OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

Phelps by himself has more Olympic gold medals than 189 countries have in their entire history.
not really by himself.. cause 11 of his medals (9 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze), to date, are from relay teams (which he obviously is an integral part).. but still just a single 'weak' leg of the 4 can kill you at that level

- US is also the heavy favorite in the medley relay, that phelps will be on.. that's on the last day of swimming

or you could have dudes screw up in the prelims.. someone gets disqualified (usually from someone jumping too early on the exchange).. or guys just misjudge things (like what happened with the US at last year's world championships where they failed to make the finals in the 4 x100 free relay because they had 2 bad legs in the morning prelims)

Last edited:
As far as athletes that are dominant in their sport on the Phelps level as far as this current era Kohei Uchimara would be a better example for gymnastics than Simone Biles since his reign has lasted longer thus far with 6 all around titles last 6 years and most likely today for the 7th year straight and 2nd olympic all around gold.  Some others I've listed below.

Teddy Riner- Judo

Usain Bolt- Sprinting

Floyd Mayweather- Boxing

Serena Williams- Tennis

Lin Dan- Badminton

Tiger Woods- Golf

Chen Ruolin- Diving

Been a really sad showing from her.

Dont worry.. you guys got ledecky and the stanford girls who will all be training together in the lead up to 2020

Could see ledecky have a chance for 7 gold medals then (100, 200, 400 and 800 individually and 3 relays)

But yall should worry about weitzeil who is going to cal.. but she's a spprinter and natalie couglin exceled there

Dont worry.. you guys got ledecky and the stanford girls who will all be training together in the lead up to 2020

Could see ledecky have a chance for 7 gold medals then (100, 200, 400 and 800 individually and 3 relays)

But yall should worry about weitzeil who is going to cal.. but she's a spprinter and natalie couglin exceled there

As far as athletes that are dominant in their sport on the Phelps level as far as this current era Kohei Uchimara would be a better example for gymnastics than Simone Biles since his reign has lasted longer thus far with 6 all around titles last 6 years and most likely today for the 7th year straight and 2nd olympic all around gold.  Some others I've listed below.

Teddy Riner- Judo
Usain Bolt- Sprinting
Floyd Mayweather- Boxing
Serena Williams- Tennis
Lin Dan- Badminton
Tiger Woods- Golf
Chen Ruolin- Diving

Ashton Eaton - Hep and Decathlon :pimp:

Most big programs the Mens and womens teams are seperate, which is the case at cal

They have 1 of the best mens coaches and programs.. ditto texas

But for missy i think it was a terrible choice going in if she wasnt going with the plan to address certain things

And different cosches have different idelogoies regarding training.. some do better with sprinters some better with distance guys.. then you have the day in and day out compeition

Last edited:
I went to miami.. i had friends who swam with lochte.. our high school football team use to beat the crap out of tebow's team

I also think it was a bad choice for lochte to leave his coach at UF gregg troy (was the coach at bolles at one point.. and was the head men's coach for the US in 2012)

Went to a more sprint oriented program, swimmac carolina.. probably had phelps too much on his mind.. tried doing events that there are multiple people that are just flat out better than him in those events

Been watching the female gymnastics, Simone Biles is just on another level :smh:
Makes the others look like amateurs in comparison

Last edited:

Teddy Riner- Judo
Usain Bolt- Sprinting
Floyd Mayweather- Boxing
Serena Williams- Tennis
Lin Dan- Badminton
Tiger Woods- Golf
Chen Ruolin- Diving

kerri walsh jennings been doing her thing forever

Last edited:
Took a few days but it finally happened. :lol:

Dirk Van Tichelt probably didn’t envision one of the greatest days of his life ending in the hospital. But that’s exactly where the Belgian judoka found himself Monday night hours after winning his first-ever Olympic medal.

Van Tichelt won bronze in the 73-kg judo competition on Monday. Naturally, he went off to Copacabana Beach that night to celebrate the achievement. And that’s where things went awry.

Van Tichelt was reportedly assaulted by a thief on the famous beach, and was struck in the face. He was taken to the hospital after the incident.

The thief, who was reportedly Brazilian, came away with a cellphone, but, crucially, not with a bronze medal. That allowed Van Tichelt to take this epic picture the following day:

CpcsnxhXYAEC2tI.jpg

missy split 1:57.03 with a rolling start just now, she's making it tough for the coaches

Schmitt was 1:55.95 on the leadoff with a flat start (a rolling start usually gives you at least half a second boost from a flat start)

ledecky, leah smith and Schmitt are locks..

then the coaches could choose from: missy, margalis (also swam in the prelims), simone manuel, lia neal.. maybe maya dirado (silver in the 4 IM and bronze in the 2IM.. and wil be a medal contender in the 200 back)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom