Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2DS, 3DS, NINTENDO, WII U

SAKURAI IS WORKING ON SMASH BROS HITBOXES AND DAMAGE RATES ALL BY HIMSELF

NOVEMBER 21, 2013 SICKR 81 COMMENTS

Famed Smash Bros creator Masahiro Sakurai has explained to Polygon that he has personally been entering in all the data for fighter skills and hitboxes for the forthcoming entry on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. Sakurai says he has tried giving this task to other people on the team, but he doesn’t feel it has always worked out. Sakurai clearly says that he doesn’t want to ship an incomplete game so it ultimately results in a huge workload for himself.

“In all previous Smash Bros. games, I’ve entered in all the data for fighter skills and hitboxes by myself, and it’s quite nearly that way with this game too. I’ve thought about leaving this work to others and I’ve actually tried it once or twice, but it hasn’t worked out. I don’t want to release an incomplete game, and I want everything to be as successful as possible, but it results in a massive amount of work for me. It’s a big problem, but there are reasons for doing it this way. Characters’ in-game balance and features are something that I’m thinking about from the start while coming up with motions. If I left that to someone else midway, that’d make things more difficult. It’s faster and more accurate to just input the numbers myself than try to explain it in words to somebody.”

NINTENDO, WII U

REGGIE BELIEVES SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD, SMASH BROS, MARIO KART WILL BE TOP TEN SELLING GAMES ACROSS PLATFORMS THIS GEN

NOVEMBER 22, 2013 SICKR 27 COMMENTS

Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime is supremely confident about the forthcoming Wii U software lineup. Reggie even went as far to say that he personally believes Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart will be in the top ten selling games across all platforms this generation. During the interview on GameTrailers, Reggie also announced that the company may have something special to share at this year’s VGX awards in December.

Only a ignorant "dudebro" or moron would ever under-estimate Nintendo EAD. What else did you expect from them? Of course SM3DW is GoTY material. Everything they make is golden. Every 3D game up to this date is still using lessons SM64 laid out in the 1996. 

Only a ignorant "dudebro" or moron would ever under-estimate Nintendo EAD. What else did you expect from them? Of course SM3DW is GoTY material. Everything they make is golden. Every 3D game up to this date is still using lessons SM64 laid out in the 1996. 

Nintendo can't top Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I've been hesitant to face reality. Trust me I'm a nintenerd

Nintendo can't top Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I've been hesitant to face reality. Trust me I'm a nintenerd
And before that, nobody every thought Nintendo could top SM64. It still stands as the most revolutionary game of all time, but SMG was still extraordinary. Unless, you've played SM3DW to completion your opinion doesn't mean anything. 

so far both zelda and mario are amazing

only complaint is that i didnt get the physical game with the 3DS XL bundle and had to download it when i got home

And before that, nobody every thought Nintendo could top SM64. It still stands as the most revolutionary game of all time, but SMG was still extraordinary. Unless, you've played SM3DW to completion your opinion doesn't mean anything. 

But Super Mario 64 wasn't even the best game of that era, that went to ocarina of time. So to say it was the most revolutionary game ever when super Mario sunshine was better in every aspect compared to Mario 64 just not as well received is just a tad bit reachy but I completely understand what you were saying. I own 3d land for the 3ds and knew what to expect but was just sick of the multiplayer Mario adventures. (The new super Mario bros series burnt me out). I admit I do have to try it before paying judgement but I'm just so used to Mario games being the big standouts on Nintendo systems. This one not so much. Mario Kart 8 and smash bros will fix that

I read that Reggie is gonna be @ the Spike VGX. Wonder if he'll have anything to show off.

With the audience that the award show is targeted towards, I hope its something about Bayonetta or maybe even X.

But Super Mario 64 wasn't even the best game of that era, that went to ocarina of time. So to say it was the most revolutionary game ever when super Mario sunshine was better in every aspect compared to Mario 64 just not as well received is just a tad bit reachy but I completely understand what you were saying. I own 3d land for the 3ds and knew what to expect but was just sick of the multiplayer Mario adventures. (The new super Mario bros series burnt me out). I admit I do have to try it before paying judgement but I'm just so used to Mario games being the big standouts on Nintendo systems. This one not so much. Mario Kart 8 and smash bros will fix that
Wow.... It's clear to everyone in the industry that SM64 is the most important video game of all time. How can Ocarina of Time be better when it's just a re-skinning of SM64? Every single 3D game released after it till this day took something from it. I can pull quotes from the Houser brothers, Gabe Newell, etc. They all say the same thing... The fact that you think Super Mario Sunshine is better than SM64 says it all and I love Sunshine but it was a hot mess of a game.  Nothing wrong with having an opinion but you have to realize when you're out of bounds. 

"Still my favourite game of all time. I still have vivid memories of all the different levels. The control is still pretty much unrivalled. It convinced me that games were art."     -Gabe Newell

In an interview with The New York TimesRockstar Games  head writer and VP of creativity Dan Houser, when asked about influence from other games stated, "Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they’ve not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda [on the Nintendo 64] is lying.

Warren Spector, former lead designer at Ion Storm, stated it was "not possible to squeeze this much gameplay into a single game" and "no game has done a better job of showing goals before they can be attained, allowing players to make a plan and execute on it". He also praised the exploration aspect of the game, commenting that "[allowing players to] explore the same spaces several times while revealing something new each time is a revelation"

Last edited:
Wow.... It's clear to everyone in the industry that SM64 is the most important video game of all time. How can Ocarina of Time be better when it's just a re-skinning of SM64? Every single 3D game released after it till this day took something from it. I can pull quotes from the Houser brothers, Gabe Newell, etc. They all say the same thing... The fact that you think Super Mario Sunshine is better than SM64 says it all and I love Sunshine but it was a hot mess of a game.  Nothing wrong with having an opinion but you have to realize when you're out of bounds. 

"Still my favourite game of all time. I still have vivid memories of all the different levels. The control is still pretty much unrivalled. It convinced me that games were art."     -Gabe Newell

In an interview with 
The New York Times
Rockstar Games
 head writer and VP of creativity Dan Houser
, when asked about influence from other games stated, "Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they’ve not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda [on the Nintendo 64] is lying.

Warren Spector
, former lead designer at Ion Storm
, stated it was "not possible to squeeze this much gameplay into a single game" and "no game has done a better job of showing goals before they can be attained, allowing players to make a plan and execute on it". He also praised the exploration aspect of the game, commenting that "[allowing players to] explore the same spaces several times while revealing something new each time is a revelation"

I clearly understand the impact SM64 had on the world of gaming, 3d polygons, platforming and everything in between. It was the first game I got for the 64 for my birthday of '96 and still to this day I can dust off the my 64 and pop that cartridge in but Mario 64 is placed on too high of a pedestal in Nintendo's catalogue. Yes it's one of the greatest games ever hands down but I would say Super Mario Bros is more influential than Super Mario 64...and what made sunshine a "hot mess of a game" all the reviewers complained about camera (that plagues every 3d Mario game) and the abscense of mushroom kingdom. Other than that it capitalized on every aspect of the game and was leaps and bounds better than 64. As it should've been, it was on a more powerful system.

Well my little brother let his friend borrow the Brawl disc and its broken, no Project M for me.

Back
Top Bottom