OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

mad.gif
mad.gif

eyes.gif
tough game to lose, and I don't agree with loading the baseswith 1 out. Should of just pitched to Justin Upton.

We are 27-26 after the All Star break.

We won the series and that is all you can ask for. The Rockies are running out of NL Central (25-10
eek.gif
) teams to feast on. The Padres have won 10 out of their last 13, let's hopethey stay hot against the Rockies.

It will probably come down to the three game series at the Ravine.

Time to take care of the Giants.

one game over 500 since then huh. sounds like a fine WS run to me. time to get it together out there.
laugh.gif

i still need to get tickets for that last series for real though. im not usually a sucker for giveaways but that lasorda plaque just looks dope.

stolen from TBLA. Pretty damn good analysis.

The Dodgers have two outstanding young pitchers in Billingsley and Kershaw. Even though they're now mainstays in the rotation, consider that Billingsley is 10 years younger than Kevin Brown was when he signed his $100,000,000 contract, and Kershaw is 13 years younger. So for right now, I just want to look at Billingsley. He's taken a bit of heat for not being as amazing as he was last year, but I want to know if that's warranted:
2008: 200.7 IP, 32 GS, 201 K, 80 BB, 2.51 K/BB, 14 HR, .248/.324/.363 against, 1.336 WHIP, 3.35 FIP, 3.14 ERA, 135 ERA+
2009: 178.7 IP, 29 GS, 159 K, 75 BB, 2.12 K/BB, 13 HR, .245/.326/.370 against, 1.304 WHIP, 3.62 FIP, 3.93 ERA, 106 ERA+

Based on the three true outcomes, it's not surprising to see a dropoff; he's got a slightly higher walk and home run rate in 2009, and a significantly lower K rate (8.0 vs 9.0 the previous season). But it's equally strange how opponents have nearly identical batting lines against him. Can 0.79 of ERA be explained by productive outs? Or is it possible that Billingsley was a little bit lucky in 08 and a little bit unlucky in 09, but he's roughly the same good pitcher each year?

I do want to look at some pitch data that stuck out at Fangraphs:
Fastball
2008: 59.2% (91.5), -.06 wFB/C
2009: 51.1% (91.7), -.02 wFB/C

using his fastball significantly less means more breaking balls. These could be more stressful on his arm (which would go nicely with the 6th inning struggles story). This could also mean there might be a problem with some of his breaking balls. Let's examine:
2008: 2.1% SL (85.4), 0.35 wSL/C, 18.8% CT (87.6), 1.96 wCT/C, 17.7% CB (77.
glasses.gif
, 1.37 wCB/C, 2.4% CH (84.1), -0.96 wCH/C
2009: 4.1% SL (84.1), 3.47 wSL/C, 22.9% CT (88.9), 0.25 wCT/C, 21.5% CB (78.4), 1.57 wCB/C, 0.8% CH (85.7), -9.07 wCH/C

Billingsley improved every breaking pitch that he took a little velocity off, except for his curveball. Given the velocity, I'm wondering if he actually abandoned his changeup and that's just the designation given to his slider when it doesn't work right. And even if his fastball isn't his best pitch, it's probably not helpful to significantly back off of it. Looking back at Baseball-Reference Splits for 2008 and 2009, his K/BB in 2 strike counts drops from 5.91 to 4.82 from 08 to 09. Additionally, by counting the "after 0-1" and "after 1-0" PAs, Billingsley got first pitch strikes 55.6% of the time in 08 vs 54.3% in 09. I'll hypothesize (but without looking at game data pitch by pitch won't say for sure) that relying less on his fastball has led more to Billingsley being slightly less dominant in 2 strike counts as well as slightly less able to come back from behind in the count.

Billingsley has been dinked around a bit more, and that seems like the biggest difference. Despite even less playing time for Juan Pierre, Billingley has actually had more bases taken on him than previous seasons (34 thus far vs 22 all last season). Further, he's had 11 sacrifice flies against him rather than 5 last season; while this is partly due to luck, not getting as many outs by strikeout does make a difference here; the sac flies alone account for 6 ER; Billingsley has so far this season a mere 8 more than last season.

Billingsley might need better advice about trusting his fastball to get ahead and stay ahead in counts, but otherwise, I don't see too much cause for alarm.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

laugh.gif
2 games now. We might not even be in 1st place after this weekend
The Rockies are hot and they took care of business during a weak homestand (Mets, DBacks, Reds).

They hit the road to play the Padres.

Time to take care of business now. Being in a Playoff race is not neccesarrilly a bad thing.

laugh.gif

And some people (*cough, *cough - PMAC & Ironman *cough) said that the Rockies were done.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Never say never, this why Bright and I, were not pessimistic by any means, just really worried.
tongue.gif

I never said the Rockies were done. I said that the Dodgers weren't going to miss the playoffs. I still stand by that.

You guys are losing perspective a little bit, the Rockies have won 7 in a row and there's nothing we can do about that.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

I never said the Rockies were done. I said that the Dodgers weren't going to miss the playoffs. I still stand by that.

You guys are losing perspective a little bit, the Rockies have won 7 in a row and there's nothing we can do about that.
If I recall, the division was "over".
tongue.gif

Don't matter at this point anyway P, the damn Rockies have had a ridiculous record since the AS break, meanwhile the Dodgers have been hovering around .500since. *sigh*.

Sorry, just a little vent on my part.

just got to take care of business this weekend and get help from the giants when they play the rockies.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

laugh.gif

And some people (*cough, *cough - PMAC & Ironman *cough) said that the Rockies were done.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Never say never, this why Bright and I, were not pessimistic by any means, just really worried.
tongue.gif

You can keep coughing. "Worried", I can't speak for you, but some dudes in this thread are downright pessimistic with all this "TypicalDodgers" talk.

The Rockies on another hot streak right now. They took care of business against a cake homestand they just had. Now it is time to play intra-division gameswhich will be a bit more tough.

Now if we lose 2 out of 3 to the Pirates and then 2 out of 3 against the Nats, then it is a cause for concern.

I often agree with PMac because he seems like the only rational dude on here that doesn't let his emotion's affect his opinions.

Do I like the Dodgers being a .500 club since the All Star Break? No, but you have to understand that what the Rockies are doing now, we were doing in thefirst half.

Dodgers in the first half 56-32 (.636 WP)
Rockies in the first half 47-41 (.535 WP)
Dogers in the second half 27-26 (.509 WP)
Rockies in the second half 34-19 (.635 WP)

Right now, the offense is not clicking. It has been stated and there are numerous articles on this. It is only a matter of time before Manny & Co. startclicking again. This team is too good offensively to be in this type of rut. Glass half full: The pitching has held up, and the bullpen is the best amongplayoff contenders in the NL.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO MISS THE PLAYOFFS!

I doubt will lose the hold on the NL West lead, and if we do, it will be temporary. We already clinched the tie-breaker with the Rockies,
wink.gif

During the last 20 games we are 12-8, while the Rockies are 13-7.

Plus, we can't control what the Rockies do against other teams. The boys have stepped up against Colorado and San Francisco when they've had to.

It's going to be a long 3 weeks for some of you,
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

2 game lead, this should be fun.

anyone else have madden 10 on ps3?

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

tongue.gif

I hear that.

You can throw whatever god damn stat you want at me, at the end of the day since the ASG the Dodgers have played like absolute !@@*. Barely playing .500baseball.

All those regular season stats are fine and dandy but when it comes down to it, this team needs to show that fire and passion we all saw last year -they're playing flat at the wrong possible moment and the Rockets surging as they always do.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

It's going to be a long 3 weeks for some of you,
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
and its gonna be even longer for you.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

All those regular season stats are fine and dandy but when it comes down to it, this team needs to show that fire and passion we all saw last year
tx_joemorgan_all.jpg

That you?
nerd.gif

Since July 1:
Dodgers - 289 RS, 233 RA (.597 pythag %, 38-25 pythag record)
Rockies - 311 RS, 252 RA (.595 pythag %, 37-26 pythag record)

Actual records since July 1:
Dodgers 34-29
Rockies 39-24

What is pythagorean winning percentage?

Pythagorean winning percentage is an estimate of a team's winning percentage given their runs scored and runs allowed. Developed by Bill James, it cantell you when teams were a bit lucky or unlucky. It is calculated by
Code:
               (Runs Scored)^1.83--------------------------------------------------------- (Runs Scored)^1.83 +  (Runs Allowed)^1.83
The traditional formula uses an exponent of two, but this has proven to be a little more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom