OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by Proshares

If the Mavs get another scorer via a trade or Caron is really serious about being back for the playoffs...I may rethink that.
Banking on Caron coming back and being anywhere near ready to play at the level he was damn well better not be their strategy...
sick.gif

They need a trade. This team, I think, might actually be close... It might actually be one piece away instead of two or three like the last few years.

If the Mavs get another scorer via a trade or Caron is really serious about being back for the playoffs...I may rethink that.
Banking on Caron coming back and being anywhere near ready to play at the level he was damn well better not be their strategy...
sick.gif

They need a trade. This team, I think, might actually be close... It might actually be one piece away instead of two or three like the last few years.

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

CP1708 wrote:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Are you really this stupid, or you just try to be funny?  Which is it?  

Every @#$%^& time the Lakers lose a game, you show up.   We win, can't find you.  You better be PRAYING to God right this second that the Spurs win the championship.  And I mean, PRAY. 

PRAY.

Otherwise, say hi to OC for me. 
Funny.
Just don't understand why Phil is upset. Could you explain the point of him being upset CP.
I'm not even in the same room as dude. LA has won the last two years and I'm still here. So stop it. NT is great.
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

So you're stupid then?  That's what you're telling me?  You don't have the ability to think for yourself?  Are you wearing a little helmet right now reading the internet? 

Last year you had your sig as "it's a marathon, not a sprint" while your team was walking along, now you're acting like every single game is the most meaningful game of the year. 
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Meanwhile I been sayin for years that these games don't matter, nor will I ever change my stance. 

Phil has ELEVEN rings.  ELEVEN.  The dude has a @#$%^& championship ring on his pinkie toe dude.  I highly, highly doubt the man loses sleep over games in Oct-March. 

Why was he pissed?  Maybe to motivate his guys for the last game before the all star break.  Maybe because he's lost in Charlotte like 4 years straight.  (did that affect us the previous years?
wink.gif
)  Maybe he warned them before the game, 4th game in 5 nights, be ready, bring energy, and they didn't do what he said.  Maybe he's mad losing to MJ.  Maybe he bet money on the game.  Who @#$%^& knows?  But do you, HONESTLY think that Phil Jackson, and the YEARS of quotes/articles from him where he says the regular season it too long, it's boring, the shots of him sitting there cleaning his glasses while another team goes on a 15-0 run, when he doesn't take timeouts during big runs, doesn't make substitutions, you REALLY think the regular season games matter, to PHIL JACKSON?  Is that your stance?  Is this what your expert NBA knowledge leads you to believe?  Don't duck out on me @#$%^&^%$#@& answer the questions.  I wanna hear you say the @#$%.  I wanna see you go on record as to what you think Phil cares about.  [Bart Scott]  CAN'T WAIT [Bart Scott]

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

CP1708 wrote:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Are you really this stupid, or you just try to be funny?  Which is it?  

Every @#$%^& time the Lakers lose a game, you show up.   We win, can't find you.  You better be PRAYING to God right this second that the Spurs win the championship.  And I mean, PRAY. 

PRAY.

Otherwise, say hi to OC for me. 
Funny.
Just don't understand why Phil is upset. Could you explain the point of him being upset CP.
I'm not even in the same room as dude. LA has won the last two years and I'm still here. So stop it. NT is great.
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

So you're stupid then?  That's what you're telling me?  You don't have the ability to think for yourself?  Are you wearing a little helmet right now reading the internet? 

Last year you had your sig as "it's a marathon, not a sprint" while your team was walking along, now you're acting like every single game is the most meaningful game of the year. 
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Meanwhile I been sayin for years that these games don't matter, nor will I ever change my stance. 

Phil has ELEVEN rings.  ELEVEN.  The dude has a @#$%^& championship ring on his pinkie toe dude.  I highly, highly doubt the man loses sleep over games in Oct-March. 

Why was he pissed?  Maybe to motivate his guys for the last game before the all star break.  Maybe because he's lost in Charlotte like 4 years straight.  (did that affect us the previous years?
wink.gif
)  Maybe he warned them before the game, 4th game in 5 nights, be ready, bring energy, and they didn't do what he said.  Maybe he's mad losing to MJ.  Maybe he bet money on the game.  Who @#$%^& knows?  But do you, HONESTLY think that Phil Jackson, and the YEARS of quotes/articles from him where he says the regular season it too long, it's boring, the shots of him sitting there cleaning his glasses while another team goes on a 15-0 run, when he doesn't take timeouts during big runs, doesn't make substitutions, you REALLY think the regular season games matter, to PHIL JACKSON?  Is that your stance?  Is this what your expert NBA knowledge leads you to believe?  Don't duck out on me @#$%^&^%$#@& answer the questions.  I wanna hear you say the @#$%.  I wanna see you go on record as to what you think Phil cares about.  [Bart Scott]  CAN'T WAIT [Bart Scott]

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

sick.gif

I think they're a lot closer than any other team in the West TBH.  I wouldn't count SA out but I think the Mavs have a better shot.  But like you said, depends on if they make a splash in a trade.

sick.gif

I think they're a lot closer than any other team in the West TBH.  I wouldn't count SA out but I think the Mavs have a better shot.  But like you said, depends on if they make a splash in a trade.

CP1708 wrote:

laugh.gif
roll.gif

wink.gif

Thank you for the answer. Could have been better without the other stuff but still a very solid post.

No. Maybe I was posting the wrong question. A better post would have been " Why is Phil upset about losing to the bobcats?"

CP1708 wrote:

laugh.gif
roll.gif

wink.gif

Thank you for the answer. Could have been better without the other stuff but still a very solid post.

No. Maybe I was posting the wrong question. A better post would have been " Why is Phil upset about losing to the bobcats?"

Originally Posted by JD617

Picture this. LA vs mavs WCSF with the mavs having home court.
I don't care if they play all 7 games in Dallas, I don't see the Mavs beating them in a series.
I'm not saying the Mavs are going to do anything in the playoffs, but the Lakers look far from unbeatable...

Regular season cruise control and all that, I know... But something looks off. Last year, they would coast but they still looked like the best team in basketball... This one doesn't have that look right now for me.

Oh, I definitely agree with you on that. I just don't think the Mavs are gonna be the ones to do it the way they are currently. If they make a trade, who knows.

I don't care if they play all 7 games in Dallas, I don't see the Mavs beating them in a series.
I'm not saying the Mavs are going to do anything in the playoffs, but the Lakers look far from unbeatable...

Regular season cruise control and all that, I know... But something looks off. Last year, they would coast but they still looked like the best team in basketball... This one doesn't have that look right now for me.

Oh, I definitely agree with you on that. I just don't think the Mavs are gonna be the ones to do it the way they are currently. If they make a trade, who knows.

Has this been posted yet?

Celtics-Heat: Good O loses to better D

By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

Yep, Boston beat Miami again. So what's it all mean?

First, the big picture. As far as statement games go, home team winning by three isn't exactly a fist pounding the table. Further, one can easily rationalize the Celtics' 3-0 mark against the Heat -- the wins were by eight, five and three points, and if Miami wins the final meeting on its home turf in March, this may seem like much ado about nothing.

I'm not buying the injury-riddled-Celtics line, either -- not when they knew the stakes and, as a result, played their top six players virtually the entire game. Any minutes from Shaquille O'Neal, Delonte West or Marquis Daniels would have come at the expense of one of their top six players or of Von Wafer, who scored 10 points in 14 minutes.

Finally, although Boston won the game and clinched the tiebreaker, there remains a strong possibility that a conference finals meeting between these two teams would open in Miami. Monday's Playoff Odds project the Heat to finish with 59 wins and the Celtics with 58.

With all that said, this game did not bode well for Miami in the playoffs. So instead of focusing on all the small stuff -- that Mike Miller actually took a shot, for instance, or the under-reported fact that Dwyane Wade absolutely torpedoed the much larger Glen Davis off the ball on the final play -- let's look back at the big picture of the three meetings between these teams and explain why.

In the three meetings, what stands out is how Boston's defense continues to make Miami's offense -- and, by extension, any iso-heavy offense -- look positively awful. I think this is the most important takeaway from Sunday, much more important than the big to-do about Miami's 1-6 mark against the team with the best record. (A top team struggling against other elite teams seems as though it should be important, but every shred of evidence suggests it isn't. Heat fans will be familiar with this concept, as their team won a title in 2006 despite losing to virtually every good team in the regular season.)

To me, the Miami offense versus Boston defense matchup is the major roadblock between the Heat and a championship. At full strength, I would take Miami in a seven-game series against every other team in the league, even the Lakers or San Antonio. Against Boston? It's hard to endorse the Heat when they can't score.

If you're handicapping the race for the title, it also sets up a rock-paper-scissors situation among the contenders. I think Boston likes playing Miami more than trying to handle L.A. or San Antonio. I think Miami would much rather face L.A. or San Antonio than Boston. And I think L.A. or San Antonio would much rather face Boston than see Miami in the Finals.

Unfortunately for the Heat, they're likely to have to go through Boston to get to the Lakers or Spurs. (I say this not dismissing Chicago or Orlando, but the most likely conference finals scenario is Heat-Celtics.)

But let's get back to the offense. In three games against the Celtics, the Heat have scored 80, 82 and 107 points, and even the 107 comes with an asterisk -- Miami fell way behind thanks to a 46-point first half in that game before turning on the jets late. That's been a common theme, in fact, as the Heat and Celtics have played virtually the same game three different times. In each, Boston took a double-digit lead, Miami stormed back in the fourth and then Boston made a few plays at the end to clinch it.

But all three games have been similar in another way: Wade was just awful.

If the Heat are to beat the Celtics, this can't be the case. Wade is the Miami player matched up against the weakest defender in Boston's starting five, Ray Allen. He is the one who needs to take advantage of all the extra attention the Celtics pay to LeBron James. And he's the one most capable of putting fouls on the Celtics' starters and getting into their less gifted bench.

Instead, he's been absolutely brutal. Wade was 6-of-17 with six turnovers yesterday, and it was the best game he's had against Boston this season. Overall he's 12-for-45 from the field -- that's 26.7 percent if you're scoring at home -- with an amazing 18 turnovers against just 13 assists in the first three games.

LeBron and Chris Bosh haven't gone gangbusters, either, at least by their standards, and I think there's a big-picture reason for this involving playing styles.

Miami's three aces are at their best going one-on-one. Wade is the most extreme in this regard, but James and Bosh are also most comfortable when they can stop the ball and size up the defense before attacking.

Unfortunately, we have reams of data suggesting that one-on-one offense against Boston's defense doesn't work very well. There's too much help from the big guys, and they load up on the strong side too aggressively. Because that's much of what the Heat do, this matchup may remain a vexing one come May.

In contrast, what works against Boston is the drive-kick-space approach. Those types of teams have seen their offensive games largely unaffected by going against the Celtics' normally daunting D. Even the bad ones -- think Toronto -- have put up decent offensive numbers; the Raps broke the century mark three times in four meetings and even beat Boston once.

And the decent-to-good ones? They've fared rather well. Phoenix has beat Boston three straight times. New York scored 101 and 116 in two narrow losses. Houston, Dallas and San Antonio each cleared the century mark in Boston; the first two won, and the Spurs narrowly lost. About the only team that plays this way that hasn't had a lot of offensive success against the Celtics is Orlando.

The spectacular news for the Celtics, of course, is that most of those aforementioned teams are safely ensconced in the Western Conference, and Boston may never see them come the playoffs. And the only one in the East, the Knicks, is so weak defensively that the Celtics would probably beat it anyway, even if they end up paired in a 2 versus 7 matchup in the first round.

The Heat, however, have no such luck. I'd pick them against anyone from the West, but they may never get the chance because they can't score on the Celtics. Despite the narrowness of the outcome, that's my enduring takeaway from Sunday. If it comes to a Miami-Boston Eastern Conference finals, the Heat will need to play some outrageously good defense to win, because all indications are that their offense matches up terribly against the Celtics.

Has this been posted yet?

Celtics-Heat: Good O loses to better D

By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

Yep, Boston beat Miami again. So what's it all mean?

First, the big picture. As far as statement games go, home team winning by three isn't exactly a fist pounding the table. Further, one can easily rationalize the Celtics' 3-0 mark against the Heat -- the wins were by eight, five and three points, and if Miami wins the final meeting on its home turf in March, this may seem like much ado about nothing.

I'm not buying the injury-riddled-Celtics line, either -- not when they knew the stakes and, as a result, played their top six players virtually the entire game. Any minutes from Shaquille O'Neal, Delonte West or Marquis Daniels would have come at the expense of one of their top six players or of Von Wafer, who scored 10 points in 14 minutes.

Finally, although Boston won the game and clinched the tiebreaker, there remains a strong possibility that a conference finals meeting between these two teams would open in Miami. Monday's Playoff Odds project the Heat to finish with 59 wins and the Celtics with 58.

With all that said, this game did not bode well for Miami in the playoffs. So instead of focusing on all the small stuff -- that Mike Miller actually took a shot, for instance, or the under-reported fact that Dwyane Wade absolutely torpedoed the much larger Glen Davis off the ball on the final play -- let's look back at the big picture of the three meetings between these teams and explain why.

In the three meetings, what stands out is how Boston's defense continues to make Miami's offense -- and, by extension, any iso-heavy offense -- look positively awful. I think this is the most important takeaway from Sunday, much more important than the big to-do about Miami's 1-6 mark against the team with the best record. (A top team struggling against other elite teams seems as though it should be important, but every shred of evidence suggests it isn't. Heat fans will be familiar with this concept, as their team won a title in 2006 despite losing to virtually every good team in the regular season.)

To me, the Miami offense versus Boston defense matchup is the major roadblock between the Heat and a championship. At full strength, I would take Miami in a seven-game series against every other team in the league, even the Lakers or San Antonio. Against Boston? It's hard to endorse the Heat when they can't score.

If you're handicapping the race for the title, it also sets up a rock-paper-scissors situation among the contenders. I think Boston likes playing Miami more than trying to handle L.A. or San Antonio. I think Miami would much rather face L.A. or San Antonio than Boston. And I think L.A. or San Antonio would much rather face Boston than see Miami in the Finals.

Unfortunately for the Heat, they're likely to have to go through Boston to get to the Lakers or Spurs. (I say this not dismissing Chicago or Orlando, but the most likely conference finals scenario is Heat-Celtics.)

But let's get back to the offense. In three games against the Celtics, the Heat have scored 80, 82 and 107 points, and even the 107 comes with an asterisk -- Miami fell way behind thanks to a 46-point first half in that game before turning on the jets late. That's been a common theme, in fact, as the Heat and Celtics have played virtually the same game three different times. In each, Boston took a double-digit lead, Miami stormed back in the fourth and then Boston made a few plays at the end to clinch it.

But all three games have been similar in another way: Wade was just awful.

If the Heat are to beat the Celtics, this can't be the case. Wade is the Miami player matched up against the weakest defender in Boston's starting five, Ray Allen. He is the one who needs to take advantage of all the extra attention the Celtics pay to LeBron James. And he's the one most capable of putting fouls on the Celtics' starters and getting into their less gifted bench.

Instead, he's been absolutely brutal. Wade was 6-of-17 with six turnovers yesterday, and it was the best game he's had against Boston this season. Overall he's 12-for-45 from the field -- that's 26.7 percent if you're scoring at home -- with an amazing 18 turnovers against just 13 assists in the first three games.

LeBron and Chris Bosh haven't gone gangbusters, either, at least by their standards, and I think there's a big-picture reason for this involving playing styles.

Miami's three aces are at their best going one-on-one. Wade is the most extreme in this regard, but James and Bosh are also most comfortable when they can stop the ball and size up the defense before attacking.

Unfortunately, we have reams of data suggesting that one-on-one offense against Boston's defense doesn't work very well. There's too much help from the big guys, and they load up on the strong side too aggressively. Because that's much of what the Heat do, this matchup may remain a vexing one come May.

In contrast, what works against Boston is the drive-kick-space approach. Those types of teams have seen their offensive games largely unaffected by going against the Celtics' normally daunting D. Even the bad ones -- think Toronto -- have put up decent offensive numbers; the Raps broke the century mark three times in four meetings and even beat Boston once.

And the decent-to-good ones? They've fared rather well. Phoenix has beat Boston three straight times. New York scored 101 and 116 in two narrow losses. Houston, Dallas and San Antonio each cleared the century mark in Boston; the first two won, and the Spurs narrowly lost. About the only team that plays this way that hasn't had a lot of offensive success against the Celtics is Orlando.

The spectacular news for the Celtics, of course, is that most of those aforementioned teams are safely ensconced in the Western Conference, and Boston may never see them come the playoffs. And the only one in the East, the Knicks, is so weak defensively that the Celtics would probably beat it anyway, even if they end up paired in a 2 versus 7 matchup in the first round.

The Heat, however, have no such luck. I'd pick them against anyone from the West, but they may never get the chance because they can't score on the Celtics. Despite the narrowness of the outcome, that's my enduring takeaway from Sunday. If it comes to a Miami-Boston Eastern Conference finals, the Heat will need to play some outrageously good defense to win, because all indications are that their offense matches up terribly against the Celtics.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Teams that need to be scrapped:

Charlotte
Toronto
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Memphis
New Orleans
Minnesota (Moves to Seattle)
wink.gif

Less teams will provide a better NBA product. OKC would be on this list, but it's too early for them after just arriving.
I do not respect this list. Seems half-assed. 

Very much so. Those are teams I could care less about. Except Minny of course. I'm not sure many would miss those teams if any were given the boot.

Charlotte
Toronto
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Memphis
New Orleans
wink.gif

Less teams will provide a better NBA product. OKC would be on this list, but it's too early for them after just arriving.

Very much so. Those are teams I could care less about. Except Minny of course. I'm not sure many would miss those teams if any were given the boot.

Charlotte
Toronto
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Memphis
New Orleans
wink.gif

Besides the teams' fans?
laugh.gif

Charlotte
Toronto
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Memphis
New Orleans
wink.gif

Besides the teams' fans?
laugh.gif

Charlotte
Toronto
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Memphis
New Orleans
wink.gif

Fair enough 
grin.gif

Charlotte
Toronto
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Memphis
New Orleans
wink.gif

Fair enough 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

See, a ton of people say this, and they should have every right to...

BUT.

The Mavericks and Lakers have never met in the Playoffs. The Mavericks have ALWAYS played the Lakers well, and if we had home-court?

I think we could edge them. Favorites? No of course not, but the favorite doesn't win every series.

no the favorite always wins......................well....except when the mavs are favored
roll.gif

and yea doo doo bee just needs to go back to making  posts that say he rather not be in the finals if  his team is down 2 to 3 coming back home for the last 2 games 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom