NY METS 2011 POST: Jose Reyes wins National League Batting Crown

Bay has looked pretty awful though.
sick.gif

He doesn't even have good at bats and its frustrating.

Bay has looked pretty awful though.
sick.gif

He doesn't even have good at bats and its frustrating.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by tim teufel

We need a shopper for Jason bay.this dude has been the worst signing in met history.him and David wrong are like twins out there.both look lost and I hope both are gone mid year.
You're a typical #*%+%!+ miserable idiot Mets fan. You hate everybody on this team and only talk about how crappy everyone's doing. Why the hell do you even bother coming into this thread to spew your worthless negativity, and why the hell do you even call yourself a Mets fan you bird-brained moron?

eek.gif
 Easy there Johnny.

We could do something with this core if we got some more pitching but what's the point in waiting anymore? Do you guys not realize that we've been having this same conversation for years? Same people, same subject, every year. If Reyes can stay healthy..If David Wright would stop striking out..If the left fielder would..we should go get this guy.....and none of it ever works out. In the last ten years the only good moment we've had was what? An NLCS fail? Sandy Alderson has a history of building contenders on a budget and that's exactly what I expect to happen with the Mets. The Wilpons are in trouble financially and I fully do not expect them to keep overpaying past prime players and the will they wont they type players. At this point everyones expendable and I'll be more than happy to wave goodbye to any of these losers and welcome with open arms some younger and hungrier players.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by tim teufel

We need a shopper for Jason bay.this dude has been the worst signing in met history.him and David wrong are like twins out there.both look lost and I hope both are gone mid year.
You're a typical #*%+%!+ miserable idiot Mets fan. You hate everybody on this team and only talk about how crappy everyone's doing. Why the hell do you even bother coming into this thread to spew your worthless negativity, and why the hell do you even call yourself a Mets fan you bird-brained moron?

eek.gif
 Easy there Johnny.

We could do something with this core if we got some more pitching but what's the point in waiting anymore? Do you guys not realize that we've been having this same conversation for years? Same people, same subject, every year. If Reyes can stay healthy..If David Wright would stop striking out..If the left fielder would..we should go get this guy.....and none of it ever works out. In the last ten years the only good moment we've had was what? An NLCS fail? Sandy Alderson has a history of building contenders on a budget and that's exactly what I expect to happen with the Mets. The Wilpons are in trouble financially and I fully do not expect them to keep overpaying past prime players and the will they wont they type players. At this point everyones expendable and I'll be more than happy to wave goodbye to any of these losers and welcome with open arms some younger and hungrier players.

Thread is getting heated!!! That's what happens when you lose a lot consistently.

Murph flashing the leather tonight, don't get used to that.

Thread is getting heated!!! That's what happens when you lose a lot consistently.

Murph flashing the leather tonight, don't get used to that.

Originally Posted by AirVandal180

I honestly don't understand how the two corner infielders could collide on a play.

when Pelfrey just stands there licking his hand instead of directing the play, collisions happen.

Originally Posted by AirVandal180

I honestly don't understand how the two corner infielders could collide on a play.

when Pelfrey just stands there licking his hand instead of directing the play, collisions happen.

DENVER -- Paul DePodesta, the vice president for player development for the New York Mets, has a message for fans who clamor for the farm system's best pitching prospects to reach Citi Field this season: Don't bank on it, even after rosters expand in September.

On a day manager Terry Collins candidly assessed what remains at Triple-A in terms of starting pitching depth by saying, "I'm not sure what else is down there that can help us," DePodesta said the next wave of pitchers would advance through the system at a deliberate pace.

DePodesta was specifically referring to promising right-handers Jeurys Familia and Matt Harvey.

Familia, 21, made his Double-A debut Tuesday night for Binghamton. Harvey, the team's first-round pick out of the University of North Carolina last June, will not be far behind Familia in getting promoted to the B-Mets, although the 22-year-old Harvey had his worst professional line Tuesday night for Class A St. Lucie: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 8 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP.

"I think a September call-up for these kind of guys right now is probably unlikely, because it doesn't necessarily serve that long-term development plan, although I'll never say never," DePodesta said. "Oftentimes these guys will dictate to us what that long-term plan is in terms of whether or not we should speed it up or slow it down. But I think it's probably aggressive at this point to expect one of those guys to be up here and contributing in September."

DePodesta said it is generally beneficial to log at least 100 innings above Class A before reaching the majors, although he does not mind jumping a pitcher straight from Double-A to the majors. By that measure, Harvey has at least 100 innings to go. Familia, who tossed seven innings in his Binghamton debut, limiting New Britain to two runs (one earned), has at least 93 innings remaining.

"Everyone's stuff and experience is a little different," DePodesta said. "Some guys will move quicker than others. I think 100, 120, 150 innings above A-ball would probably never hurt anybody before really making the big league debut. Certainly the goal from our perspective isn't to get them there quick. It's when they get there to have them never come back. In order to do that, we want to make sure that they're not just ready to survive, but they're ready to be successful.

"So to answer your original question in a much shorter way: Could Matt Harvey or Jeurys Familia or any of these other guys survive right now in the big leagues straight from A-ball? Maybe. But we want them to be successful. We don't want them to just survive."

Before Tuesday's blemish, which began inauspiciously with a bunt single, walk, hit batter and grand slam, the flame-throwing Harvey had dominated Florida State League batters, compiling a 4-1 record and 1.10 ERA.

DePodesta acknowledged, albeit speaking hours before Harvey's rocky outing, that Harvey was close to following Familia to Binghamton.

"He pitched a game I think his last time out that [minor league field coordinator] Dickie Scott said was one of the best minor league performances that he's ever seen," DePodesta said. "I think he's certainly getting close. I think the Familia move probably signals to everybody -- not just within our organization, but outside our organization -- that the carousel is now open and performance can start moving some guys. We wanted everybody to get their sea legs at the start of the season, which we think they have at this point. So I think there will be more movement as we move forward.

"Familia, obviously, was in St. Lucie last year and pitched really, really well the last six weeks there. He had a terrific spring training and then carried it into the year with a dominant first five or six weeks.

"Everybody is different," DePodesta continued. "Whenever we move a player, it's going to be with his longer-term development plan in mind. As far as Matt Harvey is concerned, there are things he's doing right now that will certainly give him success in the Florida State League but may not serve his ultimate purpose of being a very good major league starter.

"That's the careful balance we try to strike in development. You want to challenge a guy enough so that he continues to develop, but at the same time you want him to be successful so that he has the confidence to continue to perform at as high a level as he can. There are some things that Matt, for instance, or even Familia for that matter, could get away with in the Florida State League that won't be quite as easy to get away with as they continue to move up."

DENVER -- Paul DePodesta, the vice president for player development for the New York Mets, has a message for fans who clamor for the farm system's best pitching prospects to reach Citi Field this season: Don't bank on it, even after rosters expand in September.

On a day manager Terry Collins candidly assessed what remains at Triple-A in terms of starting pitching depth by saying, "I'm not sure what else is down there that can help us," DePodesta said the next wave of pitchers would advance through the system at a deliberate pace.

DePodesta was specifically referring to promising right-handers Jeurys Familia and Matt Harvey.

Familia, 21, made his Double-A debut Tuesday night for Binghamton. Harvey, the team's first-round pick out of the University of North Carolina last June, will not be far behind Familia in getting promoted to the B-Mets, although the 22-year-old Harvey had his worst professional line Tuesday night for Class A St. Lucie: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 8 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP.

"I think a September call-up for these kind of guys right now is probably unlikely, because it doesn't necessarily serve that long-term development plan, although I'll never say never," DePodesta said. "Oftentimes these guys will dictate to us what that long-term plan is in terms of whether or not we should speed it up or slow it down. But I think it's probably aggressive at this point to expect one of those guys to be up here and contributing in September."

DePodesta said it is generally beneficial to log at least 100 innings above Class A before reaching the majors, although he does not mind jumping a pitcher straight from Double-A to the majors. By that measure, Harvey has at least 100 innings to go. Familia, who tossed seven innings in his Binghamton debut, limiting New Britain to two runs (one earned), has at least 93 innings remaining.

"Everyone's stuff and experience is a little different," DePodesta said. "Some guys will move quicker than others. I think 100, 120, 150 innings above A-ball would probably never hurt anybody before really making the big league debut. Certainly the goal from our perspective isn't to get them there quick. It's when they get there to have them never come back. In order to do that, we want to make sure that they're not just ready to survive, but they're ready to be successful.

"So to answer your original question in a much shorter way: Could Matt Harvey or Jeurys Familia or any of these other guys survive right now in the big leagues straight from A-ball? Maybe. But we want them to be successful. We don't want them to just survive."

Before Tuesday's blemish, which began inauspiciously with a bunt single, walk, hit batter and grand slam, the flame-throwing Harvey had dominated Florida State League batters, compiling a 4-1 record and 1.10 ERA.

DePodesta acknowledged, albeit speaking hours before Harvey's rocky outing, that Harvey was close to following Familia to Binghamton.

"He pitched a game I think his last time out that [minor league field coordinator] Dickie Scott said was one of the best minor league performances that he's ever seen," DePodesta said. "I think he's certainly getting close. I think the Familia move probably signals to everybody -- not just within our organization, but outside our organization -- that the carousel is now open and performance can start moving some guys. We wanted everybody to get their sea legs at the start of the season, which we think they have at this point. So I think there will be more movement as we move forward.

"Familia, obviously, was in St. Lucie last year and pitched really, really well the last six weeks there. He had a terrific spring training and then carried it into the year with a dominant first five or six weeks.

"Everybody is different," DePodesta continued. "Whenever we move a player, it's going to be with his longer-term development plan in mind. As far as Matt Harvey is concerned, there are things he's doing right now that will certainly give him success in the Florida State League but may not serve his ultimate purpose of being a very good major league starter.

"That's the careful balance we try to strike in development. You want to challenge a guy enough so that he continues to develop, but at the same time you want him to be successful so that he has the confidence to continue to perform at as high a level as he can. There are some things that Matt, for instance, or even Familia for that matter, could get away with in the Florida State League that won't be quite as easy to get away with as they continue to move up."

^^^ He should be, he'll be 23 by then.
With that said, what type of pitchers are Harvey and Familia projected to be?
Third, Fourth options, or they have shots to be aces?

^^^ He should be, he'll be 23 by then.
With that said, what type of pitchers are Harvey and Familia projected to be?
Third, Fourth options, or they have shots to be aces?

its funny, i read an article during the day yesterday comparing some of Harveys skill set to Roy Halladay. then while i was watching the game last night, they showed his line in St Lucie with the 8 runs including the grand slam. jinx?
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

kid does look good. he's a horse with a power arm. hopefully he can fine tune everything and be ready to dominate by next summer the earliest.

and hopefully Mejia can come back from TJ better than ever.

its funny, i read an article during the day yesterday comparing some of Harveys skill set to Roy Halladay. then while i was watching the game last night, they showed his line in St Lucie with the 8 runs including the grand slam. jinx?
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

kid does look good. he's a horse with a power arm. hopefully he can fine tune everything and be ready to dominate by next summer the earliest.

and hopefully Mejia can come back from TJ better than ever.

Harvey will be an ace if he stays healthy, and Familia will be very very good if he develops some major league control.

Harvey will be an ace if he stays healthy, and Familia will be very very good if he develops some major league control.

I thougt Harvey was projected to be more like a Pelf, but seems like he has better stuff than Pelf based on some other reports. Pelf has looked good lately though, if only he can stay consistent!!!

Back
Top Bottom