Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Nice win
pimp.gif

[table][tr][th="col"]M. Bumgarner SF
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]I. Kennedy Ari
8099.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]3-2[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]5-7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.41[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]4.02[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]101[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]44[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.10[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.25[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][th="col"]T. Lincecum SF
7981.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]B. Enright Ari
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]10-4[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]2-2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.18[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]2.66[/td] [/tr][tr][td]138[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]21[/td] [/tr][tr][td]52[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.27[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.14[/td][/tr][/table]

Giants' Velez Struck by Line Drive, Condition Stable
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]CSNBayArea.com staff[/color]
Giants utility man Eugenio Velez sustained a concussion Saturday night when he was struck by a line drive in the Giants dugout.

He was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix where he will stay overnight for observation and tests. According to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area's Kate Longworth, a CT scan was negative and Velez does not have a skull fracture. His condition is stable.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Velez never lost consciousness, though wasn't realresponsive after first being struck. He said Velezwas talking at the hospital.

There's a lot of concern for Eugenio," Bochy said. "We were praying atthat time, but the guys did a good job of keeping their focus in awell-played game. We did a lot of good things today."

Team trainer Dave Groeschner, who accompanied Velez to the hospital, reported via text message that the 28-year-old was "doing OK, considering."

"It was hard, to be honest with you, it was scary," Giants outfielder Andres Torres told FSN Arizona. ".. I seen (Velez) laying down and they told me he got hit. I was scared. I talked to the trainer and they said he was better now, thank God. It was very scary for him, and for us. Thank God he's fine right now."

Velez was seated in the Bank One Ballpark visitors dugout in the top of the fourth innning when a line drive off the bat of teammate Pat Burrell ricocheted to the first base side of the diamond.

Cameras caught Velez toppling to the ground and players gathered around him immediately.

Giants team orthopedist Dr. Kenneth Akizuki, Groeschner and manager Bruce Bochy all attended to Velez within moments as he lay prone on the dugout floor, near the doorway that leads to the clubhouse tunnel.

Velez was transported on a stretcher in the bottom of the fourth inning by stadium medical personnel, along with Akizuki and Groeschner. He was transported the 2.9 miles between the ballpark and the medical facility by ambulance.

Burrell was facing Diamondbacks right-hander Ian Kennedy when Velez was struck. The pitch was a 2-2 fastball. A look of concern was evident on Burrell's face during the at-bat.

"It's too bad when you see your friend, your teammate like that,"Giants second baseman Juan Uribe said. "On the other team, too. Nobodywants to see a player get hit like that. We're glad he's going to beOK."

Giants lose Affeldt with torn oblique

07/24/10 8:49 PM ET

PHOENIX -- The Giants' worst fears about left-hander Jeremy Affeldt became reality Saturday as they had to place their top setup reliever on the 15-day disabled list with a tear in his left oblique.

The Giants recalled right-hander Joe Martinez from Triple-A Fresno to replace Affeldt on the active roster.

Affeldt's injury forces manager Bruce Bochy to operate without any left-handers in the bullpen, which could compromise the Giants in late-inning situations against certain left-handed hitters. Rookie Dan Runzler remains sidelined with a dislocated left patella and isn't expected back until late August.

Though Affeldt owns a 2-3 record with a 4.11 ERA, he had lately displayed the form he sustained last season, going unscored upon in 12 of his 13 previous outings.

"That's what hurts us as much as anything," Bochy said, referring to Affeldt's disappearance as an asset.

But Bochy expressed confidence in his corps of right-handers, most of whom actually have performed capably against left-handed batters, including Denny Bautista (who has limited lefties to a .186 batting average), Martinez (.188), Santiago Casilla (.222), Sergio Romo (.245), Guillermo Mota (.260) and closer Brian Wilson (.227).

Other options exist, particularly with the July 31 Trade Deadline approaching. The Baltimore Orioles have been shopping Will Ohman, a quintessential situational lefty (28 2/3 innings in 49 appearances) who has limited left-handed batters to a .207 average. The Giants also are believed to have expressed interest in Florida Marlins right-hander Leo Nunez, a closer who would assume a setup role in San Francisco. Lefties are batting .218 off Nunez.

Another possibility -- though this might not reach fruition for a few more weeks, at the earliest -- is Dontrelle Willis, the former 22-game winner whom the Giants recently signed to a Minor League deal. Willis, who is striving to remake himself as a reliever at the Giants' Minor League complex in Scottsdale, Ariz., threw 35 pitches from the stretch position in a simulated game Saturday. He's expected to rest Sunday, then repeat the exercise Monday.

The Giants passed on Triple-A Fresno left-hander Alex Hinshaw, who had Major League stints in each of the previous two seasons. In 36 games with Fresno, Hinshaw was 2-3 with a 4.73 ERA. Hinshaw had allowed only 33 hits and had 47 strikeouts in 40 innings, but had issued 27 walks and hit five batters.

"Right now we don't think he is our best option," Bochy said. "That's why we're bringing up Joe Martinez. I'll leave it at that."

Bochy expresssed hopes that Affeldt will be ready to return by the end of his minimum 15-day rest. But Affeldt doubts he'll be able to do so, since he won't throw for a prolonged period to allow his side to heal.

"You have to build your arm strength back up," Affeldt said. "The positive thing is that I'm not a starter. I don't have to build my arm strength up to 100 pitches."

Affeldt hurt himself while warming up to enter the eighth inning Friday night against Arizona. On his third pitch in the bullpen, he said "it felt like somebody shot me in the side." Affeldt didn't feel much better Saturday after undergoing tests.

"I probably couldn't throw a ball 20 feet right now," he said.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Sandoval to miss a couple of games on leave[/h3]PHOENIX -- Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval is expected to leave the club Sunday morning to return to his home in Venezuela for personal reasons.
Manager Bruce Bochy said Saturday on his pregame radio show on KNBR that Sandoval will miss at least Sunday's and Monday's games but hopes to rejoin the team Tuesday in San Francisco, where the Giants will face the Florida Marlins.

Sandoval, who leads the Giants with 96 games played out of a possible 98, entered Saturday hitting .266 with six home runs and 41 RBIs.

During Sandoval's absence, Juan Uribe likely will play third base, with Edgar Renteria occupying shortstop and Freddy Sanchez returning to second base. Sanchez, mired in a 7-for-44 slump spanning his last 11 games, received Saturday off.
"More than anything, he's just getting out of his zone," Bochy said of Sanchez, who's batting .267 overall. "He has to calm down a little bit up there. Sometimes you get a little tired and you expand your zone."

Back
Top Bottom