Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

What's Brewer do?
nerd.gif

Brewer hit a half court buzzer beater to send the TWolves into overtime.
man, I wish I could just attend at least one 2nd overtime game....

That 3 OT game was wild.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Monta.
laugh.gif

Suns.
pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Kobe channeling his inner Horry, do nothin for 47.5 minutes, hit a shot, call it a night.

The Southwest Division: Where being over .500, being 5.5 games from the 2nd seed, and still last in your division happens.

Shotouts to my boy russy for not giving a #$@* who his team star player is and taken clutch shots himself

Lol

Just heard what John Lucas said about Cleveland the year leading up to Lebron...

Cavs owner disputes Lucas' claimsComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Did the Cleveland Cavaliers tank the 2002-03 season to ensure a better shot at drafting LeBron James? Former Cavs coach John Lucas, who was fired during thatseason, said he believes that's the case, according to a published report.

"They trade all our guys away and we go real young, and the goal was to get LeBron and also to sell the team,'' Lucas told AOL FanHouse. "Ididn't have a chance. ... You can't fault the Cavaliers for wanting to get LeBron. It was hard to get free agents to come there.''

James

The Cavaliers finished the 2002-03 season with a 17-65 record, tied with the Denver Nuggets for the worst record in the NBA. Cleveland won the NBA's draftlottery and selected James with the No. 1 pick. Lucas was fired midway through that season.

Gordon Gund, who was then the team's principal owner but is now a minority owner of the Cavs, denied Lucas' claims. He also told the Web site that theCavaliers weren't for sale during that season. The team didn't get sold until 2005.

"You don't try to get the No. 1 pick,'' Gund told AOL Fanhouse. "That's why the lottery was designed. To not allow that. We had ayoung team that we were developing. ... We did not tank the season. ... To lose to get LeBron James, we would never do that. I wouldn't do that. Icouldn't do that.

"In the very last game of the season, we had nothing to gain and we were in sole possession of last place [in the NBA]. But we beat [the Toronto Raptors]and that left us tied with Denver [at 17-65]. ... The chances of getting the first pick were only [22.5 percent].''

Lucas, now an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Clippers, will face his former team for the first time since being fired in 2003 when the Cavaliers host theClippers on Saturday.

Lucas said he was ordered to play young players.

Guard Ricky Davis, who was a member of that Cavs team and is now a member of the Clippers said that Lucas was in a no-win situation.

"It was tough on [Lucas],'' Davis told AOL Fanhouse. "They were forcing him to lose and I know it's nothing he wanted to do. It'sjust the position he was forced in. But it's tough. ... It worked, whatever they did [to get James] so it's hard to knock them. They got what theywanted. But it was hard on Luke.''

Lucas also questioned the trades made by the Cavaliers during that season.

"Andre [Miller] was really coming into his own and we trade him [to the Clippers] for Darius Miles, who had a bad knee, and Harold Jamison, who [waswaived],'' Lucas told AOL Fanhouse. "We traded Lamond Murray, who averaged [a team-best 16.6] points, [to the Raptors] for Yogi Stewart, who wason the [injured] list. We traded Wesley Person for the 49th pick, which was Matt Barnes ... So I couldn't win.''

Gund defended the trades, which were made by then-general manager Jim Paxson.

"I agreed with the trades,'' Gund told AOL Fanhouse. "Andre was one that we really wanted but he wanted a max salary [when he would become arestricted free agent in 2002] and we didn't think he deserved a max at that time because he hadn't shown being an All-Star.

"We all liked Andre. But Lamond Murray was not a key player. He and Wesley didn't have anywhere near the seasons they had [in 2001-02] afterthat.''

Lucas was fired after the Cavaliers started 8-34. Gund pointed out to AOL Fanhouse that if the team was truly trying to lose games, then why would it fireLucas?

"I just didn't think the chemistry was good. The players weren't responding to John,'' Gund told the Web site. "This is not acriticism of John. I like John.''

He got stones, that's for sure, but until he starts hittin em like DFish does, he need to hold off a lil bit and let Durant handle things. Otherwise,Durant might punch dude out and take the ball from him on the inbounds.
laugh.gif

But I give credit for Westb wantin the shot though. You can't teach that.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

The Southwest Division: Where being over .500, being 5.5 games from the 2nd seed, and still last in your division happens.
thats the western conference for ya...youd be the 5th seed in the east

i dont wanna hear thse people talk about how the west is suddenly weak now and how the power has shifted in the east...you can be under .500 and still be thecurrent 6th seed in the east
sick.gif

I'm sure one of our dear Cavs fans will be along soon to tell us that Cleveland tanking never happened.
eyes.gif

Like we didn't all know this
laugh.gif
.. it was so obvious watching them play. I remember ppl were calling in and asking why the Cavs were actually playing hardat the end.

Now we got NT'ers about to say.. " Well it didn't matter it's not like they won anything. Or "He's gone in 2010 anyway".

laugh.gif
we shall see what happens

I mean, how does a team that does nothing but lose their entire history, go about tanking? Play the way they always have?
ohwell.gif

Musta been tanking for almost 4 decades then.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

I mean, how does a team that does nothing but lose their entire history, go about tanking? Play the way they always have?
ohwell.gif

Musta been tanking for almost 4 decades then.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
ouch
laugh.gif

[h6]Jon (Indianapolis)[/h6]

Impending trade for the Cavs? Brian Windhorst is saying both Shaq and D. West are being held out of tonight's game even though they both participated in the shoot around this morning.
[h6]John Hollinger[/h6]
[h6] (12:50 PM)[/h6]

Just saw Windhorst's tweet on that myself. Intriguing, to say the least. The two represent about $25 million in salary, so there are a LOT of different possibilities for how that might be used. One wonders if there's an agreement to waive Shaq and let him come back, too.

Anyone?

What's my word on Mark Price? What I say?

You mad an apology regarding Mark Price after that CLASSIC post you made straight crushing the Cavaliers history after the Magic series last year wasresurrected recently.
smh.gif

Said you didn't mean to disrespect him like that.
laugh.gif

Isn't Z's contract more appealing to teams willing to trade than Shaq's? I'm not 100% sure on it. If it's for Jamison or Murphy I don'tsee the Wizards or Pacers taking back those two.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
How funny would it be to see Shaq in DC?

roll.gif

We might see Arenas grab a buncha guns right out Delonte's case and start shootin at everybody for that deal. This trade needs to happen.
laugh.gif

In all seriousness though, could Shaq live with being traded, cut, and then re-sign with the Cavs a month later? A top 20 all time player?
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

That would be crushing to watch.
Jamison could be solid in Cleveland though. He'd be #2 on their all time scoring list by the end of March.

Ok, sorry again Mark.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom