NY METS 2011 POST: Jose Reyes wins National League Batting Crown

Wright can't carry a team like Pujols, but with the right crew of guys around him, he'd have no problem leading this offense into the playoffs...just as long as there's pitching, of course.

Wright was at his best when he hit behind Delgado in the 5 hole. i like David hitting behind Reyes and Pagan at the top, but if Beltran can actually show something if/when he starts the season, a lineup of:

Reyes
Pagan
Beltran
Davis
Wright
Bay
Thole
Emaus
P

could be potentially dangerous.

Wright was at his best when he hit behind Delgado in the 5 hole. i like David hitting behind Reyes and Pagan at the top, but if Beltran can actually show something if/when he starts the season, a lineup of:

Reyes
Pagan
Beltran
Davis
Wright
Bay
Thole
Emaus
P

could be potentially dangerous.

I agree with everything said about Reyes, but we will not be able to pay him Carl Crawford money.

I agree with everything said about Reyes, but we will not be able to pay him Carl Crawford money.

Sup guys, need six regulars for a FB league. Got six members of Team Yankees in there already
nerd.gif

All I want is 3 things. a 500 team. Bay and Beltran play like their former selves. And the third I already got. Byebye ollie and castillo

All I want is 3 things. a 500 team. Bay and Beltran play like their former selves. And the third I already got. Byebye ollie and castillo

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

Originally Posted by youngin33

I don't see Reyes on this team either way after this year. Best case scenario is he has a solid year which I think he will and trade him because we should be able to get a lot of talent back. As much as I've liked Reyes over the years, he makes about one play on each game where you just scratch your head although it's usually an aggressive mistake. It's also still a bonehead play for the most part. I think Bay really breaks out this year and Davis will come down to earth a little. With that said, I'm still more worried about hitting rather than pitching because our hitting always seems to underperform and our pitching has held up in recent years.

To be fair about Reyes, he's our most important player, and a top 5 SS. That is extremely hard to replace. FACT 
Also, although Wright is a great teammate and likable  guy, I don't think we'll ever win a chip w/ him as our best hitter. I hate to say it, but he doesn't seem to have it, as he SO a ton and doesn't seem like someone who can put the team on his back when needed. I hate it say it though 
ohwell.gif
 W/ that said, our future is very interesting in terms of 1-3 years now. We have a ace pitcher coming off injury.and slowly leaving his prime, while decent prospects. Realistically, do you guys see us a legit contender in the near future(w/o Reyes)? If so, why?

Ms. Sexy right btw. 
smokin.gif
Besides not being able to pay Reyes, we go as he goes, and in recent years, we have gone backwards as a team.  I understand this is not on 1 player whatsoever.  I also hate to mention 2007, but down the stretch in that year Reyes probably batted around .150 while Wright was in the .400s.  I understand it was only 17 games, and I understand that our pen blew A LOT of leads in that stretch, but it's still worth mentioning.  Reyes is playing for a huge contract next season and by all means he will be gone because the Mets will not be able to offer him a 6 or 7 year 100+ million dollar deal which multiple teams would definitely offer him.  David Wright is a consistent 30+ HR, 100+ RBI guy which is by no means going to "carry" a team like Pujols, but those guys are few and far between.  I think the only full season that Wright didn't have 30/100 was the 2009 season where the dimensions of Citi were in everybody's minds. 

I don't think we are a legitimate contender until 2013, and that's being optimistic in most circles. 

I don't see Reyes on this team either way after this year. Best case scenario is he has a solid year which I think he will and trade him because we should be able to get a lot of talent back. As much as I've liked Reyes over the years, he makes about one play on each game where you just scratch your head although it's usually an aggressive mistake. It's also still a bonehead play for the most part. I think Bay really breaks out this year and Davis will come down to earth a little. With that said, I'm still more worried about hitting rather than pitching because our hitting always seems to underperform and our pitching has held up in recent years.

To be fair about Reyes, he's our most important player, and a top 5 SS. That is extremely hard to replace. FACT 
Also, although Wright is a great teammate and likable  guy, I don't think we'll ever win a chip w/ him as our best hitter. I hate to say it, but he doesn't seem to have it, as he SO a ton and doesn't seem like someone who can put the team on his back when needed. I hate it say it though 
ohwell.gif
 W/ that said, our future is very interesting in terms of 1-3 years now. We have a ace pitcher coming off injury.and slowly leaving his prime, while decent prospects. Realistically, do you guys see us a legit contender in the near future(w/o Reyes)? If so, why?

Ms. Sexy right btw. 
smokin.gif
Besides not being able to pay Reyes, we go as he goes, and in recent years, we have gone backwards as a team.  I understand this is not on 1 player whatsoever.  I also hate to mention 2007, but down the stretch in that year Reyes probably batted around .150 while Wright was in the .400s.  I understand it was only 17 games, and I understand that our pen blew A LOT of leads in that stretch, but it's still worth mentioning.  Reyes is playing for a huge contract next season and by all means he will be gone because the Mets will not be able to offer him a 6 or 7 year 100+ million dollar deal which multiple teams would definitely offer him.  David Wright is a consistent 30+ HR, 100+ RBI guy which is by no means going to "carry" a team like Pujols, but those guys are few and far between.  I think the only full season that Wright didn't have 30/100 was the 2009 season where the dimensions of Citi were in everybody's minds. 

I don't think we are a legitimate contender until 2013, and that's being optimistic in most circles. 

I'm definitely excited. Any offseason where you get rid of Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez is a complete success.

Emaus and Ike are going to beast.

I'm definitely excited. Any offseason where you get rid of Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez is a complete success.

Emaus and Ike are going to beast.

Realistically, do you guys see us a legit contender in the near future(w/o Reyes)? If so, why?
Besides not being able to pay Reyes, we go as he goes, and in recent years, we have gone backwards as a team...I don't think we are a legitimate contender until 2013, and that's being optimistic in most circles.  
Jose Reyes is a legitimate top 5 SS and as he has gone so have the Mets in recent years. I am extremely confident that Sandy Alderson's Mets will do fine without him. His production has helped the Mets get nowhere in the grand scheme of things. Don't let low expectations cloud your vision. Let's look at where we would like to be, world champions. All of the short stops on the recent championship winning squads have supplied a lot more than just steals in their quest for those rings. At 27 he's already been up and down spending a substantial amount of time on the DL. I don't see things getting that much better than what we've seen from him as he approaches 30. Resigning him for 6-7 years at $100M+ would hurt us in the long run imo. 
I'd much rather see them start rebuilding our team with younger and better players than stick it out with fan favorites for the sake of nostalgia. I'm ready to root for a winner and I do not expect him to be the last fan favorite to get traded. If you want to get top tier talent back quickly trading away all star talent is a better way of doing it than letting them walk for nothing (depending on FA restrictions).

Look at the teams that our new GM has helped build in the past..an Athletics team that had 3 straight rookie of the year winners, 4 division titles, 3 pennants and a World Series ring..(
eek.gif
)...a Padres team that operates on a shoe string budget that was half of what we've been operating on for the last few years but they still managed to win two division titles and come very close to winning two more in recent years...It's obvious that he stays away from huge contracts that never pan out but manages to keep a young, talented and competitive roster of guys on the field. That's what I want my Mets to be. All because the team across town forgo the rebuilding process and just keep adding and adding huge contracts doesn't mean we have to. Don't forget that even they had to build a capable young core before they sprinkled in the veterans and all stars that won them those WS's in the 90's..

I think the Mets can be competitive this year and I really do expect them to only get better every year after. But, if we're in any place other than 1st or 2nd by the time the trade deadline comes I think Alderson will do what he can to shed payroll and get back younger prospects in return..Jose Reyes, Jason Bay, K-Rod? I think all these guys can get something valuable in return from a team who may be in dire needs of a piece that could help them inch ahead in a playoff race. I'm very excited to see this ball get rolling.

Realistically, do you guys see us a legit contender in the near future(w/o Reyes)? If so, why?
Besides not being able to pay Reyes, we go as he goes, and in recent years, we have gone backwards as a team...I don't think we are a legitimate contender until 2013, and that's being optimistic in most circles.  
Jose Reyes is a legitimate top 5 SS and as he has gone so have the Mets in recent years. I am extremely confident that Sandy Alderson's Mets will do fine without him. His production has helped the Mets get nowhere in the grand scheme of things. Don't let low expectations cloud your vision. Let's look at where we would like to be, world champions. All of the short stops on the recent championship winning squads have supplied a lot more than just steals in their quest for those rings. At 27 he's already been up and down spending a substantial amount of time on the DL. I don't see things getting that much better than what we've seen from him as he approaches 30. Resigning him for 6-7 years at $100M+ would hurt us in the long run imo. 
I'd much rather see them start rebuilding our team with younger and better players than stick it out with fan favorites for the sake of nostalgia. I'm ready to root for a winner and I do not expect him to be the last fan favorite to get traded. If you want to get top tier talent back quickly trading away all star talent is a better way of doing it than letting them walk for nothing (depending on FA restrictions).

Look at the teams that our new GM has helped build in the past..an Athletics team that had 3 straight rookie of the year winners, 4 division titles, 3 pennants and a World Series ring..(
eek.gif
)...a Padres team that operates on a shoe string budget that was half of what we've been operating on for the last few years but they still managed to win two division titles and come very close to winning two more in recent years...It's obvious that he stays away from huge contracts that never pan out but manages to keep a young, talented and competitive roster of guys on the field. That's what I want my Mets to be. All because the team across town forgo the rebuilding process and just keep adding and adding huge contracts doesn't mean we have to. Don't forget that even they had to build a capable young core before they sprinkled in the veterans and all stars that won them those WS's in the 90's..

I think the Mets can be competitive this year and I really do expect them to only get better every year after. But, if we're in any place other than 1st or 2nd by the time the trade deadline comes I think Alderson will do what he can to shed payroll and get back younger prospects in return..Jose Reyes, Jason Bay, K-Rod? I think all these guys can get something valuable in return from a team who may be in dire needs of a piece that could help them inch ahead in a playoff race. I'm very excited to see this ball get rolling.

Back
Top Bottom