OFFICIAL 2011 DODGERS SEASON THREAD [ 79-77 ] : MLB asks for sale of Dodgers

happens to other teams, no one gives a %+!$. dodgers havent been relevant in 20+ years, the league is just fine without this team doing well. hes been blatantly "looting" this team for years. like i said, no one cared until Selig got his feelings hurt.
laugh.gif

How did Bud get his feelings hurt?

It's been one misstep after another, and it was tolerable until all of McCourt's transgressions became public when the divorce was announced.  It's one thing to plunder your team without it being officially known, it's another when it's become a stain in the public eye.

Everything that has happened since the fall of 2009 has soured many people: fans, players, the league office.  You are right, they turned a blind eye to it, the Dodgers made a playoff run while they pillaged the farm system, even fans didn't care.  However, it' like having a bad !%* weekend in Vegas while putting everything on a Credit Card.  Sooner rather than later, the bill is going to come and it's not going to be pretty.

and hes always been coming up with money from the team. nothing has changed now, he was about to do it again. getting advanced 10% is hardly a travesty.
Except when the person is Frank McCourt, who has a record of deceit and borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.  Where will it end?

i disagree with you saying that MLB needs LA to be successful because its a big market. if it was that important, they would have never let this dude buy the team in the first place.
The two playoff runs with Manny generated a ton of revenue for the team, city and the league.  They are not idiots.

Look, the NBA has been rolling along fine without the Knicks being successful, it doesn't mean the NBA is going to ignore the Knicks and push for them to get marquee players.

Every league wants their flagship teams to be successful, especially in major markets.  The NFL is the only league that doesn't see it necessary, yet they still want to fill the void before they lose an entire generation of fans.

There were many reasons why MLB turned a blind eye, one being attendance.  MLB doesn't want Dodger Stadium to look like PNC Park, that is alarming.

Bud Selig and the other 29 Owners made a mistake by selling the team to this clown, they have acknowledged that.

happens to other teams, no one gives a %+!$. dodgers havent been relevant in 20+ years, the league is just fine without this team doing well. hes been blatantly "looting" this team for years. like i said, no one cared until Selig got his feelings hurt.
laugh.gif

How did Bud get his feelings hurt?

It's been one misstep after another, and it was tolerable until all of McCourt's transgressions became public when the divorce was announced.  It's one thing to plunder your team without it being officially known, it's another when it's become a stain in the public eye.

Everything that has happened since the fall of 2009 has soured many people: fans, players, the league office.  You are right, they turned a blind eye to it, the Dodgers made a playoff run while they pillaged the farm system, even fans didn't care.  However, it' like having a bad !%* weekend in Vegas while putting everything on a Credit Card.  Sooner rather than later, the bill is going to come and it's not going to be pretty.

and hes always been coming up with money from the team. nothing has changed now, he was about to do it again. getting advanced 10% is hardly a travesty.
Except when the person is Frank McCourt, who has a record of deceit and borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.  Where will it end?

i disagree with you saying that MLB needs LA to be successful because its a big market. if it was that important, they would have never let this dude buy the team in the first place.
The two playoff runs with Manny generated a ton of revenue for the team, city and the league.  They are not idiots.

Look, the NBA has been rolling along fine without the Knicks being successful, it doesn't mean the NBA is going to ignore the Knicks and push for them to get marquee players.

Every league wants their flagship teams to be successful, especially in major markets.  The NFL is the only league that doesn't see it necessary, yet they still want to fill the void before they lose an entire generation of fans.

There were many reasons why MLB turned a blind eye, one being attendance.  MLB doesn't want Dodger Stadium to look like PNC Park, that is alarming.

Bud Selig and the other 29 Owners made a mistake by selling the team to this clown, they have acknowledged that.

the MLB may not need it, and the Dodgers may not have been anything since '88 anyway, but theyre my team. Sure he's the owner, he can do what he wants. But as a fan, I cant sit by and say everything's A-OK when the team loses too damn much, cant afford free agents in the 2nd largest market in the league, raises prices on everything in the stadium (and outside- parking SMH) while cuttin security, trots out a damn AAA lineup (outside of Bison and Dre), and has his damn TMZ divorce all over the place. Then when you get to the details of where the money went...4 houses, $300 a day hairstylist, puttin his kids on the payroll to do nothin...

i hope he burns.

the MLB may not need it, and the Dodgers may not have been anything since '88 anyway, but theyre my team. Sure he's the owner, he can do what he wants. But as a fan, I cant sit by and say everything's A-OK when the team loses too damn much, cant afford free agents in the 2nd largest market in the league, raises prices on everything in the stadium (and outside- parking SMH) while cuttin security, trots out a damn AAA lineup (outside of Bison and Dre), and has his damn TMZ divorce all over the place. Then when you get to the details of where the money went...4 houses, $300 a day hairstylist, puttin his kids on the payroll to do nothin...

i hope he burns.

i get what you are saying Ironman but i still dont think mlb thinks as highly of the Dodgers as we do. they know fans are dumb enough to show up no matter who they choose as the new owner. i dont think they care one way or another whether the team is actually competitive. i guess their choice of new ownership will speak to that one way or the other.

i get what you are saying Ironman but i still dont think mlb thinks as highly of the Dodgers as we do. they know fans are dumb enough to show up no matter who they choose as the new owner. i dont think they care one way or another whether the team is actually competitive. i guess their choice of new ownership will speak to that one way or the other.

%#!! McCourt.

%#!! Selig too for putting us in this position to begin with.

%#!! McC more though...only because Bud can correct this cluster %#!!.

%#!! McCourt.

%#!! Selig too for putting us in this position to begin with.

%#!! McC more though...only because Bud can correct this cluster %#!!.

maybe im looking at this wrong, or not fully understanding the deal. but if fox is offering 3 billion for the rights, why wouldnt they just buy the team for a fraction of the cost and wouldnt they just get the rights that way?

maybe im looking at this wrong, or not fully understanding the deal. but if fox is offering 3 billion for the rights, why wouldnt they just buy the team for a fraction of the cost and wouldnt they just get the rights that way?

ironman, what are the thoughts/feelings of the majority of the other employees?
The majority of employees want a change of ownership, many have seen friends canned.  Every speech or email that comes from Frank is met with a 
eyes.gif
...followed by a 
laugh.gif
.  He keeps on reassuring that he owns the team and to "hang in there" 
eyes.gif

The ones that are sweating bullets right now are the ones that were brought in by McCourt, all the ones being blasted by the press and bloggers for having no baseball experience (solid real estate experience though).

True, but after the divorce people are now really turned off by ownership.  They are not showing up anymore.  Attendance has been horrible and season ticket sales dipped by about 12k.  They lost a lot of high end season ticket holders, those in field level, field level boxes and dugout club seats.  The main reason is the McCourts.  The lines were burning after Opening Day with people canceling mini-plans, using "safety" as an excuse.  In reality, most just wanted to go to Opening Day.  The team honored those cancellations.

It has been one misstep after another since the divorce, that's not even adding the fact that the McCourt's had image problems from the start.  It has just become embarrassing, not only to Dodger fans (those that are left), but to MLB.  The beating, the loans and sagging attendance were the final blows that KO'ed the McCourt ownership.  Hopefully, it doesn't get up.]

They have already gone that route and they have FSN to show for it.  They have no interest in running a team, they just want exclusive broadcasting rights.  Owning a team is a whole 'nother beast.

ironman, what are the thoughts/feelings of the majority of the other employees?
The majority of employees want a change of ownership, many have seen friends canned.  Every speech or email that comes from Frank is met with a 
eyes.gif
...followed by a 
laugh.gif
.  He keeps on reassuring that he owns the team and to "hang in there" 
eyes.gif

The ones that are sweating bullets right now are the ones that were brought in by McCourt, all the ones being blasted by the press and bloggers for having no baseball experience (solid real estate experience though).

True, but after the divorce people are now really turned off by ownership.  They are not showing up anymore.  Attendance has been horrible and season ticket sales dipped by about 12k.  They lost a lot of high end season ticket holders, those in field level, field level boxes and dugout club seats.  The main reason is the McCourts.  The lines were burning after Opening Day with people canceling mini-plans, using "safety" as an excuse.  In reality, most just wanted to go to Opening Day.  The team honored those cancellations.

It has been one misstep after another since the divorce, that's not even adding the fact that the McCourt's had image problems from the start.  It has just become embarrassing, not only to Dodger fans (those that are left), but to MLB.  The beating, the loans and sagging attendance were the final blows that KO'ed the McCourt ownership.  Hopefully, it doesn't get up.]

They have already gone that route and they have FSN to show for it.  They have no interest in running a team, they just want exclusive broadcasting rights.  Owning a team is a whole 'nother beast.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

so you can cancel a mini plan/season tickets?
nerd.gif

12k?
eek.gif
 ouch. how many season ticket holders did they have last year?

and i understand thats not what they want. but, say the team can be bought for 1 billion, wouldnt that save them 2 billion? and they can just have somebody else run the team/operations?  

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

so you can cancel a mini plan/season tickets?
nerd.gif

12k?
eek.gif
 ouch. how many season ticket holders did they have last year?

and i understand thats not what they want. but, say the team can be bought for 1 billion, wouldnt that save them 2 billion? and they can just have somebody else run the team/operations?  

yeah, for some reason the divorce drove people over the edge. heard on 710 the other afternoon that attendance is down almost 7500 per game from last year. thats nuts.

cant believe they let all those people out of mini-plans. damn. bad situation for the people that work in the ticket sales dept this year.

and mrjordan, i assume they dont want to own it because of how poorly it went for them the first time. easier for them to sit back and not have to invest a ton of money in the team/stadium. im not exactly sure but i think they were losing a decent amount of money back then trying to run the team.

yeah, for some reason the divorce drove people over the edge. heard on 710 the other afternoon that attendance is down almost 7500 per game from last year. thats nuts.

cant believe they let all those people out of mini-plans. damn. bad situation for the people that work in the ticket sales dept this year.

and mrjordan, i assume they dont want to own it because of how poorly it went for them the first time. easier for them to sit back and not have to invest a ton of money in the team/stadium. im not exactly sure but i think they were losing a decent amount of money back then trying to run the team.

Back
Top Bottom