NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Thinking about buying my first gun, for home protection. Don't even know where to start...from the little research I've done so far, I should look for a full size 9mm. Any other suggestions?
A shotgun is inexpensive and very effective with buckshot (great literal bang for your buck), but a pistol is going to be the easiest to maneuver in a home, and in general easier for a beginner to handle (IMO). If you have the $$$, get both, if you don't, start with the 9mm and add the shotgun later.

As far as choosing your first pistol:
Yep, it's all about what gun feels good/natural for you, which could be different than what your friend or someone on the internet likes. So your best bet is to try out different popular models to see which one works for you. Some you can tell just by holding in your hand if the ergonomics feel "good" (or not), before you even shoot. The gun shop shouldn't have a problem with you asking to handle empty guns for that reason, just be sure to point it in a safe direction (good habit even if you know it's unloaded).

Find 2-4 pistols that feel good in the hand, and then go shoot them. Like Wavy said, a lot of gun ranges will rent guns out to you for $10-20 (plus cost of ammo, which they usually will make you buy there). But that cost is well worth getting a good feel for a gun without having to straight-up buy it, first.

The best all-around handgun caliber is 9mm due to how common it is, and it's relatively cheap. It is a good balance of not too much recoil but good stopping force. I would use that as a starting point.

Last edited:
Appreciate it homies. I'll post what I end up getting. Gotta do more research first.

For home defense I'm choosing a shotgun all day.

Shooting inside will have you deaf and your vision will get all blurry too from the shock. It's not like we ever shoot indoors without hearing protection so you aren't used to it. I'm not trying to deal with that with a pistol. Only con is size but just don't get one with a super long barrel and you'll be alright.

Thinking about buying my first gun, for home protection. Don't even know where to start...from the little research I've done so far, I should look for a full size 9mm. Any other suggestions?

I agree with everyone on a shotgun. I prefer a pistol for quick access but the drawback is you might kill someone across the street or your next door neighbor if you miss.[emoji]128561[/emoji]
So yeah a shotgun for general home defense especially if you are a beginner.

I agree with everyone on a shotgun. I prefer a pistol for quick access but the drawback is you might kill someone across the street or your next door neighbor if you miss.[emoji]128561[/emoji]
So yeah a shotgun for general home defense especially if you are a beginner.
Hollowpoints (aka JHP) help avoid overpenetration (through walls, etc), and should be a pistol shooter's defensive ammo of choice for a variety of reasons (see link): http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/25/m...-the-best-defensive-ammo-for-concealed-carry/

Before the gun is trusted with your life, you should run enough of a given model of ammo through your gun to feel comfortable that it will feed reliably, as the geometries of some hollowpoints can feed poorly with certain models of guns. (It's not a bad idea to test out any ammo/gun combination.) Ball ammo (aka Full Metal Jacket, or FMJ) is cheaper and is just fine for range use.

A pistol and a shotgun are both good for home defense, if used properly. What you decide to use depends on what you feel most comfortable using with minimal thinking involved in the heat of the moment. I may prefer a pistol, but a shotgun might work better for you.

Last edited:
If you use a pistol for home defense you can get. I think the name is guard dog or something like that they come in a blue box and are designed for home use and are made so if they hit walls that they shouldn't over penetrate. I'll see if I can find the article that I read about it.

just put the vortex strikefire on it, she's almost done

Turned in my app Friday for my conceal carry permit hope it goes thru I'm excited

Therrs a rumor sayin all applicants are on hold cuz hillary and her team have a plan drawn up to disarm us, I've been waiting for mine for 3 months, it could just be a rumor to boost sales tho.

Therrs a rumor sayin all applicants are on hold cuz hillary and her team have a plan drawn up to disarm us, I've been waiting for mine for 3 months, it could just be a rumor to boost sales tho.
I haven't heard that one yet lol person told me it take a month

Turned in my app Friday for my conceal carry permit hope it goes thru I'm excited
Theres a rumor sayin all applicants are on hold cuz hillary and her team have a plan drawn up to disarm us, I've been waiting for mine for 3 months, it could just be a rumor to boost sales tho.
I'd be skeptical of her having any power like that until January.

However, I'm planning on getting purchases done before the election in Nov simply due to the fact demand (and probably prices) will likely skyrocket when Hillary is elected, and probably leading to ammo shortages again like we saw with Pres. Obama (the most successful firearms salesman in history). Notice I said WHEN she is elected, not if. No, I don't like Hillary (hell no), but I really don't see any other outcome of this election. Trump is a lifelong friend of the Clintons, and I think he's just been playing the fool to make people vote for "not Trump" to guarantee a win for Hillary.

I think the left realizes that it is nearly impossible to take guns out of the hands of citizens in this country (except for when state of emergencies are called, like Katrina, etc). Instead, they will most likely tax the **** out of ammo to choke off our supply... so stock up. Even if that never happens (hopefully not), ammo is good for decades if you store it properly.

Last edited:

I'd be skeptical of any president disarming the country.
Agreed. I really really doubt that would ever happen. What I do think could happen is what I described above: applying economic pressure so that gun use is no longer financially do-able.

Last edited:
New pickup from lasT week. Sig Sauer P220 in .45acp. Just turned 21 not too long ago and decided to celebrate my new freedom the American way. First Sig I've owned and This thing is incredible. I've always been more of a rifle/shotgun guy but I really like this gun. It has fed literally every brand of ammo the WalMart I work at carries with no issues. And its super easy to conceal. even with the green dot on it, I can still carry it on my waistband with no discomfort. I can definitely see myself dabbling in the world of double action's more in the future.

Last edited:

ANYONE OWN THIS? IM THINKING ABOUT BUYING SOON AND WOULD LIKE TO READ OPINIONS :smile:

I own one. Great handgun. If you need a smaller handgun this is a solid choice. If concealabilty is not a factor consider the glock 19. I have larger hands and really like being able to have a full grip on the firearm. I actually have a pinky extender on the mag I carry which makes a world of difference to me.

Back
Top Bottom