Official 2017 Boxing Thread: 12/16 - Billy Joe Saunders vs. David Lemieux HBO

Who will be the winner of Terence Crawford vs. Julius Indongo fight?

• Crawford

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Indongo

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really ambitious of Eddie Hearn going for US market now, when was the last time a UK promoter moved into American market?

Big Baby Miller supposed to fight on that same card on Nov 11th with Danny Jacobs, interesting post he made on IG here didn't know he was that tight with Adam Kownacki. Big Baby once again is trying to get into position as the American HW draw as most of money drawing HWs are in the UK and the only American HWs even relevant are Beyonce Wilder as he calls him and a soon to be 46 year old Shannon Briggs.

Yeah CW has never had interest especially from Americans even though the average American Man would be in the Cruiserweight weight range. Currently all the top CWs seem to be Eastern Euro fighters besides a Bellew or Haye when they fight at CW. Holyfield is prolly the GOAT CW but besides him the only big American names that were in the division were RJJ and Toney for a period of time. The highest cruiserweight purse in boxing history is $1.5 million for Hill v Maske in 1996! so there's no money there even if you have personality/mouth like Haye and Bellew that need to get their big multi million purses going up to HW like all other CWs do if they want to make money. I think it just comes down to HW always having been the glamour weight class and CW is seen as its red headed stepchild

nobody watched yunier dorticos vs dmitry kudryashov this weekend? cruiserweight really got bangers but always been criminally slept on.

Reactions: OTG

Shawn Porter could be next American boxer signing with Match Room following Danny Jacobs, in the 30 sec mark of the video Kenny Porter says to Hearn "we are very interested"

Yeah CW has never had interest especially from Americans even though the average American Man would be in the Cruiserweight weight range. Currently all the top CWs seem to be Eastern Euro fighters besides a Bellew or Haye when they fight at CW. Holyfield is prolly the GOAT CW but besides him the only big American names that were in the division were RJJ and Toney for a period of time. The highest cruiserweight purse in boxing history is $1.5 million for Hill v Maske in 1996! so there's no money there even if you have personality/mouth like Haye and Bellew that need to get their big multi million purses going up to HW like all other CWs do if they want to make money. I think it just comes down to HW always having been the glamour weight class and CW is seen as its red headed stepchild
i don't get why those who claim to be 'fans' pay it no attention.. it might be the most competitive weight class in addition to having a great tourney going on right now and cats don't give a ****. :lol:

Both tourneys are highly predictable imo. We probably won't see many surprises. Except I fancy Jamie Cox to have a pretty good shot at upsetting George Groves.

Highly predictable for you to pick the winner of each tourney? I'm guessing you mean Usyk for CW? I mean theres a few CWs there that can definitely punch like Dorticos, Gassiev, and Briedis but they're all the typical stiff robotic Russian/Eastern Bloc boxers that look like rock em sock em robots. Usyk with Anatoly Lomachenko's training has way too much movement for these stiff CWs and should be able to move around them and outbox them pretty easily. Thats why I thought the only CW that Ward may even have a good match with is Usyk cause Ward could outbox these dudes easily. Who are you picking for the winner of 168? I would say 1 of the brits Eubank Jr or Callum Smith?

Both tourneys are highly predictable imo. We probably won't see many surprises. Except I fancy Jamie Cox to have a pretty good shot at upsetting George Groves.

I'm pretty high on Usyk. He doesn't pack as much power as the other guys in the tourney but his all around skills are just too much.

For the 168 tourney, I am going with Callum Smith. I know his fight with Skoglund left a lot to be desired. But keep in mind Skoglund was an undefeated light heavyweight in his prime. I have seen some people saying Rob Brant could surprise us but I'd be shocked. If he gets past Brahmmer, he will face Smith. If he somehow beats Smith to advance to the finals then Derrick James should be trainer of the year, easy.

After Usyk wins this tourney he'll probably have no choice but to go up to HW if he wants to make good money. You don't like Eubank Jr. for the 168 tourney?

I'm pretty high on Usyk. He doesn't pack as much power as the other guys in the tourney but his all around skills are just too much.

For the 168 tourney, I am going with Callum Smith. I know his fight with Skoglund left a lot to be desired. But keep in mind Skoglund was an undefeated light heavyweight in his prime. I have seen some people saying Rob Brant could surprise us but I'd be shocked. If he gets past Brahmmer, he will face Smith. If he somehow beats Smith to advance to the finals then Derrick James should be trainer of the year, easy.

Both Cox and Groves will be tough fights for Eubanks Jr. His path to victory is probably the hardest. So I have doubts that he'll make the finals, let alone win the tourney.

In other news, Danny Jacobs vs Luis Arias is on Boxrec for 11-11. So is it official? :nerd:

Last edited:
usyk might take it but the matchups are good either way. i'm still interested in seeing how mike perez looks against mairis briedis and dorticos/gassiev is quite the style clash.. plus any of them against usyk is entertainment. dorticos been my dog for a while and i wouldn't be surprised to see him shake things up.

Stiverne was MAD :lol:

Shannon Briggs as the voice of peace?

5f4.gif

Baby wasnt lying tho. Stiverne was a bum . Just think that means Arreola couldve been HW champ lol

Big Baby :lol:

I don’t know about y’all but I feel like Big Baby can be the main American Heavyweight. Every bit as marketable as Wilder, but better overall skill...my opinion.

Weird that he signed a deal with HBO tho. Wilder and Joshua are tied to Showtime, Parker & Jennings tied to ESPN, through Top Rank. Isn’t really any Heavyweights on HBO.

There are advantages in going to HBO. He can be on more main events than he would otherwise. And who knows in a year or two the landscape could be drastically different regarding networks and promoters. But for now he can use the HBO platform to raise his profile.

Of course he can, the state of the American HW currently isn't much with Wilder, Big Baby Miller and a soon to be 46 year old Shannon Briggs as most relevant. Besides that you only have 45 year olds like Amir Mansour and Michael Grant or former football players like Gerald Washington that Big Baby already stopped in the 8th rd last fight. Big Baby Miller does need to get a W in his HBO debut tho, Mariusz Wach could be a tough fight for him as he's 6'8 with a granite chin and older at 38 years old but is battle tested and has gone the distance numerous times. Don't know if Big Baby can stop him due to his granite chin and going into the later rounds Big Baby's gas tank could be on E since he's carrying around almost 300 lbs. I was hoping the Big Baby vs Dillian Whyte fight was going to be made but Big Baby doesn't like traveling across the pond.

We'll see if he can be the next HW title holder out of Brownsville BK following Riddick Bowe, Mike Tyson, Shannon Briggs

Big Baby :lol:

I don’t know about y’all but I feel like Big Baby can be the main American Heavyweight. Every bit as marketable as Wilder, but better overall skill...my opinion.

Weird that he signed a deal with HBO tho. Wilder and Joshua are tied to Showtime, Parker & Jennings tied to ESPN, through Top Rank. Isn’t really any Heavyweights on HBO.

Last edited:
Regular lookin brawds.
A multi millionaire, future HOFer, senator, philanthropist should pull better without even trying.

Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin bring in boxing's third-highest gate

The Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin middleweight world championship fight, an action-packed battle that ended in a controversial split draw on Sept. 16 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, was a smash hit at the gate.

The fight generated $27,059,850 from 17,318 tickets sold, according to figures released Tuesday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. There were 934 complimentary tickets given out, according to the commission.

The live gate is the third biggest in boxing history, trailing two other megafights in Las Vegas.

The all-time record was set by the May 2, 2015 welterweight world title unification fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, which generated a stunning $72,198,500 from the sale of 16,219 tickets at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

No. 2 is a fight that took place just three weeks before Canelo-GGG and in the same arena: Mayweather-Conor McGregor. That junior middleweight bout, in which Mayweather exited a two-year retirement and knocked out the UFC star in the 10th round of his professional boxing debut on Aug. 26, banked $55,414,865.79 from 13,094 tickets sold.

"By drawing the third largest gate in [boxing] history, Canelo has demonstrated once again that he is the top draw in our sport," Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez's promoter, told ESPN. "And the scary thing is that he's still only 27 years old. As he continues to engage in the kind of hard-fought battles he had with GGG, Canelo's popularity will only continue to soar."

Canelo-GGG shot past the previous No. 3 all-time gate, Mayweather's decision win over Alvarez to unify junior middleweight titles in 2013. That fight, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, generated a live gate of $20,003,150 from the sale of 16,146 tickets.

Most thought that Golovkin, who retained his middleweight title for the 19th time -- one shy of tying Bernard Hopkins' division record of 20 -- deserved the victory, but he was held to a draw as Dave Moretti scored it 115-113 for Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs), Don Trella had it 114-114 and Adalaide Byrd had Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) winning by an outrageous score of 118-110, one that even the Nevada commission executive director, Bob Bennett, panned and that Alvarez himself said was too wide.

Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler and Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions, began negotiating a rematch this past weekend. If they make a deal, the sequel is expected to take place on May 5, Cinco de Mayo.

Back
Top Bottom