Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

Frank's afraid to drive because he has no athleticism, handle or offensive repertoire. Kid stinks. B-grade Ricky Rubio.

And there's absolutely no reason to fire Hornacek at this point. Team has been overachieving. Injuries to key players have made for some bad losses recently.

Team needs continuity more than anything at this point and he has them playing with great effort. Why fire him?

the most accurate comparison is Dante Exum.

Haven't been watching games but according to this thread Frank and DSJR were apples to oranges like 3 weeks ago :lol:

Haven't been watching games but according to this thread Frank and DSJR were apples to oranges like 3 weeks ago :lol:
DSJr is shooting 40% on 15 shots a game
30% from 3

I'm still taking Frank 10 outta 10 times over him

Rasheed was just old by then.

IIRC, he was still attending games in street clothes with a blazer over it yelling "BALL DON'T LIE" and doing 3 to the head.
7215B37F-E965-4D60-8200-D5637D6EBC7E.jpeg

If the Knicks drafted Frank expecting him to be more effective as a rookie than DSJ, then they really would have been ******* idiotic.

DSJ was always supposed to be the more NBA ready player, nothing about that is surprising. I could have told you all that on draft night, when I still liked Frank more than DSJ.

But I think Frank has the potential to be a better offensive orchestrator and much better defender, so I still would take him over Dennis because I said on draft night I would take him over Dennis and there has been nothing that has occurred thus far that has ****** with my pre-draft PG rankings (Fultz/Ball/Monk/Frank/Dennis/Fox all close) considering we are barely a quarter way through the ******* season. :lol:

Again, I've said it a million times, I'm not trying to say that just because I like Frank more than Dennis or anybody else does then it's Frank >> Dennis, it's more that any of you trying to write off any of these kids as busts or players who wont live up to their potential a quarter of the way through their rookie season is ******* moronic. You can ahve your opinion of Dennis > Frank without jumping to extremes.

Drafts are always a crapshoot, and if you look back at NBA history, most years you would have been totally off-base if you tried to do that same thing outside of a couple of players some years who burst on to the scene and take over while flashing absurd potential in the process (Towns, Porzingis for instance), which IMO no rookie has done thus far besides Simmons who isnt even from this draft class.

But besides that, it's not like Dennis has been incredible or anything. Honestly, I was expecting more from him and Lonzo coming into the season, considering his minutes/usage rate and the speed of NBA games today,.although it's still early and there is a lot of time for him to improve (he already has).

There's no question DSJr and Mitchell have been much better through 20 something games. It's also possible that they'll have better careers. Doesn't mean Frank won't be a quality player.

It also bothers me a little that only the Knicks passed on DSJr and Mitchell.

Now this is a rational take.

Frank has shown flashes of his potential but there's definitely some glaring flaws in his game. He'll make a catch & shoot 3 in rhythm but the next possession he'll telegraph a pass in the PnR.

But he's 19 years old. Things like that will happen. I think it's important to have patience & not be so quick to compare him to more athletic, polished players. People saw how quickly Porzingis went from an 'unknown' to a star and think that's the norm for prospects now.

Porzingis is the exception to the rule that's been in place for years: Rookies are generally bad (especially 'projects').

My things with Frank is that he looks completely lost out there.

I can understand a rookie jacking up bad shots, being timid, making the occasional bad decisions etc. Most rookies struggle with the long range shot because they're used to the college/HS/International 3 point line and they're still building NBA legs.

But Frank just looks like a lanky kid who has never played the game before and is learning everything from scratch.

He has NO offensive repertoire, it's weird. He's hiding behind screens because he doesn't know what to do with the ball in his hand. If you're not an offensive threat you can't be an effective passer and you're giving the opponent a break on the other side of the floor. On top of that he's not explosive, so that caps his potential from the gate. You can be slow but you gotta be crafty. That craftiness is developed way before players get into the league.

Haven't seen a single fluid headfake, in and out, misdirection, stutter step etc. from the kid. He's trying to learn all of that stuff with trainers now, that's why he looks so mechanical. That's concerning.

Being raw is one thing, being a blank slate is something completely different.

As soon as I saw KP play I was like, "Damn, I was completely wrong about this kid. He's raw but his ceiling in limitless."

Frank has shown me nothing for except long arms, that can pressure ball handlers.

If he's able to compensate for his lack of athleticism and learn all of the offensive tricks of the trade, that most guys have already mastered by 16, it'll be a miracle.

Last edited:
If the Knicks were to redraft I would still want them to take Frank over Dennis/Mitchell.

I like both players a lot and just because that is my opinion doesnt mean I wont be wrong. But having that opinion of liking Frank still more than Dennis, despite Dennis obviously producing more right now, is not nearly as crazy/irrational as saying that Dennis will definitely be a better player than Frank a quarter of the way through their rookie seasons.

My things with Frank is that he looks completely lost out there.

As soon as I saw KP play I was like, "Damn, I was completely wrong about this kid. He's raw but his ceiling in limitless."

That's where you're goofing

Your comparing Frank's first 20 games to KP's
Not only is it silly because they play 2 completely different positions that require different things, but like nick. nick. said, KP was a huuuuuuggggeeee exception

When's the last time a euro 20 years old or younger has had significant impact? Euros in general come in young and everyone should know the deal with them by now
There's always a learning curve

KP came into his rookie season with literally ZERO expectations so of course when he preformed we were all blown away way more than we would've been if he was a regular american born one and done college kid

Even though Frank might not've came into the year with the highest expectations, Knick fans for whatever reason are expecting way more outta Frank than they ever did from KP his first year and at the hardest position in the game

i'm with goldenchild9 goldenchild9

i'm not expecting too much from a 19 year old kid, but he looks like he just learned how to play ball last year. granted that the sample size is small (roughly 20 ish games), he's not showing that much promise SO FAR. we'll see what happens in a year or two. however, a Mavs fan being excited about DSJR is better than us Knicks fans being skeptical about Frank right now. no one knows how either of them will pan out in 5 years, but as of TODAY, Frank is looking like a 2nd round pick at best.

Back
Top Bottom