OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Brandon Roy coming off the bench? The Blazers and Roy have talked about it

http://www.oregonlive.com..._coming_off_the_ben.html
Did you even read the first sentence of the article? 

The Trail Blazers are contemplating bringing Brandon Roy off the bench to start the second half of games, but the tactic is merely in the discussion stage, according to Roy and coach Nate McMillan.

The Trail Blazers are contemplating bringing Brandon Roy off the bench to start the second half of games, but the tactic is merely in the discussion stage, according to Roy and coach Nate McMillan.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Kiddin, better sports channel?  NBATV, or MLBTV? 
nerd.gif

I like MLB's, but I gotta say, NBA switchin to games, interviews, havin former players on all the time talkin about the games, live games pretty much 4 nights a week, Gametime, it's a helluva nice product they put out. 
thank TNT for buying NBATV, thats all i watch but if TNT never took over then it would be horrible
sick.gif

nerd.gif

I like MLB's, but I gotta say, NBA switchin to games, interviews, havin former players on all the time talkin about the games, live games pretty much 4 nights a week, Gametime, it's a helluva nice product they put out. 
thank TNT for buying NBATV, thats all i watch but if TNT never took over then it would be horrible
sick.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

I posted the title and the link genius.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

I posted the title and the link genius.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

nerd.gif

sick.gif
I'll respond to this reply to cover all bases. Turner acquiring NBATV was a GREAT move. There wasn't much fanfare when it happened, because it's not like the NFL Network had been bought by a different company. The NBA sold it off to a company willing to put a lot of resources into the product, and it's infinitely better now.

Gametime pretty much alleviates the need for League Pass, for me at least. I just don't have the time to invest in flipping channels to different games. Gametime does more than enough live look-ins, plus shows all games that come down to the wire. Add on to that up-to-date interviews and analysis, and I couldn't ask for more on a (almost nightly) multiple hour news program, which is what it essentially is. And the fact all TNT personalities can be there because it's in Atlanta, and adjacent to the Inside studio, it makes for great guest analyst spots.

nerd.gif

sick.gif
I'll respond to this reply to cover all bases. Turner acquiring NBATV was a GREAT move. There wasn't much fanfare when it happened, because it's not like the NFL Network had been bought by a different company. The NBA sold it off to a company willing to put a lot of resources into the product, and it's infinitely better now.

Gametime pretty much alleviates the need for League Pass, for me at least. I just don't have the time to invest in flipping channels to different games. Gametime does more than enough live look-ins, plus shows all games that come down to the wire. Add on to that up-to-date interviews and analysis, and I couldn't ask for more on a (almost nightly) multiple hour news program, which is what it essentially is. And the fact all TNT personalities can be there because it's in Atlanta, and adjacent to the Inside studio, it makes for great guest analyst spots.

nerd.gif

sick.gif

Hmmm, obviously I knew they were connected with Ernie and Kenny bein there, and sometimes Webber and McHale, but I never realized TNT actually bought the channel itself.  Glad they did though....
pimp.gif

nerd.gif

sick.gif

Hmmm, obviously I knew they were connected with Ernie and Kenny bein there, and sometimes Webber and McHale, but I never realized TNT actually bought the channel itself.  Glad they did though....
pimp.gif

While a certain Big Three in South Beach has hogged most of the national spotlight, our TrueHoop Network bloggers are here to dish on the under-the-radar storylines in the NBA that deserve more attention. We'll start in the East, and hit the West on Wednesday.

[h4]ATLANTA HAWKS[/h4]
atl.gif
What upbeat story deserves more attention?

Before the season it seemed a question of when rather than if Jeff Teague would replace Mike Bibby as the team's starting point guard. Instead, Bibby, who is not exactly synonymous with movement, has thrived in Larry Drew's motion offense, consistently finding unguarded space on the perimeter, knocking down 53.9 percent of his 3-point attempts, and setting solid back screens to free his teammates.

What downbeat story deserves more attention?

The Hawks are (again) a mediocre defensive team because they are (again) a below-average defensive rebounding team. They've finished 24th or worse in defensive rebound rate for five straight seasons, yet the organization has not addressed this persistent weakness. Since drafting Al Horford third overall in 2007, the Hawks have used five straight picks on guards and filled out the rotation with poor (Josh Powell) or comically poor (Jason Collins) defensive rebounders.

-- Bret LaGree, Hoopinion

[h4]BOSTON CELTICS[/h4]
bos.gif

Glen Davis is no longer getting his shot blocked at the rim, drastically reducing his blocked-shot percentage from 17.9 percent last season to 5.5 percent. With this change, Davis' offensive rebound rate has decreased (from 13.7 to 5.3), but his FG percentage at the rim has risen to elite levels (51.8 to 70.4 percent). Net result: Davis is posting the highest player efficiency rating of his career (13.16). (Stats: HoopData.com)

Last year, Rasheed Wallace garnered much-deserved criticism given his poor conditioning and shot selection. This year, his replacement, Jermaine O'Neal, has played in only seven of 20 games due to injury. In those seven games, O'Neal has averaged 5.6 points per game and 3.6 rebounds while Wallace averaged about 9 ppg and 4 rpg through his first 20. So, much to everyone's surprise, the now-retired Wallace has edged O'Neal in the "reliability" category.

-- Brendan Jackson, Celtics Hub

[h4]CHARLOTTE BOBCATS[/h4]
cha.gif

Raymond Felton is putting up career bests in New York, so it may have slipped under the radar that .J. Augustin is doing a fine job filling in for Felton back in the Queen City. For the year, Augustin is averaging 13.3 points and 6.7 assists per night, within 0.3 of Felton's career averages. And while Augustin's not the defender that Felton was, Augustin's more efficient shooting helps makes up the difference.

The Bobcats' slip from playoff team last season to mid-lottery hopeful starts and ends at the defensive end. After finishing last season ranked first in defensive efficiency, Charlotte is currently 14th in points per possession allowed, without comparable offensive improvement. Is it because Tyson Chandler is in Dallas (though he played just 51 games for Charlotte last season)? Is it Felton's departure? Or have the Bobcats started to tune out Larry Brown?

-- Brett Hainline, Queen City Hoops

[h4]CHICAGO BULLS[/h4]
chi.gif

His body may look like pipe cleaners wrapped in silly putty, but Omer Asik has been a surprisingly effective backup. He's shooting 53 percent from the field and averaging 8.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per 36 minutes. According to 82games.com, the Bulls are plus-45 in net points when Asik is on the floor, one of the best figures on the team. If he can beef up and hit some free throws …

Even though Carlos Boozer missed the first 15 games of the season, James Johnson couldn't crack the rotation. He's already received nine DNP-CDs, and only two of his nine appearances showed much promise. There's no questioning his raw talent, but his basketball IQ and ability to put it all together are very much in doubt. When he's on the floor, he might hit a big bucket … or he might turn the ball over three times in a row.

-- Matt McHale, By The Horns

[h4]CLEVELAND CAVALIERS[/h4]
cle.gif

Daniel Gibson and Anderson Varejao are having excellent seasons on the offensive and defensive ends, respectively, and neither needs to control the ball to be effective. It's conceivable a contending team could want them at the trade deadline, which could help the Cavs begin rebuilding in earnest. Additionally, Antawn Jamison has been shooting well from the outside, and contenders looking for more firepower at the deadline generally covet forwards who can shoot.

Everybody expected the Cavs' offense to be much worse without LeBron, but the defense has been an absolute disaster. Nobody is playing good defense apart from Varejao, the team doesn't seem to have any sort of defensive game plan, and opponents have been getting the shots they want against the Cavaliers all season long. Given their lack of talent, the Cavaliers need to play defense to stay out of the cellar, and they haven't been.

-- John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog

[h4]DETROIT PISTONS[/h4]
det.gif

Charlie Villanueva looked at his play last season and astutely observed he didn't live up to the five-year, $37.5 million contract he signed the previous summer. Then, he told that to everyone, upping the pressure on himself. After Villanueva spent the summer working out in Detroit, he's delivered. His numbers are only moderately better, but his defense and energy are markedly improved, and he's had the team's best body language.

Tayshaun Prince, whose jack-of-all-trades play earned him a spot on the 2008 U.S. Olympic team, has become largely two-dimensional -- and those two dimensions are making 2-point shots and openly feuding with his coach. His defense hasn't been "shutdown" in years, and his rebounding and passing are on the decline, too. A recent surge has lifted his scoring average into an acceptable range, but he's not making enough 3-pointers or free throws. Someone remind Prince this is a contract year.

-- Dan Feldman, Piston Powered

[h4]INDIANA PACERS[/h4]
ind.gif

The continued evolution of Roy Hibbert's game has dwarfed everything else. In the offseason, the Darren Collison trade was expected to be the largest change in the team. That has been important, but it is Hibbert's improvement -- as a post scorer, as a passer, as a rebounder and, most importantly, as an athlete -- that has helped the team surprise people.

The team's offense continues to be, well, offensive. Around the country, every local broadcast team and not-paying-attention local writer warns opposing fans to beware of Indiana's potent, up-tempo, run-and-gun attack. In reality, the team has played better this season due to its stingy defense. The offense remains highly mediocre -- at best -- and not notably fast.

-- Jared Wade, 8 Points, 9 Seconds

[h4]MIAMI HEAT[/h4]
mia.gif

When Erik Spoelstra was burning insane hours several years ago as the Heat's video coordinator, he probably never imagined that he'd be a central character in a drama with the suffix "-gate," starring LeBron James. As the buzzards began to swirl overhead, Spoelstra handled the scrutiny with poise. He's not endowed with natural charm, but Spoelstra emerged on the other side of that adversity looking like a hero in an Aaron Sorkin screenplay.

Speculators and professional brokers make up 40 percent of sellers in the secondary ticket market in most NBA cities. In Miami, they represent 70 percent according to StubHub -- and right now they're getting beat up pretty badly. Local TV ratings for the Heat don't match the Cleveland market's numbers from the 2009-10 season. While the Heat captivate national fans who either love them or hate them, south Floridians seem more blasé.

-- Kevin Arnovitz, Heat Index

[h4]MILWAUKEE BUCKS[/h4]
mil.gif

While the Bucks' offense has been miserable all season, they've been able to continue to play the stingy defense that led them to the playoffs last season. Milwaukee's fifth in the league in defensive efficiency, and in the 13 games Andrew Bogut has played, it has allowed 100 points in regulation to only the Lakers, the league's No. 1-ranked offensive team.

From "executive of the year" to "what he was thinking isn't clear" is the fall John Hammond has experienced over the past seven months. The early returns on his acquisitions of Drew Gooden, Corey Maggette and Keyon Dooling and the re-signing of John Salmons have not been strong. Of that group, only Gooden is shooting better than 40 percent for a Bucks team that currently sits a very disappointing six games under .500.

-- Jeremy Schmidt, Bucksketball

[h4]NEW JERSEY NETS[/h4]
njn.gif

Certainly the biggest positive difference between last year and this year is production at the power forward position. While Yi Jianlian was a black hole offensively and a revolving door defensively, Kris Humphries has been a pleasant surprise on both sides of the floor. His shot selection is much improved from previous years, he provides a solid body on defense, and some of his blocks have been downright nasty -- just ask LaMarcus Aldridge.

Brook Lopez has had a shockingly down year thus far. While he's still scoring -- averaging 18.7 points per game so far -- he's doing so much less efficiently, shooting only 43.6 percent from the field as opposed to 51.2 percent his first two years. His rebounding has also declined precipitously. Perhaps it's just the lingering effects of summertime mononucleosis, but after 21 games, the lack of effort becomes more and more inexcusable.

-- Devin Kharpertian, Nets Are Scorching

[h4]NEW YORK KNICKS[/h4]
nyk.gif

One story under the radar is the reemergence of Mike D'Antoni. Some questioned whether he was just lucky in Phoenix to have Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire, and some Knicks fans have been critical of the coach, enough that Donnie Walsh felt compelled to give D'Antoni a vote of confidence. But "Il Maestro" has adjusted the offense and shortened the rotation to make the Knicks a winner.

The gray cloud over this Knicks season is the poor play of Anthony Randolph and Bill Walker. These two players were prematurely tossed aside by their former teams, and were ideal for a rejuvenation project. Last season, Walker was an amazingly efficient scorer in a partial season for New York, but is currently out of the rotation. Meanwhile, the physically gifted Randolph is completely lost in the offense, shooting a miserable 27.3 effective field goal percentage.

-- Mike Kurylo, KnickerBlogger

[h4]ORLANDO MAGIC[/h4]
orl.gif

Jameer Nelson has returned to playing at an All-Star-caliber level. When Nelson is at his best, he's one of the more efficient perimeter players in the NBA on offense. But the difference with Nelson this season is that he's passing the basketball at an excellent rate -- his assist percentage of 42.4 percent is a career best and ranks sixth in the league (ahead of notable players like Jason Kidd).

Chris Duhon has struggled as the backup point guard. Perhaps Duhon is still trying to get acclimated to coach Stan Van Gundy's offensive system, but his numbers across the board are way down and a cause for concern. It's still early and Duhon has time to right the ship, plus he's been as good as advertised on defense. But that's a storyline to keep an eye on.

-- Eddy Rivera, Magic Basketball

[h4]PHILADELPHIA 76ERS[/h4]
phi.gif

Elton Brand's resurgence. After 2009-10, experts and scouts basically put Brand out to pasture and classified him as perhaps the biggest free-agent bust of the past decade. But with no rehab necessary for him during the summer of 2010, he worked on his conditioning and his game. In 2010-11, EB has noticeably more energy on the court while going for 15 points and eight boards per night. His signing should now be upgraded from bust to questionable.

The Dalembert-for-Nocioni-and-Hawes trade was a major mistake. Yes, Samuel Dalembert's attitude was horrible and he was a major issue in the locker room -- but if he had to go, they should have gotten more for him. Andres Nocioni has gone from starter to DNP-CD because the Sixers have too many wing players. Spencer Hawes is simply awful. How does a 7-foot-1, 245-pound man average only 4.4 rebounds per game?

-- Carey Smith, Philadunkia

[h4]TORONTO RAPTORS[/h4]
tor.gif

The winner of the Toronto-New Orleans trade has to be Jerryd Bayless. The third-year guard is averaging 7.3 points and 2.9 assists playing 20 minutes in a backup role, and has a whopping PER of 23.6. He has improved the second unit's defense and is trying to shed his image as a shoot-first point guard by putting an emphasis on his passing and playmaking. Bayless fits in nicely with the youth movement already under way in Toronto.

After being handed the starting role on a platter for the second straight year, DeMar DeRozan hasn't delivered on the expectations -- in particular, his jumper, which was marked as his main area of improvement heading into the season, has been a problem. DeRozan is shooting 33 percent from 16 to 23 feet, down 5 percent from last season. This has left him no choice but to force his drive with a predictable spin move, all too easy to defend.

-- Zarar Siddiqi, Raptors Republic

[h4]WASHINGTON WIZARDS[/h4]
was.gif

Alonzo Gee, a four-year college player neglected in the draft, bounced from Austin (D League) to Washington to San Antonio and back to Washington, and it looks like Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld won't let him get away a second time. Gee starts at small forward and packs a hard-nosed, athletic punch to go with John Wall and Co. It's "Nothin' but a Gee Thang" in Washington, mostly because that's how you remember to pronounce his last name.

After Andray Blatche excelled last season, the Wizards signed him to a three-year contract extension in the summer. But the sad reality is that it's the same Blatche Wizards fans have always known, displaying lazy defense, poor decision-making and a lack of conditioning. With Blatche and JaVale McGee, the Wizards have a front line with a shortage of basketball IQ, and there's not much coach Flip Saunders can do but be patient and hope something clicks.

-- Kyle Weidie, Truth About It

We've been running teams' Playoff Odds for a while now, and fans' reactions have been all over the map -- depending mostly on the teams for which they root.

Fans of good teams chortle at the prospect of their teams "only" having, say, an 87 percent probability of making the postseason when it really should be 101 percent, or chafe at the other teams that project to end up with as good or better records.

Fans of bad teams, on the other hand, tend to send me glass-half-full messages. The most common? Those would be the ones I get from followers of the league's most desperate clubs, seeing their 0.5 percent odds and asking, "So you're saying there's a chance?"

Yes, apparently. At this early stage, even the most desperate teams have at least some chance, however small, of engaging in a U-turn. The 2004-05 Bulls started 4-15 and ended up winning 47 games and having home-court advantage for the first round of the playoffs. Cleveland won 47 as well after starting 7-14 in 1993-94. And perhaps most famously, the 1977-78 Sonics started 5-17 and made the Finals. It's rare, but it does happen.

So what would it take to engender a U-Turn? We're going to look at the league's most desperate eight teams -- who, even at this early date, have established a playoff probability south of 10 percent -- over the coming days and assess who might pull it off. We're starting in the West today and will revisit the East later in the week.

Big picture, the most amazing thing about our eight derelict clubs is that the cumulative probability of at least one of them qualifying for the postseason is still quite poor -- according to Tuesday's Playoff Odds, there's better than a four-in-five chance that all of them finish in the lottery.

Nonetheless, let's dare to dream for a moment. Here's how the West's bottom-feeders can turn it around:

gsw.gif

Golden State, (8-12, Playoff Odds 3.2 percent)

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. While the Warriors talked a good game about defense and rebounding before the season, they've done neither in actual games. The only reason their points allowed are down from a season ago is that they're playing at a slightly less frenetic pace. Otherwise, the Warriors are 28th in Defensive Efficiency, 28th in Defensive Rebound Rate and 26th in overall Rebound Rate. Sound familiar?

Moreover, the Warriors' record deceives. While 8-12 sounds respectable, they are just 27th in the Power Rankings after largely failing to take advantage of a lightweight early schedule. Plus, many of their losses weren't close: Golden State has already lost by 17, 20, 24, 28 and 30.

The good news is that Golden State is only three games out of the West's final playoff spot, meaning if it can actually find a way to play defense it still could make a run. The Warriors have the best odds of any Western pretender at 3.2 percent (how's that for a backhanded compliment?), and they're likely to get more offense from David Lee than they're received thus far.

If they can avoid injuries, especially ones to the backcourt that would expose a paper-thin bench, there remains a sliver of possibility that they could defy the odds. Warriors fans, of course, will note that there's a historical precedent for this -- in 2006-07 they were on life support at 26-35 before a surreal 16-5 finish catapulted them to a playoff berth and a first-round upset of mighty Dallas.

min.gif

Minnesota (5-16, Playoff Odds 1.9 percent)

The nice thing about having two good players and a bunch of bad ones is that if you can somehow replace the bad players with good ones, the team will improve very, very quickly. At the moment, the Timberwolves are still fairly awful, despite Kevin Love playing like an All-Star and Michael Beasley emerging as a potent scoring force, because the rest of the team simply isn't any good.

That's particularly true on the perimeter, where youngsters Wesley Johnson (PER 9.49), Lazar Hayward (6.44) and Wayne Ellington (7.94) can't get out of their own way and Corey Brewer (11.35) has regressed after a breakout 2009-10.

But help is on the way. Jonny Flynn will be back soon; if he can play well it would massively upgrade the point guard spot. Similarly, once Martell Webster returns he could provide better shooting and defense than they're getting from Johnson and Ellington. And it's possible the other kids, including rookie big man Nikola Pekovic, will deliver a lot more once they get their NBA sea legs.

A longshot? Totally. Most likely they'll land with a win total in the mid-20. To make the playoffs they'd have to go about 36-25; the last time this franchise had a stretch like that, Sam Cassell was the point guard. But the Timberwolves have at least improved from laughingstock to quiet, stifled chortles, and, as I noted above, crazier things have happened.

lac.gif

L.A. Clippers (5-17, Playoff Odds 1.6 percent)

As with the Timberwolves, the Clippers are in the odd situation where they have two really good players and bunch of awful ones. Blake Griffin is an overwhelming physical force in the paint and a near-certain Rookie of the Year winner, while Eric Gordon has emerged as an all-weather scoring threat despite a sudden, puzzling inability to convert 3-pointers.

And that about does it for the good news. The only other Clipper with a PER of 13 is Craig Smith, who unfortunately plays the same position as Griffin. Veterans Baron Davis and Chris Kaman have been hampered by injuries and ineffectiveness when on the court, while new coach Vinny Del Negro's troops have mailed it in on defense (they're 29th in Defensive Efficiency despite Griffin's ownership of the glass).

As with Minnesota, having two good players and bunch of bad ones is actually a strong position from which to improve. If Davis and Kaman come back and play at anywhere near their former levels, L.A. will play dramatically better. And in the meantime, promising youngsters like Eric Bledsoe, Al-Farouq Aminu and DeAndre Jordan are getting valuable minutes and experience.

Having already banked 17 losses, the Clippers don't have much room for error -- they'll need to go at least 36-24 from here out, and that's with Kaman out a while longer after reinjuring his ankle against Portland on Sunday. Also, it's difficult to find a living, breathing organism who has much faith in Del Negro's ability to right the ship.

Thus, as is permanently the case with the Clippers, we can argue that the future is much more promising than the present. It's just that in Clipperville, said future never actually arrives.

sac.gif

Sacramento (4-15, Playoff Odds 0.0 percent)

The Kings are the first team this season for the Odds to declare utterly hopeless, as Sacto lost the last 0.1 of its odds by losing to the nearly-as-lowly Clippers on Monday, taking over the league's worst record. This doesn't mean their chances are absolute zero, actually, but rather that the Kings made the playoffs in fewer than three of our 5,000 simulations.

Nonetheless, the Kings' hopelessness is fairly amazing. Check out this amazing stat: None of the 11 Kings to play at least 100 minutes have a PER above the league average. Not one.

Not even their coddled 2009-10 Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans (14.62) who has struggled with foot problems and has seen his free throw rate dive as a result. Not talented rookie DeMarcus Cousins (12.86), who has all the scouts that red-flagged him for character issues sharing knowing nods and chuckles. Not working-class hero Carl Landry (13.64), one of the league's most productive per-minute scorers a year ago. And not promising big man Jason Thompson (13.24), whom the team has bizarrely chosen to play at small forward when it plays him at all.

Built as an offensive team, the Kings are 29th in True Shooting Percentage. While some of these numbers are likely to regress to the mean -- in particular, it's hard for me to believe that Evans and Landry will play this poorly all season -- Sacramento would need to go 37-26 the rest of the way just to reach .500 and have some kind of chance of cracking the West's top eight. Given that they're dead last in the Power Rankings and project to go 15-48 from here out for a paltry total of 19 wins, I'd say this is a rather tall order.

There's good news on the horizon, however: You just have to look a couple columns further to the right to find it. The Kings project to have about a 1-in-5 shot of snagging the top pick in the lottery. If Tyreke Evans couldn't save the Kings, maybe Kyrie Irving or Harrison Barnes can.

Break up the Knicks!

Few things cause greater hyperbole than a winning (or losing) streak involving the gang from Gotham, so the likely truth is that this team is neither as bad as it looked early in the season (when locals were calling for Mike D'Antoni's head on a platter) or as good as it has looked over the past 10 games.

Nonetheless, New York's seven-game road winning streak is undeniably impressive. While the wins haven't exactly come against a murderer's row of the league's elite -- of the victims, only New Orleans owns a winning record -- seven straight road wins against any opposition is a feat worthy of praise in a league in which home teams have won more than 60 percent of the time. Overall, only six teams boast a better overall road mark than New York's 9-4.

That's a rather unexpected state of affairs given the largely negative storylines entering New York's season -- that they whiffed in free agency after failing to land LeBron James, that they lacked the Steve Nash-like point guard who could make D'Antoni's system hum, and that ownership was still surreptitiously taking advice from Isiah Thomas.

A 3-8 start lowlighted by a second-half drubbing in Minnesota dropped expectations further, but since then the Knicks have been humming. The 'Bockers have won nine of 10 and would own the sixth seed in the East if the playoffs started today; with their next two road dates against Washington and Cleveland, it's very likely that the streak will have a chance to hit double digits when they head to Miami on Dec. 28.

More importantly, this finally looks like a D'Antoni basketball team, and not only because big man Amare Stoudemire is the featured scorer. The Knicks' improvement has largely been an offensive phenomenon, as they've overcome an early-season rash of turnovers to ascend to fifth in the NBA in offensive efficiency. The defense has actually slid a bit and now ranks 18th, a placing that will sound very familiar to any Phoenicians in the crowd.

However, New York's offense is rolling because it finally established that trademark of D'Antoni teams, the 3-point shot. During the past two seasons and in the first two weeks of this one, the Knicks shot the 3-ball often but not very well. Eight games ago they were 23rd in 3-point shooting; they've moved all the way up to the league average at 35.9 percent.

The Knicks still launch with frequency -- only Orlando has taken a larger share of its field goal attempts from downtown -- but the fact that some of them now go in has created a lot more space for Stoudemire to work his magic in the paint. He has overcome a sky-high early-season turnover rate to play some of his best basketball over the past 10 games, and his current stat line -- 27.0 points per 40 minutes, a 22.96 PER and more than eight free throw attempts per game -- is hardly changed from his output in Phoenix last season.

Aside from the soft stretch of schedule and Stoudemire's recent outburst, two other major changes catalyzed New York's turnaround.

First and foremost, Raymond Felton has gone absolutely bonkers. He never played anywhere remotely this well in his five previous pro seasons, but he is averaging 19.0 points and 8.7 assists per 40 minutes as the point guard for D'Antoni's attack in New York. This is all the more surprising because his game seemed something of a misfit for the Knicks' pick-and-roll-heavy style; Felton will never be mistaken for Nash in this phase of the game.

But while Felton's half-court game might not be ideal for this system, his ability to push the ball in transition is perfect for it. New York is playing the league's third-fastest pace, a largely Felton-fueled phenomenon and a skill that was utterly wasted in Larry Brown's somnambulant offense in Charlotte.

As a result, put this one in the "Stats we didn't expect to see" file: Only Derrick Rose has more estimated wins added than Felton among Eastern Conference point guards this season. Felton has played 38 minutes a night, hasn't missed a game and is shooting with much greater accuracy than at any previous point in his career, making him one of the great free-agent bargains on a three-year, $25 million deal with only two guaranteed seasons.

Given his career numbers, Felton may not perform at quite such a lofty level all season, especially if the Knicks don't get him some rest; reportedly the team is shopping for a backup point guard as we speak. Nonetheless, he appears to fit far better in D'Antoni's system than he did in Brown's.

One other Knicks maneuver, however, is likely to have a fairly permanent positive impact: Playing their best players. You'd be amazed how well this tactic works. It's something other teams really ought to try more often.

D'Antoni is an eternal optimist, which is why he looked at Timofey Mozgov in the preseason and thought his size and mobility would make him a quality starting center. Mozgov is indeed quite big and moves fairly well for his size; unfortunately, he isn't any good at basketball. After compiling 28 fouls and only 34 points in a dozen games as the starter, Mozgov went to the pine permanently on Nov. 18 in Sacramento. In an amazing coincidence, New York has won nine of 10 since.

That wasn't the only shift. D'Antoni moved Wilson Chandler from his sixth-man role into a starting forward spot -- partly due to Ronny Turiaf's injury and Mozgov's ineffectiveness but also because Chandler has been their third-best player this season -- and has adjusted simply by playing Stoudemire more minutes at center. New York would prefer to keep Stoudemire at power forward and may go back to doing so for long stretches once Ronny Turiaf is back in working order, but for now the Knicks have a solid, workable eight-man rotation -- about all the infamously short-rostered D'Antoni requires.

While D'Antoni's glass-half-full approach blinded him to Mozgov's shortcomings, it's had benefits too. Most notably, he saw the skills of rookie shooting guard Landry Fields, a second-round steal who is averaging a shocking 7.4 rebounds per game from the wing position and scoring in double figures. Reclamation project Shawne Williams, who blew up off the bench in wins over New Orleans and Toronto this past weekend, may go down as another example.

Amazingly, New York has done all this with virtually no contribution from the player most consider as the one with the most potential: Anthony Randolph. Acquired in the sign-and-trade for David Lee, Randolph has played only 11 minutes in the past 10 games. Frankly, he hasn't earned any more.

At this point, whatever the Knicks get from Randolph would be gravy. As long as Felton stays hot, Stoudemire stays proficient and the top eight players stay healthy, the Knicks look set to break the cycle of mediocrity in which they've been trapped for the past decade. They won't be making the Celtics or Heat quake in their boots, but you can start spreading the news: New York, finally, appears to be a legit playoff team again.

While a certain Big Three in South Beach has hogged most of the national spotlight, our TrueHoop Network bloggers are here to dish on the under-the-radar storylines in the NBA that deserve more attention. We'll start in the East, and hit the West on Wednesday.

[h4]ATLANTA HAWKS[/h4]
atl.gif

Before the season it seemed a question of when rather than if Jeff Teague would replace Mike Bibby as the team's starting point guard. Instead, Bibby, who is not exactly synonymous with movement, has thrived in Larry Drew's motion offense, consistently finding unguarded space on the perimeter, knocking down 53.9 percent of his 3-point attempts, and setting solid back screens to free his teammates.

The Hawks are (again) a mediocre defensive team because they are (again) a below-average defensive rebounding team. They've finished 24th or worse in defensive rebound rate for five straight seasons, yet the organization has not addressed this persistent weakness. Since drafting Al Horford third overall in 2007, the Hawks have used five straight picks on guards and filled out the rotation with poor (Josh Powell) or comically poor (Jason Collins) defensive rebounders.

-- Bret LaGree, Hoopinion

[h4]BOSTON CELTICS[/h4]
bos.gif

Glen Davis is no longer getting his shot blocked at the rim, drastically reducing his blocked-shot percentage from 17.9 percent last season to 5.5 percent. With this change, Davis' offensive rebound rate has decreased (from 13.7 to 5.3), but his FG percentage at the rim has risen to elite levels (51.8 to 70.4 percent). Net result: Davis is posting the highest player efficiency rating of his career (13.16). (Stats: HoopData.com)

Last year, Rasheed Wallace garnered much-deserved criticism given his poor conditioning and shot selection. This year, his replacement, Jermaine O'Neal, has played in only seven of 20 games due to injury. In those seven games, O'Neal has averaged 5.6 points per game and 3.6 rebounds while Wallace averaged about 9 ppg and 4 rpg through his first 20. So, much to everyone's surprise, the now-retired Wallace has edged O'Neal in the "reliability" category.

-- Brendan Jackson, Celtics Hub

[h4]CHARLOTTE BOBCATS[/h4]
cha.gif

Raymond Felton is putting up career bests in New York, so it may have slipped under the radar that .J. Augustin is doing a fine job filling in for Felton back in the Queen City. For the year, Augustin is averaging 13.3 points and 6.7 assists per night, within 0.3 of Felton's career averages. And while Augustin's not the defender that Felton was, Augustin's more efficient shooting helps makes up the difference.

The Bobcats' slip from playoff team last season to mid-lottery hopeful starts and ends at the defensive end. After finishing last season ranked first in defensive efficiency, Charlotte is currently 14th in points per possession allowed, without comparable offensive improvement. Is it because Tyson Chandler is in Dallas (though he played just 51 games for Charlotte last season)? Is it Felton's departure? Or have the Bobcats started to tune out Larry Brown?

-- Brett Hainline, Queen City Hoops

[h4]CHICAGO BULLS[/h4]
chi.gif

His body may look like pipe cleaners wrapped in silly putty, but Omer Asik has been a surprisingly effective backup. He's shooting 53 percent from the field and averaging 8.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per 36 minutes. According to 82games.com, the Bulls are plus-45 in net points when Asik is on the floor, one of the best figures on the team. If he can beef up and hit some free throws …

Even though Carlos Boozer missed the first 15 games of the season, James Johnson couldn't crack the rotation. He's already received nine DNP-CDs, and only two of his nine appearances showed much promise. There's no questioning his raw talent, but his basketball IQ and ability to put it all together are very much in doubt. When he's on the floor, he might hit a big bucket … or he might turn the ball over three times in a row.

-- Matt McHale, By The Horns

[h4]CLEVELAND CAVALIERS[/h4]
cle.gif

Daniel Gibson and Anderson Varejao are having excellent seasons on the offensive and defensive ends, respectively, and neither needs to control the ball to be effective. It's conceivable a contending team could want them at the trade deadline, which could help the Cavs begin rebuilding in earnest. Additionally, Antawn Jamison has been shooting well from the outside, and contenders looking for more firepower at the deadline generally covet forwards who can shoot.

Everybody expected the Cavs' offense to be much worse without LeBron, but the defense has been an absolute disaster. Nobody is playing good defense apart from Varejao, the team doesn't seem to have any sort of defensive game plan, and opponents have been getting the shots they want against the Cavaliers all season long. Given their lack of talent, the Cavaliers need to play defense to stay out of the cellar, and they haven't been.

-- John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog

[h4]DETROIT PISTONS[/h4]
det.gif

Charlie Villanueva looked at his play last season and astutely observed he didn't live up to the five-year, $37.5 million contract he signed the previous summer. Then, he told that to everyone, upping the pressure on himself. After Villanueva spent the summer working out in Detroit, he's delivered. His numbers are only moderately better, but his defense and energy are markedly improved, and he's had the team's best body language.

Tayshaun Prince, whose jack-of-all-trades play earned him a spot on the 2008 U.S. Olympic team, has become largely two-dimensional -- and those two dimensions are making 2-point shots and openly feuding with his coach. His defense hasn't been "shutdown" in years, and his rebounding and passing are on the decline, too. A recent surge has lifted his scoring average into an acceptable range, but he's not making enough 3-pointers or free throws. Someone remind Prince this is a contract year.

-- Dan Feldman, Piston Powered

[h4]INDIANA PACERS[/h4]
ind.gif

The continued evolution of Roy Hibbert's game has dwarfed everything else. In the offseason, the Darren Collison trade was expected to be the largest change in the team. That has been important, but it is Hibbert's improvement -- as a post scorer, as a passer, as a rebounder and, most importantly, as an athlete -- that has helped the team surprise people.

The team's offense continues to be, well, offensive. Around the country, every local broadcast team and not-paying-attention local writer warns opposing fans to beware of Indiana's potent, up-tempo, run-and-gun attack. In reality, the team has played better this season due to its stingy defense. The offense remains highly mediocre -- at best -- and not notably fast.

-- Jared Wade, 8 Points, 9 Seconds

[h4]MIAMI HEAT[/h4]
mia.gif

When Erik Spoelstra was burning insane hours several years ago as the Heat's video coordinator, he probably never imagined that he'd be a central character in a drama with the suffix "-gate," starring LeBron James. As the buzzards began to swirl overhead, Spoelstra handled the scrutiny with poise. He's not endowed with natural charm, but Spoelstra emerged on the other side of that adversity looking like a hero in an Aaron Sorkin screenplay.

Speculators and professional brokers make up 40 percent of sellers in the secondary ticket market in most NBA cities. In Miami, they represent 70 percent according to StubHub -- and right now they're getting beat up pretty badly. Local TV ratings for the Heat don't match the Cleveland market's numbers from the 2009-10 season. While the Heat captivate national fans who either love them or hate them, south Floridians seem more blasé.

-- Kevin Arnovitz, Heat Index

[h4]MILWAUKEE BUCKS[/h4]
mil.gif

While the Bucks' offense has been miserable all season, they've been able to continue to play the stingy defense that led them to the playoffs last season. Milwaukee's fifth in the league in defensive efficiency, and in the 13 games Andrew Bogut has played, it has allowed 100 points in regulation to only the Lakers, the league's No. 1-ranked offensive team.

From "executive of the year" to "what he was thinking isn't clear" is the fall John Hammond has experienced over the past seven months. The early returns on his acquisitions of Drew Gooden, Corey Maggette and Keyon Dooling and the re-signing of John Salmons have not been strong. Of that group, only Gooden is shooting better than 40 percent for a Bucks team that currently sits a very disappointing six games under .500.

-- Jeremy Schmidt, Bucksketball

[h4]NEW JERSEY NETS[/h4]
njn.gif

Certainly the biggest positive difference between last year and this year is production at the power forward position. While Yi Jianlian was a black hole offensively and a revolving door defensively, Kris Humphries has been a pleasant surprise on both sides of the floor. His shot selection is much improved from previous years, he provides a solid body on defense, and some of his blocks have been downright nasty -- just ask LaMarcus Aldridge.

Brook Lopez has had a shockingly down year thus far. While he's still scoring -- averaging 18.7 points per game so far -- he's doing so much less efficiently, shooting only 43.6 percent from the field as opposed to 51.2 percent his first two years. His rebounding has also declined precipitously. Perhaps it's just the lingering effects of summertime mononucleosis, but after 21 games, the lack of effort becomes more and more inexcusable.

-- Devin Kharpertian, Nets Are Scorching

[h4]NEW YORK KNICKS[/h4]
nyk.gif

One story under the radar is the reemergence of Mike D'Antoni. Some questioned whether he was just lucky in Phoenix to have Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire, and some Knicks fans have been critical of the coach, enough that Donnie Walsh felt compelled to give D'Antoni a vote of confidence. But "Il Maestro" has adjusted the offense and shortened the rotation to make the Knicks a winner.

The gray cloud over this Knicks season is the poor play of Anthony Randolph and Bill Walker. These two players were prematurely tossed aside by their former teams, and were ideal for a rejuvenation project. Last season, Walker was an amazingly efficient scorer in a partial season for New York, but is currently out of the rotation. Meanwhile, the physically gifted Randolph is completely lost in the offense, shooting a miserable 27.3 effective field goal percentage.

-- Mike Kurylo, KnickerBlogger

[h4]ORLANDO MAGIC[/h4]
orl.gif

Jameer Nelson has returned to playing at an All-Star-caliber level. When Nelson is at his best, he's one of the more efficient perimeter players in the NBA on offense. But the difference with Nelson this season is that he's passing the basketball at an excellent rate -- his assist percentage of 42.4 percent is a career best and ranks sixth in the league (ahead of notable players like Jason Kidd).

Chris Duhon has struggled as the backup point guard. Perhaps Duhon is still trying to get acclimated to coach Stan Van Gundy's offensive system, but his numbers across the board are way down and a cause for concern. It's still early and Duhon has time to right the ship, plus he's been as good as advertised on defense. But that's a storyline to keep an eye on.

-- Eddy Rivera, Magic Basketball

[h4]PHILADELPHIA 76ERS[/h4]
phi.gif

Elton Brand's resurgence. After 2009-10, experts and scouts basically put Brand out to pasture and classified him as perhaps the biggest free-agent bust of the past decade. But with no rehab necessary for him during the summer of 2010, he worked on his conditioning and his game. In 2010-11, EB has noticeably more energy on the court while going for 15 points and eight boards per night. His signing should now be upgraded from bust to questionable.

The Dalembert-for-Nocioni-and-Hawes trade was a major mistake. Yes, Samuel Dalembert's attitude was horrible and he was a major issue in the locker room -- but if he had to go, they should have gotten more for him. Andres Nocioni has gone from starter to DNP-CD because the Sixers have too many wing players. Spencer Hawes is simply awful. How does a 7-foot-1, 245-pound man average only 4.4 rebounds per game?

-- Carey Smith, Philadunkia

[h4]TORONTO RAPTORS[/h4]
tor.gif

The winner of the Toronto-New Orleans trade has to be Jerryd Bayless. The third-year guard is averaging 7.3 points and 2.9 assists playing 20 minutes in a backup role, and has a whopping PER of 23.6. He has improved the second unit's defense and is trying to shed his image as a shoot-first point guard by putting an emphasis on his passing and playmaking. Bayless fits in nicely with the youth movement already under way in Toronto.

After being handed the starting role on a platter for the second straight year, DeMar DeRozan hasn't delivered on the expectations -- in particular, his jumper, which was marked as his main area of improvement heading into the season, has been a problem. DeRozan is shooting 33 percent from 16 to 23 feet, down 5 percent from last season. This has left him no choice but to force his drive with a predictable spin move, all too easy to defend.

-- Zarar Siddiqi, Raptors Republic

[h4]WASHINGTON WIZARDS[/h4]
was.gif

Alonzo Gee, a four-year college player neglected in the draft, bounced from Austin (D League) to Washington to San Antonio and back to Washington, and it looks like Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld won't let him get away a second time. Gee starts at small forward and packs a hard-nosed, athletic punch to go with John Wall and Co. It's "Nothin' but a Gee Thang" in Washington, mostly because that's how you remember to pronounce his last name.

After Andray Blatche excelled last season, the Wizards signed him to a three-year contract extension in the summer. But the sad reality is that it's the same Blatche Wizards fans have always known, displaying lazy defense, poor decision-making and a lack of conditioning. With Blatche and JaVale McGee, the Wizards have a front line with a shortage of basketball IQ, and there's not much coach Flip Saunders can do but be patient and hope something clicks.

-- Kyle Weidie, Truth About It

We've been running teams' Playoff Odds for a while now, and fans' reactions have been all over the map -- depending mostly on the teams for which they root.

Fans of good teams chortle at the prospect of their teams "only" having, say, an 87 percent probability of making the postseason when it really should be 101 percent, or chafe at the other teams that project to end up with as good or better records.

Fans of bad teams, on the other hand, tend to send me glass-half-full messages. The most common? Those would be the ones I get from followers of the league's most desperate clubs, seeing their 0.5 percent odds and asking, "So you're saying there's a chance?"

Yes, apparently. At this early stage, even the most desperate teams have at least some chance, however small, of engaging in a U-turn. The 2004-05 Bulls started 4-15 and ended up winning 47 games and having home-court advantage for the first round of the playoffs. Cleveland won 47 as well after starting 7-14 in 1993-94. And perhaps most famously, the 1977-78 Sonics started 5-17 and made the Finals. It's rare, but it does happen.

So what would it take to engender a U-Turn? We're going to look at the league's most desperate eight teams -- who, even at this early date, have established a playoff probability south of 10 percent -- over the coming days and assess who might pull it off. We're starting in the West today and will revisit the East later in the week.

Big picture, the most amazing thing about our eight derelict clubs is that the cumulative probability of at least one of them qualifying for the postseason is still quite poor -- according to Tuesday's Playoff Odds, there's better than a four-in-five chance that all of them finish in the lottery.

Nonetheless, let's dare to dream for a moment. Here's how the West's bottom-feeders can turn it around:

gsw.gif

Golden State, (8-12, Playoff Odds 3.2 percent)

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. While the Warriors talked a good game about defense and rebounding before the season, they've done neither in actual games. The only reason their points allowed are down from a season ago is that they're playing at a slightly less frenetic pace. Otherwise, the Warriors are 28th in Defensive Efficiency, 28th in Defensive Rebound Rate and 26th in overall Rebound Rate. Sound familiar?

Moreover, the Warriors' record deceives. While 8-12 sounds respectable, they are just 27th in the Power Rankings after largely failing to take advantage of a lightweight early schedule. Plus, many of their losses weren't close: Golden State has already lost by 17, 20, 24, 28 and 30.

The good news is that Golden State is only three games out of the West's final playoff spot, meaning if it can actually find a way to play defense it still could make a run. The Warriors have the best odds of any Western pretender at 3.2 percent (how's that for a backhanded compliment?), and they're likely to get more offense from David Lee than they're received thus far.

If they can avoid injuries, especially ones to the backcourt that would expose a paper-thin bench, there remains a sliver of possibility that they could defy the odds. Warriors fans, of course, will note that there's a historical precedent for this -- in 2006-07 they were on life support at 26-35 before a surreal 16-5 finish catapulted them to a playoff berth and a first-round upset of mighty Dallas.

min.gif

Minnesota (5-16, Playoff Odds 1.9 percent)

The nice thing about having two good players and a bunch of bad ones is that if you can somehow replace the bad players with good ones, the team will improve very, very quickly. At the moment, the Timberwolves are still fairly awful, despite Kevin Love playing like an All-Star and Michael Beasley emerging as a potent scoring force, because the rest of the team simply isn't any good.

That's particularly true on the perimeter, where youngsters Wesley Johnson (PER 9.49), Lazar Hayward (6.44) and Wayne Ellington (7.94) can't get out of their own way and Corey Brewer (11.35) has regressed after a breakout 2009-10.

But help is on the way. Jonny Flynn will be back soon; if he can play well it would massively upgrade the point guard spot. Similarly, once Martell Webster returns he could provide better shooting and defense than they're getting from Johnson and Ellington. And it's possible the other kids, including rookie big man Nikola Pekovic, will deliver a lot more once they get their NBA sea legs.

A longshot? Totally. Most likely they'll land with a win total in the mid-20. To make the playoffs they'd have to go about 36-25; the last time this franchise had a stretch like that, Sam Cassell was the point guard. But the Timberwolves have at least improved from laughingstock to quiet, stifled chortles, and, as I noted above, crazier things have happened.

lac.gif

L.A. Clippers (5-17, Playoff Odds 1.6 percent)

As with the Timberwolves, the Clippers are in the odd situation where they have two really good players and bunch of awful ones. Blake Griffin is an overwhelming physical force in the paint and a near-certain Rookie of the Year winner, while Eric Gordon has emerged as an all-weather scoring threat despite a sudden, puzzling inability to convert 3-pointers.

And that about does it for the good news. The only other Clipper with a PER of 13 is Craig Smith, who unfortunately plays the same position as Griffin. Veterans Baron Davis and Chris Kaman have been hampered by injuries and ineffectiveness when on the court, while new coach Vinny Del Negro's troops have mailed it in on defense (they're 29th in Defensive Efficiency despite Griffin's ownership of the glass).

As with Minnesota, having two good players and bunch of bad ones is actually a strong position from which to improve. If Davis and Kaman come back and play at anywhere near their former levels, L.A. will play dramatically better. And in the meantime, promising youngsters like Eric Bledsoe, Al-Farouq Aminu and DeAndre Jordan are getting valuable minutes and experience.

Having already banked 17 losses, the Clippers don't have much room for error -- they'll need to go at least 36-24 from here out, and that's with Kaman out a while longer after reinjuring his ankle against Portland on Sunday. Also, it's difficult to find a living, breathing organism who has much faith in Del Negro's ability to right the ship.

Thus, as is permanently the case with the Clippers, we can argue that the future is much more promising than the present. It's just that in Clipperville, said future never actually arrives.

sac.gif

Sacramento (4-15, Playoff Odds 0.0 percent)

The Kings are the first team this season for the Odds to declare utterly hopeless, as Sacto lost the last 0.1 of its odds by losing to the nearly-as-lowly Clippers on Monday, taking over the league's worst record. This doesn't mean their chances are absolute zero, actually, but rather that the Kings made the playoffs in fewer than three of our 5,000 simulations.

Nonetheless, the Kings' hopelessness is fairly amazing. Check out this amazing stat: None of the 11 Kings to play at least 100 minutes have a PER above the league average. Not one.

Not even their coddled 2009-10 Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans (14.62) who has struggled with foot problems and has seen his free throw rate dive as a result. Not talented rookie DeMarcus Cousins (12.86), who has all the scouts that red-flagged him for character issues sharing knowing nods and chuckles. Not working-class hero Carl Landry (13.64), one of the league's most productive per-minute scorers a year ago. And not promising big man Jason Thompson (13.24), whom the team has bizarrely chosen to play at small forward when it plays him at all.

Built as an offensive team, the Kings are 29th in True Shooting Percentage. While some of these numbers are likely to regress to the mean -- in particular, it's hard for me to believe that Evans and Landry will play this poorly all season -- Sacramento would need to go 37-26 the rest of the way just to reach .500 and have some kind of chance of cracking the West's top eight. Given that they're dead last in the Power Rankings and project to go 15-48 from here out for a paltry total of 19 wins, I'd say this is a rather tall order.

There's good news on the horizon, however: You just have to look a couple columns further to the right to find it. The Kings project to have about a 1-in-5 shot of snagging the top pick in the lottery. If Tyreke Evans couldn't save the Kings, maybe Kyrie Irving or Harrison Barnes can.

Break up the Knicks!

Few things cause greater hyperbole than a winning (or losing) streak involving the gang from Gotham, so the likely truth is that this team is neither as bad as it looked early in the season (when locals were calling for Mike D'Antoni's head on a platter) or as good as it has looked over the past 10 games.

Nonetheless, New York's seven-game road winning streak is undeniably impressive. While the wins haven't exactly come against a murderer's row of the league's elite -- of the victims, only New Orleans owns a winning record -- seven straight road wins against any opposition is a feat worthy of praise in a league in which home teams have won more than 60 percent of the time. Overall, only six teams boast a better overall road mark than New York's 9-4.

That's a rather unexpected state of affairs given the largely negative storylines entering New York's season -- that they whiffed in free agency after failing to land LeBron James, that they lacked the Steve Nash-like point guard who could make D'Antoni's system hum, and that ownership was still surreptitiously taking advice from Isiah Thomas.

A 3-8 start lowlighted by a second-half drubbing in Minnesota dropped expectations further, but since then the Knicks have been humming. The 'Bockers have won nine of 10 and would own the sixth seed in the East if the playoffs started today; with their next two road dates against Washington and Cleveland, it's very likely that the streak will have a chance to hit double digits when they head to Miami on Dec. 28.

More importantly, this finally looks like a D'Antoni basketball team, and not only because big man Amare Stoudemire is the featured scorer. The Knicks' improvement has largely been an offensive phenomenon, as they've overcome an early-season rash of turnovers to ascend to fifth in the NBA in offensive efficiency. The defense has actually slid a bit and now ranks 18th, a placing that will sound very familiar to any Phoenicians in the crowd.

However, New York's offense is rolling because it finally established that trademark of D'Antoni teams, the 3-point shot. During the past two seasons and in the first two weeks of this one, the Knicks shot the 3-ball often but not very well. Eight games ago they were 23rd in 3-point shooting; they've moved all the way up to the league average at 35.9 percent.

The Knicks still launch with frequency -- only Orlando has taken a larger share of its field goal attempts from downtown -- but the fact that some of them now go in has created a lot more space for Stoudemire to work his magic in the paint. He has overcome a sky-high early-season turnover rate to play some of his best basketball over the past 10 games, and his current stat line -- 27.0 points per 40 minutes, a 22.96 PER and more than eight free throw attempts per game -- is hardly changed from his output in Phoenix last season.

Aside from the soft stretch of schedule and Stoudemire's recent outburst, two other major changes catalyzed New York's turnaround.

First and foremost, Raymond Felton has gone absolutely bonkers. He never played anywhere remotely this well in his five previous pro seasons, but he is averaging 19.0 points and 8.7 assists per 40 minutes as the point guard for D'Antoni's attack in New York. This is all the more surprising because his game seemed something of a misfit for the Knicks' pick-and-roll-heavy style; Felton will never be mistaken for Nash in this phase of the game.

But while Felton's half-court game might not be ideal for this system, his ability to push the ball in transition is perfect for it. New York is playing the league's third-fastest pace, a largely Felton-fueled phenomenon and a skill that was utterly wasted in Larry Brown's somnambulant offense in Charlotte.

As a result, put this one in the "Stats we didn't expect to see" file: Only Derrick Rose has more estimated wins added than Felton among Eastern Conference point guards this season. Felton has played 38 minutes a night, hasn't missed a game and is shooting with much greater accuracy than at any previous point in his career, making him one of the great free-agent bargains on a three-year, $25 million deal with only two guaranteed seasons.

Given his career numbers, Felton may not perform at quite such a lofty level all season, especially if the Knicks don't get him some rest; reportedly the team is shopping for a backup point guard as we speak. Nonetheless, he appears to fit far better in D'Antoni's system than he did in Brown's.

One other Knicks maneuver, however, is likely to have a fairly permanent positive impact: Playing their best players. You'd be amazed how well this tactic works. It's something other teams really ought to try more often.

D'Antoni is an eternal optimist, which is why he looked at Timofey Mozgov in the preseason and thought his size and mobility would make him a quality starting center. Mozgov is indeed quite big and moves fairly well for his size; unfortunately, he isn't any good at basketball. After compiling 28 fouls and only 34 points in a dozen games as the starter, Mozgov went to the pine permanently on Nov. 18 in Sacramento. In an amazing coincidence, New York has won nine of 10 since.

That wasn't the only shift. D'Antoni moved Wilson Chandler from his sixth-man role into a starting forward spot -- partly due to Ronny Turiaf's injury and Mozgov's ineffectiveness but also because Chandler has been their third-best player this season -- and has adjusted simply by playing Stoudemire more minutes at center. New York would prefer to keep Stoudemire at power forward and may go back to doing so for long stretches once Ronny Turiaf is back in working order, but for now the Knicks have a solid, workable eight-man rotation -- about all the infamously short-rostered D'Antoni requires.

While D'Antoni's glass-half-full approach blinded him to Mozgov's shortcomings, it's had benefits too. Most notably, he saw the skills of rookie shooting guard Landry Fields, a second-round steal who is averaging a shocking 7.4 rebounds per game from the wing position and scoring in double figures. Reclamation project Shawne Williams, who blew up off the bench in wins over New Orleans and Toronto this past weekend, may go down as another example.

Amazingly, New York has done all this with virtually no contribution from the player most consider as the one with the most potential: Anthony Randolph. Acquired in the sign-and-trade for David Lee, Randolph has played only 11 minutes in the past 10 games. Frankly, he hasn't earned any more.

At this point, whatever the Knicks get from Randolph would be gravy. As long as Felton stays hot, Stoudemire stays proficient and the top eight players stay healthy, the Knicks look set to break the cycle of mediocrity in which they've been trapped for the past decade. They won't be making the Celtics or Heat quake in their boots, but you can start spreading the news: New York, finally, appears to be a legit playoff team again.

Kevin-Durant-Knows-Where-Amazing-Happens-595x446.jpg

LeBron's ego started rear its ugly head when he was wearing those terrible MVP and Check My $tats tees. Maybe more of the same? I kid.
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
nerd.gif

Kevin-Durant-Knows-Where-Amazing-Happens-595x446.jpg

LeBron's ego started rear its ugly head when he was wearing those terrible MVP and Check My $tats tees. Maybe more of the same? I kid.
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom