OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Just bustin your chops man, I had the Rockets in, and I'm drownin on that one. 
embarassed.gif

I STILL don't get how everyone was talking about them all off-season like they weren't going to suck balls.
laugh.gif

Me too.
roll.gif
roll.gif
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Just bustin your chops man, I had the Rockets in, and I'm drownin on that one. 
embarassed.gif

I STILL don't get how everyone was talking about them all off-season like they weren't going to suck balls.
laugh.gif

Me too.
roll.gif
roll.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Here we go...

The Miami Heat's players are frustrated with Erik Spoelstra and some are questioning whether he is the right coach for their team, according to people close to the situation.

With the ballyhooed Heat losing four of their last five games and sporting a mediocre 9-8 record, the players are privately grumbling about Spoelstra on several fronts.

Sources say the players believe he is not letting them be themselves, that they are questioning his offensive strategies, and that they think he is panicking because he fears losing his job.

[h4]Stein on Spoelstra's situation[/h4]
stein_marc_m.jpg

The pressure on Heat coach Erik Spoelstra has been simmering for a while. ESPN.com's Marc Stein has some perspective on where we've been, and where we might be headed. Blog

In contrast to the popular view that Spoelstra has been hesitant to jump on superstars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, sources say the Heat coach has shown no fear in criticizing them.

Exhibit A was a recent shootaround in which Spoelstra told James that he had to get more serious. The source said Spoelstra called James out in front of the entire team, telling him, "I can't tell when you're serious."

"He's jumping on them," one source said. "If anything, he's been too tough on them. Everybody knows LeBron is playful and likes to joke around, but Spoelstra told him in front of the whole team that he has to get more serious. The players couldn't believe it. They feel like Spoelstra's not letting them be themselves."

It is not known whether the players voiced their concerns about Spoelstra during their players-only meeting following Saturday's loss at Dallas. Nor is it apparent whether the bump between James and Spoelstra during a timeout in that game was accidental or a result of tension between the two.

Following the loss Saturday to Dallas, Wade said: "I never would put anything on the coach -- win, lose or draw -- because they can give us the game plan but they're not on the court playing. ... Now it's time to take ownership. This is our team, even though we respect our coaches for what they do."

Spoelstra was not immediately available for comment. The Heat has a shootaround Monday morning in preparation for a game against Washington later in the day.

According to the sources, the Heat players believe Spoelstra's offensive strategies have been too simplistic. They feel like he is running nothing but pick-and-rolls and telling the Heat's secondary players to find open spots on the floor for catch-and-shoot jumpers.

The sources said the players also think the constant speculation about Spoelstra's job security is getting to the third-year coach and that he has resorted to nitpicking over minor details because of it.

[h4]HEAT INDEX[/h4]
We've taken our talents to South Beach. Check out the Heat Index.

"He's not a motivator," one of the sources said. "Instead of coaching he's at the point where the players are starting to sense that he's fearing for his job."

"I don't worry about changes," Wade said on Saturday. "I can't control them. Only thing we can control is our effort and the way we play."

Several people close to the situation said Wade definitely does not want team president Pat Riley to come down to the sidelines. Sources also said that while recruiting players this past summer, Riley insisted that he would not coach the team.

"Riley kept saying 'Spoelstra's a good coach and he'll grow into a great coach,' " a source said. "He said he got his coaching break [with the Los Angeles Lakers] around the same age as Spoelstra got his."

It is widely believed that Riley does not want to coach this season. However, one source said that privately Riley has at times been critical of the Heat's game-planning.

While expectations around the league have started to lessen for the Heat because of their struggles, the sources said the players still have a championship-or-bust mentality for this season and that they are open to whatever changes are necessary to get there.

While the players think that may mean a coaching change, one member of the Heat organization said the team is suffering from a lack of leadership from the players, not the coach.

"They don't want to step on each other's toes," the person said. "There's no leader on the team. Somebody has to speak up and be the leader on the team. They can't be afraid to step on people's toes. They need a vocal leader who's going to make everybody accountable. I don't think it's on the coach. It's on the players."

http://[h3]
[h3]McCants' D-League debut[/h3]
9:43AM ET

[h5]Dallas Mavericks [/h5]

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports Rashad McCants has finally arrived in Dallas and he could play for the Maverick' D-League team, Texas Legends, on Tuesday.

McCants would be joining former NBA players Antonio Daniels, Joe Alexander, Sean Williams and Reece Gaines on the roster.

The maximum salary in the D-League is $25,500 and McCants has decided to donate his paychecks to the Urban Born youth and teen charity foundation (www.urbanborn.org).

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Why the Mavs suspended Haywood[/h3]
9:32AM ET

[h5]Brendan Haywood | Mavericks [/h5]

UPDATE: Haywood's agent, Andy Miller, says his client was suspended for one game due to a heated discussion with Carlisle.

"It happened at shootaround and had nothing to do with his role on the team," Miller told ESPNDallas.com. "My understanding is he and Rick always had a very good relationship and [Friday's] misunderstanding doesn't change that."

The suspension cost Haywood $62,727.

----

The Dallas Mavericks suspended center Brendan Haywood for Friday's game against the Spurs for breaking unspecified team rules. The team sent him back to Dallas after he participated in the morning shootaround.

"I'm not going to expound it any more than that. It's going to remain an internal matter," head coach Rick Carlisle told ESPNDallas.com. "The only thing that I'll say, in two-plus years here one of the things I've grown to respect and admire about [owner] Mark [Cuban] and his franchise is that everyone's treated great, but everyone's held to a high level of accountability, and we expect a lot. We're going to make sure things are right."

Haywood should be available for Saturday's game against the Miami Heat.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]T-Mac: LeBron and Wade a bad mix[/h3]
9:25AM ET

[h5]Tracy McGrady | Pistons [/h5]

Tracy McGrady spoke about the struggles of the Miami Heat on Sunday and says he's not surprised because LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are not a good fit.

"It's what I expected," McGrady told Booth Newspapers. "You've got two guys (James and Wade) that really don't mix. I mean, they're the same type of player. They just don't complement each other."

McGrady says Miami's big three, which includes Chris Bosh, can't be compared to the Celtics big three of Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

"If you look at Boston's big three, they're traditional guys," McGrady said. "You've got a true shooting guard, you have a true small forward and you have a true power forward. You've got a shooting guard that doesn't need the ball. In their case, both of those guys need the ball. They're not great outside shooters, so they just can't stand out there and wait for one to pass the ball and knock down an open shot."

McGrady says James should have signed with the Bulls, if he was going to leave the Cavaliers.

"I feel like LeBron should have went to Chicago if he was going to leave," McGrady told the New York Post. "I'm not mad he left. [Chicago was] a better decision and place and fit as far as chemistry-wise. You can't just go somewhere and get that kind of chemistry he had in Cleveland. If he was to be with a team where he fit and chemistry would've been right, it would've been Chicago."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Yao to team: Don't wait for me[/h3]
9:10AM ET

[h5]Yao Ming | Rockets [/h5]

Yao Ming and Aaron Brooks are expected to return in the near future from their injuries. Yao says the team needs to start winning now and not wait for him and Brooks to get healthy.

"We just cannot keep saying this is a long season," Yao told the Houston Chronicle. "We're going to keep saying that everyday and pretty soon you are going to see that we are almost at the playoff season. We need to make an adjustment now. I'm more than just worried or concerned, sometimes it's not understandable (and I'm) a little bit angry about where we stand at, but still I try to be positive.

"I think right now it's not just a one or two (players) can come back and help the team right away. There are some other reasons we are where we are right now."

The team took Yao's words to heart and beat Oklahoma City 99-98 on Sunday. The Rockets are now 5-11.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Magic target Melo and CP3?[/h3]
7:45AM ET

[h5]Orlando Magic [/h5]

According to Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel, the Magic are willing to trade everyone, except Dwight Howard, to acquire Carmelo Anthony or Chris Paul.

Schmitz wrote Sunday: "They would even be willing to take a step back this season to restock if it meant they could land either Anthony or Paul. Vince Carter and all their youngish, proven pieces are available in some sort of blockbuster package: Jameer Nelson, Mickael Pietrus, Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass, J.J. Redick and Ryan Anderson. When I asked somebody in the organization about such a possibility, that somebody never shook off my sign, never flinched."

Trading for Paul is highly unlikely, since the point guard is happy in New Orleans, however they might have enough -- players and picks -- to land Anthony.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Thompson to remain as a starter?[/h3]
7:25AM ET

[h5]Jason Thompson | Kings [/h5]

UPDATE: Kings head coach Paul Westphal told The Sacramento Bee Sunday that he's contemplating keeping Thompson as the starting power forward. Landry came off the bench when he played for the Rockets and that might be his best role.

"I haven't spoken with those players about it yet, so I don't want to get too into it," Westphal said. "It certainly looked good."

"We do know Carl can produce big-time off the bench, and I think it's something we'll look at real hard," Westphal added.

Landry said he doesn't care if he starts or comes off the bench.

"I'm just a player," Landry said. "I just want to win."

-- Nick Borges

----

As ESPN's Marc Stein reported earlier this month, the Kings have offered up Jason Thompson in trade talks. One such proposed deal was Thompson for Jeff Teague, which the Hawks reportedly turned down.

Thompson hasn't been seeing nearly as much playing time for the Kings this season as opposed to his first two years with the team. But he got a spot start on Saturday night against the Bulls because Carl Landry slept through most of the team's shootaround and came off the bench as punishment.

Thompson responded well in the promotion, scoring a season-high 18 points and grabbing nine boards in a season-high 33 minutes of action.

It's only one game. But it's not out of the realm of possibility for Thompson to regain a larger role again for the Kings -- a team struggling offensively and looking for a spark. And if he performs well in an increased role, it could have the team rethinking whether or not he's expendable.

But whether such a scenario plays out remains to be seen.

-- Ryan Corazza

stein_marc_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Marc Stein[/h5]
Once the future, Kings have shopped Thompson
"It wasn't long ago that Thompson, selected with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2008 draft, and Spencer Hawes were being touted as the Kings' frontcourt tandem of the future. Now? Thompson is averaging just 15.4 minutes per game off the bench and has been shopped by the Kings."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Przybilla to play Friday?[/h3]
7:02AM ET

[h5]Joel Przybilla | Trail Blazers [/h5]

UPDATE No. 3: Przybilla was still affected by the virus on Sunday and according to The Oregonian, he may play Friday when the Blazers play in Washington against the Wizards.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE No. 2: Przybilla did miss Friday's game with the stomach virus. According to The Oregonian, he should make his season debut on Sunday against the Nets in New Jersey.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE: The Oregonian reports Przybilla spent Wednesday in the hospital due to a stomach virus. He should be released on Thursday and his status for Friday will be evaluated.

According to the newspaper, Nate McMillan said a flu-like bug has hit the team.

-- Nick Borges

----

The Blazers have been targeting Nov. 26 against New Orleans, as the day center http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=682Joel Przybilla will return to the active roster. Will that happen?

"We'll bring him back Wednesday, go live again, then Thursday go through that practice again, and we'll make a decision on Friday," head coach Nate McMillan told The Oregonian.

Przybilla fractured his right kneecap on Dec. 22 of last season against Dallas.

The Blazers have had nothing but back luck with injuries the past few years, so Przybilla's return, whenever it happens, will be a welcomed addition to the team.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Blazers hold players-only meeting[/h3]
6:57AM ET

[h5]Portland Trail Blazers [/h5]

The Blazers are now 8-8 after losing to the Nets on Sunday and a players-only meeting was held to hash out the problems on the team.

"We're at a tough point right now," Brandon Roy told The Oregonian. "It's a young season. We've lost three games in a row and we're .500, so it's a difficult time. But we have to stick together and really see what we're made of."

Marcus Camby called it "positive." Wesley Matthews said every player was able to say what was on their mind.

"We talked ... about what we need to do," Matthews said. "We don't feel we're an 8-8 team and that's the gist of it. The thing about the NBA is you have got a whole bunch of games in a short span of time, so you have to lose this and move on to the next one."

Portland hopes to get back on the winning track Tuesday in Philadelphia.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Evans breaks right foot[/h3]
6:40AM ET

[h5]Reggie Evans | Raptors [/h5]

UPDATE: According to the Toronto Star, Evans was examined over the weekend and his options are still being discussed.

"I don't know what the doctors are going to say, I don't know what the rehab time is but he's not coming back this week, or next," said head coach Jay Triano.

-- Nick Borges

----

Raptors power forward http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1828Reggie Evans broke his right foot on Friday and the team is not sure when he'll play again.

"The X-rays were positive," head coach Jay Triano told the Toronto Sun. "I have no idea of a time line."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2769Amir Johnson is expected to take Evans' spot in the starting lineup and Peja Stojakovic will play some at power forward, too.

"He'll back up http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2987Andrea Bargnani and http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3421Joey Dorsey will have to come in and do some of the rebounding that Reggie gave us." Triano told the Toronto Star. "Of course, it will change game to game and who we're playing and situation."

Evans, who was having a solid season for the Raptors, played only 28 games last year due to a left foot injury.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Why Gentry benched Turkoglu[/h3]
6:28AM ET

[h5]Hedo Turkoglu | Suns [/h5]

Suns head coach Alvin Gentry decided the time was right Sunday for him to move Hedo Turkoglu to the bench and start Hakim Warrick at power forward. Turkoglu has been struggling with his offense the last seven games.

"It's nothing against Hedo," Gentry told The Arizona Republic. "His attitude is tremendous. He's down because he feels like he's not doing enough to help. I just have to put him in a position so that he can feel like he's helping our team. That might be some as a three (small forward) and more as a ball-handler."

Turkoglu has struggled playing power forward and moving back to small forward, his natural position, will allow him to play his game.
"Hopefully, it works out," Turkoglu said. "I'm going to try to find a way to help the team. Whatever it takes. As long as I try to help us win, I'm OK with it. I accomplished a lot of things in my career and this one will be new too."
-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Ankle sprain hindering Gasol[/h3]
6:20AM ET

[h5]Marc Gasol | Grizzlies [/h5]

The Memphis Grizzlies are 27th in the league in rebounding differential (-3.7) and part of the reason is Marc Gasol's lingering ankle issue.

Gasol suffered a Grade 2 ankle sprain just before the start of the season and he's still limited with his ability to jump and lateral movement.

"I knew what was going to happen if I played," Gasol tells The Commercial-Appeal. "I'm playing through pain but I'm not looking for any excuses. I don't care if I score or not. I figure I can help my team in other ways so I'm going to play."

Last season Gasol averaged 14.6 points and 9.3 rebounds. This season they're down to 11.5 points and 7.3 rebounds.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Scott fined $35,000[/h3]
6:00AM ET

[h5]Byron Scott | Cavaliers [/h5]

The NBA announced Sunday that Cavaliers head coach Byron Scott was fined $35,000 for his comments about the referees -- Ed Malloy, Bennie Adams and Kevin Fehr -- after Friday's loss in Orlando.

"The guys really competed," Scott said. "The guys never gave up. It's tough playing five guys in white jerseys and three with stripes. We didn't get a fair shake. They are going to miss some calls, but not the whole night. Get another job."

"Just call the game the same way," Scott told the Akron Beacon-Journal on Saturday. "If you do that, you'll have no problem from me."

This was the first time Scott has been fined by the league.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Teague to speak with Drew[/h3]
5:34AM ET

[h5]Jeff Teague | Hawks [/h5]

Backup point guard Jeff Teague has seen his minutes fall recently and he plans to talk with head coach Larry Drew when the team gets back to Atlanta.

"It is part of coaching; it is part of the game," Teague tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I thought he was doing what is best for the team. We are on a winning streak, so I'm happy the team is winning. I've got to be a professional. You've always got to be ready."

Teague didn't get off the bench Saturday in New York and only played four minutes on Sunday in Toronto.

The Hawks have turned down a trade for the Kings' Jason Thompson in the past, but general manager Rick Sund may change his mind if he's offered that deal again.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Boozer to practice on Monday[/h3]
5:20AM ET

[h5]Carlos Boozer | Bulls [/h5]

UPDATE: According to the Chicago Tribune, Boozer has been cleared for contact during Monday's practice.

There's a chance Boozer will play Wednesday against Orlando on Wednesday or wait until Friday's game in Boston.

-- Nick Borges

----

Carlos Boozer has been out for the first part of the season after breaking his right pinky and he told ESPNChicago.com on Friday that he was "100 percent" going to practice with the team on Monday.

"It felt good," he said. "Got a chance to work out again, worked out [Thursday] and worked out today. It's a little sore. Still not strong enough, but as long as it keeps getting stronger and stronger, it should be pretty soon."

Boozer did not reveal a date when he thinks he might return to game action for the first time during the regular season for the Bulls.

He understands he'll have to deal with some discomfort when he finally plays.

"To be truthful, I'll probably end up playing through, for the first couple weeks, probably playing through a lot of that pain, just because I'm anxious to get back out there," said Boozer

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Flynn takes another step[/h3]
4:37AM ET

[h5]Jonny Flynn | Timberwolves [/h5]

Point guard Jonny Flynn is slowly, but surely making progress from his offseason hip surgery. On Sunday, head coach Kurt Rambis put him through an intense three-on-three game.

"This isn't a set drill, where you can control what's going on," Rambis told the Star Tribune. "You have to react to what people are doing, absorb contact."

Rambis still hasn't seen Flynn's explosiveness on a consistent basis and he and the training staff will monitor how Flynn reacts to the workout.

Here we go...

The Miami Heat's players are frustrated with Erik Spoelstra and some are questioning whether he is the right coach for their team, according to people close to the situation.

With the ballyhooed Heat losing four of their last five games and sporting a mediocre 9-8 record, the players are privately grumbling about Spoelstra on several fronts.

Sources say the players believe he is not letting them be themselves, that they are questioning his offensive strategies, and that they think he is panicking because he fears losing his job.

[h4]Stein on Spoelstra's situation[/h4]
stein_marc_m.jpg

The pressure on Heat coach Erik Spoelstra has been simmering for a while. ESPN.com's Marc Stein has some perspective on where we've been, and where we might be headed. Blog

In contrast to the popular view that Spoelstra has been hesitant to jump on superstars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, sources say the Heat coach has shown no fear in criticizing them.

Exhibit A was a recent shootaround in which Spoelstra told James that he had to get more serious. The source said Spoelstra called James out in front of the entire team, telling him, "I can't tell when you're serious."

"He's jumping on them," one source said. "If anything, he's been too tough on them. Everybody knows LeBron is playful and likes to joke around, but Spoelstra told him in front of the whole team that he has to get more serious. The players couldn't believe it. They feel like Spoelstra's not letting them be themselves."

It is not known whether the players voiced their concerns about Spoelstra during their players-only meeting following Saturday's loss at Dallas. Nor is it apparent whether the bump between James and Spoelstra during a timeout in that game was accidental or a result of tension between the two.

Following the loss Saturday to Dallas, Wade said: "I never would put anything on the coach -- win, lose or draw -- because they can give us the game plan but they're not on the court playing. ... Now it's time to take ownership. This is our team, even though we respect our coaches for what they do."

Spoelstra was not immediately available for comment. The Heat has a shootaround Monday morning in preparation for a game against Washington later in the day.

According to the sources, the Heat players believe Spoelstra's offensive strategies have been too simplistic. They feel like he is running nothing but pick-and-rolls and telling the Heat's secondary players to find open spots on the floor for catch-and-shoot jumpers.

The sources said the players also think the constant speculation about Spoelstra's job security is getting to the third-year coach and that he has resorted to nitpicking over minor details because of it.

[h4]HEAT INDEX[/h4]
We've taken our talents to South Beach. Check out the Heat Index.

"He's not a motivator," one of the sources said. "Instead of coaching he's at the point where the players are starting to sense that he's fearing for his job."

"I don't worry about changes," Wade said on Saturday. "I can't control them. Only thing we can control is our effort and the way we play."

Several people close to the situation said Wade definitely does not want team president Pat Riley to come down to the sidelines. Sources also said that while recruiting players this past summer, Riley insisted that he would not coach the team.

"Riley kept saying 'Spoelstra's a good coach and he'll grow into a great coach,' " a source said. "He said he got his coaching break [with the Los Angeles Lakers] around the same age as Spoelstra got his."

It is widely believed that Riley does not want to coach this season. However, one source said that privately Riley has at times been critical of the Heat's game-planning.

While expectations around the league have started to lessen for the Heat because of their struggles, the sources said the players still have a championship-or-bust mentality for this season and that they are open to whatever changes are necessary to get there.

While the players think that may mean a coaching change, one member of the Heat organization said the team is suffering from a lack of leadership from the players, not the coach.

"They don't want to step on each other's toes," the person said. "There's no leader on the team. Somebody has to speak up and be the leader on the team. They can't be afraid to step on people's toes. They need a vocal leader who's going to make everybody accountable. I don't think it's on the coach. It's on the players."

http://[h3]
[h3]McCants' D-League debut[/h3]
9:43AM ET

[h5]Dallas Mavericks [/h5]

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports Rashad McCants has finally arrived in Dallas and he could play for the Maverick' D-League team, Texas Legends, on Tuesday.

McCants would be joining former NBA players Antonio Daniels, Joe Alexander, Sean Williams and Reece Gaines on the roster.

The maximum salary in the D-League is $25,500 and McCants has decided to donate his paychecks to the Urban Born youth and teen charity foundation (www.urbanborn.org).

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Why the Mavs suspended Haywood[/h3]
9:32AM ET

[h5]Brendan Haywood | Mavericks [/h5]

UPDATE: Haywood's agent, Andy Miller, says his client was suspended for one game due to a heated discussion with Carlisle.

"It happened at shootaround and had nothing to do with his role on the team," Miller told ESPNDallas.com. "My understanding is he and Rick always had a very good relationship and [Friday's] misunderstanding doesn't change that."

The suspension cost Haywood $62,727.

----

The Dallas Mavericks suspended center Brendan Haywood for Friday's game against the Spurs for breaking unspecified team rules. The team sent him back to Dallas after he participated in the morning shootaround.

"I'm not going to expound it any more than that. It's going to remain an internal matter," head coach Rick Carlisle told ESPNDallas.com. "The only thing that I'll say, in two-plus years here one of the things I've grown to respect and admire about [owner] Mark [Cuban] and his franchise is that everyone's treated great, but everyone's held to a high level of accountability, and we expect a lot. We're going to make sure things are right."

Haywood should be available for Saturday's game against the Miami Heat.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]T-Mac: LeBron and Wade a bad mix[/h3]
9:25AM ET

[h5]Tracy McGrady | Pistons [/h5]

Tracy McGrady spoke about the struggles of the Miami Heat on Sunday and says he's not surprised because LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are not a good fit.

"It's what I expected," McGrady told Booth Newspapers. "You've got two guys (James and Wade) that really don't mix. I mean, they're the same type of player. They just don't complement each other."

McGrady says Miami's big three, which includes Chris Bosh, can't be compared to the Celtics big three of Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

"If you look at Boston's big three, they're traditional guys," McGrady said. "You've got a true shooting guard, you have a true small forward and you have a true power forward. You've got a shooting guard that doesn't need the ball. In their case, both of those guys need the ball. They're not great outside shooters, so they just can't stand out there and wait for one to pass the ball and knock down an open shot."

McGrady says James should have signed with the Bulls, if he was going to leave the Cavaliers.

"I feel like LeBron should have went to Chicago if he was going to leave," McGrady told the New York Post. "I'm not mad he left. [Chicago was] a better decision and place and fit as far as chemistry-wise. You can't just go somewhere and get that kind of chemistry he had in Cleveland. If he was to be with a team where he fit and chemistry would've been right, it would've been Chicago."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Yao to team: Don't wait for me[/h3]
9:10AM ET

[h5]Yao Ming | Rockets [/h5]

Yao Ming and Aaron Brooks are expected to return in the near future from their injuries. Yao says the team needs to start winning now and not wait for him and Brooks to get healthy.

"We just cannot keep saying this is a long season," Yao told the Houston Chronicle. "We're going to keep saying that everyday and pretty soon you are going to see that we are almost at the playoff season. We need to make an adjustment now. I'm more than just worried or concerned, sometimes it's not understandable (and I'm) a little bit angry about where we stand at, but still I try to be positive.

"I think right now it's not just a one or two (players) can come back and help the team right away. There are some other reasons we are where we are right now."

The team took Yao's words to heart and beat Oklahoma City 99-98 on Sunday. The Rockets are now 5-11.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Magic target Melo and CP3?[/h3]
7:45AM ET

[h5]Orlando Magic [/h5]

According to Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel, the Magic are willing to trade everyone, except Dwight Howard, to acquire Carmelo Anthony or Chris Paul.

Schmitz wrote Sunday: "They would even be willing to take a step back this season to restock if it meant they could land either Anthony or Paul. Vince Carter and all their youngish, proven pieces are available in some sort of blockbuster package: Jameer Nelson, Mickael Pietrus, Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass, J.J. Redick and Ryan Anderson. When I asked somebody in the organization about such a possibility, that somebody never shook off my sign, never flinched."

Trading for Paul is highly unlikely, since the point guard is happy in New Orleans, however they might have enough -- players and picks -- to land Anthony.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Thompson to remain as a starter?[/h3]
7:25AM ET

[h5]Jason Thompson | Kings [/h5]

UPDATE: Kings head coach Paul Westphal told The Sacramento Bee Sunday that he's contemplating keeping Thompson as the starting power forward. Landry came off the bench when he played for the Rockets and that might be his best role.

"I haven't spoken with those players about it yet, so I don't want to get too into it," Westphal said. "It certainly looked good."

"We do know Carl can produce big-time off the bench, and I think it's something we'll look at real hard," Westphal added.

Landry said he doesn't care if he starts or comes off the bench.

"I'm just a player," Landry said. "I just want to win."

-- Nick Borges

----

As ESPN's Marc Stein reported earlier this month, the Kings have offered up Jason Thompson in trade talks. One such proposed deal was Thompson for Jeff Teague, which the Hawks reportedly turned down.

Thompson hasn't been seeing nearly as much playing time for the Kings this season as opposed to his first two years with the team. But he got a spot start on Saturday night against the Bulls because Carl Landry slept through most of the team's shootaround and came off the bench as punishment.

Thompson responded well in the promotion, scoring a season-high 18 points and grabbing nine boards in a season-high 33 minutes of action.

It's only one game. But it's not out of the realm of possibility for Thompson to regain a larger role again for the Kings -- a team struggling offensively and looking for a spark. And if he performs well in an increased role, it could have the team rethinking whether or not he's expendable.

But whether such a scenario plays out remains to be seen.

-- Ryan Corazza

stein_marc_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Marc Stein[/h5]
Once the future, Kings have shopped Thompson
"It wasn't long ago that Thompson, selected with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2008 draft, and Spencer Hawes were being touted as the Kings' frontcourt tandem of the future. Now? Thompson is averaging just 15.4 minutes per game off the bench and has been shopped by the Kings."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Przybilla to play Friday?[/h3]
7:02AM ET

[h5]Joel Przybilla | Trail Blazers [/h5]

UPDATE No. 3: Przybilla was still affected by the virus on Sunday and according to The Oregonian, he may play Friday when the Blazers play in Washington against the Wizards.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE No. 2: Przybilla did miss Friday's game with the stomach virus. According to The Oregonian, he should make his season debut on Sunday against the Nets in New Jersey.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE: The Oregonian reports Przybilla spent Wednesday in the hospital due to a stomach virus. He should be released on Thursday and his status for Friday will be evaluated.

According to the newspaper, Nate McMillan said a flu-like bug has hit the team.

-- Nick Borges

----

The Blazers have been targeting Nov. 26 against New Orleans, as the day center http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=682Joel Przybilla will return to the active roster. Will that happen?

"We'll bring him back Wednesday, go live again, then Thursday go through that practice again, and we'll make a decision on Friday," head coach Nate McMillan told The Oregonian.

Przybilla fractured his right kneecap on Dec. 22 of last season against Dallas.

The Blazers have had nothing but back luck with injuries the past few years, so Przybilla's return, whenever it happens, will be a welcomed addition to the team.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Blazers hold players-only meeting[/h3]
6:57AM ET

[h5]Portland Trail Blazers [/h5]

The Blazers are now 8-8 after losing to the Nets on Sunday and a players-only meeting was held to hash out the problems on the team.

"We're at a tough point right now," Brandon Roy told The Oregonian. "It's a young season. We've lost three games in a row and we're .500, so it's a difficult time. But we have to stick together and really see what we're made of."

Marcus Camby called it "positive." Wesley Matthews said every player was able to say what was on their mind.

"We talked ... about what we need to do," Matthews said. "We don't feel we're an 8-8 team and that's the gist of it. The thing about the NBA is you have got a whole bunch of games in a short span of time, so you have to lose this and move on to the next one."

Portland hopes to get back on the winning track Tuesday in Philadelphia.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Evans breaks right foot[/h3]
6:40AM ET

[h5]Reggie Evans | Raptors [/h5]

UPDATE: According to the Toronto Star, Evans was examined over the weekend and his options are still being discussed.

"I don't know what the doctors are going to say, I don't know what the rehab time is but he's not coming back this week, or next," said head coach Jay Triano.

-- Nick Borges

----

Raptors power forward http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1828Reggie Evans broke his right foot on Friday and the team is not sure when he'll play again.

"The X-rays were positive," head coach Jay Triano told the Toronto Sun. "I have no idea of a time line."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2769Amir Johnson is expected to take Evans' spot in the starting lineup and Peja Stojakovic will play some at power forward, too.

"He'll back up http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2987Andrea Bargnani and http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3421Joey Dorsey will have to come in and do some of the rebounding that Reggie gave us." Triano told the Toronto Star. "Of course, it will change game to game and who we're playing and situation."

Evans, who was having a solid season for the Raptors, played only 28 games last year due to a left foot injury.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Why Gentry benched Turkoglu[/h3]
6:28AM ET

[h5]Hedo Turkoglu | Suns [/h5]

Suns head coach Alvin Gentry decided the time was right Sunday for him to move Hedo Turkoglu to the bench and start Hakim Warrick at power forward. Turkoglu has been struggling with his offense the last seven games.

"It's nothing against Hedo," Gentry told The Arizona Republic. "His attitude is tremendous. He's down because he feels like he's not doing enough to help. I just have to put him in a position so that he can feel like he's helping our team. That might be some as a three (small forward) and more as a ball-handler."

Turkoglu has struggled playing power forward and moving back to small forward, his natural position, will allow him to play his game.
"Hopefully, it works out," Turkoglu said. "I'm going to try to find a way to help the team. Whatever it takes. As long as I try to help us win, I'm OK with it. I accomplished a lot of things in my career and this one will be new too."
-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Ankle sprain hindering Gasol[/h3]
6:20AM ET

[h5]Marc Gasol | Grizzlies [/h5]

The Memphis Grizzlies are 27th in the league in rebounding differential (-3.7) and part of the reason is Marc Gasol's lingering ankle issue.

Gasol suffered a Grade 2 ankle sprain just before the start of the season and he's still limited with his ability to jump and lateral movement.

"I knew what was going to happen if I played," Gasol tells The Commercial-Appeal. "I'm playing through pain but I'm not looking for any excuses. I don't care if I score or not. I figure I can help my team in other ways so I'm going to play."

Last season Gasol averaged 14.6 points and 9.3 rebounds. This season they're down to 11.5 points and 7.3 rebounds.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Scott fined $35,000[/h3]
6:00AM ET

[h5]Byron Scott | Cavaliers [/h5]

The NBA announced Sunday that Cavaliers head coach Byron Scott was fined $35,000 for his comments about the referees -- Ed Malloy, Bennie Adams and Kevin Fehr -- after Friday's loss in Orlando.

"The guys really competed," Scott said. "The guys never gave up. It's tough playing five guys in white jerseys and three with stripes. We didn't get a fair shake. They are going to miss some calls, but not the whole night. Get another job."

"Just call the game the same way," Scott told the Akron Beacon-Journal on Saturday. "If you do that, you'll have no problem from me."

This was the first time Scott has been fined by the league.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Teague to speak with Drew[/h3]
5:34AM ET

[h5]Jeff Teague | Hawks [/h5]

Backup point guard Jeff Teague has seen his minutes fall recently and he plans to talk with head coach Larry Drew when the team gets back to Atlanta.

"It is part of coaching; it is part of the game," Teague tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I thought he was doing what is best for the team. We are on a winning streak, so I'm happy the team is winning. I've got to be a professional. You've always got to be ready."

Teague didn't get off the bench Saturday in New York and only played four minutes on Sunday in Toronto.

The Hawks have turned down a trade for the Kings' Jason Thompson in the past, but general manager Rick Sund may change his mind if he's offered that deal again.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Boozer to practice on Monday[/h3]
5:20AM ET

[h5]Carlos Boozer | Bulls [/h5]

UPDATE: According to the Chicago Tribune, Boozer has been cleared for contact during Monday's practice.

There's a chance Boozer will play Wednesday against Orlando on Wednesday or wait until Friday's game in Boston.

-- Nick Borges

----

Carlos Boozer has been out for the first part of the season after breaking his right pinky and he told ESPNChicago.com on Friday that he was "100 percent" going to practice with the team on Monday.

"It felt good," he said. "Got a chance to work out again, worked out [Thursday] and worked out today. It's a little sore. Still not strong enough, but as long as it keeps getting stronger and stronger, it should be pretty soon."

Boozer did not reveal a date when he thinks he might return to game action for the first time during the regular season for the Bulls.

He understands he'll have to deal with some discomfort when he finally plays.

"To be truthful, I'll probably end up playing through, for the first couple weeks, probably playing through a lot of that pain, just because I'm anxious to get back out there," said Boozer

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Flynn takes another step[/h3]
4:37AM ET

[h5]Jonny Flynn | Timberwolves [/h5]

Point guard Jonny Flynn is slowly, but surely making progress from his offseason hip surgery. On Sunday, head coach Kurt Rambis put him through an intense three-on-three game.

"This isn't a set drill, where you can control what's going on," Rambis told the Star Tribune. "You have to react to what people are doing, absorb contact."

Rambis still hasn't seen Flynn's explosiveness on a consistent basis and he and the training staff will monitor how Flynn reacts to the workout.

Just finished watching the Suns/Nuggets game from last night; this was Phoenix's text poll question during the game. Not sure whether their fans are this clueless, salty about taking so many Ls to the Lakers or a bunch of weird MJ fanatics...

(Props to whoever was directing the broadcast for cutting to these facial expressions of the Nuggets coaching staff when the results were displayed)

vipv8m.jpg

Just finished watching the Suns/Nuggets game from last night; this was Phoenix's text poll question during the game. Not sure whether their fans are this clueless, salty about taking so many Ls to the Lakers or a bunch of weird MJ fanatics...

(Props to whoever was directing the broadcast for cutting to these facial expressions of the Nuggets coaching staff when the results were displayed)

vipv8m.jpg

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Ask Dirk what he thought of Bosh's defense, Mavs don't have an athletic penetrating point guard and they run mostly pick and pops with Dirk, results?

22 points on 23 shots, 1 - 5 from 3.
Eh, Bosh's career guarding Dirk ain't that fabulous.

134/268=.500.

An exact 50%.

25.8 PPG
8.3 RPG
3.9 APG
1.6 BPG

That pretty much MIRRORS what Dirk has done over his career. Everything is slightly more against the Raptors, PPG, APG, BPG, FG%, etc.

Dirk definitely doesn't struggle against Bosh, and he didn't last night either. 9/23 isn't GREAT, but hell, I'll take it when considering Mr. James shot 5/19 and Wade didn't turn it on till late.

Bosh better be doing well when the defense is trying to stop Wade/Bron.
What that has to do with Bosh defense to last night?

Last night Dirk shot well below his average and didn't get to the free throw line at all, im not saying Bosh is KG, but he played good defense.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Ask Dirk what he thought of Bosh's defense, Mavs don't have an athletic penetrating point guard and they run mostly pick and pops with Dirk, results?

22 points on 23 shots, 1 - 5 from 3.
Eh, Bosh's career guarding Dirk ain't that fabulous.

134/268=.500.

An exact 50%.

25.8 PPG
8.3 RPG
3.9 APG
1.6 BPG

That pretty much MIRRORS what Dirk has done over his career. Everything is slightly more against the Raptors, PPG, APG, BPG, FG%, etc.

Dirk definitely doesn't struggle against Bosh, and he didn't last night either. 9/23 isn't GREAT, but hell, I'll take it when considering Mr. James shot 5/19 and Wade didn't turn it on till late.

Bosh better be doing well when the defense is trying to stop Wade/Bron.
What that has to do with Bosh defense to last night?

Last night Dirk shot well below his average and didn't get to the free throw line at all, im not saying Bosh is KG, but he played good defense.

Seventy-three and nine?

Ha. Try 9-9.

That will be Miami's record if it doesn't win Monday. Nine and nine. And while the schedule-makers have handed the Heat a near-certain respite from .500 with a home game against Washington, Miami may not avoid that destination for long if its play doesn't improve significantly.

Following the Great Hatefest in Cleveland on Thursday, Miami's schedule difficulty steepens in December. Nine of 14 are on the road, including two West Coast trips, and home dates against New Orleans, Dallas and Atlanta offer little relief. The Heat may not be .500 at the end of Monday, in other words, but they could be by the time you're done with Christmas dinner.

The Heat aren't quite as bad off in the Power Rankings and playoff odds -- 10th in the former, slated for 48 wins and a No. 5 seed in the latter. But saying, "They're better than their record," while technically true, also completely misses the more important point that they're still dramatically worse than anybody could have possibly expected.

Moreover, they're trending in the wrong direction. Miami's first 12 games, when the Heat were supposed to be building their chemistry, were actually quite strong. In between close losses to Boston and New Orleans were a series of one-sided wins, including an impressive blowout of mighty Orlando, and a fluke loss to Utah in which the Jazz made four 3-pointers in the final half-minute of regulation.

In contrast, the past five games have been pitiful -- Miami barely beat Philadelphia at home and dropped the other four. While the embarrassing home loss to Indiana looks slightly less embarrassing in the wake of Sunday's Pacers win at the Lakers, the overall body of work is difficult to explain away. Faced with a slate where one would have expected Miami to go 3-2 at worst, they were 1-4 with a minus-29 scoring margin.

So how the heck are they 9-8? We've heard all kinds of reasons. Put Miami under the microscope, and you'll be amazed with how many factors aren't to blame. Compare the Heat's play to date with what we expected before the season, and here's what jumps out at you:

It's not the injuries to Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem.
No disrespect to these two fine gentlemen, but if you can't overcome the loss of Miller and Haslem, you probably weren't destined for greatness to begin with. Haslem had a PER of 12.80 before he went out, and Miller's PER last year was at 14.00. Both players are helpful at the margins, in other words, but they're not the difference between world domination and drawing Indiana in the 4-5 series in the East.
More importantly, it's come to my attention that the Heat have not been the only NBA team to suffer an injury this year. By and large, they've been among the fortunate ones. Any health issues with secondary players have been more than offset by LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh appearing in 50 of a possible 51 games -- more than could have been expected given the histories of Bosh and Wade in particular.

It's not the one-ball theory.

With only one ball to go around, the theory goes, Wade, James and Bosh were bound to suffer because each would have to settle for fewer shots. When I modeled this problem before the season, my answer was that the usage rate for each player (the percentage of possessions used by each player) would diminish by surprisingly little.

The drop-off has been a bit worse than I expected. James, at 32.3 last year, is at 30.3 so far. Wade, at 33.2 a year ago, has fallen to 28.2. And Bosh has suffered the most, falling from 25.9 to 20.4. But even those drops are not dramatic enough to explain the Heat's failures thus far.

And there's a particular reason for part of the drop that isn't endemic to the one-ball issue. We'll get to that in a minute.

It's not the lack of point guard and center play.

Miami's two starters at those positions have not been dramatically worse than average. Carlos Arroyo, with a PER of 13.05, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, with a mark of 15.23, have actually been somewhat better than most analysts expected. At times, in fact, the Heat's most coherent offense has come from pick-and-pop plays involving the two. The mystery here is why they haven't played more -- the duo averages just 40 minutes a game between them.

We can extend this point further, actually, because it's not just the other two starters who have given the Heat little to bemoan.

It's not the supporting cast.

Sure, it would have been nice if the Heat hadn't thrown out Dorell Wright with the bathwater or given up on Michael Beasley a year too soon, but Miami's supporting cast hasn't been dramatically different from what we expected.

By and large, they've done exactly what they've been asked. The players who are supposed to space the floor are making their 3s -- Eddie House is at 40 percent and James Jones is at 40.5 percent, while Arroyo has chipped in a rather unexpected 61.9 percent clip. The reserve big men -- Jamaal Magloire, Juwan Howard, Haslem -- have largely played to expectations, with Magloire in fact being a bit better than hoped for.

The lone disappointment from the group has been Joel Anthony, but (A) this didn't exactly come as a huge shock, even to people (like me) who expected big things from Miami, and (B) every other Heat player to play at least five minutes per game has a PER of 11.0 or greater. That's about as much as Miami could have hoped for.

So ...

If it's not the rest of the roster, and if it's not that the lack of touches, and if it's not injuries, that leads us to only one conclusion:

It's the Big Three, stupid.

The reason the Heat are struggling so much is because all three stars they signed this summer have performed dramatically worse than anyone expected. This has been offered by many people as an item in a list, sort of a partial explanation of Miami's struggles. But that misses the point. The struggles of Wade, Bosh and James aren't a part of the explanation; they're the entire explanation.

Everything else has gone more or less exactly to form except one major factor: James and Wade are headed for their lowest PERs since their rookie seasons, and Bosh is on pace for his lowest since his second campaign. Together, they've dive-bombed more than 20 points of PER, with Wade's 8.57-point decline representing one of the greatest in recent NBA annals. The three players who ranked first, third and fourth in PER a year ago can't be found in this year's top 10.

Offensively, Miami hasn't scored more than 95 points in any of its past six games, and the Big Three's numbers explain why.

James, a 47.4 percent career shooter, is shooting 43.6 percent overall and 26.2 percent on 3s. He's also averaging more than four turnovers a game, after posting among the lowest turnover rates at his position while he was with Cleveland.

Wade is shooting a career-low 44.1 percent, and while it may seem he's become more reliant on the 3, actually the difference is microscopic. Wade has gone from taking 16.1 percent of his attempts beyond the arc last year to 18.4 percent this year. Given the 17-game sample, this is hardly a difference worth mentioning.

What is worth mentioning is that his turnover rate, like that of James, has skyrocketed in the early season, and that like James he's having an unusual amount of trouble making 2-point shots.

Bosh has suffered the smallest PER decline of the three despite the greatest decline in shots, and in his case the entirety of the change can be explained by a lack of rebounds. Bosh pulled 12.0 boards per 40 minutes in Toronto last season, but has fallen to a meager 8.6 this season. His inability to rebound, especially on the offensive end, has largely explained why the Heat have been so mediocre on the glass this year despite having two of the best rebounding perimeter players in the world in James and Wade.

Bosh's low offensive rebound total also explains why his usage rate has declined so much. It's not the lack of a ball to share that's hurt him; it's that the touches he got from second shots have vanished.

The star trio's decline shows up in some other areas, too. Last year, for instance, the Heat ranked third in the NBA in defensive efficiency despite a lack of quality size, because they were among the most disruptive teams in basketball. Miami narrowly missed leading the league in blocked shot rate and was a top-10 side in forcing turnovers. With Wade and James playing the passing lanes and wreaking havoc from the weak side, that figured to continue.

While Miami's overall defensive stats remain very respectable (the recent losing streak has mostly been an offensive phenomenon), they'd be a lot better if the Big Three were at their norms.

Remember all those chase-down blocks LeBron had in Cleveland? He has nine blocked shots in 17 games with the Heat.

Remember how Wade would dart into passing lanes? He's down to 1.2 steals per game, a far cry from the 1.8 and 2.2 he averaged the previous two seasons.

Remember when Bosh would grab defensive rebounds? Not happening in 2010-11 -- fully a quarter of his defensive boards have vanished into the ether.

We can offer up all the tangential reasons we want, but for this edition of the Heat it comes down to a very simple reality. Either Wade, James and Bosh will revert to playing somewhere near their historical levels and resume their quest for domination over the free world, or they will continue putting up these relatively paltry numbers, which won't be nearly enough to overcome a supporting cast that's exactly as limited as we thought.

There is no amount of Mike Millers, Udonis Haslems or Erick Dampiers that can offset or overcome this singular issue: James, Wade and Bosh simply must play better. Some might note that this 17-game sample is an aberration from the 500-game sample of the rest of their careers, and note that this means Miami's odds of recovery are good. But time's a wastin'.

Back
Top Bottom