OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

i know it aint that serious.. but lakers are just as bad as us when it comes to the end of the game, everyone in the building know who is getting the ball..

but i vaguely remember reading something about jordan's shooting percentage being higher in those situations

I think it was a mistake not keeping Bynum in late.

With Chandler in the game, Pau will be a NON-FACTOR.

I'm not trying to crap on Pau saying he sucks, but Tyson can LOCK him down. And will if they have him as their Center in crunch time, because we WILL have Tyson on the floor.

Hell of a game from Tyson, Dirk, and JET. JJ also hit big shots when we looked like we were going to go out without a fight.

Kidd/JET/Marion/Dirk/Tyson. Closing out the game, every game, please.

Either way, it was a great game.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I'm not trying to crap on Pau saying he sucks, but Tyson can LOCK him down. And will if they have him as their Center in crunch time, because we WILL have Tyson on the floor.

Hell of a game from Tyson, Dirk, and JET. JJ also hit big shots when we looked like we were going to go out without a fight.

No, Pau is just acting like an idiot this year.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

i know it aint that serious.. but lakers are just as bad as us when it comes to the end of the game, everyone in the building know who is getting the ball..
I dunno if its really a bad thing.... I mean why not have your superstar, who completely embraces the role, take that last shot. I mean iso Kobe and let him go to work, he is smart/mature enough to find the open man if he is doubled..... I think
laugh.gif

I dunno if its really a bad thing.... I mean why not have your superstar, who completely embraces the role, take that last shot. I mean iso Kobe and let him go to work, he is smart/mature enough to find the open man if he is doubled..... I think
laugh.gif

Yea.. I was about to say no way this guy gives up a shot. Unless he is trile teamed or something
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Oh, right, Lakers fans still discrediting our best defender, that's right.

laugh.gif

Jesus christ.

On the few plays where Pau was on Tyson late, Tyson locked him down.

^ what game was it this year.. where 4/5 players from the other team converged on kobe AND he still took the shot

MJsaver wrote:
Its funny how the 2 contracts that got NT fake *** GM's panties in a bunch (conley & JJ) are lookin pretty good at the moment. 

Some people should just stick to watchin sports instead of predictions or analysis.

It's also funny when people look to a short time frame and make a judgment on a contract too, which is what you're doing as well
laugh.gif
When Joe Johnson is making 21, 23, 25 per year in a few years, then we'll see how great of a contract that was... No one denies Joe Johnson can play, but when you give that kind of money to someone who is going to be in 33-34 making 22+ million a year, that's a huge commitment to someone like Joe

Conley's deal was more of a surprise because he hadn't done much to "deserve" the contract, let's not pretend he's out there putting up 20, 8, and 10 assists every time.. he's putting up good numbers, right now, but not great or elite. His contract is about right as of now..

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Oh, right, Lakers fans still discrediting our best defender, that's right.

laugh.gif

Jesus christ.

On the few plays where Pau was on Tyson late, Tyson locked him down.

Have you not seen Pau this year
indifferent.gif

I guess Emeka locked down Pau too
indifferent.gif

Im not discrediting Tyson, but you clearly said, he can LOCK him down, which is laughable. 

^ you also have to factor in what he could have gotten on the open market (see rashard lewis for the best example of this.. would any team have even come within 30 mill of what orlando offered?)

that's the biggest problem with the memphis deals, they were negotiating against themselves

So, Emeka and Tyson aren't great defenders, okay.
laugh.gif

Pau hasn't been as good this year, no, of course not. But I hate that credit isn't ever given to defenders, it's the other person struggling.

(obviously discounting Dirk) Chandler is the biggest reason the Mavs have any shot to win the series.

& Haywood isn't anything but average but he is a good back up C. I can't buy into the Mavs winning the series with what they have on the perimeter, but up-front, they have what's needed and match up as well as anyone with LA. If Bynum is made into a non-factor like tonight, it pretty much puts the responsibility on Pau to make the Lakers what they're supposed to be. the way he's been going, not the worst thing.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

(obviously discounting Dirk) Chandler is the biggest reason the Mavs have any shot to win the series.

& Haywood isn't anything but average but he is a good back up C. I can't buy into the Mavs winning the series with what they have on the perimeter, but up-front, they have what's needed and match up as well as anyone with LA. If Bynum is made into a non-factor like tonight, it pretty much puts the responsibility on Pau to make the Lakers what they're supposed to be. the way he's been going, not the worst thing.
I've been saying this for the past two years. All of our recent transactions have been made to try and contend with the Lakers style of Basketball. Why do you think we went out and got Caron and Haywood and DeShawn (who sucked tonight). Why do you think we went out and got Marion? Why do you think we went out and got Tyson Chandler?

And I've also been saying Tyson has completely changed the culture of the ball-club.

But both statements I've been laughed at all year about.

^ you also have to factor in what he could have gotten on the open market (see rashard lewis for the best example of this.. would any team have even come within 30 mill of what orlando offered?)

that's the biggest problem with the memphis deals, they were negotiating against themselves
But, Conley is making what anybody of his caliber should be making. He will make $8M in his 2nd to last year and $9M in his LAST year of the contract. By that time, he will be 27/28. There's no telling what kinda player he would turn out to be at that age and he MIGHT be underpaid by that time.
Now...Rudy's contract is different. Memphis did overpay, but a team could have front-loaded his contract as well. We knew for af fact that teams were going for him last off-season (Minnesota, NJ). My thing is, they should've gave him the $60M he wanted last off-season when they could have extended him. 

I have no problems with Conley and Zbo's deal though (at least not at the moment). Hopefully we won't do the same thing with Marc that we did with Rudy and get a reasonable deal for him. We still have to re-sign Battier and Arthur as well. 

Random note: but I love the way coach Carlisle had his rotation going tonight. Spread out the minutes nicely and had Dirk fresh for most of the game.

Lakers role players need to do better though (Artest & Bynum specifically). And as far as guarding Dirk, why not throw a few aggressive double teams at him? Make him pass and someone else beat you.

Oh and JKidd is still one hell of a floor general/ leader out there man. His basketball IQ might be second to none..

Lakers role players need to do better though (Artest & Bynum specifically). And as far as guarding Dirk, why not throw a few aggressive double teams at him? Make him pass and someone else beat you.

Jason Terry and especially Peja Stajokovic.

Doubling someone in the post isn't as easy as people make it out to be.
Any big man that is capable of passing the ball can find the open guy or cutter. Would you really risk letting the entire team get it going with wide open buckets because you doubled one guy? Its a little different when you help on a perimeter player, but doubling in the post is a different scenario. 

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Any big man that is capable of passing the ball can find the open guy or cutter. Would you really risk letting the entire team get it going with wide open buckets because you doubled one guy? Its a little different when you help on a perimeter player, but doubling in the post is a different scenario. 
I like doubling the post. Heck it doesn't even need to be aggressive, all you need to do is show.
And if that big man is capable of passing out, all you need to do is tighten up the rotations on D.  

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I understand that but at a certain point if a guy is just beasting you play after play what are you going to do? Try harder?

Obviously good rotation and great team D is necessary but you have to at least show them some different looks. Any great player will kill you if you keep giving him the same looks. And I'm not saying that doubling is a guarantee success or to do it every time but at some point you have to switch it up. Maybe come hard with it, maybe hedge a bit...just keep them on their toes and see how they react to you.

1. A consistent, dominating Pau, living up to his one of the best big men in the league billing will equate to a Lakers series victory.

2. Problem is, as we saw last series, dude is inconsistent. He's hesitant out there. The Lakers will only go as far as he takes them, not Kobe.

3. Not Kobe, because what Charles is saying is true. Here in May 2011, Dirk is the better player. Kobe is still a great player, but Dirk is automatic offense. Consistent. Un-guardable.

4. Peep Kobe's shot chart. Dude shot outside J's all day. And I mean, outside. No way Kobe can replicate that the whole series. I'd bet Dirk averages more PPG than Kobe. And if Kobe averages more, more than likely, he's reverting back to the put the team on my back, trying to play hero Kobe. That's now how the Lakers win.

5. Peja in, and Artest doesn't exploit him. Post him up, do something. Peja can't defend anybody. Problem is, Artest is content settling for spot shooting 3's. Well, Peja can do that too. And better.

6. Again, Charles got this right. Dallas in 6.

That is true. 
I'm not sure why I haven't seen it in the playoffs for the most part. San Antonio doubled Zbo at times, but they really never slowed him down. When your talking about guys like Dirk and Zbo, both of these guys can kill you posting up or with the face up jumper.

Its very difficult to cover  guys with those type of games, but I'm a firm believer of "one guy can't kill you". You play the best possible defense you can on that guy and take care of everyone else. A team should show some different schemes though. I think its foolish to play 1 on 1 the ENTIRE game. For the most part, teams should play that guy 1 on 1 though. When the post player turns baseline, the guard should come trap him. If he puts the ball on the floor and drives to the middle, the guard should come over and help...things like that.

I've been hearing a lot from Dallas media/coaching staff (not saying I believe this), but that they have been very comfortable with the way Peja and JET have been playing defense.

anyone else been to charlesbarkley.com and seen these 'round mound of review' segments?

these are HILARIOUS

and bhz i don't blame you about happy with the contracts now.. it's going be a bit#(* when it comes time to sign bench guys though.. and it just bothers me when teams drive the price up on themselves

Back
Top Bottom