OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that sounds about right. If you go on 247 and look up five star QB's over the last decade you'll see how many of these guys are complete busts. I think QB is a particularly hard position to project coming out of high school because you can't really equate for the mental aspect of things, how much help they have around them plays a huge factor and scheme fit is a huge deal for QBs.

Kellen Mond was recruited to play in a more wide open offense under Kevin Sumlin and now he's being forced to play a more pro style offense. It's a "square peg in a round hole situation."
So many different variables to HS quarterback play it’s really tough.

I also think these college coaches tend to go out of their way to make it harder on themselves, too, though.

Agreed.

The pipelines are pretty much already in place, which is probably half the issue as well. Then the bidding wars created by conference rivals/out of conference blue bloods, etc. You can never have enough QBs, I suppose, so every class...

Mental aspect is definitely huge.

Sumlin was never a big QB run guy, as evident by Khalil Tate falling off a cliff. All JFF ran was Speed option and Draw, everything else he picked up on the ground was a result of scrambling.

Jimbo also tends to favor guys who can move a bit, Jameis might be the least athletic guy he's had as a HC.

Mond's problem is that he just not that good, had Baylor not blown up, I don't think he'd be lighting it up with Briles either.

wouldn't the entire FSu team have to quarantine when the head coach has Covid? That game against Miami has to be in jeopardy?

If Kellen wasn’t afraid of running the ball he’d be a lot better

He's way too tentative and it seems like he wants to run, trust his instincts, but he's being told and molded to be a "protypical" quarterback when that just isn't him and takes him out of his game.

Mond is a deer in headlights.

Physically, everything is there. When he gets his feet set his arm talent is really solid. But he’s so tentative and overthinks literally everything that’s happening around him. He just can’t slow the game down.

The system and A&M’s struggles on the offensive line has created some of that, but he was like that even with Sumlin. Even his HS film at IMG he had happy feet and looked tentative.

His football instincts are probably his worst attribute, and everything else tends to breakdown as a result when he needs to be the guy stepping forward.

So many different variables to HS quarterback play it’s really tough.

I also think these college coaches tend to go out of their way to make it harder on themselves, too, though.

So many coaches are hard-headed and don't adapt their schemes to their personnel. Remember when Georgia Tech hired Paul Johnson and for a season he had Demerius Thomas and ran the option. some of these coaches are so inflexible and like creativity. It's crazy

I've been really impressed with Miami's offense. Now that they actually have a competent quarterback, maybe they could make some moves in the ACC

The Big 10 champ has to go undefeated to make the playoffs right?
Do you think the playoff committee would pick a 8-1 Big 10 champ over (for example) a 10-1 or 9-2 SEC runner-up? Obviously if a team like Ohio State dominates their schedule and goes undefeated, they'll make the playoffs but I think that's the only path.

I feel like playing two fewer games gives the committee two fewer data points and essentially gives the Big 10 no room for error if they want a team in the playoff this season.

The Big 10 champ has to go undefeated to make the playoffs right?
Do you think the playoff committee would pick a 8-1 Big 10 champ over (for example) a 10-1 or 9-2 SEC runner-up? Obviously if a team like Ohio State dominates their schedule and goes undefeated, they'll make the playoffs but I think that's the only path.

I feel like playing two fewer games gives the committee two fewer data points and essentially gives the Big 10 no room for error if they want a team in the playoff this season.
The decision may be more towards Big10 vs. Big12 rather than a 2nd SEC team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom