NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

:smile:

Wicked Weed sold out...SMH

And for bottle openers, check out Yopeners https://www.etsy.com/shop/YOpeners

Made from barrel staves. Father and son combo. Son has down syndrome so this is something he and his son make together. Pretty cool story and works great. Doesnt bend caps. Has wax cutter

I had no idea that WW was basically started by the founders of Proactiv.. Smart money play from the beginning. They suckered everyone for years into thinking they were "in it for the cause". Expanding that fast in 4 years requires millions (and not just bank loans). Reminds me of Cigar City.. I know a few local breweries who didnt exactly get started off BROKE and are doing very well.

It's all business when it comes down to it.

Wish me luck as I go on a multi week cleanse. I want to see how many lbs I drop by simply not drinking beer. And yes, its for real. Im committed this time :D

Last edited:
I dont necessarily blame Wicked Weed, it would be hard to turn down a pay day like that, but AB-InBev is so damn shady and condescending. Buying AB-Inbev products is bad for the craft beer industry. They are the opposite of what the craft community is all about.

Re: Wicked Weed (which really bummed me out)...this was posted on Facebook by one of the best beer stores around me here in Colorado. And knowing these guys, I'm sure it's not a joke at all.

Re: Wicked Weed (which really bummed me out)...this was posted on Facebook by one of the best beer stores around me here in Colorado. And knowing these guys, I'm sure it's not a joke at all.

Jester King in Austin was selling their beers but announced they were no longer selling them and pulled out of their collaboration.

Jester King in Austin was selling their beers but announced they were no longer selling them and pulled out of their collaboration.

Yep...nice to see Jester King sticking to their principles. They walk it like they talk it for sure.

And I'm sure Wicked Weed won't be invited back to Crooked Stave's annual What The Funk Invitational Fest during GABF week here in Denver again either.

Black Project Spontaneous & Wild Ales here in Denver (who are beyond world class both in the beers they brew and as people) not only backed out of two collabs with them (one aging in their facility and one aging at Wicked Weed)...and pulled out of WW's Funkatorium fest too.

Yea I have a feeling a lot of these microbreweries really just exist so that they can be bought out. St Archer was one of them. All of the investors were celebs who had no hand in actually brewing or coming up with ideas for beers.

Rare Barrel just pulled out of their collaboration with WW and has stopped selling their beers.

Nine big craft beer bars/restaurants in and around Denver have all announced they will no longer sell WW either, including Falling Rock Tap House (which is on every Best Beer Bar in America list...and is frankly really overrated IMO).

One even said they had two kegs on tap when the announcement came out, and if you came in and said you wanted a glass of "Wicked Bud Weed" they'd give you one for free just so they can get rid of it as fast as possible.

Lagunitas how 100% owned by Heineken.
The chips keep falling. Seems like these sales happen in bunches.

Great weekend for beer in NY.  Hit up Other Half yesterday and Sand City this morning. The verdicts are in:

DDH Cheddar.  7.9%, hopped with Citra, Ekuanot (Equinox), Kohatu, and Wai-iti.  This beer was pretty Equinox-heavy before, and the double dry-hopping doesn't help.  Equinox isn't my favorite hop, but it works really well as a supporting character to add some bitterness. This has a little too much.  On the bright side, this beer was canned on 05/04, so it has some time to mellow. Tasty, but DDH Broccoli and Cheddar Broccoli were superior.

Ain't Nothing Nice.  6.2%, hopped with Simcoe, Mosaic, and Galaxy.  Single IPAs are always appreciated in my world.  This one is a stark contrast from DDH Cheddar. Much more rounded.  Hop bombs have their place, but this one is so nicely balanced.  Heady Topper was the first IPA I fell in love with, and it was because of its distinct bready note from the malts.  I'm getting a lot of that in this one.  Didn't expect to like this as much as I did.

DDH Green Down to the Socks.  8.2%, hopped with Mosaic, Motueka, XJA, and Cascade.  Love the can art on this one.  XJA adds a really unique flavor to the beer that I can't quite put my finger on.  Somewhat spicy/stone-fruity?  I don't know...don't listen to me.  Either way, it's different but very enjoyable.  

Sand City Radical ONE.  8.2% hopped with Galaxy and Motueka.  This is easily my favorite series of beers, and this one doesn't disappoint.  Huge orange/peach notes on this.  My only gripe is that some of the ONE beers have a bit of a flavor that reminds me of a chewable Tylenol.  It's minimal and doesn't detract much from the beer, but it's enough for me to notice.  Hopefully this flavor mellows over time, because this is a banger otherwise.  

Sand City Oops! I Nelsoned My Pants!.  7% and hopped exclusively with Nelson Sauvin.  Haven't had too many Nelson-forward beers as of late, so I was looking forward to this.  Didn't disappoint.  Huge white grape and citrus notes on this.  Reminds me of a scaled down version of Power of ONE.  This is one of Sand City's superior offerings.  

Next weekend is gonna be an even bigger weekend for beer in NY.  Three Other Half Collabs (one of which is a triple dry-hopped version of No Layups) and Pile of Crowns from LIC Beer Project.  Thank god I'm off from school until the end of the month.  I'm gonna have some work to do. 
laugh.gif

^I would be down to trade a magnetic tape for radical one in line at other half on Saturday

Totally forget I put this in the freezer, only meant to leave it there for a minute

^I would be down to trade a magnetic tape for radical one in line at other half on Saturday

Totally forget I put this in the freezer, only meant to leave it there for a minute
Ouch.  Did this on Saturday night with a DDH Hop Showers.  I was surprised the can didn't start to bulge.  

But yeah I'd be down to trade.  PM me if you wanna talk about it further.

Just read that AB INBEV has stopped the sale of all remaining South African hops to all indepenedent breweries.

Basically what used to be owned by Sab Miller was excess hops and excess hop contracts to pretty much all American small breweries. But since AB INBEV bought SAB Miller, they pretty much said, screw that noise. So all walks of life, from Modern Times to Alvarado Street brewery are stating their displeasure.

Pretty much, AB INBEV wants to hoard the specialty hops that used to be sold on the secondary market.

There is now NO secondary market for anyone.. Everything goes to the High End brands of AB INBEV.... Which means, the flavorful aroma hops will go exclusively to the AB INBEV owned "craft" breweries" as the other guys pay excessively for the same hop varieties... How can one honestly compete paying some 2x on the same type of IPA brewed by Wicked Weed or local brewery XYZ.

Last edited:
Went to Arkansas last week for a wedding and was able to try quite a few different Beers from Lost Forty Brewing :smokin

Back
Top Bottom