLipsSinkShips.

This was an intentional leak by these schools. The conversation will be ongoing and when the other schools reject a revenue sharing bid that is imbalanced, then it’ll be obvious that the conference doesn’t really have a path forward. They’ll end up negotiating smaller buyouts and the conference will be gone. The Big 12 is going to be aggressive in securing some of these schools as well. It’s obvious why this is heating up, but somehow you think this is reporters parroting info :lol:. This is the last big domino to fall outside of Notre Dame.

You’re acting like because it happened for USC that way then it’s the ONLY way that it should happen. You’re comparing apples and oranges because there was no Grant of Rights agreement in place for USC. Obviously this is a years in the making situation in the ACC that is now going to be challenged or called into question legally.

Who is roadmapping? :lol: Your reaching here is too much. There’s no pending legal matters here — nothing has been filed. What seems obvious to me is these 8 schools want out of the ACC. This is an opening to a convo on how that’s going to happen — a convo that’s already been going on for at least a year behind closed doors Mr. LooseLipsSinkShips.

This was an intentional leak by these schools. The conversation will be ongoing and when the other schools reject a revenue sharing bid that is imbalanced, then it’ll be obvious that the conference doesn’t really have a path forward. They’ll end up negotiating smaller buyouts and the conference will be gone. The Big 12 is going to be aggressive in securing some of these schools as well. It’s obvious why this is heating up, but somehow you think this is reporters parroting info :lol:. This is the last big domino to fall outside of Notre Dame.
USC DOES have a grant of rights agreement in place. It expires in 2024. Hence the, "USC will be going independent once the deal expires," conversation we had.

And things pretty much went the exact same way for Texas and Oklahoma. The only reason their situation leaked early was because allegedly Texas A&M who are in the conference they're coming to gave the info to reporters.

You know exactly what I mean in regards to discussing pending legal matters. Just because something hasn't been filed yet doesn't mean you yap about it. THAT in itself could be held against you when things are litigated if you intend for them to be.

We're talking in circles so there's no point continuing, but you know very well that the reason all these reports are coming out is the schools in question trying to pressure the conference externally or raise alarm in the remaining schools so that THEY may also want to use a parachute themselves and maybe jump to the Big 12 or AAC. It's all posturing. 7 schools with 7 sets of high paid lawyers have been combing through a contract for 7 months to figure out if it was enforceable when the schools signed it and they're still not sure?

There are enough attorneys in this thread to discuss honestly what this looks like.

USC DOES have a grant of rights agreement in place. It expires in 2024. Hence the, "USC will be going independent once the deal expires," conversation we had.
so the GOR wasn’t ending 12 years from now and the situations were completely different? You’re being pedantic but the point remains.
You know exactly what I mean in regards to discussing pending legal matters. Just because something hasn't been filed yet doesn't mean you yap about it. THAT in itself could be held against you when things are litigated if you intend for them to be.
So much of what you’re saying just doesn’t make sense :lol:. NOTHING has been said on the record outside of the FSU AD talking about renegotiating the revenue split. Nobody wants to take this to an expensive trial that will last for years and cost everyone even more money. Why are you acting like this thing doesn’t have ONE obvious ending? The schools are going to get their way. It is what it is

you know very well that the reason all these reports are coming out is the schools in question trying to pressure the conference externally or raise alarm in the remaining schools so that THEY may also want to use a parachute themselves and maybe jump to the Big 12 or AAC. It's all posturing. 7 schools with 7 sets of high paid lawyers have been combing through a contract for 7 months to figure out if it was enforceable when the schools signed it and they're still not sure?
Yea, here’s where I absolutely disagree. The rest of the schools obviously know the conference is dead too. They know it’s not enforceable. They’ve known it’s not enforceable for as long as they’ve started poking holes at it. And some of these schools obviously would prefer the conference staying together rather than jumping to worse conferences — and they’ll have spots in those conferences regardless. What incentive do they have to jump?

Is this accurate? I didn’t think the ACC was third. Can’t wait until this all plays out over the next few years. It’s hard to keep up at this point

Is this accurate? I didn’t think the ACC was third. Can’t wait until this all plays out over the next few years. It’s hard to keep up at this point

Makes sense, though I thought they were 4th behind the B12 and their plethora of mid teams. PAC still doesn’t have a deal do they? The big issue is the enormous gap between them and the 2nd team

#NiketalkDynasty let’s goooo

I'm a married man with a family and I can't wait to throw hundreds of hours of my life away playing this game.

Honestly, not having the NCAA football game for the last decade was probably a good thing for my productivity. In high school, college and early in my career I spent way too much time on dynasty mode.

Plus now we're going to have competitive NCAA football leagues and Ultimate team. Can't wait!

Same. I'm ashamed at the amount of hours I spent 'crootin virtual high schoolers

I used to have a notebook (and then it turned into an Excel spreadsheet) where I would track every player I recruited, their star rating coming out of high school, and their overall rating as they progress through college. Then when they were done, I would export my draft classes into Madden to see where they got drafted.

Makes sense, though I thought they were 4th behind the B12 and their plethora of mid teams. PAC still doesn’t have a deal do they? The big issue is the enormous gap between them and the 2nd team

Depends if you count NCAA tourney and bowl revenue, which he's probably doing.

According to USA Today, tax filings say the SEC distributed $54.6 million per school in FY21; the ACC’s payouts ranged from $35 million to $38.1 million; the Big 12 distributions were from $34.7 million to $36.5 million; and B1G payouts ranged from $43.1 million to $49.1 million. Pac went from $33.6 M per school in 2020 filings to $19.8M in 2021 (covid shortened season).

If you're going solely off their last media deals before this new round of negotiations, it would be 1. B1G, 2. SEC, 3. Pac $240M, 4. ACC $230+M, 5. Big 12 ~$200M.

Last edited:
Running from sanctions no doubt.

I remember my boy in my college dorm dynasty leaving Stanford in shambles and dipping out to Michigan right when the tv ban hit.

My favorite feature was the discipline slider you could use. You could be a hard a**, disciplinarian coach and suspend your players the maximum amount when the guy in trouble or you could be more lax but eventually your program would get more and more trouble.

From what I remember the feature was taken out because the NCAA didn't want their student athletes in football programs represented that way. They were situation where your players could do some pretty bad stuff and you could offer no discipline at all lol.

I do remember leaving for another school before sanctions hit. Cold world 😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom