NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

The Mets aren't going with Carlos Beltran as a part of their outfield next year. His days are over. And Rasmus isn't going to be moved. A player that young and with his talent isn't going to get traded.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Red Sox take Carlos Beltran off our hands next year.

Beltran will be traded before mid-season, watch.

I'd rather have Pagan playing the outfield as well.

Only positives from this year has been our pitching, and all the young guys contributing in their own ways. thole has come a long way even though he is just a singles hitter, but he has good discipline.

We had good mojo before "some" guys came back and ruined the flow of things.

I would do Mejia, Beltran, and Castillo for Grenkie and Dejesus no problem.
If Pujols wants someone gone they shall be gone. J. Bay would be great there

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Tim McCarvey talking out of his %%# again. I guess he doesn't know that Jerry likes to have the starter hand it off to the reliever when he's throwing a gem.

I too thought his comments were reaching. Like yo is it that serious?

Originally Posted by CDonWasHisName

I would do Mejia, Beltran, and Castillo for Grenkie and Dejesus no problem.
If Pujols wants someone gone they shall be gone. J. Bay would be great there
A deal for Greinke is going to cost you Pelfrey. They're going to want someone that could come in there and fills Zack's void.

Well, well, well... the quest for .500 is looking good.

Dickey on the mound =
pimp.gif

In other news:
NEW YORK -- Mets closer Francisco Rodriguezviolated a restraining order by sending dozens of text messages to hisgirlfriend in the weeks after he was accused of assaulting her fatheroutside a family lounge at Citi Field and will face additional charges,prosecutors said Tuesday.

[h4]Sampling of Rodriguez's Texts[/h4]
5357.jpg

FranciscoRodriguez allegedly sent 56 texts to the mother of his children betweenAug. 19 and Sept. 7, violating an order of protection. Prosecutorsreleased some of those messages Tuesday. Texts

Rodriguez appeared for a routine hearingin Queens Criminal Court on third-degree assault and harassmentcharges, and will face additional charges of criminal contempt forsending the messages.

Authorities said Rodriguez sent hisgirlfriend 56 text messages from Aug. 19 to Sept. 7 apologizing andurging a resolution. They said he'll now be charged with criminalcontempt.

A spokesman for the District Attorney's office saidRodriguez will be arrested and rearraigned on the new charges sometimebefore his next court appearance, which is scheduled for Oct. 7.

Oneof the texts to Daian Pena, Rodriguez's girlfriend and mother of hischildren, read: "let's find a solution to this conflict. I understand Imade a mistake perhaps the biggest mistake of my life but I love you."

More texts: "your parents are manipulating you like a marianette [sic]" and "your parents have what they have because of me."

Pena never responded to the messages.

Prosecutorsrequested that Rodriguez be remanded but Judge Robert Raciti denied theprosecution's motion. Raciti warned Rodriguez that he would honor it ifhe tried to communicate again with Pena.

Prosecutors say Rodriguez left the country and went to Venezuela on Aug. 30. He sent 19 messages after Aug. 30.

ChristopherBooth, Rodriguez's attorney, seemed to question why there would be anorder of protection for Pena when he said in court, "She was not thevictim in this case."

Of the text messages, Booth noted "thereare no threats, there are no menacing comments. He professes his lovefor the mother of his children."

Booth was pleased with the judge's decision after prosecutors tried to have his client put in jail.

"That's what they tried to do," Booth said after the court hearing. "And we successfully kept him out of there."

Boothsaid his client was unclear that he wasn't supposed to try and resolvethe conflict with Pena alone, and that he was told of the problem andcorrected it. He said he set up a meeting to see his children -- whosebirthday is Tuesday -- through the attorneys.

Rodriguez, who didnot speak in court, was dressed in a red T-shirt and blue jeans. He didnot comment while walking from the courthouse to a parking lot twoblocks away. He left in a black Toyota Sequoia with Booth and anunidentified woman, who also accompanied Rodriguez in the courtroom.

The28-year-old reliever was accused of grabbing 53-year-old Carlos Pena,hauling him into a tunnel near the family lounge beneath the team's newballpark and hitting him in the face. Pena was taken to a hospital witha scrape and swelling above his eyebrow, and Rodriguez was held byauthorities.

After he was restricted without pay for two days,the four-time All-Star known as K-Rod was booed when he returned to themound, and he gave a lengthy apology to fans after that game. But hetore a ligament in the thumb of his pitching hand during thealtercation and had to have surgery. He didn't play again.

There was no cast or wrap on his hand Tuesday.

Rodriguez is 4-2 with 25 saves and a 2.24 ERA this season.

"Becausethis is a pending criminal matter, we refer all questions to thedistrict attorney's office," the Mets said in a statement.

Said Mets third baseman David Wright:"Obviously, it's not a good situation for anybody. But people makemistakes. He understands he's got to pay the consequences of hismistake."

The Mets have said Rodriguez won't be paid while on thedisqualified list and they would exercise a contractual right toconvert the rest of his $37 million, three-year deal to nonguaranteed,meaning they could try to avoid paying most of what's left on it.

Bygoing on the disqualified list, Rodriguez will lose $3 million of his$11.5 million salary this year. When adding the money lost during thetwo-day restriction, the altercation already has cost him about $3.1million.

In addition, by converting his contract tononguaranteed, the Mets gave themselves the ability to releaseRodriguez in the early part of spring training next year for 30 days'termination pay.

The players' union filed a grievance against theMets and the commissioner's office protesting how the team has handledthe Rodriguez case. The Major League Baseball Players Associationchallenged the decision to place the right-handed closer on thedisqualified list and the Mets' effort to convert his contract.

Ifthe case isn't settled, arbitrator Shyam Das would decide whether theteam's actions were justified. The case is still pending.

Rodriguez signed the contract with the Mets after saving a record 62 games with the Angels in 2008.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Well, well, well... the quest for .500 is looking good.

Dickey on the mound =
pimp.gif

In other news:
NEW YORK -- Mets closer Francisco Rodriguezviolated a restraining order by sending dozens of text messages to hisgirlfriend in the weeks after he was accused of assaulting her fatheroutside a family lounge at Citi Field and will face additional charges,prosecutors said Tuesday.

[h4]Sampling of Rodriguez's Texts[/h4]
5357.jpg

FranciscoRodriguez allegedly sent 56 texts to the mother of his children betweenAug. 19 and Sept. 7, violating an order of protection. Prosecutorsreleased some of those messages Tuesday. Texts

Rodriguez appeared for a routine hearingin Queens Criminal Court on third-degree assault and harassmentcharges, and will face additional charges of criminal contempt forsending the messages.

Authorities said Rodriguez sent hisgirlfriend 56 text messages from Aug. 19 to Sept. 7 apologizing andurging a resolution. They said he'll now be charged with criminalcontempt.

A spokesman for the District Attorney's office saidRodriguez will be arrested and rearraigned on the new charges sometimebefore his next court appearance, which is scheduled for Oct. 7.

Oneof the texts to Daian Pena, Rodriguez's girlfriend and mother of hischildren, read: "let's find a solution to this conflict. I understand Imade a mistake perhaps the biggest mistake of my life but I love you."

More texts: "your parents are manipulating you like a marianette [sic]" and "your parents have what they have because of me."

Pena never responded to the messages.

Prosecutorsrequested that Rodriguez be remanded but Judge Robert Raciti denied theprosecution's motion. Raciti warned Rodriguez that he would honor it ifhe tried to communicate again with Pena.

Prosecutors say Rodriguez left the country and went to Venezuela on Aug. 30. He sent 19 messages after Aug. 30.

ChristopherBooth, Rodriguez's attorney, seemed to question why there would be anorder of protection for Pena when he said in court, "She was not thevictim in this case."

Of the text messages, Booth noted "thereare no threats, there are no menacing comments. He professes his lovefor the mother of his children."

Booth was pleased with the judge's decision after prosecutors tried to have his client put in jail.

"That's what they tried to do," Booth said after the court hearing. "And we successfully kept him out of there."

Boothsaid his client was unclear that he wasn't supposed to try and resolvethe conflict with Pena alone, and that he was told of the problem andcorrected it. He said he set up a meeting to see his children -- whosebirthday is Tuesday -- through the attorneys.

Rodriguez, who didnot speak in court, was dressed in a red T-shirt and blue jeans. He didnot comment while walking from the courthouse to a parking lot twoblocks away. He left in a black Toyota Sequoia with Booth and anunidentified woman, who also accompanied Rodriguez in the courtroom.

The28-year-old reliever was accused of grabbing 53-year-old Carlos Pena,hauling him into a tunnel near the family lounge beneath the team's newballpark and hitting him in the face. Pena was taken to a hospital witha scrape and swelling above his eyebrow, and Rodriguez was held byauthorities.

After he was restricted without pay for two days,the four-time All-Star known as K-Rod was booed when he returned to themound, and he gave a lengthy apology to fans after that game. But hetore a ligament in the thumb of his pitching hand during thealtercation and had to have surgery. He didn't play again.

There was no cast or wrap on his hand Tuesday.

Rodriguez is 4-2 with 25 saves and a 2.24 ERA this season.

"Becausethis is a pending criminal matter, we refer all questions to thedistrict attorney's office," the Mets said in a statement.

Said Mets third baseman David Wright:"Obviously, it's not a good situation for anybody. But people makemistakes. He understands he's got to pay the consequences of hismistake."

The Mets have said Rodriguez won't be paid while on thedisqualified list and they would exercise a contractual right toconvert the rest of his $37 million, three-year deal to nonguaranteed,meaning they could try to avoid paying most of what's left on it.

Bygoing on the disqualified list, Rodriguez will lose $3 million of his$11.5 million salary this year. When adding the money lost during thetwo-day restriction, the altercation already has cost him about $3.1million.

In addition, by converting his contract tononguaranteed, the Mets gave themselves the ability to releaseRodriguez in the early part of spring training next year for 30 days'termination pay.

The players' union filed a grievance against theMets and the commissioner's office protesting how the team has handledthe Rodriguez case. The Major League Baseball Players Associationchallenged the decision to place the right-handed closer on thedisqualified list and the Mets' effort to convert his contract.

Ifthe case isn't settled, arbitrator Shyam Das would decide whether theteam's actions were justified. The case is still pending.

Rodriguez signed the contract with the Mets after saving a record 62 games with the Angels in 2008.

As a Mets fan I'm angry at the dude and cant believe he has such horrible decision making.
As a man I feel for the dude. He has a legitimate point. He put clothes on his in-laws backs. Everyone makes mistakes. Every guy has been in the position where they have done 99/100 things right for a person and someone (usually a female) focuses on the one. But lets leave that discussion for General.

As for S&T I will SMH if he is on our team next year. Takahashi (sp?) can easily develop into the closer role and Feliciano is a good set up man. 

All this talk about trading Wright, Reyes, Beltran, K-Rod, etc. has got me thinking. What are the odds that the Mets could trade K-Rod to the Reds and get back Yonder Alonso or Jay Bruce? The odds are probably really low since one of them is probably going to play LF next year, but it's worth a shot. Whoever takes over is going to have to swing a deal with K-Rod to get back a major leaguer, whether it be middle of the rotation starter, or someone that can play everyday.

Also, what do you guys think about trading Beltran and a prospect or two to the Red Sox for either Lackey or Dice-K, if they would like to get away from both of those contracts and make a run at Cliff Lee or that Japanese kid?

Red Sox would be the only team who would want Beltran, esp if he gets off to a good start next season.
Mets have new job openings.

Just get rid of the dead weights and I'm all for the youthful experience, keep getting younger and stop giving older vets high contracts.

For every negative we have a positive on this team, its about going about this the right way with some better leadership. There is no way Jerry (a scapegoat) would be here next season, someone tough minded who says it like it is will be a manager. Its the ownership I dislike but Omar will get the axe too.

Torre or Valentine?

Who ya'll want?

Bobby V = been there, done that.

Torre = "I'm curious".

pimp.gif

I'm all for Bobby V again, give this lifeless team a personality at least.

I want to try and get BJ Upton in the off-season, kid clearly needs a change of scenary.  He still has the skill set but he has fallen of horribly for some reason and we could get him for cheap I would think.  Maybe playing with his childhood friend Wright would help him out too.

You'd really take Wally over Torre?

sick.gif

I like the idea that Lupica floated. Bring in Torre and let Wally be the bench coach for 2 seasons.

I just don't see how you pass up on a multiple World Series champ for a rookie manager.

reyes has to go. lets get some young talent for him and start the rebuild process. Torre would be an idiot to come manage the mets.truthfully i dont think the manager is the issue with the mets, look at willie. lost his job cause the players had no heart led by reyes and wright. and now another will lose his job because of wright and reyes again. lets face it it didnt work out now one of them needs to go or hell even both.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

You'd really take Wally over Torre?

sick.gif

I like the idea that Lupica floated. Bring in Torre and let Wally be the bench coach for 2 seasons.

I just don't see how you pass up on a multiple World Series champ for a rookie manager.
torre is the phil jackson of baseball coaches, why would he wanna come back to coach the clippers?
laugh.gif

I agree with you tt.

Everyone swore up and down Willie was to blame. Well guess what? Manuel has done no better. So now who are you guys gonna point the finger at?

The only constant has been Minaya, Beltran, Reyes, Santana, and Wright all being on the team during this period.

Personally, I enjoy Reyes and Wright on the team. Especially since they are "home grown". So I would prefer to keep them.

But Minaya needs to go. Him co-signing knuckleheads like Bernazard & K-Rod for example, is no longer tolerable.

-------------------

As far as Torre, he has expressed interest in coming to coach the Mets.

If Phil said he wanted to come back and coach the Knicks, would you guys say "nah, we got Charlie Ward or Monty Williams waiting in the wings"?
laugh.gif

F that. If Torre wants to come coach the Mets, I can't POSSIBLY see why you guys would want to go with Bobby V AGAIN.

Or an inexperienced guy like Backman.
30t6p3b.gif

I agree but I wouldn't trade Reyes in the offseason.  I think next year is the seminal point in his career, he was coming back from injury this year, next year is make or break.  And if do decide to trade him I want to go  Marlins fire sale style and literally trading everybody including even Wright.  This core isn't winning a champonship anytime soon.

And my problem is that I just don't think a 70 year old is the guy that is needed to energize this team, especially if we do go younger.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I just don't think a 70 year old is the guy that is needed to energize this team, especially if we do go younger.
EXACTLY. Torre's just gonna wind up in another frustrating situation here in Queens. The mets are not contenders anyway you cut it and him coming here isnt going to raise the Mets offense out of the cellar. (mid 20s out of 30 teams 
sick.gif
 ) Its been apparent that the mets needed to get younger for years now but the way they sign free agents (usually one or two every off season) wasnt helping them get some of those big useless contracts off the books any quicker. As we get rid of problems we take more on and thats been the case since 2006. We have a lot of guys going into their final year next year. Hopefully they'll be going hard to get that next big contract so maybe the mets can get some value for these guys at the trade deadline. We only have 3 big contracts on the books for 2012 so hopefully they can do some shopping before that to fill in whatever gaps and put a contender on the field..
Every team that was doing worse than the mets made moves to help themselves going into next year. A lot of teams got new managers and traded away their marquee players so they could rebuild but yet this abysmal squad is still in tact. At a certain point you have to stop putting the blame on managers and gm's and start looking higher than that...

In the last two decades what do Mets fans have to be proud of? 1 Pennant ('00), 1 Division title('06) and two wild card births ('99, '00)?

Meanwhile the rest of the division has seen glory beyond a Mets fans wildest dreams:

Braves: 1 World Series title, 5 Pennants, 14 Division titles

Phillies: 1 World Series title, 3 Pennants, 4 Division titles with a 5th probably on its way..

Marlins: 2 World Series titles,  2 Pennants and 2 WC births AND THEYVE ONLY BEEN AROUND FOR 17 YEARS!

Nats: They've been in our division for only 5 years but their future is looking extremely bright with a crop of talent coming from their farm system and allstars already playing for them...

Yall tell me if I should be satisfied with some new schmuck manager..
tired.gif

Exactly why I say its on ownership. Omar is a middle of the pack GM, he has made some good moves, and some questionable ones.....but all GM's do that. The talent is there, they just need to continue to get younger (which they actually have been doing the past few seasons), have a mix of strong veteran leadership, and a manager that won't take any nonsense. Addition by subtraction at this point.

Let TRON go on a tear next year and trade him at the deadline and get some value (I'm sure a team like Boston would love him), continue to develop our young pitchers, and go from there. Ike/Thole/tejad/Wright/Reyes is an infield I can live with, we just need some more speed and a manager who hits and runs a lot more often, not afraid to squeeze, 1st to 3rd always....just aggressive/fundamental baseball (which they were doing to start the season). I can't see a guy like Bay not playing well next season either, this dumb field takes a lot of adjusting to, especially for Wright/Reyes who hit a lot of balls to right field where there is a dumb MO-ZONE out there.
indifferent.gif

I'd love to see Santana/Neise/Mejia/Pelf continue to make up the rotation. Dickey would be a solid guy in the rotation, especially if someone gets hurt.....we need to add that reliable top tier pitcher, unless one of the young guys can become that.
As for trading Wright/Reyes.......David is going to be here for the long haul and he will break most Mets records when his time is done here. Its easy to put blame on them, but those two guys are excellent players that need to remain here, the cause of the problems here is the environment around our good players and that starts with ownership and their loser wimp mentality. David is a career .300 hitter and is driving in runs on this anemic offensive lineup (except with a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs of course), but thats due to the pressure put on himself since he is the only guy who can knock them in. Reyes is a top-quality SS when healthy, but its difficult to wait on him all the time to play fully healthy, next season could be make or break. If he's healthy, he is a beast, when he is hurt here and there, the team spirals downward with him. It's tough.

Back
Top Bottom