OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

Lilly and Theriot for DeWitt is a rumor.

The sticking point seems to be that the Dodgers can't pay the $4 Mil remaining on Lilly's salary.

Go figure.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/white-sox-made-failed-run-at-manny-ramirez.html[/h1]
[h1]White Sox, Rays Made Failed Runs At Manny Ramirez[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 11:06am CST]

11:06am: The Rays inquired on Manny a while back and it went nowhere, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

10:28am: The White Sox made a failed run at Manny Ramirez, report Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.  Ramirez has over $7MM remaining on his contract, and Rosenthal tweets that the Sox wanted the Dodgers to pay all but $1MM and did not want to send any players to Los Angeles.  This was apparently what Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times was referring to when he said GM Kenny Williams was trying to "shock the world" before yesterday's Edwin Jackson trade.

Though the Sox were rejected, Manny makes for an interesting DH target for multiple teams.  Ramirez is having a strong year statistically, but he was otherworldly after the '08 trade to the Dodgers.  Obstacles abound: Manny has a full no-trade clause, he's on a rehab assignment for a calf strain, and as we mentioned he has over $7MM remaining on his contract (much of it deferred).  The contract makes Ramirez an August trade candidate, if the Dodgers feel they can spare him.

Whether you want to believe it or not, Manny still has value.  Kenny Williams trying to pull a fast one,
laugh.gif
.  Ned Colletti would have lost the little respect he has in MLB GM circles if he would've allowed Kenny to fleece him like this.  Kenny would've been walking around Camelback with his slack pocket out and Colletti holding it throughout the walk around the complex.

If any team can pick up the chunk of Manny's contract, I'd say do it.

But seriously, GM's are trying to see how deep they can take from Ned.  He must be a joke around the league. 

11:35pm: The Dodgers asked the White Sox for Dayan Viciedo in exchange for Ramirez, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com on Twitter. The Manny market is heating up, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown on Twitter. The Rays, White Sox and a mystery team are all involved. The Dodgers are considering dealing Manny, according to Brown, who explains that the Dodgers are not shopping him. The left fielder is said to be open to a trade.
I still don't see a deal happening unless the White Sox pick up a chunk of his contract including the deferred portions of it.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/ted-lilly-rumors-saturday.html[/h1]
[h1]Ted Lilly Rumors: Saturday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 11:39am CST]

The latest on Cubs southpaw Ted Lilly...

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Blake DeWitt is easily replaceable, have fun in Chi-Town.
I've said plenty of times that DeWitt is not the answer at 2nd.  However, Ryan Theriot?  He's worse, older and more expensive.  I wish this would be a sign that we are going after a slugging second baseman in the off season (Uggla
nerd.gif
), but knowing our broke !#$ owner... no chance.

August 30th can't come soon enough.

selltheteamfrank.com
firenedcolletti.com

nerd.gif

LOL. McDonald and Lambo aren't exactly studs, nor have they shown glimpses of it.

Dotel can produce now, and Ned needs to save his job, so I don't see the problem with this trade. Are we really coveting these crappy prospects now?

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

LOL. McDonaldo and Lambo aren't exactly studs, nor have they shown glimpses of it.

Dotel can produce now, and Ned needs to save his job, so I don't see the problem with this trade.
Dotel is a 36 year old reliever who's fairly decent. McDonald is almost as good as Dotel in middle relief, and Lambo is a very solid outfield prospect.

Ned just got a 5 year extension, he doesn't need to save his job.

It probably wouldn't bother me if we didn't get rid of so many guys who are cost controlled for veterans who are generally crappy and more expensive.

Jmac should have been traded last season.

Glad we got Dotel cause Broxton seemed to piss in his pants again today. #@%#%$ sissyboy.

roll.gif

so alot of you bash Jmac and lambo is a weed head who may never get IT and lets not forget are closer is a choker.

so what is the problem with the trade again?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

so alot of you bash Jmac and lambo is a weed head who may never get IT and lets not forget are closer is a choker.

so what is the problem with the trade again?
It's not that those two guys aren't all that good, it's the fact that Dotel isn't that good either and is 36 combined with the fact that even though those guys aren't that good they do have some kind of value and giving that value away for a 36 year old reliever is stupid.

I don't think we gave up anything we'll miss at the deadline, but Ned continually gives away minor league players for marginal returns. If you don't think that's going to add up (especially when the owner is broke) then I don't know what to say.

Back
Top Bottom