Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

I actually believe that the bust that is Jamarcus Russell is actually not as bad as the bust that is ALex Smith. At least Jamarcus sucked so bad that the team had no choice but to part ways with him, where ALex has some how tricked the organization into thinking he wasnt a bust for 7 years.

Originally Posted by dland24

I actually believe that the bust that is Jamarcus Russell is actually not as bad as the bust that is ALex Smith. At least Jamarcus sucked so bad that the team had no choice but to part ways with him, where ALex has some how tricked the organization into thinking he wasnt a bust for 7 years.

that's a good way to put it.  personally i feel they should've let him go after the 2008 season, when they finished 7-9 and ended strong with shaun hill as qb and mike singletary still the interm coach. between not playing for most of the 2nd half in 2007, and all of 2008  they should've just let him go right there.

i get where your coming from though, i remember coming home from the sports bar i was at on new years eve back in 2006 happy as could be after the 49ers won in denver to knock them out the playoffs in week 17. after 2-14 in 04 and 4-12 in 05,  7-9 seemed like improvement, between that and sweeping the seahawks and alex smith showing improvement with norv turner as the offensive coordinator i had high hopes going into 2007 before reality came crashing down after that 2-0 start.

i still feel so many things didn't work for alex smith in san francisco but as you said, the inevitable has been stalled because he has never been ryan leaf, jamarcus russell bad where there's no choice but to give up on him but he's never been really good either.  in my eyes though, if alex smith doesn't play the way  he did at home against seattle last year in december in week 1, bench him right there, if their not 2-0 after the early homestand, bench him right there.  anything other then a season similar to drew brees turn my career around 2004 season with the chargers is unacceptable in my eyes
laugh.gif
   the minute he messes up, bench him for good.

Originally Posted by dland24

that's a good way to put it.  personally i feel they should've let him go after the 2008 season, when they finished 7-9 and ended strong with shaun hill as qb and mike singletary still the interm coach. between not playing for most of the 2nd half in 2007, and all of 2008  they should've just let him go right there.

i get where your coming from though, i remember coming home from the sports bar i was at on new years eve back in 2006 happy as could be after the 49ers won in denver to knock them out the playoffs in week 17. after 2-14 in 04 and 4-12 in 05,  7-9 seemed like improvement, between that and sweeping the seahawks and alex smith showing improvement with norv turner as the offensive coordinator i had high hopes going into 2007 before reality came crashing down after that 2-0 start.

i still feel so many things didn't work for alex smith in san francisco but as you said, the inevitable has been stalled because he has never been ryan leaf, jamarcus russell bad where there's no choice but to give up on him but he's never been really good either.  in my eyes though, if alex smith doesn't play the way  he did at home against seattle last year in december in week 1, bench him right there, if their not 2-0 after the early homestand, bench him right there.  anything other then a season similar to drew brees turn my career around 2004 season with the chargers is unacceptable in my eyes
laugh.gif
   the minute he messes up, bench him for good.

That's the thing that is bugging me the most.

You draft Kapernick which people want to anoint as the next 9er QB, but then all the talk shifts to well if we suck this year Andrew Luck!!

There's seemingly no plan in place, or at least one fans can clearly follow. I unfortunately understand why Alex Smith is getting another (x5) chance. The lockout I feel really hindered any move for a starting QB the 9ers could have made.

Imagine your Kapernick and you're working toward being a starter and understanding there's a REAL good chance you'll get to start some games this season. The 9ers then draft Luck (which, if history is any indication, they'd somehow manage to not take him), you think Kapernick is going to want to stick around? Again, there's no real plan in place. Which is along the same reason I don't think Carson Palmer is any better of a choice then what we've got currently (in terms of direction).

You draft Kapernick which people want to anoint as the next 9er QB, but then all the talk shifts to well if we suck this year Andrew Luck!!

There's seemingly no plan in place, or at least one fans can clearly follow. I unfortunately understand why Alex Smith is getting another (x5) chance. The lockout I feel really hindered any move for a starting QB the 9ers could have made.

Imagine your Kapernick and you're working toward being a starter and understanding there's a REAL good chance you'll get to start some games this season. The 9ers then draft Luck (which, if history is any indication, they'd somehow manage to not take him), you think Kapernick is going to want to stick around? Again, there's no real plan in place. Which is along the same reason I don't think Carson Palmer is any better of a choice then what we've got currently (in terms of direction).

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I see what your saying, but at the same time as an organization if you know you have a slight chance to get Andrew Luck next year you do what you got to do to hold you over until next year.  Which is where and how Kapernick comes into play.  If the 49ers end up doing as bad as most of us believe we will do this year then we do anything in our power to get Luck in next years draft, cut Alex Smith and maybe have Kapernick as the starting QB going into the season giving Luck more time to develop with Harbaugh and the staff before he fully takes over.  If we don't get Luck next year, then so be it, we still keep Kapernick in which he has completed his rookie season and we still cut Alex Smith and pick up a veteran qb from free agency as added insurance.  That's is and should be our course of action.  

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I see what your saying, but at the same time as an organization if you know you have a slight chance to get Andrew Luck next year you do what you got to do to hold you over until next year.  Which is where and how Kapernick comes into play.  If the 49ers end up doing as bad as most of us believe we will do this year then we do anything in our power to get Luck in next years draft, cut Alex Smith and maybe have Kapernick as the starting QB going into the season giving Luck more time to develop with Harbaugh and the staff before he fully takes over.  If we don't get Luck next year, then so be it, we still keep Kapernick in which he has completed his rookie season and we still cut Alex Smith and pick up a veteran qb from free agency as added insurance.  That's is and should be our course of action.  

They didnt trade for and use a high draft choice in Kaepernick for him to be the backup to Luck or any other qb, thats just stupid and I'd want Baalke out asap if he made such a bad managerial decision such as that. They drafted him that high to be the qb of the future. If they wanted a bridge qb with the intention of drafting a qb next yr, they wouldve just signed a FA this year. No need to take a QB that high and not play him, might as well draft another position of need. The scenario you guys are putting the niners in is the same position the panthers had to deal with by drafting clausen, and ending up with the #1 pick. Of course if somehow they do get the chance to draft Luck, they would take him, no doubt about that.

They didnt trade for and use a high draft choice in Kaepernick for him to be the backup to Luck or any other qb, thats just stupid and I'd want Baalke out asap if he made such a bad managerial decision such as that. They drafted him that high to be the qb of the future. If they wanted a bridge qb with the intention of drafting a qb next yr, they wouldve just signed a FA this year. No need to take a QB that high and not play him, might as well draft another position of need. The scenario you guys are putting the niners in is the same position the panthers had to deal with by drafting clausen, and ending up with the #1 pick. Of course if somehow they do get the chance to draft Luck, they would take him, no doubt about that.

Call me a homer or whatever, but IMO, due to the talent we have on this team (some of which being elite talent), there is absolutely no chance we will finish with the worst record in the NFL. No chance.

As s***** as some of you think we will be, we will not be worse than the Bengals, ********, Bills, etc.

Call me a homer or whatever, but IMO, due to the talent we have on this team (some of which being elite talent), there is absolutely no chance we will finish with the worst record in the NFL. No chance.

As s***** as some of you think we will be, we will not be worse than the Bengals, ********, Bills, etc.

^I agree. The whole "suck for Luck" won't happen, people are foolish if they really believe Harbaugh is tanking on purpose. If there's an opportunity to draft Luck, then you can't pass on him...but the 49ers aren't going to be in that position.

^I agree. The whole "suck for Luck" won't happen, people are foolish if they really believe Harbaugh is tanking on purpose. If there's an opportunity to draft Luck, then you can't pass on him...but the 49ers aren't going to be in that position.

we will not be worse than the Bengals, ********, Bills, etc.

Although talent wise we appear to be better than all of those teams, which I do agree with it all depends on who our starting QB is.  I mean there's only so many times we can keep handing the ball off to Gore and expect that to be successful.  At some point in time we have to put the ball in the air and if you anybody wants to have faith in Alex Smith throwing 5 yard out routes into the ground like he normally does or have a little bit of faith in an unproven rookie qb than more power to you.  Not to mention, just in our own division alone we look like the worst team out of everybody. 

we will not be worse than the Bengals, ********, Bills, etc.

Although talent wise we appear to be better than all of those teams, which I do agree with it all depends on who our starting QB is.  I mean there's only so many times we can keep handing the ball off to Gore and expect that to be successful.  At some point in time we have to put the ball in the air and if you anybody wants to have faith in Alex Smith throwing 5 yard out routes into the ground like he normally does or have a little bit of faith in an unproven rookie qb than more power to you.  Not to mention, just in our own division alone we look like the worst team out of everybody. 

Team McCLOWN

No way we end up with the #1 overall pick, im sure we'll have top 5 though.

Kaepernick can run but will he be a good passing QB?

Team McCLOWN

No way we end up with the #1 overall pick, im sure we'll have top 5 though.

Kaepernick can run but will he be a good passing QB?

There's seemingly no plan in place, or at least one fans can clearly follow. I unfortunately understand why Alex Smith is getting another (x5) chance. The lockout I feel really hindered any move for a starting QB the 9ers could have made
Absolutely 100% true. Matt Hasselbeck admitted it came down to Tennessee and San Francisco, and he chose Tennessee because they have a better O-Line. When that happened the Niners had no choice but to acquiesce to Smith otherwise they would've had nothing at all by preseason. To sum it all up, Alex Smith was the fallback plan. And fallback is exactly what we saw last week
30t6p3b.gif

There's seemingly no plan in place, or at least one fans can clearly follow. I unfortunately understand why Alex Smith is getting another (x5) chance. The lockout I feel really hindered any move for a starting QB the 9ers could have made
Absolutely 100% true. Matt Hasselbeck admitted it came down to Tennessee and San Francisco, and he chose Tennessee because they have a better O-Line. When that happened the Niners had no choice but to acquiesce to Smith otherwise they would've had nothing at all by preseason. To sum it all up, Alex Smith was the fallback plan. And fallback is exactly what we saw last week
30t6p3b.gif

Truth be told, as sad as it is
laugh.gif
, Alex Smith is probably better than Hasselbeck right now, just look at their stats the past two years. Hasselbeck has more experience, but he's nowhere close to what he used to be.

Updated thread title to make this the season thread..

Truth be told, as sad as it is
laugh.gif
, Alex Smith is probably better than Hasselbeck right now, just look at their stats the past two years. Hasselbeck has more experience, but he's nowhere close to what he used to be.

Updated thread title to make this the season thread..

Back
Top Bottom