OFFICIAL 2010 NFL SEASON THREAD: BREAKING NEWS VIKINGS WAIVE RANDY MOSS

Originally Posted by TheGift23

MilkandCookies

3a53693a43ecf754e172fbbbdb7242e5bd21a6d4_t.gif
I apologize for responding so late. IT'S SICK, Thanks Gift.BTW I hope you're secretly rooting for the Raiders this year cuz i think ya boy J. Campbell is gonna continue the pattern of improvement.

[h3]Jets owner on Revis in '10: 'I would say no'[/h3]
New York Jets owner Woody Johnson has lost hope he can make cornerback Darrelle Revis happy enough to rejoin the team.
In a one-on-one interview for Tuesday night's episode of "ESPN E:60," reporter Jeremy Schaap asked Johnson if Revis will play for the Jets this season.

"My gut feeling is, I would say no," Johnson said.

ESPN released some of Johnson's comments to promote the show, which will air at 7 p.m.

On Revis' importance to the Jets:
"Well, Darrelle Revis is a great player. He's ... you know, we drafted him as a great player. We thought he would be pretty good, or we wouldn't have drafted him that first round. So we knew he would be a good player. He played well for the three years he's been here, particularly this last year, when Rex [Ryan became head coach]. I think the kind of defense that Rex ran really coalesced with who he is as a player."

By Tim Graham

[h3]Jets owner on Revis in '10: 'I would say no'[/h3]
New York Jets owner Woody Johnson has lost hope he can make cornerback Darrelle Revis happy enough to rejoin the team.
In a one-on-one interview for Tuesday night's episode of "ESPN E:60," reporter Jeremy Schaap asked Johnson if Revis will play for the Jets this season.

"My gut feeling is, I would say no," Johnson said.

ESPN released some of Johnson's comments to promote the show, which will air at 7 p.m.

On Revis' importance to the Jets:
"Well, Darrelle Revis is a great player. He's ... you know, we drafted him as a great player. We thought he would be pretty good, or we wouldn't have drafted him that first round. So we knew he would be a good player. He played well for the three years he's been here, particularly this last year, when Rex [Ryan became head coach]. I think the kind of defense that Rex ran really coalesced with who he is as a player."

By Tim Graham

Man pay that man his money & leave it at that. Without him no SB run IMO

Man pay that man his money & leave it at that. Without him no SB run IMO

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Bruschi gonna eat that one game at a time *#+% up like its the quote of the year
laugh.gif

Corny *** Patriots
smh.gif
laugh.gif

LOLCouldn't have said it better myself

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Bruschi gonna eat that one game at a time *#+% up like its the quote of the year
laugh.gif

Corny *** Patriots
smh.gif
laugh.gif

LOLCouldn't have said it better myself

Originally Posted by RoOk

Adam Schefter Twitter:

Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson told @JeremySchaap that his gut feeling is CB Darrelle Revis will not play this season. 2 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

My boy Sir Al Davis is sticking it to the league again. I wish my Dodgers would have an owner like Captain Al.

Originally Posted by RoOk

Adam Schefter Twitter:

Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson told @JeremySchaap that his gut feeling is CB Darrelle Revis will not play this season. 2 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

My boy Sir Al Davis is sticking it to the league again. I wish my Dodgers would have an owner like Captain Al.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I hope Revis sits the first 9-10 games, so I can see the fat man squirm. 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah I just heard people saying they don't even think he will play this year.
Just pay him.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I hope Revis sits the first 9-10 games, so I can see the fat man squirm. 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah I just heard people saying they don't even think he will play this year.
Just pay him.

What I find funny about this Revis situation is that Jets' organization hyped Revis as the best corner in the game.

Campaigning for him to get DPOY, all the "Revis Island" and "Revis Christ" talk, now when he tries to get compensated as one of  corners in the game now it's "He's a good player....but it's a team game."

What I find funny about this Revis situation is that Jets' organization hyped Revis as the best corner in the game.

Campaigning for him to get DPOY, all the "Revis Island" and "Revis Christ" talk, now when he tries to get compensated as one of  corners in the game now it's "He's a good player....but it's a team game."

Yeah, Jets and Rex kinda put themselves in this situation (not fully responsible but definitely didn't help). One thing though, Revis takes this year off, next year is the lockout, that is a long time to go with fines, not being paid, etc.....we will see I guess

Yeah, Jets and Rex kinda put themselves in this situation (not fully responsible but definitely didn't help). One thing though, Revis takes this year off, next year is the lockout, that is a long time to go with fines, not being paid, etc.....we will see I guess

^^I don't disagree with what either of you said, but I don't think you guys really understand the complications of giving Revis an extension this year...

There's so many nuances to it, it's crazy.
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Revis Holdout/Contract FAQ[/color]

Mods, if you want to merge, go ahead, but since I've been seeing the same questions coming up over and over again in the monster Revis thread, I thought there might be some utility to having this as a separate thread (maybe even stickied).

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: What is Revis' current (as of 8/9) contract situation?[/color]

A: When Revis signed his deal in 2007, it was a 6 year deal that, based on performance metrics Revis has already hit, became voidable after 2010 if Revis chose to pay the Jets a buyback. That means that Revis' contract, as it currently stands, can be described 2 different ways.

1) The deal if Revis does not exercise his buyback. If Revis chooses not to exercise the buyback, he is under contract to the Jets for 2010, 2011 at $800,000 ($650,000 salary plus a miscellaneous bonus of $150,000), and for 2012 at $815,000 ($665,000 salary plus a miscellaneous bonus of $150,000).

2) The deal if Revis does exercise his buyback. If Revis exercises his buyback, he will become a Free Agent after the 2010 season. The Jets then can (but don't have to) pick up an option on Revis' 2011 and 2012 seasons. His salary in 2011 would be ~5M. His salary in 2012 could be 9M, 11M, or 15M, depending on certain incentives.

Because he did not report to training camp on time, the 2011 and 2012 salaries are not guaranteed - meaning the Jets can pick up the option for both years and then cut him after 2011, at which point Revis would not get paid his 2012 salary from the Jets.

Either way, the Jets (in theory) control Revis' rights through 2012; the only question is at what cost. If Revis exercises his buyback, the Jets cannot Franchise him.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: OK, that's as of August 9. What happens if he doesn't report August 10?[/color]

A: If Revis doesn't report August 10, then he will not gain a year of "service time" for the 2010 season, no matter how many games he plays.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: So what?[/color]

A: Under the CBA, "service time" determines what happens when you hit Free Agency. Under the rules, players with 3 years of service time are Restricted Free Agents.

Since Revis has only played 3 years, then if he does not report on August 10 and buys out his contract at the end of the year, he will become a restricted free agent, not an unrestricted free agent.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: How does that impact his contract?[/color]

A: If Revis is a restricted free agent, the Jets will be able to retain his rights in 2011 without exercising the buy back, simply by making him a tender offer (they'd tender him at the 1st and 3rd round pick level). They could then let the market set Revis' contract price, and either match (if they found it reasonable) or let him walk for the compensation. If Revis signed a one-year deal with the team for 2011, they could franchise tag him in 2012.

If Revis reports August 10, the only way they'll be able to retain his rights is by exercising the buyback.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: Can Revis sue?[/color]

A: No. He is under contract. Even if Tannenbaum (the GM) came up to him after the Colts game and promised him to pay him 20M per season for 10 years, that would not be a legally enforceable promise; to be legally enforceable, the Jets would have had to have received something from Revis in exchange. It cannot happen, and he'd probably have to pick up the tab for the Jets legal fees if he tried.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: Can the NFLPA do anything to pressure the Jets to pay or release Revis?[/color]

A: No. He's under contract.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: Anything else I should know?[/color]

A: Yes. Revis is racking up fines of $16,000/day for each day of the holdout. If he holds out all season (Aug 2-Jan 2) that would be 154 days, meaning he would owe the Jets roughly $2.5 million.

This is from a Jets' message board, and was posted in the Jets' season thread...

We all know soon as an injury happens, they'll meet and Woody will probably cave...

But if this dude is basically willing to sit out for a year+ for a new contract, may God bless him & his family
ohwell.gif
smh.gif

FYI - there are actually more layers to it than what's in the FAQ but that's pretty much the meat & bones of the situation.

^^I don't disagree with what either of you said, but I don't think you guys really understand the complications of giving Revis an extension this year...

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Revis Holdout/Contract FAQ[/color]

Mods, if you want to merge, go ahead, but since I've been seeing the same questions coming up over and over again in the monster Revis thread, I thought there might be some utility to having this as a separate thread (maybe even stickied).

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: What is Revis' current (as of 8/9) contract situation?[/color]

A: When Revis signed his deal in 2007, it was a 6 year deal that, based on performance metrics Revis has already hit, became voidable after 2010 if Revis chose to pay the Jets a buyback. That means that Revis' contract, as it currently stands, can be described 2 different ways.

1) The deal if Revis does not exercise his buyback. If Revis chooses not to exercise the buyback, he is under contract to the Jets for 2010, 2011 at $800,000 ($650,000 salary plus a miscellaneous bonus of $150,000), and for 2012 at $815,000 ($665,000 salary plus a miscellaneous bonus of $150,000).

2) The deal if Revis does exercise his buyback. If Revis exercises his buyback, he will become a Free Agent after the 2010 season. The Jets then can (but don't have to) pick up an option on Revis' 2011 and 2012 seasons. His salary in 2011 would be ~5M. His salary in 2012 could be 9M, 11M, or 15M, depending on certain incentives.

Because he did not report to training camp on time, the 2011 and 2012 salaries are not guaranteed - meaning the Jets can pick up the option for both years and then cut him after 2011, at which point Revis would not get paid his 2012 salary from the Jets.

Either way, the Jets (in theory) control Revis' rights through 2012; the only question is at what cost. If Revis exercises his buyback, the Jets cannot Franchise him.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: OK, that's as of August 9. What happens if he doesn't report August 10?[/color]

A: If Revis doesn't report August 10, then he will not gain a year of "service time" for the 2010 season, no matter how many games he plays.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: So what?[/color]

A: Under the CBA, "service time" determines what happens when you hit Free Agency. Under the rules, players with 3 years of service time are Restricted Free Agents.

Since Revis has only played 3 years, then if he does not report on August 10 and buys out his contract at the end of the year, he will become a restricted free agent, not an unrestricted free agent.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: How does that impact his contract?[/color]

A: If Revis is a restricted free agent, the Jets will be able to retain his rights in 2011 without exercising the buy back, simply by making him a tender offer (they'd tender him at the 1st and 3rd round pick level). They could then let the market set Revis' contract price, and either match (if they found it reasonable) or let him walk for the compensation. If Revis signed a one-year deal with the team for 2011, they could franchise tag him in 2012.

If Revis reports August 10, the only way they'll be able to retain his rights is by exercising the buyback.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: Can Revis sue?[/color]

A: No. He is under contract. Even if Tannenbaum (the GM) came up to him after the Colts game and promised him to pay him 20M per season for 10 years, that would not be a legally enforceable promise; to be legally enforceable, the Jets would have had to have received something from Revis in exchange. It cannot happen, and he'd probably have to pick up the tab for the Jets legal fees if he tried.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Q: Can the NFLPA do anything to pressure the Jets to pay or release Revis?[/color]

A: No. He's under contract.

A: Yes. Revis is racking up fines of $16,000/day for each day of the holdout. If he holds out all season (Aug 2-Jan 2) that would be 154 days, meaning he would owe the Jets roughly $2.5 million.

This is from a Jets' message board, and was posted in the Jets' season thread...

We all know soon as an injury happens, they'll meet and Woody will probably cave...

But if this dude is basically willing to sit out for a year+ for a new contract, may God bless him & his family
ohwell.gif
smh.gif

FYI - there are actually more layers to it than what's in the FAQ but that's pretty much the meat & bones of the situation.

Originally Posted by Underground54

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Underground54

pimp.gif

So are the Jets willing to give him 10-13 million? Is He really shooting for $15 Mill exactly?

So are the Jets willing to give him 10-13 million? Is He really shooting for $15 Mill exactly?

The Jets will end up paying him before Week 1. They can't afford to go without their best player in a season so critical to the organization and fans.

The Jets will end up paying him before Week 1. They can't afford to go without their best player in a season so critical to the organization and fans.

Back
Top Bottom