NikeTalk Fantasy Basketball Challenge - CONGRATS TO NT-SHIRT WINNER: TheGift23

Are you guys seeing teams that are already tanking in the 2nd week of the season in your respective divisions? Like if they don't even start their playersanymore or anything...

Just go to the league's homepage and click on "managers"... This should pop up.

8awdf9h.jpg

As you can see, we have a couple of teams who haven't been active for the past couple of days. The first team listed and the 2nd to last team listedhaven't been active ofr a couple of days. I didn't post their team names for obvious reasons, but my question to you guys who are in differentleagues... Are you guys seeing teams that are already tanking in the 2nd week of the season in your respective divisions?

I'm pretty sure SoarinLikeJordan23 is not active. I think his team could of been doing good if he was active.

Yeah i hate those non active teams... i'm in 4th place trying to make something happen while some of these guys got 5 NA players AND all-stars riding thebench... it's ridiculous
laugh.gif

I've seen a few. I think the autodraft took the air out of a lot of people's sails. Some people quit before the league even started. It sucks, butautodraft is horrible, I can't say I blame them completely. Autodraft is a decent compromise but it's far from a solution, even if you rerank players,you still don't know who drafted who before you.

^ You don't need to know who drafted before you.

If you think that Jason Kidd is better than Steve Nash, rank Nash below Kidd.

if you think Posey is better than Antoine Walker, then rank him before Antoine Walker.

haha sactown is ur avy that one dude who makes all them noises when doin drills, that @$%+ had be laughing i forgot dudes name

back to the subject i need D WADE back and the stupid auto draft i got elton brand stuck on my team...and daivd lee isnt doin what he sohld be doin and nownice carters injured
smh.gif

I understand that part. But anyone who's done a live draft before knows that when you compile a team you often draft someone ranked lower because there isa run on a certain position and you know you can get another position later.

Let's say I have Rashard Lewis ranked higher than Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Kirk Hinrich. But all of a sudden the people before me start drafting PGs.Paul is gone, Williams is gone, if I don't draft Hinrich I might get stuck with someone like Mo Williams as my starting PG. So I take Hinrich knowing thatI can get Rashard or someone comparable in the next round. It happens all the time.

Or let's say I have a center-heavy strategy so I rank all my centers high in the hopes of getting two or three top-tiered centers. But a few other peopledo the same and ranks all their centers high. Ordinarily if someone else took the centers I wanted I would maybe switch my strategy and go PG heavy and try towin assists, steals, threes or maybe I would just try to have a balanced team across the board.

Like I said, autodraft is a good compromise but it can't take the place of a live draft because there are so many variables that happen in the course of adraft. Everyone's prerankings will affect my own, only it's too late to make adjustments. I understand why we did it this way this year because a livedraft would take forever. But we are seeing that the people who are dropping out probably just gave up after seeing their rosters, because in a huge league, ifyou don't have a decent roster it is impossible to make up for it on the waiver wire.

It's just a suggestion we might want to revist next year, a live draft might be really long but if we are investing several months it might be an addedincentive to participate in the draft. And even if you are unable, then you can still prerank your players.

^ It's not that the live draft would be really long. It's that it would be really, REALLY, STUPID long.

And... the odds of getting 20 people together at the same time for a draft is very unlikely. So if we have 20 people in a league (like we do), and we get 14 ofthose people to agree on a time, but the other 6 just simply have other plans, and we couldn't work out a time when all 20 people could be at theircomputer for 7 hours, then... what? Those 6 people are just S.O.L.

So with a live draft, you have 14 people that are fortunate to have the time to waste to be there for an entire draft and 6 people that simply have otherthings to do (read: have lives). With an autodraft, everyone is on the same plane. Even if that plane sucks, it's the same plane for everyone.

I'm okay with the autopick draft because, like ska said, everybody is on the same plane. Plus if you took the time to set up your pre-rank list, your teamshouldnt be too bad.

It's pretty much a moot point arguing it right now but I think the fact that there a bunch of people abandoning their teams two weeks into the season meansthat rethinking the autodraft format warrants consideration for next season. The disparity between the top tier and the bottom tier is really really huge andit's unlikely that the bottom teams will be watching their teams because, quite frankly, it's near impossible for them to come back. And you just knowthose guys will say at the end of the year, "Oh autodraft sucks, you guys got lucky." And I can't say I disagree with them completely (Mind youmy team is still near the top spot overall).

Whereas if we drafted live, those that participated have no one to blame but themselves. Not to mention teams would be more even, and people will take morepride in their team because they picked their players themselves.

Will it be stupid long? Probably, but I've drafted in 14 team leagues and it came in about an hour. I don't think it's unreasonable for people toput aside two hours of their time when you consider the research that SHOULD go into preranking players and then following stats and combing the waiver wireover a six month season. People who "have lives" find time for those aspects of fantasy season, but wouldn't do the same for the draft? In fact,I would argue that a two-two and a half hour draft is not only quite reasonable, it's really fun. In all of my leagues it's always the highlight of theseason and I would love to sit in the draft room and talk basketball/trash with other NTers.

But you are right, it's impossible to get 20 guys to agree on a time, it's impossible to get ten guys to agree on a time. I don't think the meritsof autodraft are bad, I just think they make a fine replacement for those that can't show up to a draft. Everyone won't be on an even playing field butthen again, if you look at the teams this year, teams definitely aren't on an even playing field right now and that's with autodraft. Just something tothink about.

^ Sure, those that participated have no one to blame but themselves.

But what of those that couldn't? In a live draft, those that couldn't be there for the draft would take up the bottom of every one of our divisionsright now, and I'm thoroughly convinced that the point difference between the top and bottom would be the same, if not worst. If I couldn't make thedraft and I just got my roster autodrafted for me, but you got to select your best players for your every pick in the draft, you're at a CLEAR advantageover me. So all of the top people would be people that picked, and all of the bottom people would be people that couldn't.

So in the end, there would still be a huge problem to address, and that problem would be a huge difference in points between the top and bottom.

I understand that part. But anyone who's done a live draft before knows that when you compile a team you often draft someone ranked lower because there is a run on a certain position and you know you can get another position later.
that wass my whole issue with autodraft.

I think to alleviate the problem of a lengthy draft, it coulda been, starting 5 + 1 utility player and 3 bench players. that would dramatically cut a livedraft time in half. and with that, u would at least have some decent players still available if there are injuries and such. right now, if anyone onsomeone's team gets hurt, U can just forget about finding a viable replacement.
just my two cents.

If I couldn't make the draft and I just got my roster autodrafted for me, but you got to select your best players for your every pick in the draft, you're at a CLEAR advantage over me. So all of the top people would be people that picked, and all of the bottom people would be people that couldn't.
I have to disagree here. The same concept of autodraft holds true in a live draft (rankings of players, etc) it's just you don't get tosee the trends taking place. But that takes place in a league-wide autodraft ANYWAYS. If more people in your league had a center-heavy strategy with autodraft,the PG-heavy preranker has a distinct advantage. In that sense, leagues are being determined by trends.

Not to mention that autodrafting in a live draft does not screw you for the season. I have been in multiple leagues where the autodrafter has one of the morecompetitive teams and has won the league several times. They just miss the fun of the live draft.

I think a live draft could have been done... but it would take a whole lot of work to get it organized. But let's say we had a leagues that people signedup for that fit their schedule and if they missed that draft, it's on them for committing to that draft time and missing it. But like I said earlier, itwould have to take a lot of work and organization to get that whole thing done.

With that said... The auto draft was cool with me. I have no problem with it. It's just that no-name NTers were signing up for the leagues and they got inwhen the likes of Rawsheed, Nowitness41Dirk, and others who are S&Tregulars didn't even get an invitation to join the leagues... even if they signed up. IMO, S&T regulars are more likely to stay active with theirfantasy teams than those no-name NTers who got invitations to the leagues.

live draft wouldve been better. no way woud i draft marc blount:lol:

anyways, do i have to buy this stattracker thing just to see live stats now?? wack:smh:

^ I bought StatTracker thinking it was going to be like baseball's version of StatTracker.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed in my purchase.

Yea, Paul, I bought stat tracker for NBA last yr and I was sooooo MAD. You might as well just follow your players via nba box scores. cuz its basically thesame thing.

Stat tracker is only worth the doe for baseball. that stat tracker is Awesome !

i look up my stat on the box scores

and with the live draft auto draft. i think it shoulda been live cuz if u werent able to make or just didnt want to to it you can still do ur pre rankings likewe had to do anyway.

^ That's already been covered.

Instead of having some people have the luxury of being able to attend the draft with others having to do pre-draft rankings, we chose to have EVERYONE dopre-draft rankings, so everyone is on the same playing field.

So how're the standings in the other leagues?

Niketalk Atlantic

1. Mighty Kites (me) 2052.80 231.75
2. Brooklyn High (first loser) 2034.80 227.95
3. da gr8est (second loser) 2015.80 208.90

Midwest Division

[table][tr][td]1.[/td] [td]RyGuy45[/td] [td]http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/57908/13[/td] [td]2194.55[/td] [td]178.45[/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.[/td] [td]FlintGrey[/td] [td]http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/57908/10[/td] [td]2164.80[/td] [td]271.40[/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.[/td] [td]Lamar Ownsem[/td] [td][/td] [td]2139.20[/td] [td]271.65[/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]4.[/td] [td]N.S.T.[/td] [td]http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/57908/9[/td] [td]2112.40[/td] [td]243.60[/td] [/tr][/table]
Sorry had to include myself.
laugh.gif

It was nice (for lack of a better term) of T-Mac to take a hit last night so now we all have a chance against one Detlef Schremf. I figured Paul would beall over that by now.

Originally Posted by gko2408

So how're the standings in the other leagues?

Niketalk Atlantic

1. Mighty Kites (me) 2052.80 231.75
2. Brooklyn High (first loser) 2034.80 227.95
3. da gr8est (second loser) 2015.80 208.90

Back
Top Bottom