Official 2010-2011 San Jose Sharks Playoff Thread vs Vancouver Canucks; Vancouver Advances

Got my free tickets for Sundays game.

pimp.gif

[h1]Scrimmage shows improved passing, talking on defense[/h1]

Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle October 7, 2010 04:00 AM Copyright San Francisco Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Prod

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The long stretches of stagnant offensive sets and relying on isolation plays that have haunted the Warriors just might be a thing of the past.

During the first week of training camp, the players have talked about making the extra pass and having an abundance of playmakers. On Wednesday, in the team's first open scrimmage, they put the new look on display.

The starters won the 32-minute scrimmage 68-47, dishing out 22 assists on 28 field goals and shooting 58.3 percent from the floor.

"These guys are willing to pass," head coach Keith Smart said. "I was really impressed that they were trying to move the basketball and to make the extra pass that got someone an open shot."

The unselfish play has gotten so contagious that the coaching staff is now charting what they call "the Gretzky," the pass that sets up the assist.

"In the past, we were so talented on offense that sometimes we just stood and watched someone go one-on-one," said Stephen Curry, who had 25 points and four assists. "Now, all five guys want to pass and make plays, so it's even more difficult to stop.

"It can be a killer for us."

It's not only the point guard. Monta Ellis had seven assists, power forward David Lee had four and small forward Dorell Wright had three to go with his 20 points.

"We all see how easy it is to get shots when you play like that," Wright said. "We're playing with five playmakers, and it makes the whole thing very, very easy."

A lot of the passing is being attributed to a united locker room. After a season-ticket holders' event Monday, 14 players went to dinner.

Having more than a handful go out together in the past would have been news.

"We're all making an effort to get to know each other and not let the relationships only be in the locker room," Curry said. "When you get to know a guy, you start to care for him and want to work harder for him."

Talking the talk: The Warriors were more vocal on defense than they have been in years. They weren't always in the correct help positions, but their communication often made up for the training-camp lapses.

"We put 30 minutes a day in on defensive communication and talking," Smart said. "They're buying in. Your voice can get there before your body."

Curry said the defensive communication really slipped last season, when guys were playing tired. "The effort might have been there, but you're not all on the same page when you're not talking. Just saying one word can help anticipate a play."

Biedrins shut out: Of the 15 guys who played, center Andris Biedrins was the only one to go scoreless. The Warriors, however, will take his two blocked shots and three rebounds in about 17 minutes.

Highlights: Forward Vernon Goodridge, whose prolific dunks are being charted by teammates, was in the game for only 35 seconds when he slammed home an offensive rebound. ... Brandan Wright was aggressive on the second unit, recording 12 points and six rebounds. Smart said he "showed some flashes" and will be used at both forward spots, but not center.

Injuries: Lou Amundson is still slowed by a sore back, but the Warriors are hoping he can return to contact drills soon and participate in four or five of the team's eight preseason games. ... Rodney Carney missed the scrimmage with a bruised right hip.

Still haven't played it like I thought I would. I always want to tweak the roster, but then I feel like I'm cheating so I quit.

No mention of Jeremy Lin in that recap. Dude looked lost out there and couldn't get past Aaron Miles who outplayed Lin.

P.S. Lin does indeed drive a Camry and didn't stop to sign anything. Was on the phone, probably with his mom telling her he'll return the Toyota by 10.

Originally Posted by What up

No mention of Jeremy Lin in that recap. Dude looked lost out there and couldn't get past Aaron Miles who outplayed Lin.

P.S. Lin does indeed drive a Camry and didn't stop to sign anything. Was on the phone, probably with his mom telling her he'll return the Toyota by 10.
Were there lots of Asians wearing kneepads?

Originally Posted by acidicality

Did you see me out there? I was the one with the kneepads
tongue.gif
Fixed.

Was it just me or was it awkward when Monta kept saying he's trying to do the "teach me how to Dougie." Anyways, enough bashing, Monta's communication skills has become a lot more polished. His voice seems to have changed as well. Maybe he's ready for this "head leader" role.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by acidicality

Did you see me out there? I was the one with the kneepads
tongue.gif
Fixed.

Aw hell naw.
laugh.gif

If I actually went and saw him there, I think they'd have to cancel the practice.

Coliseum Authority claims Warriors owe $10 million in back rent, fees
OAKLAND -- The Golden State Warriors have a new owner and a new look, but the organization continues to play the same old game of not paying its bills to its public landlord.

The team, purchased earlier this year for a record $450 million, refuses to pay the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority more than $10.7 million it owes in rent and other fees under its lease agreement.

"In a community where 10 percent of the police force has been laid off, for them to be in arrears $10.7 million is outrageous," said Jon Streeter, an attorney with Keker and Van Nest, a San Francisco law firm hired by the authority.

The Warriors stopped paying bills in 2006, just four years after the organization settled a previous $25 million dispute with the authority over payments for its lease.

While the authority immediately notified the team that it was in violation of its lease agreement, it decided not to press the issue in the courts because of rumors that owner Chris Cohan was looking to sell the franchise.

"It's been under the radar. We have not taken steps to publicize it at this point because we thought the sale was a delicate matter," Streeter said.

That opinion changed late last year when the Warriors filed a claim with an arbitrator saying the authority owed the organization money for a new scoreboard it installed and had failed to schedule enough non-basketball events at the Oracle Arena.

Under the current lease agreement,
Advertisement
the two sides share certain revenues for events, such as concerts, that are held at the arena.

The authority responded with its own claim that the Warriors were refusing to pay more than $10.7 million in fees.

Just as both sides were about to make their case before an arbitrator in July, the Warriors requested a delay because of the sale of the franchise to Boston Celtics minority partner Joe Lacob and Mandalay Entertainment CEO Peter Guber.

While the authority agreed to delay arguments on the Warriors original claim, it refused to agree to delay its $10.7 million claim.

Retired Judge William Cahill, the arbitrator in the case, sided with the authority, ruling that arguments on the original claim would be delayed but that the authority's counterclaim would continue.

Last month, Cahill reached a decision agreeing with the authority that the Warriors owed the public more than $10.7 million. In addition, Cahill ruled that the team could be held in contempt of court for knowingly refusing to pay its bills.

"Despite awareness "... the Warriors specifically decided to stop paying the owed facilities fees," Cahill wrote in his ruling. "The evidence presented at this arbitration shows that the Warriors failed to make timely payments of facilities fees despite the knowledge."

Although the Warriors have yet to schedule a hearing on its original claim, the organization filed a lawsuit this month asking a San Francisco Superior Court judge to overturn Cahill's rulings.

It remains unclear who in the organization -- outgoing owner Cohen or new owners Lacob and Guber -- is making the decisions to fight the arbitrator's ruling.

Raymond Ridder, the team's executive director for public relations, declined to comment Thursday.

Streeter said he hopes the issue can be resolved once Lacob and Guber officially take over the franchise later this month when the NBA is scheduled to approve the sale.

Until then, Streeter said, it appears the team and its outgoing owner continue to play the game of not paying what is due that began when Cohan first bought the franchise.

"This is Cohan's dirty laundry and it will prove to be an embarrassment to him if he does not clean it up," Streeter said. "This guy is rolling in money. For him to be withholding money like this from the public entities that badly need it, people need to know about it."

Screw you Cohan!

Good looks on the links Andrew.

Steph Curry 
eek.gif
pimp.gif
. What up was right, Lin looked a bit lost out there and didn't really do much.

Vladamir Radmonahdjlfjsvic still sucks.

Back
Top Bottom