OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Oh right. I forget about Shawn Williams and Michael Doleac

Gotta add Bill Walker to my likeable list. He and Shawne faced 19,000 Stormtroopers off the bench in Utah. Never forgotten

Jonathan Bender was nice for us. Corner, midrange and blocks. Such a shame that his knees couldn't hold up

Never forget our rentable center, Earl Barron :lol:

I had high hopes for Frank Wiliams :smh:

Remember when we almost didn't get Melo cause Dolan wanted to keep Mozgov

Actually, Walsh wanted to keep Mozgov. D'Antoni agreed with Walsh. D'Antoni didn't want to lose Mozgov. Walsh mentioned that it was tough to find a such a young, great touches and such cheap center in the league

Dolan was the one who forced a trade

Last edited:
It's all good

The funny part is that I actually agreed with Walsh. I had no problem when we acquired Melo. It was just Mozgov may not be an all-star player but his size was what we needed when we had Amar'e. Mozgov and Amar'e played well together on the court. It's the same thing when you felt about losing Lopez. It's because Lopez is much cheaper and Lopez played excellent with KP on the court.

I just felt like we gave up way too much. Using amnesty clause on Billups made this deal looked much worse. We shouldn't have picked up team option if we were planning to go after Chandler :smh:

Using our amnesty on Billups a week after we picked up his option is one of the most foolish things i've ever seen

Using our amnesty on Billups a week after we picked up his option is one of the most foolish things i've ever seen

agreed. healthy or not, we should've amnestied amare. i knew it wasnt gonna be a good fit from the get go and we've been in need of a PG for so long. it didnt make sense to drop billups who had championship experience and had rapport with melo already.

There is a reason why Glen Grunwald no longer has a job in the NBA in "basketball management." 

He may have helped build the best 50-win team in the last 10-12 years, but he made **** decisions along the way to prevent sustaining such a team for a long time.

Last edited:
There is a reason why Glen Grunwald no longer has a job in the NBA in "basketball management." 

He may have helped build the best 50-win team in the last 10-12 years, but he made **** decisions along the way to prevent sustaining such a team for a long time.
Bargnani trade.

Not having a ****** cap situation & owning every 1st round pick for the forseeable future makes Phil the best GM we've had in a long time.

blocks 2 shots per game, gives up 20-25 points to the opposing big...thats not a good defender. thats like saying allen iverson shouldve won DPOY for steals, even though he would get lit up.
Except that AI didnt win DPOY and Tyson did? Tyson didnt come in and allow 20-25 points to big men every night. If anything it was speedy guards who have ALWAYS killed the Knicks. What Tyson did was come in, stabalize the middle of our defense, protect the rim, and most important he gave our team an identity. This team was lost before we signed Tyson. Just a bunch of poor fits randomly placed together. It is no surprise that our team record and defensive ratings greatly improved with Tyson on board. Not only did he consistently defend centers well but he literally anchored the defense for the entire ******* team. Who, outside of Shumpert, were almost all minus defenders at their positions.

He constantly had to save us from other player's defensive mistakes that season. He was our vocal leader on defense (which was HUGE in improving our team defense) as well as our much needed defensive anchor. I could get maybe being bitter towards Tyson but idk how it was possible to not have loved Tyson Chandler here in 2012 and 2013 unless you got some sort of thing against thinner centers (even though I would personally take a skinny/athletic Tyson/Camby/KP esque rim protector who runs the floor over a burly low post center any day of the week).

Not to mention Tyson also anchored a championship defense on another team full of poor defenders. I dont think Allen Iverson was ever capable of doing that. Clearly he wasnt the problem when he was the only one of the bunch who proved himself to be championship caliber in his role, and he only stepped up his game during his first 2 seasons in NY.

Man the Tyson hate is really strong in here. Stop being foolish. I will literally go back and look through box scores from Tyson's 2 seasons here to prove yall wrong if you force me to.
laugh.gif

Dont make me do that ****, because I know for a FACT that Tyson wasnt giving up 20-25 points to his man every night in a league with less scoring centers/post players in general, with our typical leaky faucet perimeter defense and Melo playing at the 4, and leading us to 54 wins and winning DPOY all at the same damn time. Something in that equation just dont add up. 

Last edited:
The thing everyone in this thread remembers is when Hibbert gave Tyson the biz during the playoffs, essentially costing us the season. So in my eyes the hate is warranted.

Back
Top Bottom