Official 2011 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (86-76) 2nd Place in NL West

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Damn, past couple seasons we've been one of the few teams that has had Timmy's number.

Trade up Bumgarner for Reyes though please.
Why would you give up on a pitcher this early in the season. Bumgarner's last start was his best so far. He'll be better. 
IMO, if the Giants do trade for Reyes, it will have to be for a top prospect. Wheeler?

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Damn, past couple seasons we've been one of the few teams that has had Timmy's number.

Trade up Bumgarner for Reyes though please.
Why would you give up on a pitcher this early in the season. Bumgarner's last start was his best so far. He'll be better. 
IMO, if the Giants do trade for Reyes, it will have to be for a top prospect. Wheeler?

^Wheeler should be enough, but I wouldn't want the Giants to rent Reyes for a half a season and lose him to free agency. Then they'd lose Reyes and their top pitching prospect.

^Wheeler should be enough, but I wouldn't want the Giants to rent Reyes for a half a season and lose him to free agency. Then they'd lose Reyes and their top pitching prospect.

from what i heard from KNBR, that the Giants won't give up any of the core 4. but they are willing to trade their prospects. i don't know about you but i rather just sit .500 ball and see where we at during july. im sure it will be a buyers market.

from what i heard from KNBR, that the Giants won't give up any of the core 4. but they are willing to trade their prospects. i don't know about you but i rather just sit .500 ball and see where we at during july. im sure it will be a buyers market.

Glad Timmy was able to pitch well. Offense gave enough support.

As for Reyes he'd be nice, but I'd rather not trade for him. I'd wait it out and if NY doesn't like the other offers/gets desperate then try and swing something. Not worth giving up a solid, young prospect with a chance that Reyes walks right after the season. I don't think Reyes would bolster the offense enough that they should trade for him. He'd be a nice addition, but I think another piece or two would be needed if they want to compete.

Glad Timmy was able to pitch well. Offense gave enough support.

As for Reyes he'd be nice, but I'd rather not trade for him. I'd wait it out and if NY doesn't like the other offers/gets desperate then try and swing something. Not worth giving up a solid, young prospect with a chance that Reyes walks right after the season. I don't think Reyes would bolster the offense enough that they should trade for him. He'd be a nice addition, but I think another piece or two would be needed if they want to compete.

[table][tr][th="col"]J. Sánchez SF
7777.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]M. Pelfrey NYM
7807.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2-1[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]1-3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.73[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]7.39[/td] [/tr][tr][td]40[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]16[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.33[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.96[/td][/tr][/table]
Rowand, CF
Burriss, 2B
Fontenot, SS
Huff, 1B
Schierholtz, RF
Ross, LF
Tejada, 3B
Whiteside, C
Sanchez, LHP

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Andres Torres not ready to return to SF Giants[/h1]

(05-05) 04:00 PDT New York --

Andres Torres' return from an Achilles tendon strain that sidelined him 10 games into the season seemed to be on track for Friday night's home game against Colorado. Now, that is in doubt.

"He's not quite ready yet. He'll tell you that, too," manager Bruce Bochy said. "But he is ready to see better competition."

Torres left the extended-spring camp in Arizona after playing one final game Wednesday and will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Fresno tonight. Torres has not had a setback, Bochy said, but the outfielder told staff members in Arizona that he does not feel major-league ready to run or swing the bat.

When Torres does return, Bochy probably will play him in a corner outfield spot until his legs get stronger, with Aaron Rowand remaining in center.

Rowand left Tuesday night's game with back spasms but started Wednesday.

Three-oh blues: It can be grating to watch a badly slumping player swing at a 3-0 pitch and make an out. Aubrey Huff was hitless in 19 at-bats when he batted in the eighth inning Tuesday night, with Buster Posey on second base and one out, and popped a 3-0 pitch to the second baseman.

Bochy does not discourage 3-0 swings if the player has the green light.

"Sometimes you use it as a way out of a slump," Bochy said. "I want to send a sense of confidence to the guy, too. Aubrey is a big reason we had our huge success last year, and he ended up hitting a home run to win the game. Maybe seeing the green light (3-0) helped his confidence."

Huff said that failed at-bat crossed his mind as he got ahead 2-0 against reliever Taylor Buchholz in the 10th. He swung at the next pitch and hit the game-winning homer.

"The way I've been swinging, I thought a walk might get us going, but I figured I'm not going to walk my way out of this slump. You can't lose your aggressiveness in good-hitting counts, not in a game like that."

[table][tr][th="col"]J. Sánchez SF
7777.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]M. Pelfrey NYM
7807.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2-1[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]1-3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.73[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]7.39[/td] [/tr][tr][td]40[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]16[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.33[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.96[/td][/tr][/table]
Rowand, CF
Burriss, 2B
Fontenot, SS
Huff, 1B
Schierholtz, RF
Ross, LF
Tejada, 3B
Whiteside, C
Sanchez, LHP

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Andres Torres not ready to return to SF Giants[/h1]

(05-05) 04:00 PDT New York --

Andres Torres' return from an Achilles tendon strain that sidelined him 10 games into the season seemed to be on track for Friday night's home game against Colorado. Now, that is in doubt.

"He's not quite ready yet. He'll tell you that, too," manager Bruce Bochy said. "But he is ready to see better competition."

Torres left the extended-spring camp in Arizona after playing one final game Wednesday and will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Fresno tonight. Torres has not had a setback, Bochy said, but the outfielder told staff members in Arizona that he does not feel major-league ready to run or swing the bat.

When Torres does return, Bochy probably will play him in a corner outfield spot until his legs get stronger, with Aaron Rowand remaining in center.

Rowand left Tuesday night's game with back spasms but started Wednesday.

Three-oh blues: It can be grating to watch a badly slumping player swing at a 3-0 pitch and make an out. Aubrey Huff was hitless in 19 at-bats when he batted in the eighth inning Tuesday night, with Buster Posey on second base and one out, and popped a 3-0 pitch to the second baseman.

Bochy does not discourage 3-0 swings if the player has the green light.

"Sometimes you use it as a way out of a slump," Bochy said. "I want to send a sense of confidence to the guy, too. Aubrey is a big reason we had our huge success last year, and he ended up hitting a home run to win the game. Maybe seeing the green light (3-0) helped his confidence."

Huff said that failed at-bat crossed his mind as he got ahead 2-0 against reliever Taylor Buchholz in the 10th. He swung at the next pitch and hit the game-winning homer.

"The way I've been swinging, I thought a walk might get us going, but I figured I'm not going to walk my way out of this slump. You can't lose your aggressiveness in good-hitting counts, not in a game like that."

Back
Top Bottom