Nicolas Cage owes 6 mill in taxes

People.com Reports

People.com Reports

How could one of Hollywood's highest paid actors find himself owing $6.3 million in back taxes and deep in moneytroubles? The answer is easy if you believe Nicolas Cage.

In a lawsuit filed Oct. 16 in Los Angeles, the National Treasure star, 45, claims that his longtime business manager,Samuel J. Levin, duped "lined his [own] pockets with several million dollars in business management fees while sending Cage downa path toward financial ruin."

That journey began in 2001 when Cage - whose next movie is the crime drama Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - hired Levin to overseeand manage his business interests, investments and finances. Levin did not return calls seeking comment. A rep for Cage had no comment.

On The Market
Though Cage claims it was only recently that he learned the gravity of his financial condition, the actor started selling off some of his prized possessionsmonths ago. In April, Cage bid farewell to his Bavarian castle, selling it to his German advisor, lawyer KonradWilfurth.

Now he has placed other homes on the market in California, Las Vegas and New Orleans, where two of his residences - each worth at about $3.5 million - are upfor auction Nov. 12, according to the that city's Times-Picayune. Regions Bank foreclosed on Hancock Park Real Estate Co., the owner of Cage'sproperties, for $5.5 million in unpaid mortgage debts, the newspaper reported.

Tax Trouble
Cage's home liquidation comes as earlier this month the U.S. government placed a tax lien on his vast real-estate holdings because of $6million in unpaid taxes dating from 2007, according to court papers. In addition, the Internal Revenue Service has another lien for more than$350,000 in unpaid taxes dating from 2002 to 2004.

East West Bank also filed a breach-of-contract complaint in Los Angeles Superior Court that claims Cage had failed to repay a$2 million loan that was extended this past August.

In the lawsuit filed against his business manager, Cage says he "relied on Levin to handle his financial affairs to ensure that he and his family wouldhave a financially secure future built on the foundation of the substantial monies Cage earned through years of hard work."

But "he is now forced to sell major assets and investments at a significant loss and is faced with huge tax liabilities because of Levin'sincompetence, misrepresentations and recklessness." (Interestingly, Cage sold off his rare comic-book collection in 2002 for more than $1.6 million, ayear after hiring Levin.)

Now as the actor gets ready to hit the big screen again this fall, he faces "catastrophic losses" in upwards of $20million. The next court hearing in the lawsuit is scheduled for February 2010.

nerd.gif
DAAAMN

People be doing celebs dirty.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Am I supposed to feel bad for the guy?

Not at all, actually im not even a fan of any of his movies really but its crazy that an A list actor can face such financial trouble.

taxes ftl

Originally Posted by trak1sh

Not at all, actually im not even a fan of any of his movies really but its crazy that an A list actor can face such financial trouble.

taxes financial mismanagement ftl

i would think 6 mill would be sitting in his bank account
didnt know nick didnt have that type of liquidity

celebrities are dumb as %%%%
they don't know how to do #*+!, they just act like they do

he's been in atleast 30 movies...how he manages to even get a job in hollywood with his horrible acting is beyond me. he is gawd awful

Originally Posted by trak1sh

taxes ftl

nick cages acting FTL

Funny and I was watching National Treasure last night on NBC, I'd bet he wished he was that character in real life
laugh.gif

Well since he is a celeb I guess they will slap his hands and he will go start making more goofy movies about things around him being lost and he has to findor the world destroying itself and he has to convince everybody why...but never a romance
laugh.gif
oh well I have my own bills I have to worry about let alone a celeb

What's 6.3 to nic cage though? If he was one of these stuntin $+* rappers, he'd pay it in cash today, film it, and be broke again wednesday
laugh.gif
. Butnoooooooo, the people with ACTUAL long money are always the thriftiest. Prolly got caught tryna sneak around the red tape...

So basically its our government requesting damages from recent Nicholas Cage films:

Next
Bangkok Dangerous
The ending to the Knowing
Ghost Rider
The Weather Man
G-Force
Windtalkers
World Trade Center
and Amos and Andrew

I never understood why ppl would give up control of their finances to someone.. sure..hire someone for advice...but at the end of the day..keep yourself incontrol.

crazy

Dirtylicious wrote:
I never understood why ppl would give up control of their finances to someone.. sure..hire someone for advice...but at the end of the day..keep yourself in control.

crazy
I completely agree.

All the movies this dude's been in you'd think he'd be ballin out of control... Where did all the money go???
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom