OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
no i dont but felton is a free agent this summer and it would give us more cap flexibility with signing free agents including a pg or even KD which obviously is unrealistic... but with Jose on the roster it limits our options... and jose is not that much better than fatboy anyway

Last edited:
no i dont but felton is a free agent this summer and it would give us more cap flexibility with signing free agents including a pg or even KD which obviously is unrealistic... but with Jose on the roster it limits our options... and jose is not that much better than fatboy anyway

Calderon isn't better than Felton at all

No thanks to Jennings. Not at the expense of Grant or anyone valuable.
Jennings is an expiring though, he'd be perfect to off-load Jose's 2 year contract.  But I agree on that Grant part, he hasn't been given much of a chance yet AND deserves to stay.

Last edited:
Grant is in the doghouse for no got dam reason. Why is Sasha Vujacic getting minutes over someone who's actually in your plans for the future of this team?

i'd be fine with Jennings as long as we don't include any valuable assets like JRS said. packaging Grant with Calderon just to get rid of Calderon's contract would be an awful move

Yep, so worst case scenario if that Achillies injury screws over his productivity AND/OR he becomes a mental-headcase here in NY........Jennings just slides off the salary cap at the end of the season along with the other salary we have freed up to trade for him

Last edited:
Dunno what y'all see in grant. If it takes him to get Jennings expiring u have to make that deal. I guess u guys don't want Conley, batum, or even rondo at all next year huh

December PER:

1. Kyle O'Quinn: 34.5
2. Curry: 32.4
3. Durant: 30.5
4. LeBron: 29.7
5. Kawhi: 29.4
6. Westbrook: 29.1

Dunno what y'all see in grant. If it takes him to get Jennings expiring u have to make that deal. I guess u guys don't want Conley, batum, or even rondo at all next year huh

He's a rookie, I see good qualities in him. That's an old Knick move in trading young guys just to watch them flourish elsewhere.

& then be like " **** we should've kept that guy " :lol:

Grant has played 25 games in the NBA under an awful coach who doesn't give him consistent minutes. He hasn't been great so far but he's still young & has time to reach his potential.

I want Conley on this team badly. He'd capable of getting to the basket & would open up the offense for guys like Melo & KP to get open shots.

yeah he's only a rookie and he's been hindered by uncle derek as coach. he definitely has enough physical attributes and court awareness that can be further developed. he was a good pickup and needs to have some time to expand his talent.

unlike most people here i also think galloway, lance thomas, sasha & calderon can contribute positively under the right leadership/coaching. i have a lot more faith in those guys than i do derek fisher

If it moving Grant allows us to move Caldo's contract, it's possibly worth considering....

But idk if it's worth giving up the only PG who plays defense just to move 1 yr of Caldo. I don't consider getting half a year of Jennings coming off an achilles injury as acquiring an asset, especially given that he's a UFA this summer. The proposition would basically amount to trading a first rder to shed 1 yr of salary.

And idk the rules of the stretch provision entirely, but doesn't it allow you to spread the remaining salary over 5 yrs AND offset that by the amount he earns when signed by another team? Due 7.7m in 2016, waiving w/ the stretch provision would only mean 1.54m of dead money on the cap the next 5 yrs. Assuming he gets signed for let's say a 1m deal with another team, i think it becomes (6.7/5) 1.32. So in that case, the cost/benefit would be losing Grant for 1.32m of cap space. I don't think we're so close to the cap that 1.3m would be prohibitive to signing a top FA like Conley, so to me I wouldn't move Grant unless you don't think he's even worth 1.32m on the cap (plus his actual salary, about 2.2m) or you get something more valuable in return.

I don't think Grant is that bad of a rookie either. He plays hard, seems to be smart, can drive, can defend. He just really needs to work on his jumper, badly. Getting more consistent minutes and a well-defined role (which no one outside of Melo, KP and Afflalo seem to have on this team) would help, but that's in Fisher's hands.

Last edited:
Serious question guys. What does Grant bring to the table that differentiates him from Galloway? I haven't seen him play much. Would I be correct in assuming they have similar skill sets?

On another note I don't think Jennings would fit here.

Serious question guys. What does Grant bring to the table that differentiates him from Galloway? I haven't seen him play much. Would I be correct in assuming they have similar skill sets?

good slasher & ball distributor whereas i see galloway as more of a scorer than someone who passes the ball around

i like what afflalo has done with this team so far. he's been pretty low key, but consistent

i'm not sure he'll be with the team next season, but wouldn't  mind him staying if he continues to quietly deliver

Last edited:
I like the idea of WCS and Winslow if we had the ability to entertain a full on rebuild but we're not the 76ers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom