OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Has this been the CRAZIEST 6-7 month period in NBA history?

I can only think of one comparable time period: end of 98 season to the lockout.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I'm sorry, but trying follow the 1 out of the 100 route, is not a good idea. 

If your 5 top 10's are all at 6 and below at the 5 positions, that ain't gonna get it done.  And BTW, the reason you have 5 decent top 10's at their position, is why there is no bench to speak of anyways, much the same as having 3 ELITES with not much of a bench. 

One way is 1 out of 100
Other is 99 out of 100.

That make more sense? 

I agree with that. That's why I said we would be ok. We would be good enough to be a solid playoff team.
Winning a championship though? Our bench would have to be one of the best benches in the league probably. A lot depends on if any of those guys can move into the top 5 at their position within next season. Rudy and Marc can, but that's about it. 

I'm sorry, but trying follow the 1 out of the 100 route, is not a good idea. 

If your 5 top 10's are all at 6 and below at the 5 positions, that ain't gonna get it done.  And BTW, the reason you have 5 decent top 10's at their position, is why there is no bench to speak of anyways, much the same as having 3 ELITES with not much of a bench. 

One way is 1 out of 100
Other is 99 out of 100.

That make more sense? 

I agree with that. That's why I said we would be ok. We would be good enough to be a solid playoff team.
Winning a championship though? Our bench would have to be one of the best benches in the league probably. A lot depends on if any of those guys can move into the top 5 at their position within next season. Rudy and Marc can, but that's about it. 

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Atlanta's problem is trying to play small ball. You have to get a formula that works. Look at how other teams have won and push towards that goal. If you want to go the Detroit Pistons route, do that. The difference is Prince was one of the best perimeter defenders during that time and the other 4 guys were at least top 10 in their position as well. 
5 guys that are top 10 in their position is capable of winning a championship.That doesn't mean they are all superstars though. A couple of those guys may have to be top 5 at their position though.

That's the formula the Grizz are ATTEMPTING to use, but its not working because of our draft mistakes and our bench still isn't up to par. You could say 3 of our guys are top 10 at their positon right now and those 3 are in our front line. Get us a SG that's and hope Conley can get there with a bench, and we will be ok.
I'm not even talking about ATL. I'm saying literally what 8-9 talented (non-allstar) players would you put around Joe and Al which would result in them being capable in the NBA today. Hell this hypothetical team could be put in the West if you want.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Atlanta's problem is trying to play small ball. You have to get a formula that works. Look at how other teams have won and push towards that goal. If you want to go the Detroit Pistons route, do that. The difference is Prince was one of the best perimeter defenders during that time and the other 4 guys were at least top 10 in their position as well. 
5 guys that are top 10 in their position is capable of winning a championship.That doesn't mean they are all superstars though. A couple of those guys may have to be top 5 at their position though.

That's the formula the Grizz are ATTEMPTING to use, but its not working because of our draft mistakes and our bench still isn't up to par. You could say 3 of our guys are top 10 at their positon right now and those 3 are in our front line. Get us a SG that's and hope Conley can get there with a bench, and we will be ok.
I'm not even talking about ATL. I'm saying literally what 8-9 talented (non-allstar) players would you put around Joe and Al which would result in them being capable in the NBA today. Hell this hypothetical team could be put in the West if you want.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

http://www.youtube.com/wa...COIzIpj7SY&feature=feedu

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

There are three elements that enable a team to win in this league:

Hall of Fame caliber talent
Ability to create match-up problems
Ability to play great defense

Essentially, EVERY team that has won the title excelled in at least two of these areas, while being proficient in the third. Look at the great teams in the past few years:

Lakers: Hall of fame talent (Kobe and Pau), and match up problems galore with four guys that can create their own offense.
Spurs: Defense and Talent.
Celtics: Ditto
90's Bulls: All three
90's Rockets: Defense and match ups (different in that all their only match up advantage was via Hakeem, but he was so good at passing, creating space/lanes, posting, etc that he was all they needed.

The Pistons of '04 are the exception that proves the rule. But even then one must consider that they played incredible defense, and that the Lakers essentially collapsed what with the Malone injury, and Kobe forgetting he played with an all time great center while generally being an awful player (in that series) and teammate.

As for the Grizzlies, they're not close to contending. They have exactly 1 maybe 2 legitimate players that maybe able to make up the core of a contending club. IMO, Rudy maybe able to be the second best guy on a contender, but it's a stretch.

There are three elements that enable a team to win in this league:

Hall of Fame caliber talent
Ability to create match-up problems
Ability to play great defense

Essentially, EVERY team that has won the title excelled in at least two of these areas, while being proficient in the third. Look at the great teams in the past few years:

Lakers: Hall of fame talent (Kobe and Pau), and match up problems galore with four guys that can create their own offense.
Spurs: Defense and Talent.
Celtics: Ditto
90's Bulls: All three
90's Rockets: Defense and match ups (different in that all their only match up advantage was via Hakeem, but he was so good at passing, creating space/lanes, posting, etc that he was all they needed.

The Pistons of '04 are the exception that proves the rule. But even then one must consider that they played incredible defense, and that the Lakers essentially collapsed what with the Malone injury, and Kobe forgetting he played with an all time great center while generally being an awful player (in that series) and teammate.

As for the Grizzlies, they're not close to contending. They have exactly 1 maybe 2 legitimate players that maybe able to make up the core of a contending club. IMO, Rudy maybe able to be the second best guy on a contender, but it's a stretch.

Originally Posted by PMatic

The basic forumla for a NBA champion is 2 hall of famers (or close to that), decent to solid supporting cast and a good head coach.
i would say

2 HOF players in there prime, 1 role player with all star talent, solid supporting cast and good HC.

The basic forumla for a NBA champion is 2 hall of famers (or close to that), decent to solid supporting cast and a good head coach.
i would say

2 HOF players in there prime, 1 role player with all star talent, solid supporting cast and good HC.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i would say

If that's the case, people shouldn't hate the Heat for what they did. 
laugh.gif

But, there's a reason why only the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics and Pistons are the only team to win a championship in the past decade. 

If this is the case, then why even talk about other teams even making it to the Finals? 
laugh.gif
  But, the Spurs, Lakers and Celtics won't be there for much longer. So, which 2 or 3 teams take their place for the next decade? Miami and who else? Of course you have the Spurs, Lakers and Celtics going this season and probably next season. It'll be interesting to see who steps up after the 2012 season.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i would say

If that's the case, people shouldn't hate the Heat for what they did. 
laugh.gif

But, there's a reason why only the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics and Pistons are the only team to win a championship in the past decade. 

If this is the case, then why even talk about other teams even making it to the Finals? 
laugh.gif
  But, the Spurs, Lakers and Celtics won't be there for much longer. So, which 2 or 3 teams take their place for the next decade? Miami and who else? Of course you have the Spurs, Lakers and Celtics going this season and probably next season. It'll be interesting to see who steps up after the 2012 season.

Based off Hoopshype, the Heat deals are only for 4 years? 
eek.gif

That means they could do this all over again in 2014 if they wanted?  Bron would be 30 that season, Wade 34 (so I doubt he would opt out at that point) and Bosh 30 as well I think. 

Is that accurate?  I thought it was 5 year deals with a 6th as the options.  That basically means 3 years, and another summer/year/trading deadline of rumors and offers and all the other fun stuff. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

eek.gif

That means they could do this all over again in 2014 if they wanted?  Bron would be 30 that season, Wade 34 (so I doubt he would opt out at that point) and Bosh 30 as well I think. 

Is that accurate?  I thought it was 5 year deals with a 6th as the options.  That basically means 3 years, and another summer/year/trading deadline of rumors and offers and all the other fun stuff. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That was almost like player collusion though.

It was well played but it still felt kinda dirty in the end.

That was almost like player collusion though.

It was well played but it still felt kinda dirty in the end.

eek.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

come on CP.

you really didnt read all that durning the summer?

eek.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

come on CP.

you really didnt read all that durning the summer?

eek.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Pretty sure it was five year deals with option after year four.

eek.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Pretty sure it was five year deals with option after year four.

Back
Top Bottom