Offical 2008 NFL draft Thread. 12PT/3ET on ESPN/NFLNetwork

Seems like most of steeler nation is pretty happy with our picks... i've gotta say, i'm a little disappointed.

As far as value goes, they got very luck in pulling in two guys that are very talented skill players at the spots they did.. definitely made out in the valuearea.

But look... we have pressing needs at OL.. we're not very good, and the guys we have, 4 of them are FA's at season's end.. Our defensive line isold and beaten up... and our secondary is weak as hell.

We have a pro bowl running back and two great wide receivers to go along with a pro bowl quarterback... so we spend our top two picks on a RB and a WR?

I don't know.. it's a fine line.. you gotta take value when you can get it, but i'm NEVER a fan of drafting first round running backs intoday's NFL.. unless the guy is a can't miss, one in a million type of player, you can find good RB value later in the draft... And while Sweed was agreat value pick so late in the 2nd round, and i do think he improves our offense... i think we are better suited finding a linemen again at that spot as well.

Now we're really stuck pissing in the wind trying to find some talent at those other 3 spots tomorrow, with not a ton of picks remaining... I hope thefront office knows what they're doing.
frown.gif

i say Miami is going to draft Manningham to go with the other 2 Michigan players they drafted. Perfect fit. They all know how each other plays already.

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

I'm worn the hell out.
smh.gif
at dudes leavin school early n not even goin in round 2

Some real bad decisions...
send some left over BBQ this way you no how @%@#*# do with left over BBQ
laugh.gif

why did the niners pass on desean jackson! at the worst he would have solidified our return game, which is non existent. Hopefully they go Dennis Dixon latetomorrow.

Originally Posted by SEVEN654THREE

why did the niners pass on desean jackson! at the worst he would have solidified our return game, which is non existent. Hopefully they go Dennis Dixon late tomorrow.
because he sucks and the front office is not a bunch of bay area homers that just wanted to pick someone cause he played college ball near by

Originally Posted by Flowsomuch

Originally Posted by dfresh244

Antoine Cason will be the best CB in this draft by far.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I like him on the Chargers. Him + Cromartie = BEASTLY

He ain't gonna get no time except as a nickel with Jammer still holding it down.

He'll get some play at Safety too.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

If SD was gonna go in that direction, I think Reggie Smith would have been a better fit than Cason.

Agreed. Reggie Smith + a couple extra picks is more attractive to me.

Day One Draft Grades via RotoWorld

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
Mid-term NFC Draft Grades
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]There is already an open DataReader associated with this Connection which must be closed first.

[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
article_top_dash_line.gif

pixel.gif

[table][tr][td] PRINTER FRIENDLY[/td] [td] NFL Draft Grades Archives[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
These are mid-term grades. The final grades will be in by Sunday night.

Arizona Cardinals
Grade: B

The Cards didn't give in to trade inquires about Anquan Boldin and secured two players with exceptional upside in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at No. 16 and Calais Campbell at No. 50. Both players fit their scheme, although neither may have an instant impact.

Atlanta Falcons
Grade: C

Atlanta reached to fill needs with Matt Ryan at No. 3 and USC tackle Sam Baker at No. 21, surrendering two second-rounders to Washington to acquire Baker. They probably could've had him at No. 34. Oklahoma ILB Curtis Lofton was a strong pick.

Carolina Panthers

The Panthers have to like what they came away with (Jonathan Stewart and Jeff Otah), but giving up a 2009 first-round pick, a second-rounder, and a fourth-rounder was a bit much. Still, these players are pretty close to sure things and will help immediately.

Chicago Bears
Grade: B-

Matt Forte, who Chicago tabbed at No. 44, will probably replace Cedric Benson as a starter in 2008. Chris Williams shores up the blind side, although he needs to add strength. The Bears still need a quarterback.

Dallas Cowboys

In a small surprise, the Cowboys went with Felix Jones over Rashard Mendenhall at No. 22. They got an excellent cover corner in Mike Jenkins, but parted with two picks to move up three spots for him. Martellus Bennett should prove to be a more explosive backup for Jason Witten than Anthony Fasano.

Detroit Lions
Grade: C-

The Lions moved down two spots in the first and still got their right tackle (Gosder Cherilus). But Tatum Bell is still their starting running back and that is a problem. Second-rounder Jordon Dizon has potential, but at 6'0/226 probably won't help against the run. The defensive line still stinks.

Green Bay Packers
Grade: A-

The Packers used their usual best-player-available strategy with each pick, from No. 37 (Jordy Nelson) to No. 56 (Brian Brohm), and came away with a solid cornerback prospect (Auburn's Patrick Lee) at the end of the second round. GM Ted Thompson knows what he's doing.

Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings' first-round pick went towards Jared Allen. They sent their second- and fourth-round picks to Philadelphia to nab Tyrell Johnson at No. 43. Presumably, defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is confident he can teach Johnson how to cover. They did get a fifth-rounder back in that deal.

New Orleans Saints
Grade: B+

The price tag wasn't too much for New Orleans to move up three spots in the first round and grab a coveted defensive tackle (Sedrick Ellis). In a draft that has only two surefire studs at the position, that was a sound move. Tracy Porter of Indiana at No. 40 was a steal. No Lito Sheppard or Jeremy Shockey, though.

New York Giants

New York kept Jeremy Shockey and came away with two physical defensive backs - Terrell Thomas and Kenny Phillips. Phillips has great upside and could be an immediate starter. Thomas isn't a strong bet to be more than a nickel guy.

Philadelphia Eagles
Grade: A+

By trading out of the 19th spot, the Birds picked up a first-rounder in next year's draft. They also took an explosive first-round talent (DeSean Jackson) at No. 47 overall. Notre Dame DT Trevor Laws, who Philadelphia got 47th, has a motor that never stops running.

San Francisco 49ers

The Niners took two projects (Chilo Rachal and Kentwan Balmer) with their top picks. Rachal was a need pick after RG David Baas underwent surgery for a torn pectorals, but neither is a sure bet to be a solid starter. Both were boom-or-bust picks for a team that wasn't very good last year.

Seattle Seahawks

Seattle picked up fifth- and seventh-rounders from Dallas to move down three spots in the first round. There they grabbed DE Lawrence Jackson in a value move. TE John Carlson (at No. 38) is ready to start.

St. Louis Rams
Grade: D

The Rams got a good player and filled a need with Chris Long, but went against their draft board to get him. They then reached for Houston wideout Donnie Avery, a raw projected third-rounder who may not be ready to do more than return kicks, with the No. 33 overall pick. It doesn't get much worse.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Grade: C+

Aqib Talib was a fine gamble at No. 20 overall, but the Bucs stretched for Appalachian State Dexter Jackson in a major way. Devin Thomas, the Michigan State wideout, should've been a strong consideration in place of Talib.

Washington ********

The ******** secured three weapons for Jason Campbell - Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly, and Devin Thomas. But really, how much is Davis going to help? They could've at least used a pick to help one of their thin lines.
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]AFC

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
Mid-Term AFC Grades
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]There is already an open DataReader associated with this Connection which must be closed first.

[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
article_top_dash_line.gif

pixel.gif

[table][tr][td] PRINTER FRIENDLY[/td] [td] NFL Draft Grades Archives[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
What's sillier than giving an NFL team a draft grade before the players ever hit the field. How about a draft grade midway through the actual draft. What follows is our take of Day one of the NFL Draft. We will be updating the column with our final grades on Sunday night.

Evan Silva's infinitely more intelligent NFC Grades are here.

We'll be back with our draft pick news analysis and Draft Blog on Sunday morning.

Baltimore Ravens

This draft will forever be known as the Joe Flacco draft. If he's a quality pro, it was a huge success. It will be a failure if he turns into Kyle Boller, another workout wonder who climbed up draft boards. Cam Cameron loves Flacco, so he gets our benefit of the doubt. The Ravens get extra points for working the draft board, picking up picking up extra third and fourth-round picks from moves from eight to 26 and back to 18. Ray Rice adds value as a dynamic backup.

Buffalo Bills

Buffalo knows how to find hard-nosed defensive backs. They nabbed Donte Whitner a few years back, and Leodis McKelvin is a similarly tough-minded tackler who will remind Bills fans of Antoine Winfield. Getting the top cornerback at pick eleven is a plus. The Bills filled another need by taking physical wideout James Hardy in the second round. They needed size, but there more consistent wideouts on the board.

Cincinnati Bengals

Cincy had to be disappointed with how the top of the draft went. Keith Rivers fits their defense well, but they wanted Sedrick Ellis. Then they took a project out of Coastal Carolina (Jerome Simpson) when seasoned receivers remained on the board. They better hope Chad Johnson shows up by Week 1 because Simpson needs time to adapt to the NFL.

Cleveland Browns
Grade: A -

Sure they didn't actually select anyone Saturday. But Brady Quinn and Corey Williams are a pretty good haul for the first two rounds.

Denver Broncos

Denver did a great job finding need players that fit their scheme. They had to be thrilled the second best tackle in the draft was still on the board in Ryan Clady. He fits their zone scheme better than Jake Long would anyway. Eddie Royal has extra value on returns and could develop as a rugged complement to Brandon Marshall in the mold of Ed McCaffrey.

Houston Texans

A lot of people will kill the Texans for "reaching" for Duane Brown, but they are looking for different qualities in offensive line. The Godfather of zone blocking Alex Gibbs was recently hired and fell in love with the athletic upside of the kid. Still, we give Houston credit for picking up a third and sixth-round pick by moving down and selecting the guy they wanted all along.

Indianapolis Colts

No one plans ahead and drafts better for need than Bill Polian. His selection of the best technician in the draft, Mike Pollak, is a good indication that Jeff Saturday is nearing the end of the line. For now, Pollak can play guard.

Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars paid an enormous bounty to move up for Derrick Harvey, a guy with inconsistent production at Florida. Giving up their first-rounder and three mid-round picks was a case of falling in love with one player too much. Second-rounder Quentin Groves is a good pass rusher, but was taken off some teams' boards because of character concerns.

Kansas City Chiefs
Grade: A

King Carl Peterson usually takes a roasting in the press, with good reason. But he'll have his day in the sun after snagging Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, and Brandon Flowers. Kansas City needed a huge draft after losing Jared Allen and they got off to a great start. They turned down a monster deal from New Orleans to take the best player in the draft (Dorsey) and got hard-nosed players at good values at the other spots.

Miami Dolphins

Great meat and potatoes draft. Jake Long better be a true dominator at left tackle, but Miami seems confident he won't need to play on the right side. Philip Merling and Chad Henne represent fantastic values in the second round. Merling is a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense, while Henne is a strong-armed alternative to John Beck before long.

New England Patriots

The Patriots always value players a little differently than others. That was true in their selections of Jerod Mayo and Terrence Wheatley Saturday, but they always take players who are intelligent and versatile. Mayo is an instinctive inside linebacker, a position they desperately needed some youth at. Wheatley has a similar profile coming out of school to Asante Samuel. They now have three third-round picks after moving down to the tenth spot.

New York Jets

Vernon Gholston is a prototype 3-4 OLB, but his inconsistent effort won't fly in New York. The Jets needed another playmaker on offense, and choose Dustin Keller over any wide receiver. He reminds us a lot of Ben Watson. Solid haul for New York, but they traded away yet another draft pick, just like last year.

Oakland Raiders
Grade: D+

Passing on Glenn Dorsey could haunt them for years. Running backs, especially in a zone scheme like Oakland's, are too easy to find to invest a number four pick on. Especially when they are likely to split carries. He better be Adrian Peterson or the pick doesn't work.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Willie Parker's fantasy owners may disagree, but the Steelers did well to go best player available in the first two rounds. They still need a lot of help on their lines, but ReShard Mendenhall is a true three-down back, and Limas Sweed was our favorite physical receiver in the draft. Pittsburgh's fine history of drafting helps win our favor here.

San Diego Chargers

We love Antoine Cason as a physical cornerback to step in and play nickel back right away, eventually going into the starting lineup. The low grade is for dealing away way too many picks last year for Eric Weddle. San Diego doesn't have another pick until round five.

Tennessee Titans

Tennessee has drafted a running back early in three straight drafts. While it's good to admit a mistake on Chris Henry (last year's bust), they are taking a similar workout wonder in East Carolina's Chris Johnson. We like Johnson far better (he's great on third downs), but that's a high pick for a role player. They took another high upside/big risk player in Jason Jones, whom many thought would fit better in a 3-4 defense.
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

I really don't see where people are getting that Martellus Bennett is not a good blocking TE. He's not great right now, but he's definitely aboveaverage, and there's plenty of room for improvement with better coaching... He rotted in that CRAP offense Fran ran in College Station, but he's gotjust about every physical tool you could ask for. Tall, strong, physical, huge hands.

Cowboys could probably use another DB tomorrow. DaJuan Morgan, Reggie Smith and Charles Godfrey are good looks... Look at finding another NT with Harrison,Sims, Athyba... The run on WRs in Round 2 was nuts. None of the guys left, other than Caldwell, are even the least bit intriguing, IMO...

smh.gif
Rotoworld

Titans should have got a F-

the Saints went all Defense and did good, They deserve an A.
Eagles got an A, for what?

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

smh.gif
Rotoworld

Titans should have got a F-

the Saints went all Defense and did good, They deserve an A.
Eagles got an A, for what?

ummm maybe because they got a top rated WR, a top rated DT, and an extra #1 pick for next year...

Also
eek.gif
@ the ******** second round picks of arguably the two best WR's in the draft.
pimp.gif

<------Officially a Washington ******** fan.

Is this Jordy Nelson any good. Ive never heard of him and i was extra pissed we went for a receiver that wasnt Desean Jackson. I hope this guy is good

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Is this Jordy Nelson any good. Ive never heard of him and i was extra pissed we went for a receiver that wasnt Desean Jackson. I hope this guy is good
I like this pick more and more after i look at this kid...

6'3" 217 4.49-4.51 40
122 Rec 1600 yds 11 TD's in his Senior year alone

He went to K State and WALKED ON as a DB and played there until he was a Junior i think, then as a Senior he became the weapon to stop if you wanted to beat KState...

Hes a big guy with soft hands and good speed for his size.
Ted Thompson seems to know what hes doing when it comes to drafting WR's so im gonna run with this pick like its the right one. Also he has talent as aKR/PR

This kid is still learning the position and has all the tools to be a solid #2 WR in the NFL... well just have to wait and see if he can put it all togetherin the pros.

Here are some good vids

Some of the catches in this vid are
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Packer fans should be happy about that Jordy pick. Dude isn't going to be the second coming of Jerry Rice but at the same time he is going to be a solidguy at the WR position.

wait #+! so the draft is starting at 7am west coast time 2morrow
tired.gif
iguess they giving yall east coast bums love since it started at 12 today for us.

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

Ted Thompson seems to know what hes doing when it comes to drafting WR's

my dude is a packers fan and he said the exact same thing word for word on my facebook. i have to agree.
...neither of us had heard of him though
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by buggzpimpin

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

If SD was gonna go in that direction, I think Reggie Smith would have been a better fit than Cason.

Agreed. Reggie Smith + a couple extra picks is more attractive to me.

you could say the same about weddle. i would say the same about buster davis (i hated that pick), especially the way the draft played out this year. i like malcolm kelly a lot and sweed wouldn't have been awful either. at this point though i trust AJ.

2004: Eli Manning (turned into Rivers + 2005 picks which he used on Merriman and Kaeding)
2005: Shawne Merriman and Luis Castillo
2006: Antonio Cromartie
2007: Buster Davis (and maybe he'll prove me wrong, we didn't see him at all last year)

Agreed on Davis, but I'll show faith and give him some time. I'm sold on Weddle though, even though we definitely got lil bow weezy'd for him, when we simply could have drafted him in the first round, and Buster in the 2nd.

Doesn't matter, I think picking up this CB will solidify our secondary for years to come. He can play nickel, little bit of safety and seamlesslyreplace Jammer when he starts to age.
Jammer
Cro
Antoine Cason
Paul Oliver
Eric Weddle
Hart
...I'm starting to really like our secondary. Even some of the very bottom depth chart guys like Gregory and Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom