OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Good game yall
pimp.gif

sat Field Sec 1, row j today. what a difference from Top deck.
smile.gif
could do without the annoying fans that sat around me tho.. yuppies whining about the heat.had to move to a quiet seat.

cant wait till they remodel the upper decks of the stadium.. so nice down there.. especially the bathrooms.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

But the way torre likes to over use the pen, he'll be having arm troubles in august
I doubt it just because of Kuo's history.

Nothing in the regular season is really going to matter at this point. We need Kuo to be at his best if we face Philly again.

Originally Posted by eyegiantjackpot

sat Field Sec 1, row j today. what a difference from Top deck.
smile.gif
could do without the annoying fans that sat around me tho.. yuppies whining about the heat. had to move to a quiet seat.

cant wait till they remodel the upper decks of the stadium.. so nice down there.. especially the bathrooms.
I sat in Loge 132 today, good seats, just hate the old farts that have personal conversations and are talking about they're law cases at aball game.

But, I'd rather take sitting next to those old farts than sitting in the Top Deck or Reserve with the drunk idiots.
laugh.gif

Sinser, I saw those figures at ToysRus
pimp.gif

Just wouldn't know where to put them now that I got a new place with the gf
grin.gif
laugh.gif

friend got married this weekend. smh at him. been away from the outside world for the past 3 days. good to see they took one out of 3 from the marlins.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

But the way torre likes to over use the pen, he'll be having arm troubles in august

Nothing in the regular season is really going to matter at this point. We need Kuo to be at his best if we face Philly again.

Ok, I'm convinced you and Kuo are on some sort of Jack Dawson and Rose from Titanic "Never Let Go" tip
laugh.gif

Kuo appeared in what ... 7 games for us this season and then he broke down? What sort of limited role would help him save anything he has left in that arm ofhis?

To say this season is a wrap and we have the NL West locked up is *#*%!$* FOOLISH. We could lay an egg this road tripand the Rockies could creep up from behind us.

I'm putting that confident talk about us winning this division on the backburner, there is still half a season left and anything can go wrong. What yearwas that when Dodgers were what 8 games up after the ASG and things just went downhill after that? I'm not trying to be negative, but seriously lets getthere first ... then talk.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

friend got married this weekend. smh at him. been away from the outside world for the past 3 days. good to see they took one out of 3 from the marlins.

laugh.gif
Steps before marriage go like this:
Step 1: your girl buys a puppy - that signifies a bond between both of you.
Step 2: you naming the dog ... did you name the little devil? If you did read step
Step 3: Marriage.
eek.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Ok, I'm convinced you and Kuo are on some sort of Jack Dawson and Rose from Titanic "Never Let Go" tip
laugh.gif

Kuo appeared in what ... 7 games for us this season and then he broke down? What sort of limited role would help him save anything he has left in that arm of his?

To say this season is a wrap and we have the NL West locked up is *#*%!$* FOOLISH. We could lay an egg this road trip and the Rockies could creep up from behind us.

I'm putting that confident talk about us winning this division on the backburner, there is still half a season left and anything can go wrong. What year was that when Dodgers were what 8 games up after the ASG and things just went downhill after that? I'm not trying to be negative, but seriously lets get there first ... then talk.

He pitched well in his rehab starts, and was effective all last season. He's also a hard throwing lefty, and the team that eliminated us last year (and hasthe second best record in the NL) has Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Raul Ibanez.

How many teams can say they acquired last years set-up man of the year at the trade deadline?
pimp.gif

As for the division, if the Dodgers go .500 the rest of the season, they'll finish with 94 wins. For Colorado to get to 94 they'd have to go 40-24 therest of the way. Seeing as how the Dodgers are more likely to end up with 100 wins, I'd say the division is as locked up as its going to get.

"let's get there first, then talk" seems like a faulty strategy to have if you were Joe Torre and Ned Colletti when considering how to use Kuothe rest of the season.

Jerry Crowe:

[h1]The day Vin Scully came in from the cold[/h1]

48299820.jpeg

Email Picture

Dodgers

Vin Scully, left, calls a game at Brooklyn's Ebbets Field alongside then-Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley in the 1950s.

The legendary Dodgers announcer's famously sunny disposition served him well in his professional play-by-play debut on a chilly day in 1949. In fact it helped launch a brilliant career.

Jerry Crowe
July 27, 2009
Vin Scully showed up unprepared for an assignment once in his life -- and Dodgers fans were the better for it.

It was 60 years ago this November, and Scully was a 21-year-old greenhorn, recently graduated from Fordham, new to the announcing business and eager to leave his mark.

The young New Yorker had been tapped by Red Barber to make his professional play-by-play debut at a Maryland-Boston University football game on Nov. 12, 1949, at Fenway Park.

Barber, voice of the Brooklyn Dodgers and host of a college football roundup show on the CBS Radio Network, had met Scully only briefly but remembered the redhead when he needed a substitute after another announcer took ill.

Scully, of course, looked forward to the assignment after working all summer in a studio in Washington, but his mind wasn't entirely focused on football. Also that day, his alma mater would be playing at Boston College, with a postgame dance to follow.

So, even though it was mid-November in New England, Scully left his coat, hat and gloves in his hotel room, preferring to be unencumbered when he got to the dance.

"It was cold," Scully says during a recent interview at Dodger Stadium, "but I thought -- naively, dumbly -- 'I'm going to be working for a network; I'll have a big booth.' "

Instead, he arrived at Fenway Park to discover that he would be calling the game from the roof, exposed to the elements.

"I'm looking for a booth, and there is no booth," Scully says. "There's an engineer with a card table and his little dials for volume, a microphone and about 50 yards of cable. That's it."

The temperature in Boston never climbed above 45 degrees that day, but Scully never mentioned his discomfort or his working conditions to his listeners. Cable trailing behind him, he walked back and forth along the roof following the action.

Meanwhile, the other three games being covered by the network were not nearly as competitive as the Maryland-BU game, so Barber frequently returned to Scully to carry the broadcast.

"The other games started falling by the wayside," Scully says, "but my game was terrific. But it also gets dark, the wind is blowing off the Charles River, the lights are on and I'm freezing."

By the time Maryland wrapped up a narrow victory, Scully says, he felt miserable. Dejectedly, he climbed down off the roof.

"I really feel like I've blown it," he says. "So I go to the dance, meet some pals of mine, but I'm really down. And I'm down on the train going back to New York. I thought, 'Here I was given this golden opportunity, but I was frozen, blah, blah, blah.' "

Two days later, though, a BU official phoned Barber to apologize for the shoddy treatment of a network announcer, explaining the circumstances of Scully's broadcast and providing insight that Barber might never have learned otherwise.

"That turned out to be a big break," Scully says, "because let's say I did a very, very ordinary job. In Red's mind, 'This kid never mentioned anything about no booth, the cold, nothing.' That made a very ordinary job a little more than that in Red's mind."

In his autobiography, "Rhubarb in the Catbird Seat," Barber recalled, "Vin did a sound job, even though it was bitterly cold and he had to work with a hand mike on the exposed roof. The wind even blew his papers away, but he didn't complain."

Says Scully, "He called me -- I'll never forget it -- and said something to the effect of, 'Pretty tough day up there on the roof?' And I said, 'Yes, sir, it was cold.' And he said, 'You'll have a booth this week: You're doing Harvard-Yale.' "

Scully smiles.

He'd left his mark.

Two months later, after Ernie Harwell left the Dodgers' broadcasting team to go to work for the New York Giants, Barber again remembered the redhead who hadn't made a fuss.

Wrote Barber in his autobiography: "I always had the dream of taking an untutored kid who showed some promise and of putting him on the air for what he was, a neophyte learning the trade. Scully was a perfect choice. He was a green pea, but he was a very appealing young green pea. It was obvious he had something on the ball; you didn't know precisely what it was, but he had it."

Branch Rickey saw it too, telling Barber after meeting with Scully, "You have found the right young man."

Scully joined the Dodgers in Vero Beach, Fla., in the spring of 1950 as their No. 3 announcer, sharing the booth with Barber and Connie Desmond. Only 3 1/2 years later, still only 25, he was calling the World Series on national television with Mel Allen.

By 1955, Barber was working for the New York Yankees, Desmond's career had been derailed because of alcoholism and Scully was the Dodgers' principal announcer.

It might never have happened, though, if Scully hadn't left his coat, his hat and his gloves in his hotel room.

Maybe that was dumb.

Maybe it was naive.

But it worked out OK.

smokin.gif

He pitched well in his rehab starts, and was effective all last season. He's also a hard throwing lefty, and the team that eliminated us last year (and has the second best record in the NL) has Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Raul Ibanez.
True, a hard throwing lefty is very crucial for us during the stretch.

But, Kuo has a couple things working against him ... he's a year older, the arm has a year of hurt in it and like you said he's a hard throwing lefty. It's all or nothing with the way he throws.

It really boils down to our starters getting deep enough and not having to depend on our pen, although having a healthy bullpen could be the difference maker.

How many teams can say they acquired last years set-up man of the year at the trade deadline?
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Too bad Kuo can't hop in a DeLorean and go back in time.

As for the division, if the Dodgers go .500 the rest of the season, they'll finish with 94 wins.

Like I pointed out with that one Dodger team, looked like everything was set in stone for them to reach the post-season ... till the wheels felloff.

"let's get there first, then talk" seems like a faulty strategy to have if you were Joe Torre and Ned Colletti when considering how to use Kuo the rest of the season.
It has nothing to do with Kuo.

I'd rather wait till we get there because like the rest of us in here we've been through too many heartaches in the past ... ain't tryna set myselfup.
frown.gif

It really boils down to our starters getting deep enough and not having to depend on our pen, although having a healthy bullpen could be the difference maker.
I don't think it has anything to do with that.

We have a TON of good young bullpen arms. We haven't had an effective Kuo or Wade all season and they were two of our two set-up men all of last season.Our starters can afford to not pitch deep in games because we have an abundance of relief options. There are 3 guys in AAA, and 2 in AA who could come up andget outs just like Wade did last year and Leach and Troncoso have this year. Keeping Broxton healthy is important, but I don't think his current usage is aproblem at all. If he gets hurt, that's just bad luck.

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Too bad Kuo can't hop in a DeLorean and go back in time.
You laugh at last year like it was a long time ago. Last time he pitched Kuo was one of the best bullpen arms in the majors. He pitched 9 inningsin rehab, striking out 12 and walking only 2.

Last year is very relevant because if he can stay healthy, he'll be effective.

As for the division, if the Dodgers go .500 the rest of the season, they'll finish with 94 wins.

Like I pointed out with that one Dodger team, looked like everything was set in stone for them to reach the post-season ... till the wheels fell off.
And the 88 team had no business being anywhere near the World Series.

You can't dismiss that statement that easily.

The decisions that Torre and the front office make the rest of the season are based upon projections. If the wheels fall off, you just chalk it up and try togo get them next year. It would be absolutely foolish for them to say for example pitch Kuo on back-to-back days because they were trying to prevent some sortof epic collapse.

I'd rather wait till we get there because like the rest of us in here we've been through too many heartaches in the past ... ain't tryna set myself up.
frown.gif

We have the best record in baseball.

Enjoy it.

It's very possible to be realistic and optimistic at the same time.

laugh.gif
we can agree to disagree all night.

I have an episode of Entourage to catch up with.

Seriously though, Ari and Lloyd crack me up.

Bow Wow is so out of place in this damn show.

Turtle needs to fall back real quick with all them AF1, that #+%% was popping back in like Season 1 and 2
laugh.gif

The Ashley chick reminds me of Mena Survari from American Beauty for some reason.

That was a great article on Scully 562. Thanks for posting that.
smokin.gif

And for the "put it next to her makeup" comment, that was classic.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]2009 Power Rankings: July 27[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]RK (LW)[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]REC[/td] [td]COMMENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]1 (1)[/td] [td]Dodgers[/td] [td]62-36[/td] [td]The club with the best overall record also is the best in one-run games (20-9).[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]2 (3)[/td] [td]Yankees[/td] [td]60-38[/td] [td]The Yankees, who have won 22 of their past 28, will play 19 of their next 26 games away from home.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]3 (2)[/td] [td]Red Sox[/td] [td]57-40[/td] [td]Jason Varitek has thrown out only 13 of 86 base stealers (15 percent).[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]4 (5)[/td] [td]Angels[/td] [td]58-39[/td] [td]The Angels have won 12 of their past 14 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]5 (4)[/td] [td]Phillies[/td] [td]56-40[/td] [td]The Phillies have won 17 of their past 20 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]6 (6)[/td] [td]Rays[/td] [td]54-45[/td] [td]Carlos Pena is hitting .219, but he leads the AL in homers (25) and is among the league leaders in RBIs (64) and runs scored (65).[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]7 (10)[/td] [td]Rangers[/td] [td]54-42[/td] [td]The Rangers have won six of seven to stay close to the Angels in the AL West.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]8 (9)[/td] [td]Tigers[/td] [td]52-45[/td] [td]Fernando Rodney is 21-for-21 in save opportunities.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]9 (12)[/td] [td]Cubs[/td] [td]51-45[/td] [td]The Cubs, now leading the NL Central, are on fire, with 10 victories in their past 13 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]10 (7)[/td] [td]Cardinals[/td] [td]53-48[/td] [td]Julio Lugo is 8-for-14 (2 3B, 2 2B, 1 HR) with four runs scored in three games since joining the Cardinals.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]11 (11)[/td] [td]Rockies[/td] [td]54-44[/td] [td]The Rockies, who are 34-12 since June 4, also are the NL wild-card leaders.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]12 (
glasses.gif
[/td] [td]Giants[/td] [td]52-46[/td] [td]The Giants scored 23 runs in their first 10 games (3-7) of the second half of the season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]13 (17)[/td] [td]Braves[/td] [td]51-48[/td] [td]The Braves are back competing in the NL East with an 8-3 record to start the second half.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]14 (14)[/td] [td]White Sox[/td] [td]51-48[/td] [td]Carlos Quentin is hitting .200 (5-for-25) with no home runs or RBIs in his first seven games since returning from the DL.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]15 (18)[/td] [td]Marlins[/td] [td]51-48[/td] [td]Hanley Ramirez is hitting .427 with runners in scoring position, second best in MLB.[/td] [/tr][/table]

I only posted the top 15, everyone else is not worthy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

we got 3 locks in life death, taxs and pacman VS bright nikes going at it over pitching
laugh.gif
We're all passionate fans, we all have differentopinions and viewpoints about the club and that's what makes it fun. (is it weird that I actually understood mike's sentence?)

[h2]Wade, Mientkiewicz Set For Rehab Games in Albuquerque[/h2]
IMG_0108_tiny.jpg
by Eric Stephen on Jul 27, 2009 8:12 AM PDT in News
comment.v1599.png
26 comments

More photos » by Lenny Ignelzi - AP

Cory Wade could be activated as soon as Friday.

Browse more photos »

Joe Torre said Sunday that injured reliever Cory Wade will pitch today in Albuquerque on a rehab assignment. Wade has been on the disabled list since July 16 with a right shoulder strain, and is eligible to be activated Friday.

Now comes word this morning that utility man Doug Mientkiewicz, out since April 17 with a dislocated right shoulder, will also play rehab games in New Mexico, starting Tuesday. From Mientkiewicz's Twitter page:
Can't sleep! Driving to NM today. Playing Tom. Can't wait to get back on the field again

Albuquerque is hosting the Iowa Cubs in a day game today. You can listen to the 11:05am start here.

Tuesday's Isotopes game is against the Oklahoma City RedHawks, and starts at 6:05pm.

Mkz
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

we got 3 locks in life death, taxs and pacman VS bright nikes going at it over pitching
roll.gif

BN is my dude, but when it comes to the Dodger pitching this year....

disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

I really can't wait until the trade deadline is behind us. More than likely we will pick up a reliever (Jason Frasor, Arthur Rhodes, Dave Weathers, etc.). I hope they don't make a mega-trade that involves any major part of our major league roster. I think it will ruin chemistry.

I've stated previously that we still have some arms that have yet to contribute: Kuo, Wade, Ohman (remember him,
laugh.gif
). Not to mention some arms in the system that are now starting to perform,Scott Elbert.

Ronald Belisario will be back by the end of the month, giving Troncoso a much needed break. Hopefully JMac can start producing. Even Guillermo Mota hasturned it around, earlier this season he was "Game Over" for all the wrong reasons.

We just had a 6-4 homestand, and we didn't win every series (split with Houston, swept the Reds, lost to the Marlins). Overall, the homestand wasn'tspectacular (except for Wednesday), but it was solid. We now know that any game Schmidt pitches in, will be a loss. We got lucky against the Reds, since noone knew how it was going to turn out. The scouting reports are out and everyone knows to sit on Schmidt's slow !$$ fastball.

I'd rather wait till we get there because like the rest of us in here we've been through too many heartaches in the past ... ain't tryna set myself up.
frown.gif

The heartache hasn't been with blowing division leads, that goes to Mets fans. The heartache lies in having teams that get off to good startsand implode despite the talent (teams of the mid to late 90's). The baserunning blunder along with Beimel's late night antics of the 2006 NLDS. TheCardinals blowing us away in the 2004 NLDS. Back to back sweeps in the NLDS in '95-'96.

This team will be fine, we have had the best record in baseball all year. Would it be bad to actually have a playoff race? Do you want to be the 2008 Cubs,riding a wave of complacency due to blowing away your division competition? Right now we are fending off the Yankees and the Red Sox for best record in MajorLeague baseball in order to earn home field advantage in the World Series...oh wait....the All Star Game took care of that.
smh.gif

I tried to do some research on this elusive team that BN is talking about, couldn't find it. The only team I could think of was the 1991 Dodgers who werein first place most of the year (highest lead was 6 games) and lost the lead on August 28. Then again, they lost the lead to the Atlanta Braves. The 2009Rockies are not the 1991 Braves.

The 2006 team lost 13 out of 14 after the All Star Break, they didnt have a hold until winning 17 out of 18 (stread began 7/28). Even then, that team was onlyin first place for a little over a month (8/10-9-16). Their biggest lead was 4 games. They ended up tied with the Padres, but the Padres ended up with the NLWest crown.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

We now know that any game Schmidt pitches in, will be a loss.
We'd probably have a better chance throwing Bape Loney on the mound then give Schmidt another opportunity out there.

The only reason I brought up that statement of that Dodger team is because Vin kept mentioning it ... saying anything could happen in the division and he'drefer back to that team.

laugh.gif
Don't fault me for enjoying all that celebrating we had lastseason, but then get viciously murdered by the Phillies because our pitching wasn't up to par.

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts/2009/07/andre-ethier-named-nl-player-of-the-week.html[/h1]
[h1]Andre Ethier named NL Player of the Week[/h1]
Andre Ethier is the NL MVP of the week for the second time this season and third time since September 7. Ethier had a .630 on-base percentage and 1.045 slugging percentage from July 20-26.

Though he doesn't have Matt Kemp's speed or defensive value -- in fact, his tentativeness in right field has never seemed so acute to me as it did on this past homestand -- Ethier has almost drawn even with Kemp in adjusted OPS this season. Kemp is at 129; Ethier is at 127.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

We now know that any game Schmidt pitches in, will be a loss.
We'd probably have a better chance throwing Bape Loney on the mound then give Schmidt another opportunity out there.

The only reason I brought up that statement of that Dodger team is because Vin kept mentioning it ... saying anything could happen in the division and he'd refer back to that team.

laugh.gif
Don't fault me for enjoying all that celebrating we had last season, but then get viciously murdered by the Phillies because our pitching wasn't up to par.

Wouldn't be a bad idea putting Loney over Schmidt, I heard James has a mean curveball
nerd.gif

I also have that "anything can happen" mentality, I'm enjoying this season so much, but at the same time, I have no high expectations becausethat's just the way it's been all these years. Can't help it.
eyes.gif

FrenchBlue23 wrote:

I also have that "anything can happen" mentality, I'm enjoying this season so much, but at the same time, I have no high expectations because that's just the way it's been all these years. Can't help it.
eyes.gif

I'm sayin
frown.gif

Btw, Pujols and Holliday in this 4 game series?
smh.gif

[h1]Reds Are Sellers; Close To Making A Deal?[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 27 at 2:29pm CST]

Jeff Fletcher of AOL FanHouse hears that the Reds are close to making a deal after top team officials spoke on a conference call this morning. The Reds, fifth in the NL Central, are sellers and have pitchers like Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang and Francisco Cordero who could all appeal to teams seeking pitching.
The Dodgers have interest in Arroyo and Harang, but only if their pursuit of Cliff Lee falls through. The Reds would likely have to take on salary in any deal involving Harang or Arroyo.

Back
Top Bottom