OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

How'd the Dodger thread fall so far back?

Here's a bump - let's take 3 outta 4 from the Phills
pimp.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Jonathan Broxton: The Most Underrated Pitcher in Baseball[/h1]
When discussing the best relief pitchers in baseball, you will rarely hear Jonathan Broxton's name arise.

Mariano Rivera, Francisco Rodriguez, Joe Nathan, Trevor Hoffman, or Brad Lidge may very well be some of the answers you hear to that question, but there are more than enough reasons why Broxton needs to be regarded more highly.

You might remember Broxton from the NLCS last season. He surrendered a go-ahead, game-winning two run home run to Matt Stairs in the top of the eighth of Game Five. The home run lifted the Phillies to a 7-5 win and they went on to defeat the Dodgers 4-1 in the NLCS.

This season, Broxton has rebounded and been back to business as usual. Just take a look at Broxton's 2009 projections:

76 IP, 14-0, 1.33 ERA, 36 Sv., 14.59 K/9 IP.

Those are not stats from Play Station Three baseball. Those are his projected numbers for a 162-game season, according to baseball-reference.

Thus far in '09, Broxton has complied 13 saves in 15 opportunities, which ties him for third in the NL, and is posting a 1.24 ERA.

This is Broxton's first full season as the Dodgers closer. He took over the role for the injured Takashi Saito last July 18.

Big Jon stands at an imposing 6'4", 295 lbs. and has the power to back up that physique. Broxton displays a fastball that regularly touches 99 MPH. The soon-to-be 25 year old also displays a hard slider that he likes to go to with two strikes.

What has been most remarkable is that Broxton, with six wins, also stands tied for second in the NL in that category. That already surpasses his career high, four, posted in both '06 and '07.

Two of his wins have followed one of his own blown saves.

However, Broxton has earned four gritty wins in one run games at home. Joe Torre likes to bring Broxton in during games that are either tied or the Dodgers trail by one run.

Torre does this because he trusts in Broxton to deliver a scoreless inning. This allows the offense to have a better chance to win the game in the bottom of the eighth or ninth.

The strategy seems to be working, as the Dodgers are 11-1 at Dodger Stadium during one-run games.

This weekend, the World Champion Phillies came to Los Angeles and saw two ninth inning leads turn into one run losses. Brad Lidge blew saves on Friday night and Saturday afternoon proving, after a perfect 41/41 effort in 2008, that he is hittable.

Broxton notched his sixth victory on Friday, pitching a scoreless top of the ninth. The Dodger offense took advantage of Broxton keeping them just one-run behind, and Andre Ethier whacked a two-run walk off double in the bottom of the ninth.

Ethier followed up Friday with another walk off on Saturday, this time a home run to deep center field. Corey Wade got the win and added to the bullpen's major league leading 17 wins.

The bullpen, filled with pitchers you probably wouldn't recognize if they walked into your house, has been a big part of the reason the Dodgers are having so much success.

As for young Jonathan, he has become the leader of the bullpen.

It is probably unrealistic to expect Broxton to keep winning so many games. Let's just consider he finds a way to win four more games this year, and winds up with a total of 10 at season's end.

He is also projected to save 36 games. Let me take a second to say that I do think saves are a somewhat misleading stat, but as we analyze Broxton's other numbers in consideration with the saves, they will further support his overall dominance.

We can adjust his ERA to fall more closely in line with his career numbers. In 2009 he has only surrendered four runs and on average, he allows 22 runs/year. Let's estimate he gives up 12 more runs, because he is having a career best year, and has a total of 16 runs allowed in 09'. He is projected to pitch 76 innings, putting his ERA at 1.89.

If Broxton can achieve 10 wins, 30 saves, and a sub-2.00 ERA, he would be just the fourth pitcher in history to do so:
[table][tr][td] [/td] [td]
W-L
[/td] [td]
Saves
[/td] [td]
ERA
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
John Hiller (1973)
[/td] [td]
10-5
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Greg Minton (1982)
[/td] [td]
10-4
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Doug Jones (1992)
[/td] [td]
11-8
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Jonathan Broxton (2009)*
[/td] [td]
10-0
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
*Projections

Maybe those numbers aren't enough to convince some people of his dominance. So how about this?

Left-handed hitters have struck out in 26 out of the 50 at-bats they have faced Broxton. Right-handed batters have fallen victim to the strikeout 21 times in 46 tries. That means he is striking out 49 percent of the hitters he faces overall.

He is also yet to allow a home run in '09, and only gave up two in the entire '08 season.

Considering the remarkable consistency Broxton has shown since debuting as a raw 21-year old four years ago, we can expect good things to keep coming from the Big righty.

I think it's time we give him proper consideration and put him in the discussion amongst the elite relievers in today's game.

logo_la_79x76.jpg
pr_header.gif

06/07/2009 12:12 PM ET

Spring into Summer: Dodgers to provide free parking June 16, 17 and 18

As the school season closes and spring turns into summer, the Los Angeles Dodgers will provide Free Parking in the general lots at Dodger Stadium for the three-game series June 16-18 versus the Oakland Athletics. Gates open at 5:10 p.m. and game times are 7:10 p.m.
Fans will be able to enter all Dodger Stadium gates, where the $15 parking fee will be waived for entrance into the general lots. Fans who have purchased preferred parking will still park in their sections.

"This gesture is our latest initiative to help ensure that all of our fans can enjoy our National Pastime at Dodger Stadium," said Dodger CEO Jamie McCourt, who helped create the Commissioner's Fan Initiative at the beginning of this season. "With the conclusion of the school year, we want to make it even easier for families to spend their summer evenings with us."

The Dodgers will be celebrating Heroes Week during the three-game series, honoring police, firefighters, and community heroes. DodgersWIN, the club's women's initiatives network, will be presenting the tributes.

On Tuesday, June 16, Police Appreciation Night, the team pays tribute to Los Angeles law enforcement officials. Inspirational television star Kent McCord, who portrayed an LAPD officer on the hit show, "Adam-12," will join female LAPD officers in the DodgersWIN tent in centerfield before the game. They will meet fans, sign autographs, and take photographs.

Earlier in the day, Dodger players, including rookie Jamie Hoffmann, whose father is a sheriff in Brown County, MN, will visit to the Northeast Station and Police Academy adjacent to Dodger Stadium earlier in the day.

Wednesday, June 17, Firefighter Appreciation Night will salute more than 3,500 uniformed citizens who serve the community in the areas of fire prevention, firefighting, emergency medical care, technical rescue, hazardous materials mitigation, disaster response, public education, and community service. Dodger players will visit local station #20 earlier in the day.

On Thursday, June 18, the Dodgers will salute several community heroes who often work without recognition.

Since the Dodgers defeated the A's in the 1988 World Series, Oakland has played just eight times at Dodger Stadium with the Dodgers winning five of those eight games.

CincoSeisDos wrote:
WORST MOVIE OF THE YEAR

Just coming home from watching this @%$%, L A M E

Save your money. Only funny scenes are with the Doctor from Knocked up. Andy Bernard shouldn't steer too far from Dunder Mifflin either.

Only positive from this night is that I picked up a book recommended here on NT in my summer reading thread before I went to the theater. But, this movie blew chunks.

Only 3 other times have I fell asleep in a movie:

Gangs of New York

The Punisher (Travolta Version)

The Hulk (Ang Lee)

You can now add this one to the list.

Terrible....
CincoSeisDos wrote:
I'm sorry dude, but how people were claiming this was supposedly funnier than SB or Pineapple Express is beyond me.

Superbad > this

Pineapple Express > this

Adventureland > this

even Nick and Norah > this

I'm willing to bet money i'd have had more laughs if I went in and saw that douchey movie Dance Flick.

laugh.gif
dudes are blatantly offended that someone disliked this $@*+ movie

Super Troopers > This

Saving Silverman > This

Old School > This

Anchorman > This

BIODOME > > > This

im shock they didnt have you running for cover in that thread
roll.gif

but hangover wasnt that bad

eek.gif
I don't even wanna begin at the disgust I had while watching Pineapple Express.

The humor in that movie was just old recycled jokes, I haven't toked in maybe 8+ yrs, and I don't even think it would make that movie funnier for me.

My gf and I probably had higher expectations as far as humor goes, and we couldn't wait to bounce outta there.

Haven't had the chance to see hangover though.

Pineapple express is one of the worst movies i EVER seen %@$# was hot trash, i think i laugh one time the whole movie. i never smoke so maybe thats why i didntfind the crap funny

CincoSeis got a pass from me because of this thread...
laugh.gif

But speaking like that of the Hangover was almost out of line..
tired.gif
grin.gif
. I need the DVDin my life so I can catch all the lines this time.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Pineapple express is one of the worst movies i EVER seen %@$# was hot trash, i think i laugh one time the whole movie. i never smoke so maybe thats why i didnt find the crap funny

I don't know how PE got so much praise.
mad.gif

Pineapple Express was trash, and I watched it
pimp.gif
out of my mind and on HD
laugh.gif

Milton to the DL, DeWitt called up.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/450/Eric_Milton
Eric Milton has been placed on the 15-day DL with a strained back, which apparently happened during Friday's game against Philadelphia. Blake DeWitt was recalled from Albuquerque to take his place on the 25-man roster.

Pierre LF
Hudson 2B
Ethier RF
Blake 3B
Loney 1B
Kemp CF
Furcal SS
Ausmus C
Wolf P

Russ gettin' more time off appreciation
smokin.gif

Hudson moving to the 2-hole appreciation
smokin.gif

Furcal being dropped to 7th
eek.gif

Who gets the nod in place of Milton? Weaver? Glavine?
nerd.gif

Nobody in Milton's place. Dodgers have a ton of days off coming up and won't need a 5th starter. First time having a 12 man rotation in a while.

102 pitches. 91 fastballs & 11 sliders for Bastardo against the Padres in six innings in his only ML start.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Pineapple express is one of the worst movies i EVER seen %@$# was hot trash, i think i laugh one time the whole movie. i never smoke so maybe thats why i didnt find the crap funny
"The only reason we're friends is because I like the drugs you sell. If you did not sell those drugs we would not be friends" Youdefinitely have to smoke to understand the humor

P MAC ONE wrote:
Nobody in Milton's place. Dodgers have a ton of days off coming up and won't need a 5th starter. First time having a 12 man rotation in a while.

Milton's next start:

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td] Friday, June 12[/td] [td][img]http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif[/img] Rangers Ballpark in Arlington | 5:05 PM PT[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td]Eric Milton, LHP (2-0, 2.89)
Dodgers (39-19)[/td] [td] @ [/td] [td] [/td] [td]To be announced
Rangers (33-23)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Scouting Report:
Dodgers: After two consecutive road wins, Milton struggled against the Phillies. He allowed runs in the third and fourth innings, and was unable to retire the Phillies in order in any of the innings he pitched. In the third, Jayson Werth reached on a single and eventually scored on a fielder's choice. In the fourth inning, the Dodgers' defense let Milton down as an error by Orlando Hudson that could have resulted in a double play led to runs scored by Eric Bruntlett and Chris Coste. In all, Milton lasted 4 1/3 innings and gave up eight hits. Milton is 5-2 with a 4.57 ERA in 11 career starts against the Rangers.[/td] [/tr][/table]

Milton can't come off the DL til June 21

Victorino CF
Utley 2B
Werth RF
Howard 1B
Ibanez LF
Rollins SS
Feliz 3B
Ruiz C
Bastardo P

Pierre LF
Hudson 2B
Ethier RF
Blake 3B
Loney 1B
Kemp CF
Furcal SS
Ausmus C
Wolf P

With the off days, there should be no immediate impact on the starting rotation. Looking ahead, by the next time the Dodgers need a fifth starter, June 20, Eric Stults will be eligible to come off the disabled list. (Milton last pitched June 5, which means he wouldn't be eligible to come off the 15-day list until June 21.) As for the 12-man staff, we might see Travis Schlichting pitch yet!
DT

I'm just looking at the probable starters off Dodgers.com

Milton has a start coming up June 12.

Yeah, but with Monday and Thursday off, they can start Kuroda on Friday with Wolf, Billingsley and Kershaw following him and they'll all be on regularrest.

Hopefully, that strain back doesn't effect him in his next start - ala Stults coming off the DL and totally losing his groove.

Man Lakers & Dodgers @ 5PM, horrible scheduling!

Espn doing their intro starting with the Lakers then leading up the 110 to the ravine
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom