OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/reversestandings/

Keep it up dodgers, we can have a legit shot at a top 11 pick, do worse than I believe is possible and top 10 isn't beyond the realm of possibility
smile.gif

562 rooting for his man crush: Buster Posey.
smh.gif

I dint care how bad the Dodgers are or that McCourt belongs in the same sentence with Donald Sterling. %#%! the Giants.

562 rooting for his man crush: Buster Posey.
smh.gif

I dint care how bad the Dodgers are or that McCourt belongs in the same sentence with Donald Sterling. !%#+ the Giants.

Posey doing work, ROY
smokin.gif

Aside from Kershaw, Billingsley and the Gayfair Monsoon, there really isn't much to care about in 2010 in LA. I can't wait for Winter Ball to pick up, watching these idiots on a daily basis is a pile of steaming dog +@$!. Went to Home Depot and bought a tote to put away my Dodger gear, all of it except my fitteds. Cleared up a ton of closet and drawer space
smh.gif
smh.gif

They can win this series for all I care, my prediction for the final 25 games will still have an outside chance of coming true.

I'm still a fan, but not really pulling for them to win anything the rest of the season. Through thick and thin, right? In that case, let it be as thin as can be
pimp.gif

Baseball weighs options as McCourts' spectacle plays out
With the prospects of a protracted legal battle, Selig is said to be concerned about the potential for lasting damage to the Dodgers and league. But his hands may be tied for varied reasons.
Frank, Jamie McCourt

The anticipated on-going litigation battle between Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, left, and his estranged wife Jamie could convince Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig to take action on behalf of the team. (Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images)

33Share
0diggsdigg
* Related
Clayton Kershaw earns first career shutout in 1-0 victory over Giants Clayton Kershaw earns first career shutout in 1-0 victory over Giants
John Lindsey's trip to 'the show' is a bright spot in Dodgers' bleak season John Lindsey's trip to 'the show' is a bright spot in Dodgers' bleak season
After paying their dues, some players finally get their big league reward After paying their dues, some players finally get their big league reward
* Stories
Frank McCourt has taken Dodgers deep in debt Frank McCourt has taken Dodgers deep in debt
Frank McCourt says in divorce trial that Jamie McCourt was wary of Dodgers purchase Frank McCourt says in divorce trial that Jamie McCourt was wary of Dodgers purchase
The McCourt trial would make for good viewing at Dodger Stadium The McCourt trial would make for good viewing at Dodger Stadium
* See more stories »
o
X
Dodgers let it slip away early in 7-4 loss to Houston
Joe Torre misses Dodgers' big finish
Offense lets Dodgers down again
To find the true Dodgers family, look up
Dodgers look at end game after 4-0 loss to San Diego

By Bill Shaikin

September 14, 2010|8:20 p.m.

* EmailE-mail
* printPrint
* increase text size decrease text size Text Size

la-sp-0915-dodgers-mccourts-20100915

The inability of Frank and Jamie McCourt to settle their divorce case and the prospect of several more years of litigation has prompted Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig to consider intervening on behalf of the Dodgers.

Selig has remained virtually silent on the issue since the McCourts filed for divorce 11 months ago, saying only that the legal proceedings needed to play out.

However, according to four people who have spoken with him, Selig is dismayed at the public spectacle surrounding the divorce and concerned about the potential for lasting damage to the league and its flagship West Coast franchise. He has told those people he wants the Dodgers' ownership situation resolved long before his scheduled retirement in 2012.

Get sports scores and updates, delivered to your mobile phone. Text SPORTS to 52669.

The trial to determine who owns the Dodgers is set to resume Monday and end by Sept. 30, after which Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon has 90 days to rule.

Yet, with both sides openly discussing possible appeals and additional legal maneuvers, a final decision on whether Frank McCourt is the sole owner of the team or Jamie McCourt is a co-owner could be two to three years away, according to attorneys involved in the case.

It is uncertain what options Selig might consider. Selig declined to comment after last week's "Stand Up to Cancer" telecast, during which he was honored for MLB's $30-million donation to the anti-cancer initiative.

Steve Susman, the attorney for Frank McCourt, said Tuesday that MLB has not leaned on his client to settle or sell. Selig, regarded as a consensus builder who works best behind the scenes, could ask McCourt to settle, sell, or broaden team ownership beyond his family.

"I think it's very unlikely any commissioner in any sport would get too much involved in a mess like that," said Fay Vincent, whom Selig succeeded as commissioner in 1992.

Vincent noted that Selig encouraged Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott to sell in 1999, after she had been suspended twice. Vincent prefaced his comments on the Dodgers by saying he is not certain how his powers might have differed from the ones Selig now has.

"Whatever his authority, there are economic risks in trying to intervene," Vincent said. "I think it would be very difficult to try to take the franchise away or order it to be sold."

No owner has been forced to sell his team since 1912, according to Hall of Fame research, when the Philadelphia Phillies' Horace Fogel was banished for repeatedly impugning the integrity of umpires and opponents.

Vincent suggested the forced sale of one franchise might lower the value of others.

"Nobody will want to buy into baseball if the commissioner can get upset and move to take away" a franchise, Vincent said.

In addition, he said, a forced sale could result in lowball offers.

"You'll undercut the investment," Vincent said. "McCourt would be in a position to sue."

Sal Galatioto, whose New York investment firm advises buyers and sellers of sports franchises, said McCourt would not need to entertain lowball offers if he were to sell the Dodgers.

"There would be plenty of buyers," Galatioto said. "The team is profitable. It's Los Angeles."

The list of potential buyers is headed by Southern California residents, including Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio, former player agent Dennis Gilbert, Boston Red Sox Chairman Tom Werner, former commissioner Peter Ueberroth and real estate developer Alan Casden.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and software mogul Larry Ellison also have been mentioned as potential buyers, and one baseball source said Asian investors might explore a bid as well.

The interest was not nearly so widespread in 2004, when Fox sold the team to McCourt and helped finance the purchase.

According to court documents, the Dodgers lost $177 million in the final four years under Fox management, including $55 million in 2003.

In the last four years, all under McCourt management, the Dodgers turned a profit of $111 million, including $38 million last year.

"The Dodgers would not sell at a distressed price," Galatioto said. "There would be very strong bids if the team goes on the market.

"It's a tribute to the McCourts and the job they have done with the team."

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Posey doing work, ROY
smokin.gif

Aside from Kershaw, Billingsley and the Gayfair Monsoon, there really isn't much to care about in 2010 in LA. I can't wait for Winter Ball to pick up, watching these idiots on a daily basis is a pile of steaming dog +@$!. Went to Home Depot and bought a tote to put away my Dodger gear, all of it except my fitteds. Cleared up a ton of closet and drawer space
smh.gif
smh.gif

They can win this series for all I care, my prediction for the final 25 games will still have an outside chance of coming true.

I'm still a fan, but not really pulling for them to win anything the rest of the season. Through thick and thin, right? In that case, let it be as thin as can be
pimp.gif
i can imagine the size of that thing

cargo_container_1.46171311.jpg

I'm not real sure how much weight to put into it but:
-According to CSNNE.com's Sean McAdam (Twitter link), Andre Ethier "has told some [he] would love to come to Boston."  McAdam doesn't elaborate on whether or not Ethier really wants out of L.A. or that the Dodgers would consider moving him, but in another tweet McAdam writes that he has "a feeling, that given the mess the franchise is in, nothing [is] off table."

I'm effing sick.  I'm effing sick of this owner.  I'm effing sick of this GM.  I'm 34 years old and haven't experienced a World Series win since I was 12.  Now we're going to trade the one guy on our team that we should be building around?
As far as Dre leaving, I don't blame him.
My prediction for the off season?  Kemp is gone.  Ethier is gone.  Bills is gone.  For $0.10 on the dollar.  Scraps.
If those a-holes think I'm taking my family of four to a friggin A.J. Ellis bobblehead night, they can kiss my $*@.
Colletti came out and said they would "make more noise" this offseason than last.  I'm calling BS on that.
I'm don't even know what to @#%!$ about anymore....

-J-

Originally Posted by JBug88

I'm not real sure how much weight to put into it but:
-According to CSNNE.com's Sean McAdam (Twitter link), Andre Ethier "has told some [he] would love to come to Boston."  McAdam doesn't elaborate on whether or not Ethier really wants out of L.A. or that the Dodgers would consider moving him, but in another tweet McAdam writes that he has "a feeling, that given the mess the franchise is in, nothing [is] off table."

I'm effing sick.  I'm effing sick of this owner.  I'm effing sick of this GM.  I'm 34 years old and haven't experienced a World Series win since I was 12.  Now we're going to trade the one guy on our team that we should be building around?
As far as Dre leaving, I don't blame him.
My prediction for the off season?  Kemp is gone.  Ethier is gone.  Bills is gone.  For $0.10 on the dollar.  Scraps.
If those a-holes think I'm taking my family of four to a friggin A.J. Ellis bobblehead night, they can kiss my $*@.
Colletti came out and said they would "make more noise" this offseason than last.  I'm calling BS on that.
I'm don't even know what to @#%!$ about anymore....

-J-

Ehh, I was 14 months old, so I have zero recollection of a World Series in LA.

We all knew this was going to happen, whether the writer was just pulling quotes out of their +@%, or it being a legitimate one doesn't matter. Where's the .jpeg of Dre in a Boston uni and Kemp in NYY? I can't find it.

I hardly went to any games this season, when I went to maybe 45 counting the trips to SF, SD and the interleague games in Anaheim. I've maybe attended a dozen games in 2010, if that many.

Beyond opening day 2011 I can't see me going to much else.

The best seat in the house is on the living room sofa anyway, not anywhere in the rubble that McCourtLand sits

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

with dodger season been over nothing will be better then @*#*@%% up the giants

Might as well, especially when they can make them look like !%!!$$@ at their own stadium
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

CincoSeisDos wrote:
Gibbons went to MHS, that's how local he is
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 at any of us thinking  in april that he would be our clean up hitter in mid september

btw
IRONMAN i heard Vin say last night that the players leave a nice lil "generous" tip for the clubhouse attendant when theyre leaving after a series.  so is that guy caking big time? 

btw
IRONMAN i heard Vin say last night that the players leave a nice lil "generous" tip for the clubhouse attendant when theyre leaving after a series.  so is that guy caking big time?
Every Major League team operates differently.

The Dodgers have three full time guys on the home side (Clubhouse Manager, 2 assistants) and one full time guy on the visiting side (Visiting Clubhouse Manager).  The Clubhouse Manager is in charge of all of them.

Visiting teams tip per visit, the players tip at the end of the series.  They also tip on an individual basis if they have one of the "clubbies" run a favor for them which can range from getting an item autographed, to getting food, to getting their car washed (a lot of players are based out of SoCal, so they drive their own vehicles), to handing a baseball to a pretty lady in the stands with the players number on it (It's rare, but it happens *cough* David Wright *cough*
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
).

Visiting side has a handfull of part time "clubbies" plus the Umpire Room Attendant (They tip well).  The part timers are college kids (think waiter, valet), they live off tips.  They work about 30-40 hours per homestand, doing crappy work (laundry, making sure the spread is ready, being a "go-fer") for minium wage.  They only work during the season as well, so "no baseball, no work".

Every team tips differently and conducts themselves differently.  Let's just say I wasn't shocked with what Brandon Phillips said about the Cardinals, "clubbies" seem to really like when the Rockies come to town (low maintenance, fun bunch, tip well).  The Yankees have better security than Obama.

The big tip at the end of the series is usually split amongst the group, and it also has to cover groceries, magazines, newspapers, etc.

The money is on the home side though.  More hours, fat tip at the end of the year and perks.  One of the clubbies I'm cool with hit me up one night to make a run with him.  He needed someone to drive with him to San Diego, pick up Rafael Furcal's Bentley at PetCo Park and drive it back to Dodger Stadium.  I was busy, I passed, but that's the type of $%$@ they do.  From what they tell me, it's a cool gig, but it gets old.  Reason why they move on after college or when they get too old to wear the bat boy uniforms (part time clubbies).

i dont know why, but i would have never thought that. i thought players would be on some diva +$*! and expect things to be done for them. but im just surprised at so many things people tip for nowadays (no im not a cheapskate, im just amazed at some of the things/places people tip for)
im not sure of you can get into specifics, but what is considered a "generous tip?" is that split amongst all the "clubbies?"
newspapers, mags? stuff like that isnt provided by the home team/stadium?
but groceries? what the hell do these guys want? some fresh bacon and cereal?
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
I KNEW this was the type of #$%! that was going to happen since all of these pieces were being written on Lilly and his performance in LA
laugh.gif

Posey doing work, ROY
smokin.gif

pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Posey doing work, ROY
smokin.gif

pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom