OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Honestly, from the kids perspective: they are going 1.5 hours out of the way (as a package deal mind you) to a private school to help them win games, get tv coverage, attract prospective students and thus raise their tuition and keep the cycle going. Them transferring in and out wouldn’t have mattered to anyone at MD if it wasn’t for the commitment ceremony.

The people who are mad are the teams getting stomped. The public schools had a legit complaint because it’s their kids getting swiped but a lot of the LA schools allow transferring now too.
I'm 100% on the kid's side. Those alums complaining don't give a **** about their perspective though. :lol: I think people would be upset regardless of the ceremony if it's widely known that they bounced after the season, though. It's just a bad look for everyone. Shows how much of a sham it is to the public.

Greg Biggins got heated at me when I implied MD and Trinity people were fed up with Ricks’s off field “antics”. He came short of accusing me of libel and kept replying Ricks is a great kid. :lol:

I heard a few comments about the course requirements at MD necessitating the transfers but I don’t want to put much stake into the explanations of a bunch of salty OC weird folks about why black kids choose to leave their school.

Don’t make this conversation that.

The irony of USC gentrifying the hell out of South Central but saying RIP Nip :lol:. Tone deaf as hell.
That's true, yes. It's not as simplified as that, and USC being there does provide jobs and contributions to the community as well that other private developments usually don't promise, but that is true. Sadly it's true about a lot of large elite universities and their interactions with their surrounding, usually lower income, communities.

USC was working with community leaders like Nipsey to guarantee (I think 30% of their hiring was the number?) employment to the local community and (tens of millions of dollars?) donations to their affordable housing and education funds.

That's true, yes. It's not as simplified as that, and USC being there does provide jobs and contributions to the community as well that other private developments usually don't promise, but that is true. Sadly it's true about a lot of large elite universities and their interactions with their surrounding, usually lower income, communities.

USC was working with community leaders like Nipsey to guarantee (I think 30% of their hiring was the number?) employment to the local community and (tens of millions of dollars?) donations to their affordable housing and education funds.
Not sure that in the long run the jobs created for the local residents are substantial or make the gentrification worth it from a financial standpoint, which is an argument that stems from debates around gentrification in urban areas typically (there are a bunch of studies and articles with debates around this. Popped up more recently with the Amazon HQ in Queens as well). That doesn't even bring into the picture the culture being stripped from these places as their whitewashed.

You a USC alum? This not the hill I'd want to die on. :lol: It's a nice effort that they were working to guarantee jobs and what not, but you can't bleed out a community over a number of years and then stick a band-aid on it. I wouldn't dare defend the **** that Columbia has done, and still is doing to Harlem. The people who have leaved in these neighborhoods don't reap nearly enough of the benefits of everything that is done to these areas.

Not sure that in the long run the jobs created for the local residents are substantial or make the gentrification worth it from a financial standpoint, which is an argument that stems from debates around gentrification in urban areas typically (there are a bunch of studies and articles with debates around this. Popped up more recently with the Amazon HQ in Queens as well). That doesn't even bring into the picture the culture being stripped from these places as their whitewashed.

You a USC alum? This not the hill I'd want to die on. :lol: It's a nice effort that they were working to guarantee jobs and what not, but you can't bleed out a community over a number of years and then stick a band-aid on it. I wouldn't dare defend the **** that Columbia has done, and still is doing to Harlem. The people who have leaved in these neighborhoods don't reap nearly enough of the benefits of everything that is done to these areas.

Not a USC alum. I'm not dying on that hill. I don't even necessarily agree with it. I'm just presenting what I'm sure their argument would be.

For the record, I'm an anti-gentrification and housing policy attorney in NYC so I'm fully aware of those arguments and I get and agree with your points.

For the record, I'm an anti-gentrification and housing policy attorney in NYC so I'm fully aware of those arguments and I get and agree with your points.
Salute to you fighting the good fight lol. I'm just a M&A lawyer.

Salute to you fighting the good fight lol. I'm just a M&A lawyer.

There’s so many elite universities in “bad” areas. It’s not called GUN WAVIN New Haven for nada.

I just left M&A haha. Hours were weighing for too long.

Last edited:
lol we gotta link when I come up there bro

For sure, let me know when you're out here.
tenor.gif

DeGabriel Floyd out for the season with spinal stenosis.

From my experience, he might be lucky if he plays again depending on the severity.

DeGabriel Floyd out for the season with spinal stenosis.

From my experience, he might be lucky if he plays again depending on the severity.

Yeah from how the conditions typically been handled in college he may never play for UT if anywhere.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26458754/saban-players-lose-entering-nfl-draft-early

Saban: Players lose by entering NFL draft early

"Now, we have guys that have no draft grades, seventh-round grades, free-agent grades, fifth-round grades that are going out of the draft. And the person that loses in that is the player," Saban said after Alabama's spring game. "If you're a third-round draft pick, and we had one here last year -- I'm not going to say any names -- goes and starts for his team, so he's making third-round money, which is not that great. He'd be the first guy taken at his position this year, probably, and make $15-18 million more.

"So, the agent makes out, the club makes out, and now they've got a guy that's going to play for that kind of money for three more years, all right? And everybody out there's saying, 'Well, get to your next contract.' Well, there's obviously 50 percent of these guys never getting to a next contract. And that doesn't mean all the rest of them got to one, either."

Last year, safety Ronnie Harrison was the only Alabama player selected in the third round. He started eight games for the Jacksonville Jaguars, making 32 tackles with one interception and one sack.

:lol:

If you're a top 100 guy like Harrison it should be a no brainier but he's right about the Savion Smith's of the world leaving early. The odds on late round guys seeing that second contract aren't great.

Back
Top Bottom