NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

I was at the game last night, moved up in the 7th and got kicked out in the top of the 9th...I don't think Jayson Werth like my Jennifer Utley chant
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I was at the game last night, moved up in the 7th and got kicked out in the top of the 9th...I don't think Jayson Werth like my Jennifer Utley chant
ohwell.gif

roll.gif
   i did the same as you, moved from the 500 section to section 114 in the 2nd inning.  rainy weather ftw.

i wonder how many times the mets have stranded a runner on 3rd with 0 outs this year though

lol @ Jennifer Utley.

This lineup can't hit vs anyone, at least not since the break.

If its not a shutout we struggle to score 2 runs.
sick.gif

From MetsBlog:
According to the Mets, Francisco Rodriguez has a torn ligament in his right thumb.

Rodriguez did not travel with the team to Houston, as he underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery which revealed the tear, and surgery has been recommended.

If that’s the case, presumably, Rodriguez’s season is over. This whole situation is just a sorry state of affairs…

A team spokesperson says Rodriguez injured his hand in the altercation he had last Wednesday.

Just in case you were wondering, Francisco Rodriguez has a $17.5 million option for 2012 which automatically vests if he finishes 55 games in 2011 AND he finishes 100 games between 2010 and 2011.

roll.gif

# 1 His step father must've said something to piss him the hell off.
sick.gif

# 2 Its a step father, so I understand.
laugh.gif

# 3... torn ligament though
indifferent.gif
who's going to close now, Parnell?

He obviously has anger management issues, not everyone is perfect.

Not excusing him, just sayin' we all have our issues and he could have a shaky relationship with dude and he got on his nerve and snapped.

But with that said you can't be doin' that !%$*, you're a professional. :ohwell:

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

K-Rod's contract should absolutely be voided... but this is the Mets, they will most likely $@*! this up.

Player's Union is not having that.  They have taken the right steps in this situation so far. 

I'm so tired from staying up late for last nights game, glad to see a road series win for a change.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I'm so tired from staying up late for last nights game, glad to see a road series win for a change.

i felt the same way you felt til i realized it was a 4 game series and they play again tonite.  hopefully they finally get that ellusive 3rd or 4th road series win of the year tonite though

Some damn good pitching since the break....Reyes and Pagan have been some of the few bright spots.

David always gets his hits in bunches, then slumps just as bad as Piazza used to at times.
sick.gif

Tron will start to hit but his lateral movement just doesn't look close to being what it used to be.

At least I'm not a Pirates fan, damn they have it rough (and so much history there too, its a shame).

[h1]NY Times article:
[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1][/h1]
[h1]Decision on Minaya Will Be Telling for Mets[/h1]
19kepner-articleLarge.jpg

Barton Silverman/The New York Times

The Mets’ chief operating officer, Jeff Wilpon, left, could always decide after the season that he needs to replace Manager Jerry Manuel, center, and General Manager Omar Minaya.

http:///www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/08/19/sports/JPKEPNER.html">http://www.nytimes.com/im.../19/spo...=600,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resizable=yes')">Enlarge This Image
http:///www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/08/19/sports/JPKEPNER.html">http://www.nytimes.com/im.../19/spo...=600,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,resizable=yes')">
JPKEPNER-articleInline.jpg

[h6]Lenny Ignelzi/Associated Press[/h6]
The executive Kevin Towers could be a good fit for the Mets.

Now they are getting tough with Francisco Rodriguez, putting to the test the old saying that you can’t fire the players. That is an admirable stance, but it may not work, and the chief operating officer, Jeff Wilpon, could always decide after the season that he needs to change something else significant. If that means General Manager Omar Minaya and Manager Jerry Manuel, it would not be a shock.

For now, the Rodriguez debacle says a lot about the Mets’ operations and their state of mind. After Rodriguez, their $11.5 million closer, was arrested on assault charges for allegedly pummeling his children’s grandfather in the face at Citi Field, the Mets first gave him a two-day punishment negotiated with the union. Only when they learned that Rodriguez had injured himself did the Mets go off on their own, essentially attempting to void his contract and preparing for inevitable wrangling with the union.

Were they late to express the outrage Rodriguez’s behavior demanded? Of course. Are they claiming the high ground now because they have a chance to save money? Maybe, though the Mets surely know this will be a tough case to win.

But it was the right course of action, especially if there is a chance Rodriguez could return as a diminished pitcher because of a reckless off-field incident. Why should the Mets be forced to pay him anymore if a self-inflicted injury changes what he has become?

It seems like a logical argument, but logic does not always apply with the union, which for years opposed steroid testing, even at the expense of fair play. In any case, another question in all this is whether signing Rodriguez was the right gamble in the first place. That will reflect on the record of Minaya, whose contract runs through 2012.

Rodriguez was coming off a career year with the Angels in 2008 when he received $37 million over three years from the Mets. He has performed fairly well, although many teams have found comparable closers for far less money (like Heath Bell, Matt Capps, Leo Nunez and Joakim Soria), and anyway, the equation has changed. Rodriguez’s contract now stands as one of several examples of the Mets getting less than what they paid for.

Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez have been colossal disappointments that could have been predicted. Jason Bay’s disappearance — just six home runs before his concussion — was harder to forecast. Carlos Beltran made four All-Star teams in his first five years, but now, at 33, he looks like a shell of himself because of injury.

Johan Santana has been an ace for the Mets, who lost no significant players to acquire him. The Mets could not have known that he, too, would embarrass them with an off-field indiscretion in Florida last fall.

So Minaya has a mixed track record with the Wilpon family’s money. His first two first-round draft choices, Mike Pelfrey and Ike Davis, have been stellar, and so have later draft choices like Jon Niese and Josh Thole. He has let go of useful pitchers — like Bell, Mike Adams, Brian Bannister and Jason Vargas — but found others cheaply, like R. A. Dickey, Pedro Feliciano, Elmer Dessens and Hisanori Takahashi.

In this way, Minaya is not much different from most general managers. Theo Epstein has won two titles with Boston and smartly built a perennial contender. But he has also signed Matt Clement, Julio Lugo and Mike Cameron while giving away Bronson Arroyo in a trade.

Similar examples abound all over: the Philadelphia Phillies’ former general manager, Pat Gillick, overvalued Adam Eaton; the Tampa Bay Rays’ Andrew Friedman blundered with Pat Burrell; the YankeesBrian Cashman sank $46 million into Kei Igawa.

Wilpon has said little about Minaya and Manuel, and at this point he seems likely to wait until the end of the season to determine their futures. Manuel is in the last year of his contract, and the Mets have little invested in him.

The Minaya decision will say a lot more.

Wilpon will have choices. Gillick is 73 years old, but he has never formally retired and has an unmatched winning pedigree, most recently with the Mets’ division rival in Philadelphia.

And Kevin Towers, who constructed the guts of the San Diego Padres — the best team in the National League — is working for the Yankees as a special assistant to Cashman.

Towers is a close friend of Minaya, and as former minor league players with extensive scouting experience, they have similar backgrounds. Towers has built winning teams in an extreme pitchers’ ballpark on a much tighter budget than the Mets’. He is also personable, like Minaya, and deft with the news media.

But it would be sad, in a way, if Minaya is dismissed. He had nothing to do with so much of the mess at Citi Field, and he would probably leave the team in much better shape than most people realize — kind of like the Padres, who fired Towers at the end of last season and have discovered he was

not so bad, after all.

Its just so hard to watch whenever Santana pitches and the Mets offense never does s!@# 
mad.gif

Another complete game...but a loss. Sigh. Put Johan on a winning team he'd be a top 3 Cy Young contender year in and year out. The Met offense stay ruining this mans stats LOL

And Barajas to dodgers for cash? He definitely helped us in the beginning of the season, but I think the Mets are doing the right thing to let Thole play out the rest of the season and look into 2011.

Back
Top Bottom