OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

Sumlin has touched alcohol in public, after the Sark fiasco, we'll only hire Mormons. :lol:

Welcome to PC driven, media and public pleasing 'Murica.

It is safe to say that the majority of the fan base were unhappy with another lackluster and lazy Haden hire. However even those that are not a fan of the Helton hire are either in the "we'll see what happens" camp or the "sky is falling" camp. I'm in the "we'll see what happens", although from what I see so far it's going to be a rocky road.

Kessler didn't regress, he just wasn't that good. He's had some good talent, but he's never been more than dink and dunk captain check down.

Frustrating to watch.

Wisconsin had the #3 defense in the country. I don't know why you're shocked they did well against our fourth string O Line.

USC played great D and had like 4-5 penalties all game. The offense has been bad all year (and Helton has been calling plays for 11 of the 14 games) but everything else looked fine to very good tonight.

The short dump off on 4th down was bad, yes. But honestly short of a Hail Mary, with 7 seconds left they couldn't have gotten any other play off in time. No idea why they called that play. And that is on Clay not Cody. But literally everything else about his coaching besides offensive play calling has been better than Sark and the last two years of Kiffin here. And even then, his play calling is more balanced.

I think the people having conniptions over this game are just looking at the final win loss column and didn't pay attention to anything else. Well coached game with literally 1/3 of a coaching staff.

The sky isn't falling. Let's wait and see what he builds.

This isn't even the game that I;m having a conniption fit over. Its been more than a handful of games. We truly did get lucky to survive against Cal, AZ, hell, even Colorado. Lucky to have the starting QB's go down in two of those games.

Helton is bad man. He's not average, he's bad. We'll be a 2005 Big 10 team with him running things. I don't care that Wisconsin had the #3 ranked defense. Thats overrated, They played two ranked teams this year. TWO. And one of them was Northwestern. Missed the Buckeyes, Spartans, and even the Wolverines. So how impressive was that?

Helton is predictable. I'm calling the plays that are coming sitting here on the couch. He has a huge task ahead of him. The O-line (every one of them) needs to get in better shape. The linebacking group has been the worst I;ve seen in 15+ years, but we have help coming. D-line needs help, but i love what i see out of Greene. We'll be fine in the secondary. And we have a ton of receivers coming in. And lastly, its RJIII time. But honestly, I think we lose a lot of recruits by Feb. I just get a feeling. This will be the worst class we;ll see in what, 10 years? But why does it matter if you get top talent when you're going to "run left," "run right," or throw bubble screen?

For the life of me, someone tell me why Haden didn't just wait until after the Stanford game. Nobody has been able to answer that for me. He put all his chips in, selling his soul for the Rose Bowl game. It was all or nothing. :smh:

Sumlin has touched alcohol in public, after the Sark fiasco, we'll only hire Mormons. :lol:

Welcome to PC driven, media and public pleasing 'Murica.

It is safe to say that the majority of the fan base were unhappy with another lackluster and lazy Haden hire. However even those that are not a fan of the Helton hire are either in the "we'll see what happens" camp or the "sky is falling" camp. I'm in the "we'll see what happens", although from what I see so far it's going to be a rocky road.

Kessler didn't regress, he just wasn't that good. He's had some good talent, but he's never been more than dink and dunk captain check down.

Frustrating to watch.

The frustrating part is they never even gave Max a chance in garbage time. We really could have utilized him a little better this year, just to prepare him more. I really might be in the minority, but i want to give Jalen a legit shot at QB. I love how the ball comes out of his hand, and like the scrambling abilities he brings. Also putting a lot of hope into Fink. I think he could be tremendous in a couple of years, but he might be the wrong fit. He seems like more of a Sark type of QB.

Can we pay to get out of the Bama game like teams do with out of conference games? I'm joking, kind of.

Agreed. This fire Sumlin talk is laughable.

Where was A&M before him? A&M fans acting like they were anywhere near relevant before Sumlin came.

I'll GLADLY cut a finger tip off to bring him over to USC. Would even let you pick.
What's he done without Manziel - a guy he didn't even recruit to Houston? He's gonna max out at about the same place as every other TAMU coach when you take away one of the greatest college QBs of this generation. And those guys were "bad enough" to get fired.

I think he's ultimately waiting for a NFL HC position, which I think he'd have a higher chance of success at than he does at the college level.

Last edited:
He is in the SEC though. As an A&M fan, how can you expect much in that conference? I think what you're seeing is about what I would expect. Its a 9 win program with a chance to win 10 games. Just like the current state of USC.

Sumlin could have done some damage here in Southern California. i've always begged for a black head coach.

As an honest A&M fan, I don't expect more than that. I mentioned after the Arkansas game that I've now accepted our place as a forever-mediocre team in college football in this thread. But as an experienced (and for whatever reason, always optimistic) observer of the program, I know Sumlin isn't the guy that will take us past being anything more than that. I was skeptical when we hired him, bought in when Manziel and Kingsbury were making him look great, and now I'm back to being (extremely) skeptical.

Outside of Alabama in 2012 (with wonderboy Manziel, mind you), who has he beat? He's 0-4 against LSU, 1-3 against Bama (including a 59-0 beatdown in 2014), 2-2 against Ole Miss (wonderboy Manziel again in those 2 wins), 2-2 against Auburn with a miracle win in 2014 (probably the best game he's ever coached). He's done absolutely nothing against the top of the SEC West when it matters....he has a terrible record against the top half of the SEC West. But hey, I guess we're good as long as we beat up on Miss State (3-1) and Arkansas (4-0)!

Our recent success can be directly tied to Manziel as QB and Kingsbury as OC, not Sumlin as HC.

I have no doubts Sumlin would be really great for us if we were still in the Big 12, but the stakes were SIGNIFICANTLY raised when we moved to the SEC. Unfortunately a lot of our fans still have that Big 12 mentality.

Sumlin was great when he was playing with Sherman's recruits, but his top 10 classes have resulted in nothing so far. Top-end recruits are looking like busts for the TAMU program. He's not even "Coach Cool" anymore, and this year's class will probably finish outside of the top 20 once Charlie Strong is done wiping the floor with him in late January/early February.

Wisconsin had the #3 defense in the country. I don't know why you're shocked they did well against our fourth string O Line.

USC played great D and had like 4-5 penalties all game. The offense has been bad all year (and Helton has been calling plays for 11 of the 14 games) but everything else looked fine to very good tonight.

The short dump off on 4th down was bad, yes. But honestly short of a Hail Mary, with 7 seconds left they couldn't have gotten any other play off in time. No idea why they called that play. And that is on Clay not Cody. But literally everything else about his coaching besides offensive play calling has been better than Sark and the last two years of Kiffin here. And even then, his play calling is more balanced.

I think the people having conniptions over this game are just looking at the final win loss column and didn't pay attention to anything else. Well coached game with literally 1/3 of a coaching staff.

This isn't even the game that I;m having a conniption fit over. Its been more than a handful of games. We truly did get lucky to survive against Cal, AZ, hell, even Colorado. Lucky to have the starting QB's go down in two of those games.

Helton is bad man. He's not average, he's bad. We'll be a 2005 Big 10 team with him running things. I don't care that Wisconsin had the #3 ranked defense. Thats overrated, They played two ranked teams this year. TWO. And one of them was Northwestern. Missed the Buckeyes, Spartans, and even the Wolverines. So how impressive was that?

Helton is predictable. I'm calling the plays that are coming sitting here on the couch. He has a huge task ahead of him. The O-line (every one of them) needs to get in better shape. The linebacking group has been the worst I;ve seen in 15+ years, but we have help coming. D-line needs help, but i love what i see out of Greene. We'll be fine in the secondary. And we have a ton of receivers coming in. And lastly, its RJIII time. But honestly, I think we lose a lot of recruits by Feb. I just get a feeling. This will be the worst class we;ll see in what, 10 years? But why does it matter if you get top talent when you're going to "run left," "run right," or throw bubble screen?

For the life of me, someone tell me why Haden didn't just wait until after the Stanford game. Nobody has been able to answer that for me. He put all his chips in, selling his soul for the Rose Bowl game. It was all or nothing.
mean.gif
Just to chime in with a d-bag correction... the badgers did happen to play three ranked teams this year, as they started with alabama.. So they lost to the #2, #5, & #17 ranked teams in the country.

I was at the colorado game, and the game was literally a toss-up.  When USC is on similar levels to CU at this current moment in time... it is a bad situation for USC. 

Last edited:

For the life of me, someone tell me why Haden didn't just wait until after the Stanford game. Nobody has been able to answer that for me. He put all his chips in, selling his soul for the Rose Bowl game. It was all or nothing.
mean.gif
1. Wisconsin has three losses. To Alabama, Iowa, and Northwestern (who beat Stanford who beat us twice.)

2. Wisconsin has an elite defense.

3. The Cal and Arizona games weren't close. Don't let the final score fool you. We started off slow in both games, but neither of those teams ever controlled those games. Colorado, I admit looked like they had us for a while and Sefo's injury may have been a difference maker, but their backup came in and went 6/8 for 94 yards, so it's not like they had any drop off in QB play. So I really don't see the "we're lucky there were QB injuries in two of those games" argument.

4. Helton comes from a spread principled background. The reason the offense looks like this is because the majority of USC alums and fans WANT it to be. 2 yards and a cloud of dust is the pro style USC way. "Student body right" is the way.

5. RJ3 can't catch and can't pass block to save his life. There's a reason he's not the starter. He's electric with the ball in his hands, sure, but whenever he's on the field the defense knows we're running it because he can't do anything else yet.

6. To say this is the worst group of linebackers you've seen is... wow. This year might be the best linebacker play we've gotten since Rey, Brian, and Clay were here. Cam Smith is really good.

7. What recruits are we going to lose...? 1/3 of the class are early entries and will be on campus in a week. We JUST got a commit from the best player in California. The people still on the board aren't going to be swayed one way or another by a 2 point loss. As is, we have the #10 composite class. This is nothing like when the class fell apart before signing day 2013 (and we still finished #12.)

8. And Haden didn't wait because the program needs continuity, the current players and alums wanted continuity and specifically, Helton, and because you can't destroy and rebuild every time your team loses to an unranked team.

There's also the fact that Chip didn't want to come, JDR didn't want to come this year, we weren't allowed to talk to Hue, and Harbaugh couldn't make up his mind.

Unless you wanted them to bring in Gary Patterson or Tom Herman, I don't see who this amazing home run hire of a coach they would have gotten by waiting is.

Also factor in that BY waiting THEN the recruiting class would have started to fall apart.

USC has one sub 8 win season in 16 years. They won 10 games and the division DURING the death penalty.

Relax.

Last edited:
I said the same thing back then. I like Helton and hope he kills it, but the hire was underwhelming when you consider the position we were in. A roster loaded w/ young talent and a real chance to right the wrongs of your last hire. This was obviously a makeshift season so I won't be too critical, but I'm going to temper my expectations with everything, including the staff hires.

As far as the loss today... soooo many of the same patterns we saw over the season snapshotted into one game. Not even mad, it was basically expected. The slow starts. The random penalty at crucial moments (this one almost ended the game). The inconsistencies from drive to drive on both O and D. To cap it off, who was surprised by the dump off on 4th and 10? Seems like every 2 min drill we've had is a ****** movie I've seen too many times :lol:

Last edited:
But Clay Helton is now 6-4 with a win in the Las Vegas Bowl. Y'all don't like that overall record anymore? That's about all that I was reading when he was named HC.

Edit: P.S. I agree with Nako's sentiments regarding the search. Risky to wait and see what you could get, probably the best possible hire at the time.

Last edited:
There is some young talent in the line backing corps, something to get excited about but best line backing play since Rey, Cush, Clay, Tatupu. C'mon bro. Not when Sarao (captain) and Felix were taking most of the snaps. I like Felix, great kid, but missed so many TFL's with his woeful tackling and Sarao always got pushed around. The future is bright, Cam and Porter are going to be solid, but it was all Su'a once Cam went down.

Pretty much agree with your other points, except 8. Lol.

Helton said the play call for the final play was a Hail Mary but Kessler saw a quick out, the route just lacked depth.

Cody Kessler said the corner was off so he was trying to get a quick 10 yards. Darreus Rogers told Cody he didn't know it was 4th down.

Cody Kessler on the last play, "I probably should've thrown the Hail Mary, honestly." Says Darreus Rogers didn't know what down it was.
@ooIRON MANoo about to go off again
laugh.gif

Last edited:
TCU QB Trevone Boykin arrested after bar fight, accused of striking officer

TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin was arrested in San Antonio early Thursday morning after fighting at a bar and then striking a bicycle patrol officer, according to multiple reports that cite authorities.

TCU is playing Oregon in the Alamo Bowl on Saturday.

i

According to authorities, Boykin, 22, and some teammates were in an establishment called Pat O'Brien's just before 2 a.m. when some patrons recognized the quarterback and began to trash talk. Boykin became upset and a scuffle ensued. In the melee, Boykin struck a bar employee.

Boykin and the people with him were removed from the bar, but the fight continued, according to reports. San Antonio bicycle police officers arrived at the scene and tried to stop the fight with the help of bar bouncers. Boykin reportedly threw an "indiscriminate" punch that struck an officer.

After officers threatened to use a stun gun on Boykin, he was arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest and public intoxication, according to reports.

The TCU athletic department issued a statement Thursday morning.

"We are aware of a situation last night and are gathering information," the statement reads. "We will continue to closely monitor this and evaluate additional details as they become available."

Boykin is a senior who passed for 3,575 yards with 31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season. The Dallas native was a second-team All-American last season.

:smh: :smh: :smh:

There is some young talent in the line backing corps, something to get excited about but best line backing play since Rey, Cush, Clay, Tatupu. C'mon bro. Not when Sarao (captain) and Felix were taking most of the snaps. I like Felix, great kid, but missed so many TFL's with his woeful tackling and Sarao always got pushed around. The future is bright, Cam and Porter are going to be solid, but it was all Su'a once Cam went down.

Pretty much agree with your other points, except 8. Lol.

EXACTLY. I'm embarrassed Sarao is a Trojan. It says all you need to know about that position when he's a starter and playing meaningful minutes.

My opinion about the group being the worst I've seen at USC in 15 years is spot on, sorry. However, i do realize we will be loaded at that position. It was unrealistic to expect much out of the TRUE freshmen. They weren't ready. Hell, Iman hasn't looked great this year, but we all know he'll be a all american very soon. The young age contributed heavily to our struggles.

1. Wisconsin has three losses. To Alabama, Iowa, and Northwestern (who beat Stanford who beat us twice.)

2. Wisconsin has an elite defense.

3. The Cal and Arizona games weren't close. Don't let the final score fool you. We started off slow in both games, but neither of those teams ever controlled those games. Colorado, I admit looked like they had us for a while and Sefo's injury may have been a difference maker, but their backup came in and went 6/8 for 94 yards, so it's not like they had any drop off in QB play. So I really don't see the "we're lucky there were QB injuries in two of those games" argument.

4. Helton comes from a spread principled background. The reason the offense looks like this is because the majority of USC alums and fans WANT it to be. 2 yards and a cloud of dust is the pro style USC way. "Student body right" is the way.

5. RJ3 can't catch and can't pass block to save his life. There's a reason he's not the starter. He's electric with the ball in his hands, sure, but whenever he's on the field the defense knows we're running it because he can't do anything else yet.

6. To say this is the worst group of linebackers you've seen is... wow. This year might be the best linebacker play we've gotten since Rey, Brian, and Clay were here. Cam Smith is really good.

7. What recruits are we going to lose...? 1/3 of the class are early entries and will be on campus in a week. We JUST got a commit from the best player in California. The people still on the board aren't going to be swayed one way or another by a 2 point loss. As is, we have the #10 composite class. This is nothing like when the class fell apart before signing day 2013 (and we still finished #12.)

8. And Haden didn't wait because the program needs continuity, the current players and alums wanted continuity and specifically, Helton, and because you can't destroy and rebuild every time your team loses to an unranked team.

There's also the fact that Chip didn't want to come, JDR didn't want to come this year, we weren't allowed to talk to Hue, and Harbaugh couldn't make up his mind.

Unless you wanted them to bring in Gary Patterson or Tom Herman, I don't see who this amazing home run hire of a coach they would have gotten by waiting is.

Also factor in that BY waiting THEN the recruiting class would have started to fall apart.

USC has one sub 8 win season in 16 years. They won 10 games and the division DURING the death penalty.

Relax.

1. Yes, but imagine if they didn't miraculous miss OSU, MSU, and Michigan? Now where would they be?

2. See above. ELITE?!?!? Come on man. Good? Yes. I like that DC. WOUld prefer him over Clancy Pendergast. But Elite? :rofl: Its all coaching son

3. The Cal game, yes. But the AZ game was extremely close. we had to scratch and claw our way back from being down 14 and needed 21 points in the 4th to win.

4. Does this make it right? Yeah, lets do completely opposite of how everyone plays football and hope its successful!! :rofl:

5. If you really can;t see RJ3 is special, we should probably not have a debate. I';m baffled.

6. YES, WORST LB GROUP I'VE SEEN IN AT LEAST 15 years. One guy doesn't make the group.

7. We will lose recruits. This will be the lowest ranked group since before Pete came. We're not an attractive program right now, sorry. And we're installing a 2 yards and a cloud of dust system? Thats going to entice kids, the same kids who go to college thinking they are going pro?

8. EXACTLY why it was an awful hire. You don't make the most important decision for this program in 10 years by doing it because you want continuity.

See this is my problem with 97% of Trojan nation. Anything they do sits well with you guys. I'm the opposite. I don't cheer any decision we make because I'm supposed. I dish criticism when its warranted, and clap when its warranted.

This hire, and the opinions of many Trojan faithful, proves how arrogant this program is. Its the 3rd consecutive hire where the program things anybody could step in and coach and be successful. Its time to stop that thinking.

I will revisit with you when things blow up in a year and say I TOLD YOU SO. He will not make it out past 2 years.

Last edited:
Its baffling anyone would think the Wisconsin defense is elite. Stats are so misleading. Its easy for some to just read "Wisconsin defense is #3 in the country" and think its the truth. But when you played two teams ranked in the top 50 in total offense category, AND miss Michigan State, Ohio State, and even Michigan, you can chalk it up to fortunate circumstances. They did what they were supposed to do. A good defense, but Elite? :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom