OFFICIAL 2010 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD : Mods, please lock. Thanks.

So, after a disappointing 2010 season, frustrating beyond belief both on and off the field, it's finally come to a close. . . at least the on-field portion has.

We finished Fourth, 79-82.

Some questions I asked at the beginning of the season thread:

Do we repeat? Do we even sniff October? Do we make it to the NLCS for the third time in as many years? Do we actually win more than one game in the series?

Will Manny, Russell, Loney and the rest of the lackluster 09 performers show up and earn their big checks in 2010?

What happens with ownership? Today, on Tiger Woods day, we have even more articles about the McC's.

Obviously, we didn't repeat. Our pursuit of the postseason in my opinion  was over after that terrible Yankee series. It was downhill from there.

Manny is gone, but he did put up productive numbers outside of the HRs, but he's gone so that's done.

Martin and Loney? I'd like to see how you guys feel about their 09/10 numbers.

Where do we stand with ownership? Well, the "trial" ended this past week, now the judge has up until the holidays to make his decision, or they settle.
  They're scheduled to meet for mediation on the 8th or 15th (I forget) to see where they stand as far as a settlement is concerned, but honestly i'd be surprised if this happened. I don't think they come to any sort of agreement, and the judge throws out both MPAs. But then again i'm no legal expert and am basing my decision on the fact that since there are two signed and notarized MPAs you can't pick or choose one over the other, no matter "who wanted what".

We have holes in LF, 2B (IMO) and aside from Clayton and Chad, we've got three spots open. I don't know what will become of our bullpen. We also have a GM who is on the record as saying he will be very active this offseason.

Does any one of the core get moved? Who will Ned sign? Who will he deal? Do any of the MilB'ers get a shot?

The earliest move for the 2011 season is Donny heading to Arizona and manage the Desert Dogs, with Torre along his side to assist (
laugh.gif
) in the transition. Among those he'll be managing will be :

RP Justin Miller
RP Javy Guerra
RP Jon Link
C Matt Wallach
SS Ivan De Jesus
1B Jerry Sands
OF Trayvon Robinson
TBA

Who will TBA be? (paging PMAC)

Comments, thoughts, opinions? You make the moves.

Can't wait for Winter League ball
smokin.gif
laugh.gif

i'll probably be the only one in here, you dudes up on your foozball, basketball, and French the lone hockeyman
laugh.gif

Matt kemp ended the season well, but too late for that. He's predicting a 40/40 next year and I think he's gonna beast since it's his big chance/stage to show himself to the yanks/sox and get that huge payday

Martin and Loney? I'd like to see how you guys feel about their 09/10 numbers.
Not really much to say about how they did this year, but Loney's got one more year to develop some power, and Martin will only be back if he takes a pay cut which I would guess that he will. I feel okay about a Martin/Barajas tandem if Donnie can commit to resting Russ regularly.

Wheredo we stand with ownership? Well, the "trial" ended this past week, nowthe judge has up until the holidays to make his decision, or theysettle.
  They're scheduled to meet for mediation on the 8th or 15th(I forget) to see where they stand as far as a settlement is concerned,but honestly i'd be surprised if this happened. I don't think they cometo any sort of agreement, andthe judge throws out both MPAs. But then again i'm no legal expert andam basing my decision on the fact that since there are two signed and notarized MPAs you can't pick or choose one over the other, no matter "who wanted what".
I just pray they don't settle.
The earliest move for the 2011 season is Donny heading to Arizona and manage the Desert Dogs, with Torre along his side to assist (
laugh.gif
) in the transition. Among those he'll be managing will be :

RP Justin Miller
RP Javy Guerra
RP Jon Link
C Matt Wallach
SS Ivan De Jesus
1B Jerry Sands
OF Trayvon Robinson
TBA

Who will TBA be? (paging PMAC)

Hasn't been announced yet. Word is that Sands will be trying 3B out in the AFL. He played it the second to last game of the year in AA. Would be big for our organizational depth chart if he could play well there.

16th pick in the first round, 13th in every round after that because of unsigned guys from last years draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers shopped Loney around.

Hell, nearly no one is untouchable except for Kershaw.

Broxton you bum, sucks that you proved me right every single year I called you a bum. But this year, I really did kinda bad for him. He's just a little !!!+!.

This season was pretty much predictable as hell, when our biggest off-season splash was going all in on Jamey Carroll - we knew something was up
30t6p3b.gif

Very disappointing and embarrassing, but something has got to be done.

I think outside of Jansen, Bills, and Kershaw, everyone else is fair game.

I'll never forget the look of desperation of Broxton out on the mound looking to the dugout quite a few times during his meltdown against the Yankees. The fact that Torre refused to take any sort of blame this past weekend when asked about that night and how it might've affected Broxton pissed me off, he just brushed it off by saying "he's got some scrambled eggs up there"
30t6p3b.gif
If there's a market for him, then make it happen. It's his walk year, so why not(IF we can get a decent return on him, although Don already committed to him for '11) ? Just sign someone serviceable in order to take a few saves alongside Jansen and we're good money.

Ely needs to figure it out, he's really pitched himself out of a #5 spot in the second half. Kemp needs to put it all together, and Ethier needs to nurse that hand.

Bellisario and Sherrill were doomed from the jump, we knew this, and they proved us right. Does Sherrill stay?

Furcal needs to rest up that back, although I wish we'd get a platoon going next season with DeJesus or Gordon. Would also love to see Robinson/Pods in LF, but again, neither will happen.

I read about Sands getting some PT at third in AZ, that'd be a solid move and i'm in favor of it.

Do we know who in the organization is headed to the winter leagues?

Big changes regarding the offseason starting this year:

* Instead of the typical 15-day free agent filing period following the World Series, it will be five days.
* Typically the deadline for a team to offer arbitration to its own free agents has been December 1st; it's now November 23rd.
* December 7th has been the deadline for free agents to accept or decline arbitration offers from their old teams; it's now November 30th.
* December 12th has been the non-tender deadline; it's now December 2nd.
* The above dates are confirmed. On the unconfirmed side, there is word that the Rule 5 draft may be moved to November 20th. The Rule 5 draft typically marks the end of the Winter Meetings, but that gathering takes place from December 6-9 this year in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
* The goal here, according to Stark, is to lengthen the offseason free agent negotiating period, resulting in fewer unsigned players in February and March.

EDIT: First power move, Schaefer won't be returning. http://sports.espn.go.com...lb/news/story?id=5645899

"He probably stuck a pin in my bat," Andre Ethier jokingly said of Vladimir Shpunt, the physicist-turned-healer hired by the Dodgers.

Bench coach Bob Schaefer smiled.

"We should have kept him on," Schaefer said.
roll.gif
roll.gif

First order of business should be:

3c40c90f1938a5e12fbf5a04842ae949.gif

Dude's 15 minutes of fame are definitely up
laugh.gif

Well they need to revamp the coaching staff, let's get a new attitude in the clubhouse.

Other than that, can't make any predictions or be optimistic until the whole trial is over.

It's going to be an interesting off season.  Hopefully the judge spills the two words that I care about: "Community Property".

I have zero faith in this ownership.

Will they go out and sign anybody?

Just ideas that I have thrown around to fill some holes.

Bring back Adrian Beltre, we don't have a successor at 3b, Beltre wouldn't mind coming back, give him a 3-4 year deal.  Move Casey Blake to 1b and shop Loney around for an arm.

The key to this being that Blake's contract expires after the 2011 season, leaving a huge hole at first base for someone to fill...
nerd.gif

Try to bring in a good 2b, Theriot is not the answer.

Re-sign Lilly/Kuroda.
Re-sign Barajas.
Work out a reasonable 2 year deal with Russ.
Non-tender Sherrill.
Non-tender Theriot.

Try to bring in a solid Closer...Rafael Soriano
nerd.gif
.  Broxton is locked in, move him to the 8th, although that would make him a very expensive set up man.

Ely doesn't need to figure it out, the problem is Ely got figured out. 

Would also love to see Robinson/Pods in LF
sick.gif

Robinson is not ready, from Cal League in 2009 to MLB in 2011 that's a big jump.  $*%@ Podsednik, he's garbage.  The white variant Juan Pierre.

All of this is null & void if the McCourts keep the team.

While i'm not a fan of Scott, i'm putting myself in Neds shoes in making that observation.

I disagree with spending on a closer, it's wasted money IMHO.

hey guys.

sad to see the season end, but glad the guys kinda found a positive week to leave with.

some ideas i have and liked from what i read so far..

i have been telling people that Beltre would be awesome to have back.. he will be looking for a big deal, and even tho i think its pure fantasy.. it would be a nice catch.
never thought abuot moving blake to first... but i like him as a bench/backup 3rd baseman..

i really hope the bellisario/sherril/troncoso stuff gets sorted, as in removed..  even tho it probably wont because its basically our entire bullpen minus jensen and kuo. 

with my some what limited knowledge in how this could be doable, i would think outside the box and talk to the sox about trading papplebon for broxton straight up.. dude effed up their team as much as our bum did, and maybe they just need a change of scenery.. i know thats video game talk, in terms of that trade happening, but hey.. i like the idea.

i think the trade that is gonna hurt the most since losing pedro martinez was the dotel for macdo and lambo. 
especially now since we have NOTHING but a PTBNL.

UN EFFING REAL.

i would love to see billz and clay get 18 wins next year.  the team needs a new young hero, a number they can retire 15 to 20 years from now.. and i want that to be cershaw.
i agree with iron man about Ely... i think everyone just figured him out.  he was pitching the same, and the scouts got to him.  lets hope if we retain Lilly, that maybe he can learn from him somewhat, since they both pitch the same style.

i was at the yankees game.. worst game i have ever been to interms of how i felt after. and i dont think there will be one to top that for a while.

thats it for now...
all in all it was another fun season with you guys. and enjoyed hearing what you had to say.  think its my 3rd season following the dodgers thread on NT, and i had a good time.

smokin.gif

Wow, finally on board with what I've been saying Broxton is what he is, a setup girl.

But $7m is too hefty for the +@%!%.

This team has been lacking consistent POWER at either corner position.

Loney is easily replaceable, things need to get fixed let's go.

No more of russ or ramon ortiz experiements, bring in quality arms.

smokin.gif

Wow, finally on board with what I've been saying Broxton is what he is, a setup girl.

But $7m is too hefty for the @+#!$.

smokin.gif

But $7m is too hefty for the %!!%*.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Matt kemp ended the season well, but too late for that. He's predicting a 40/40 next year and I think he's gonna beast since it's his big chance/stage to show himself to the yanks/sox and get that huge payday

40/40? 
grin.gif

Watching Matt Kemp play this year makes me seriously wonder if he is EVER going to make that step to become one of the games best (I know, I know...hes young.....hes raw.....he shows flashes of brilliance...or whatever rebuttal you are about to give me).  I know he came on strong at the end.  But Kemp was flat out horrible this year, and looked lost a lot of the time.  But he was bad in all aspects of baseball.

His approach at home plate was terrible.  Swinging at a ton of pitches out of the zone...particularly the sweeping breaking ball outside, taking pitches down the middle....just looking confused as hell up there.  His batting average dropped.  His on base percentage dropped.  He was barely over the mendoza line with runners in scoring position.  

He might be the worst base runner of all time.  He is really fast.  Great.  But he gets terrible reads on balls hit.  He gets horrendous jumps on stolen base attempts.  He gets picked off in key situations.  He is the perfect example of why it takes more than speed to be a good baserunner.

He is probably the most overrated fielder I have ever seen.  His gold glove last year is laughable.  He gets the worst reads on balls and sometimes can make up for it with his athleticism to make up for it.  He takes terrible routes and was the butt of a lot of jokes between me and my good friend (dodger fan/cf in college).  

I have to admit, after last season, I thought he was going to be the next big superstar (offensively).  I thought he was going to be a perennial .300 hitter with 30 bombs and 100 rbi.  I am not saying he will never be able to do it, but I no longer would count on it after this season.  Watching him this year was often like watching a great athlete try to play baseball rather than a baseball player who was a great baseball player.  Someone who never played the game before.  

What are your guys' thoughts?  Do you still think/expect him to be a great player one day?

Originally Posted by dland24

What are your guys' thoughts?  Do you still think/expect him to be a great player one day?

He's human, and I honestly think he had other things on his mind besides baseball. 

When he wants to be great, he will be great. As soon as he learns the ropes on how to be a professional. 

Look how he ended the season.  He promised to end it with a bang, and he did.  That's the Matt Kemp we've been waiting on, and still waiting....

http://www.latimes.com/sp...006,0,344837,full.column
"If you want to continue to perform at the highest level, you have to keep building the business," Moreno said. "And that's what I intend to do."
While McCourt's lieutenant Ned Colletti faces the media with no answers about how much money he can spend, Moreno steps forward to promise to spend whatever is necessary.

Oh, yeah, and he is now also on record saying that absurdly cheap promotion of four tickets, four hot dogs and four sodas for $44 is coming back.

"I love that thing," he said. "Because our fans love that thing."

"Championship teams develop their players like we have, we know that," he said. "But sometimes when the prospects aren't there, you have to bridge that area, and I'm willing to do that."

He said that after revenue sharing the Angels will lose money this year. Yet he said that's not going to stop him from spending it.

"The fans need to see that we are doing something," he said. "And it's not just on the field. Are the bathrooms clean? Does the women's bathroom have enough paper? Do we have enough ice?"

THAT is what an owner should be discussing after a disappointing season

This man gets it
30t6p3b.gif

I bought an authentic alternate blue alternate from 99 that the original owner customized with their last name. It's maybe 7 letters ( I forget), but I want to make it a CHP kungfukick jersey if the glue doesn't look terrible, if it does i'll make it a Sheffield

I bought an authentic alternate blue alternate from 99 that the original owner customized with their last name. It's maybe 7 letters ( I forget), but I want to make it a CHP kungfukick jersey if the glue doesn't look terrible, if it does i'll make it a Sheffield

That's the thing, I don't know. I mean, i'm sure I can start with that but I don't want to risk it without knowing the alternatives.

I'm a clumsy lefty, I rather take it easy haha

Back
Top Bottom