OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Originally Posted by 75 Partly Cloudy

shane victorino
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif

Any word on Jason Schmidt come back or is he pretty much done?

Originally Posted by LB510

Originally Posted by 75 Partly Cloudy

shane victorino
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif

Any word on Jason Schmidt come back or is he pretty much done?

he's been pretty much given up on but I know he's in AAA working on it. Let me find a recent article

Short hops
Jason Schmidt gave up four runs in six innings Tuesday in the latest start of his rehabilitation assignment with Albuquerque. Schmidt is scheduled to start again Sunday.
[table][tr][td]2009[/td] [td]Dodgers (A+)[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2.25[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009[/td] [td]Dodgers (AAA)[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]3.95[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

DODGERS 12, MILWAUKEE 8 (10 INNINGS)

[h1]Matt Kemp comes up big for Dodgers[/h1]

47999426.jpg

Email Picture

Morry Gash / Associated Press

Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp is congratulated by second baseman Orlando Hudson and catcher Russell Martin after hitting a grand slam in the 10th inning on Friday night in Milwaukee.

He hits a grand slam in the top of the 10th and ends the game with a Willie Mays-type catch.

By Dylan Hernandez
July 11, 2009
Reporting from Milwaukee -- This is becoming kind of old, isn't it?

Another lead was blown.

Another deficit was made up.

Another extra-inning game was won.

On the night Manny Ramirez moved into a tie with Mickey Mantle for 15th place on the all-time home run list, the Dodgers erased a ninth-inning deficit with Trevor Hoffman on the mound and scored six runs in the 10th to storm to a 12-8 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers at Miller Park.
The Dodgers improved to 9-2 in extra-inning games by taking a contest that bore some resemblance to the 13-inning triumph in San Diego on Sunday that Manager Joe Torre described as an expression of his team's indefatigable spirit.

"What can I say?" Torre said. "They just keep plugging away."

That day in San Diego, closer Jonathan Broxton blew a four-run lead in the ninth.

Friday night in Milwaukee, ace Chad Billingsley had the worst start of his All-Star season, as he was rocked for five runs, five hits and four walks in five innings, and Brent Leach gave up a go-ahead run in the eighth on a solo home run by Mat Gamel.

But the Dodgers made up for the rare failures of Billingsley and Leach with their first five-homer game in three seasons, the last shot a grand slam by Matt Kemp off Carlos Villanueva in the 10th inning that capped the Dodgers' latest late-inning surge.

"We've been there a while," Kemp said. "We know that if we're down late in games, we know we can come back with the kind of lineup we have."

Andre Ethier, James Loney and Russell Martin also homered.

"Our bats are coming alive," Kemp said.

With Torre dismissing Billingsley's performance as an aberration, the only disconcerting development of the evening was the form of Broxton, who was charged with two runs, three hits and a walk in a 28-pitch 10th inning.

Broxton nearly gave up two more runs, as Jason Kendall drove a ball deep to center with two out and men on the corners.

Back turned to home plate, Kemp ran under the ball and caught up, securing the victory by climbing two steps up the wall after the catch.

Torre said that Kemp ran into the dugout and shouted, "Willie Mays Hayes!" the name of Wesley Snipes' character in the movie "Major League."

But really, it looked more like Willie Mays in the 1954 World Series.

"I was messing around with it in batting practice today," Kemp said of the basket catch. "I guess I thought I'd use it in the game today."

Kemp got the chance to use it because of his surprise bunt single off Hoffman in the ninth that put men on the corners. Mark Loretta hit a pinch-hit single that drove in Martin to tie the score at 6-6 and push it into extra innings.

Villanueva looked as if he had no interest of facing Ramirez in the 10th inning and walked him on five pitches, the latest sign that Ramirez is returning to his regular form more rapidly than expected.

And who could blame Villanueva, who watched from the bullpen as Ramirez hit his 536th career home run in the sixth inning on a towering two-run shot over the wall in right-center.

But Casey Blake made Villanueva pay, as his triple to right-center scored Ramirez from first to put the Dodgers ahead, 7-6. Pinch-hitter Juan Pierre drew an intentional walk, which was followed up by a run-scoring single by Martin.

A walk to Orlando Hudson loaded the bases to set the stage for Kemp, who smashed the ball into the left-field stands for his 11th homer of the year.
Major League
smokin.gif
lol

[h3]Versatile Weaver gets call for Dodgers[/h3]Los Angeles (55-31) at Milwaukee (44-42), 4:05 p.m. PT

By Cash Kruth / MLB.com

07/11/09 3:38 AM ET

MILWAUKEE -- Long reliever or spot starter.

No matter the role, Jeff Weaver has filled in more than admirably anywhere the Dodgers have needed him this season.

On Saturday, that will be as a starting pitcher, as Weaver makes his fifth start of the season against Milwaukee.

"I've been a starter my whole career, so it's something that I'm obviously used to," Weaver said. "I think it's been more of an adjustment pitching out of the bullpen. When I get spot starts, that kind of comes back easy."

Weaver hasn't pitched since Sunday, when he threw three no-hit innings in the Dodgers' extra-inning win against the Padres. A stretch like that, with six days off between outings, has been the most difficult part of Weaver's current role.

He said the key to being successful in both roles at once was to find a routine that would benefit him as both a starter and reliever. Thanks in large part to spending the entire 2008 season and most of this April in the Minor Leagues, Weaver has found such a routine, and the numbers back it up.

In 10 relief appearances, Weaver is 3-2 with a 3.48 ERA in a 20 2/3 innings. He is equally impressive in his four starts, going 2-0 with a 3.15 ERA.

"Weaver's been great for us," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. "We cut him in the spring and he was shocked, because he thought he pitched well enough to make it, and he really did. ... We felt we'd get [Weaver] back if we didn't lose him mentally at that point in time. We sent him down to really stretch out for this purpose."

The possibility that Weaver could have struggled mentally is something Dodgers catcher Brad Ausmus knows about first-hand. A 17-year veteran, Ausmus was in Detroit in 1999 and 2000, Weaver's first two years in the Majors.

Then, Weaver was a highly-touted first-round Draft pick (14th overall in 1998) thrown into a losing situation in Detroit just 10 months after being drafted. He showed electric stuff then, but struggled to hide his emotions -- something Ausmus adamantly said most young players struggle with.

Since his time with the Tigers, Weaver has learned gradually throughout a bumpy 10-year career that featured highs (picking up the win in Game 5 of the 2006 World Series for St. Louis to clinch a championship against none other than the Tigers) and lows (spending an entire season out of the Major Leagues).

Still Weaver has persevered, and while the speed of his fastball and slider have dipped a slight 2-3 mph, Ausmus said Weaver's experience has given the pitcher a different demeanor both on the mound and in preparation.

"Instead of just trying to out-stuff guys as a young player, he [now] has a much better grasp of what hitters' strengths and weaknesses are and how they match up against his strengths and weaknesses and how he should attack them," Ausmus said. "From what I remember, he's a lot more closely involved in how to get guys out rather than just trying to get guys out."

That maturity has transcended into Weaver as a person. He said the time he spent in the Minors made him realize how important the bullpen is to a team. He now understands that being put in the bullpen isn't a demotion; it's just another way to help the team.

"More so than any other time in my career, recognize how valuable guys are in the bullpen, and it's not just a 'you got pushed to the bullpen type thing.' They're very important to a team's success," Weaver said. "Realizing that and understanding that and being able to be a part of it, it's a whole different adrenaline rush for me, a different challenge. ... Now it's just a matter of being part of a winning team any way I can help, and it just happens to be in this way."

one thing i've noticed about shaggy is he doesn't let the smallest mishap mess with his concentration. We've had so many pitchers overthe years who were always a pitch away from losing it that it's refreshing to see him get that in order. He's been great. And a lot of you dudesdoubted Senor Shaggy
smh.gif
smh.gif
For Shame....

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

one thing i've noticed about shaggy is he doesn't let the smallest mishap mess with his concentration. We've had so many pitchers over the years who were always a pitch away from losing it that it's refreshing to see him get that in order. He's been great. And a lot of you dudes doubted Senor Shaggy
smh.gif
smh.gif
For Shame....
pimp.gif
we been pullin' for him

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
After he threw out the runner at 2nd after sliding to stop the ball, he gets up and motions to putting the gun in the holster
roll.gif

Manny is back
smokin.gif

Damn, wish I can watch the game ... stuck here at Lakewood Mall.

Ain't this by your crib 562?

I feel like I'm in the sneaker showcase / Official Hypebeast Thread
smh.gif

So many black dudes wearing bright colored skinny jeans, they really think they're doing it
smh.gif

DODGERS FYI

[h1]Dodgers closer Jonathan Broxton to miss All-Star game[/h1]

Alex Gallardo / Los Angeles Times

Dodgers closer Jonathan Broxton closes out a victory over Colorado.

An irritated nerve in a big toe will sideline the hard-throwing reliever this weekend as well.

By Dylan Hernandez
4:30 PM PDT, July 11, 2009
Reporting from Milwaukee -- Jonathan Broxton won't pitch in the All-Star game on Tuesday because of an irritated nerve on the big toe of his right foot.

Broxton will miss the last two games of the Dodgers' series against the Brewers.

Manager Joe Torre said he called National League Manager Charlie Manuel to let him know that he would have to replace the 25-year-old closer. Broxton will still go to St. Louis to take part in All-Star festivities.

Torre said that third base coach Larry Bowa nudged him on Friday night and pointed out that Broxton was noticeably limping.

"We interrogated him," Torre said.

Broxton, who had problems with the same toe last month, told him that the pain resurfaced on July 5 in San Diego, the day he blew a four-run lead in the ninth inning.

Broxton had another rough night Friday, as he gave up two runs, three hits and a walk in a 28-pitch 10th inning in the Dodgers' 12-8 victory.

Guillermo Mota could be the Dodgers' closer in Broxton's absence, Torre said.

Milton down, possibly out

Sidelined No. 5 starter Eric Milton could miss the remainder of the season because of a herniated disk in his lower back, a development that could turn the Dodgers' desire to acquire a starting pitcher at the trade deadline into a necessity.

Milton, who underwent an MRI exam on Friday, will visit Dr. Robert Watkins in Los Angeles on Monday. His season could be over if Watkins determines that Milton should undergo surgery.

"It looks like it'll be long term," Torre said of how long he expected Milton to be out.

Long reliever Jeff Weaver, who is making a spot start today, could remain in the rotation. Rookie James McDonald and Jason Schmidt, who will start for triple-A Albuquerque as part of a rehabilitation assignment, are other possibilities.

DeWitt down, Elbert up

With Broxton out, the Dodgers summoned former first-round pick Scott Elbert from triple-A Albuquerque and sent down infielder Blake DeWitt.

Elbert was called up late last season to add an arm to the Dodgers' bullpen but was moved back into a starting role this spring. The hard-throwing left-hander was 3-4 with a 4.27 earned-run average in 15 games, including 14 starts, between double-A Chattanooga and Albuquerque.

For the 23-year-old Elbert, the call-up was a pleasant surprise. He became a reliever after undergoing major shoulder surgery in 2007 and said he wasn't expecting to be called up to the majors this season.

"I'm just happy to be here," he said. "I hadn't started for two years. I wanted to take this year to get back into the swing of things. My goal was to get back into the big leagues as a starter."

[email protected]

Something had to give, Brox has been pitching like absolute feces right now.

I'm worried because that big toe seems like its going to be a lingering injury throughout the season.

We have Bills, O-dog, Bills, Wade, Belli really stinking it up and this rest should do them well
tired.gif

we need to get a reliever and starter in some trades.....ive been sayin it for a while. the pitchers dont need to be all stars, just decent...

come on dodgers.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Damn, wish I can watch the game ... stuck here at Lakewood Mall.

Ain't this by your crib 562?

I feel like I'm in the sneaker showcase / Official Hypebeast Thread
smh.gif

So many black dudes wearing bright colored skinny jeans, they really think they're doing it
smh.gif

roll.gif
oh noooooooo that's turrible. Woulda been the same if you went to Cerritos, but swap the black kids for the asian ISS demographic
laugh.gif

I was in Wilmington watching UFC after the doggies lost.

Giants won
smh.gif

i hate goin to cerritos, asians think they are the %+%%, i cant stand it. they look like a bunch of anorexic 12 year olds, smh

48009855.jpg

Email Picture

Jeff Lewis / Associated Press

Toronto ace Roy Halladay is a six-time All-Star and the 2003 Cy Young Award winner.

BILL SHAIKIN / ON BASEBALL

[h1]Dodgers can't let Roy Halladay get away[/h1]

Jeff Lewis / Associated Press

Toronto ace Roy Halladay is a six-time All-Star and the 2003 Cy Young Award winner.

Some believe the right-hander, whom Toronto is willing to trade, would make the Dodgers a World Series winner.

Bill Shaikin
July 12, 2009
Mannywood is nice. Bleacher Beach is cool.

The World Series is better.

That's why we're here. Now is the time. If Frank McCourt really wants to do all he can to deliver a championship to the fans of Los Angeles, and to parlay the best record in baseball into the best chance to win in October, he ought to send Ned Colletti shopping and tell him not to come back without Roy Halladay.

Two decades is too long for Dodger Stadium to sit idle during the World Series, too long for the Dodgers to milk the glory of Kirk Gibson. Halladay is the grand prize of the July trading season, arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

"He would make the Dodgers a World Series winner," a high-ranking American League executive said. The executive could not be identified because his team forbids him from publicly commenting on other teams.

The Dodgers would have to pay dearly to get Halladay, as any team should. This is not about quantity, about trading half a dozen scrubs and suspects. This is about quality, about enticing the Toronto Blue Jays to surrender perhaps the best pitcher in franchise history.

The Dodgers ought to start by offering two-time All-Star catcher Russell Martin, a Canadian star for Canada's team.

The Dodgers have made no secret of their interest in Halladay. They had two scouts watching him Thursday, and they had started talking to the Jays even before Toronto General Manager J.P. Ricciardi said publicly last week that he would solicit offers for the six-time All-Star.

Colletti, the Dodgers' general manager, has said since opening day that he hoped to acquire pitching. He said Friday he wants a veteran for the eighth inning and a starter who "can make our rotation definitively better."

In Halladay, you get both, at least on the days he pitches. Halladay has thrown three complete games this season, to the Dodgers' one. He has thrown more complete games than the Dodgers in each of the last three years.

He ranks fourth in the American League with a 2.85 earned-run average. In 12 seasons in Toronto, none of them ending in a playoff appearance, he is 141-69.

Colletti declined to comment on Halladay or any other player, citing baseball's tampering rules.

"I've talked to a lot of clubs, including Toronto," Colletti said.

For the Dodgers, this is about winning now, so they can't lose three players from their major league roster to get one.

This is tricky, because their best young players are already in L.A. -- seven players 25 and under on the current roster, including center fielder Matt Kemp, closer Jonathan Broxton and starters Chad Billingsley and Clayton Kershaw.

Martin is 26. The Dodgers ran him into the ground in each of the last two years and promised not to do it again this year, but he has caught more innings than any major league catcher besides Yadier Molina.

The Blue Jays would have control of Martin for three years beyond this one. They could maximize his offensive skills in that time by using him at third base, where he performed brilliantly for the Dodgers last year. They also could use him at catcher, at designated hitter, and on occasion at shortstop.

It's catcher or bust for Martin with the Dodgers, with no DH and third baseman Casey Blake signed through 2011.

The Dodgers' lineup would be weakened a tad without Martin, but they could survive with Brad Ausmus, A.J. Ellis and Danny Ardoin. If the coaching staff objects, they could get the Jays to throw in catcher Rod Barajas.

The Jays aren't going to trade Halladay for Martin straight up, of course.

The Dodgers also should offer two of their top 2008 draft picks -- shortstop Devaris Gordon, a high-ceiling shortstop prospect two or three years from the majors, and right-hander Josh Lindblom, the former Purdue closer who almost made the team out of spring training. Lindblom could go into the Jays' bullpen right now, perhaps into their rotation next year.

Keep in mind that neither Gordon nor Lindblom is ranked among the top 50 prospects in the minor leagues, as ranked last week by Baseball America. None of the Dodgers' prospects is ranked, in fact, and certainly the Dodgers will be bidding for Halladay against teams offering prospects near the top of that list.

This is not to say the Jays would accept Martin, Gordon and Lindblom for Halladay, or even that the Dodgers would offer that package. The coaching staff would be reluctant to lose Martin at this point of the season, and the organization has all but deemed Gordon untouchable.

But this is the time. This group of Dodgers position players will run out of time soon. Martin, Kemp, Andre Ethier and James Loney all are eligible for salary arbitration next season, when Manny Ramirez figures to play his final season in L.A. Orlando Hudson is not signed beyond this season. Blake turns 36 in August. Shortstop Rafael Furcal turns 32 in October.

The Dodgers might never be closer to winning it all with this group than they are right now. They are an ace away, and there is an ace to be had.

That brings us back to McCourt, since the winner of the Halladay sweepstakes inherits a contract that pays the pitcher about $5 million for the rest of this season and $15.75 million next season. It's a wash, really, with the money the Dodgers saved because of Ramirez's suspension and with Jason Schmidt off the books next season.

McCourt would not take on any money in last summer's trades. Colletti would not say definitively whether the Dodgers could do so this summer.

"Depends on the deal," Colletti said.

We left a message for McCourt, trying to get a firm answer on how the Dodgers' drop in attendance might affect his decision on whether to take on a big contract. We did not hear back.

If Colletti says there is a deal to be had, just say yes. The Dodgers could pitch Halladay against Cole Hamels and the Philadelphia Phillies in the playoffs, or they could face Halladay and Hamels on consecutive days, perhaps the last two days of what would be a disappointing season.
smh.gif
smh.gif
The thought of this and what we'd have to give up....

The world series though...

bel_licking_lips282175530_std.jpg

If it took Martin to get Halladay, I would really consider it.

It would benefit Russ going back to ohhhh Canada, and they have 3 positions waiting for him.

We have Ausmus, which our pitching staff has responded well with, and AJ Ellis.

We drafted catcher heavy during the draft, knowing that we'll need a replacment for martin soon enough.

I'll be sad as hell to see him go, but Halladay is well worth it.

It doesn't look like Kemp will get the nod for the ASG.

Ibanez just came off the DL and played last night.

Early game today, need a W bad. The giants are just racking up W.

Btw, this heat needs to chill out
smh.gif

That's absolutely laughable.

You don't develop a guy as a catcher and have him go to two All-Star games then trade him in his 3rd full season.

Another thing you just don't do is trade an everyday starter (and a VERY important part of the team) when your team has the best record in baseball unlessyou can find a replacement that is somewhat capable. The Dodgers don't have anyone in the system right now that they know can become a starting catcher inthe big leagues. Ausmus is a not a good enough hitter to play everyday, and Ellis is a career backup at best.

Back
Top Bottom