Nike Air Jordan 4 Retro "White/Cement" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

I actually kept them in great condition.  All of my jordan's used to develop a hole by the heel (on the inside).  8-10 months later I would return them to the store and they would give me the new Jordan as a replacement.  I painted my WC4s black, so couldn't return those, but returned my 5s for free 6s, and then had the Bo Jackson Trainer SC, and returned those for the 7s.  7s didn't wear out b/c of the neoprene, so had to buy the 8s ;-).

I actually kept them in great condition.  All of my jordan's used to develop a hole by the heel (on the inside).  8-10 months later I would return them to the store and they would give me the new Jordan as a replacement.  I painted my WC4s black, so couldn't return those, but returned my 5s for free 6s, and then had the Bo Jackson Trainer SC, and returned those for the 7s.  7s didn't wear out b/c of the neoprene, so had to buy the 8s ;-).

This was due to defect or wear and tear? Retail stores were ok to replaced? Just curious?

Best method for me to keep the shoes in good shape is by rotation.

Last edited:
This was due to defect or wear and tear? Retail stores were ok to replaced? Just curious?

Best method for me to keep the shoes in good shape is by rotation.
In those days, as a teenager spending $150 (in Canada) for a pair of shoes, I positioned it as a defect, stating that they shouldn't wear out in "only" 10 months of daily use...heh.  I usually had to speak with the store manager, and while some would raise their eyebrows at me, they always acquiesced.  I don't know if current shoes wear out like that, or if the materials are better nowadays b/c I don't wear them like a teenager.  I don't think I could get away with that argument now; I'd be laughed out of the store!

In those days, as a teenager spending $150 (in Canada) for a pair of shoes, I positioned it as a defect, stating that they shouldn't wear out in "only" 10 months of daily use...heh.  I usually had to speak with the store manager, and while some would raise their eyebrows at me, they always acquiesced.  I don't know if current shoes wear out like that, or if the materials are better nowadays b/c I don't wear them like a teenager.  I don't think I could get away with that argument now; I'd be laughed out of the store!

[emoji]128077[/emoji]

One pair per school year.

Haven't thought about that in a MINUTE.

I think that's partially how I got into taking care of them AND wearing them as a routine. Because I was desperate to keep them nice knowing I wouldn't get another fly pair if I ruined them.

Haha yep. I was lucky to get 2 pair per year. 1 pair for back to school and and the next pair was around Christmas during the break.

Respect... curious though, with how significant these are to you, wondering why you didnt scoop em in 99? Just other priorities with the fam?[/quote]

To add with the old vs young I always wonder if I would like J's if the man himself was not attach to the shoes. Also to have the most expensive item(shoes,cars etc) is always what some people want. These ain't cheap and the WC 4 is a brilliant design and timeless.

That's a good question.  To be honest, I wasn't into basketball at the time of first seeing these shoes.  It was that one time of the year to get my next shoe, and I went to a local Champs to buy whatever I liked that they had available.  I was attracted to the design.  I LOVED visible air.  The first time I saw it was on the Air Trainer III (navy/white) (originally the Air Trainer SC).  I loved the tech of Air and all of the plastic.  I didn't get that AT3 at the time b/c they didn't have my size and I didn't want to trouble my mom to drive to a diff store, so I settled for the AT TW, and regretted it ever since.  For me the AJ4 was very much like that with the visible air and the plastic wings and back tab; just loved it.  It didn't really kick in for me until later that it was a Jordan shoe and how awesome he was; that just added to the shoe's appeal for me.

i.e. For me it was, and remained about the look of the shoe.  I LOVED the 5 and 6 following the 4 (never really encountered the 3 at the time).  Wasn't crazy about the 7, and the 8 was just OK, but where I really started to lose interest.  I stopped buying Jordan's until my first retro in 2013.  I would check out the new Jordan models each year in the store and thought they were so ugly (yes, even the 11!).  I was more about the dressier look of Cole Haans with visible air b/c I loved the comfort and tech of Air, and figured I had grown out of wearing sneakers on a daily basis.

Now I buy them for nostalgia and the designs and colorways that I like, and don't care what people think (ex. Older people shouldn't wear Jordans).  I love certain OGs, but appreciate the new colorways as well; not all, but buy the ones I like.

I hopped of J's as well when they dipped the Vis-Air. That was the allure of the kicks to me off jump and why IV-VI are my wheelhouse.

I jumped on runners for years until I saw someone w/a fresh pair of Black'Inf VI's and realized Retros were a thing.

Now I buy them for nostalgia and the designs and colorways that I like, and don't care what people think (ex. Older people shouldn't wear Jordans).  I love certain OGs, but appreciate the new colorways as well; not all, but buy the ones I like.

This .. I'm 40+ and still like rocking my 11s.

:nthat:

Last edited:
That's a good question.  To be honest, I wasn't into basketball at the time of first seeing these shoes.  It was that one time of the year to get my next shoe, and I went to a local Champs to buy whatever I liked that they had available.  I was attracted to the design.  I LOVED visible air.  The first time I saw it was on the Air Trainer III (navy/white) (originally the Air Trainer SC).  I loved the tech of Air and all of the plastic.  I didn't get that AT3 at the time b/c they didn't have my size and I didn't want to trouble my mom to drive to a diff store, so I settled for the AT TW, and regretted it ever since.  For me the AJ4 was very much like that with the visible air and the plastic wings and back tab; just loved it.  It didn't really kick in for me until later that it was a Jordan shoe and how awesome he was; that just added to the shoe's appeal for me.

i.e. For me it was, and remained about the look of the shoe.  I LOVED the 5 and 6 following the 4 (never really encountered the 3 at the time).  Wasn't crazy about the 7, and the 8 was just OK, but where I really started to lose interest.  I stopped buying Jordan's until my first retro in 2013.  I would check out the new Jordan models each year in the store and thought they were so ugly (yes, even the 11!).  I was more about the dressier look of Cole Haans with visible air b/c I loved the comfort and tech of Air, and figured I had grown out of wearing sneakers on a daily basis.

This is how I got started wearing Jordan's. My mom would take me to the store and pick out whatever I wanted. I always gravitated towards Jordan's. I wouldn't even notice they were Jordan's until I got home or someone pointed it out to me. I like the zoom bubble as well. Remember grabbing the CB 34's that year because of the half zoom bubble. Didn't realize they were Barkleys until I noticed the "Sir Charles" on the bottom of the shoes. I can see why kids rock J's without having watched him play. The 3's are a beautiful design and a timeless model imo

First pair of jays as a kid were my Military Blue 4s.  Had to get them after watching MJ in action and destroying the Knicks as well lol.  Second pair of jays were my Black infrared 6s... dont think I got jordans after that for a LONGGGG time lol

I got the Charcoal 9's in 1994 and didn't own another pair of J's until 2015.

I had no interest until then, but I'm selective about which retro J's I purchase.

Anything over the 13's is a no-go for me.

I got the Charcoal 9's in 1994 and didn't own another pair of J's until 2015.
I had no interest until then, but I'm selective about which retro J's I purchase.
Anything over the 13's is a no-go for me.

14s really. I don't like 13s that much though.

Yeah the air bubble sold me back then, thats why i hate 9 - 11...12 cool.......never thought 1 - 4 were all that.....6 are my favorites even though i wouldn't wear them now.

Off topic but almost cried today at work lol. After 17 years of lite wear thought I was good
When I wore my NA V's to the first day of Univ, they were talking by lunch.

I had been wearing them back to back for months, and after taking a 2 week break, they went kaput.

Get something to swap em out.

Last edited:
Restock at the remodeled House of Hoops/Puma location at Parks Mall Arlington. Just snagged my size FINALLY....also had some laser 4's. I'd hurry if you're close because the kids were starting to sniff em out lol

Restock at the remodeled House of Hoops/Puma location at Parks Mall Arlington. Just snagged my size FINALLY....also had some laser 4's. I'd hurry if you're close because the kids were starting to sniff em out lol

Good lookin' out! They restocked the Cement 4's at the Jumpman23 store when it reopened as apart of the newly remodeled Footaction. The Parks Mall is becoming the sneaker capital of DFW if it isn't already.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom