NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

More batting practice served up by Perez. 2 HRs in the 1st inning. Dude just !++%$!# sucks, what a waste of money. I swear to God they should just cut him and realize signing him was a big mistake.

Ollie's mechanics seem to be good and he is actually fully healthy, you have to give him a chance once the season rolls around you can't just go by ST stats.

But at this point you don't really have a choice, just hope for the best.

News: Mets Claim Manny Acosta From Braves

March 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm ·

by Michael Baron

According to SNY, the Mets have claimed RHP Manny Acosta off of waivers from the Braves.

Acosta has a lifetime 5-7 record with a 3.55 ERA in 103 games over the last three seasons with Atlanta, and last year, in 26 relief appearances, Acosta was 1-1 with a 4.34 ERA in 37 1/3 innings, allowing 45 hits 18 earned runs, 19 walks, and 32 strikeouts.

Acosta has been added to the 40-man roster, and will be optioned to Triple-A Buffalo.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Ollie's mechanics seem to be good and he is actually fully healthy, you have to give him a chance once the season rolls around you can't just go by ST stats.

But at this point you don't really have a choice, just hope for the best.

News: Mets Claim Manny Acosta From Braves

March 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm ·

by Michael Baron

According to SNY, the Mets have claimed RHP Manny Acosta off of waivers from the Braves.

Acosta has a lifetime 5-7 record with a 3.55 ERA in 103 games over the last three seasons with Atlanta, and last year, in 26 relief appearances, Acosta was 1-1 with a 4.34 ERA in 37 1/3 innings, allowing 45 hits 18 earned runs, 19 walks, and 32 strikeouts.

Acosta has been added to the 40-man roster, and will be optioned to Triple-A Buffalo.

Ahh, yes.  He came into camp in "great shape".  He actually looks the part now.  Ollie could've spent the entire offseason loading up on HGH and Adderall...I still wouldn't put any faith in him.  Fool Omar once...

At this point, I've seen enough of his body of work to realize you just cannot count on him, he's a headcase that just isn't a reliable pitcher in any sense.  I wish I was just basing it off of his spring stats and being unrealistic...dude is no better than a 4 ERA mediocre pitcher who has no business getting $12m/year and if I want to see my team contend, it'd have to be without him on the roster.  Good stuff at times, but there are a TON of pitchers like that.  Most of them are minor leaguers.

^ At this point we just have to see if Ollie gets his act together or not, he is going to be on the team but if he stinks it up you know we have other guys like Nelson to replace him (who is at least a more serviceable pitcher at times). One thing I noticed is that his "mechanics are good" but has no life on the fastball....maybe that's because he needs to throw like a madman to get any life period.
laugh.gif
I'm not expecting anything out of him, you just have to hope Pelf has the season he had two years ago, Neise will emerge (which he should start doing), and Maine can stay healthy. The offense to me is fine (esp when Beltran/Reyes get back).

Some good news:

[h2]http://www.metsblog.com/2010/04/01/news-additional-changes-to-citi-field-in-2010/[/h2]
[h2]
[/h2]

April 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm · 24 comments

by Michael Baron

Today, the Mets announced additional changes at Citi Field for the 2010 season.
  • The Mets will display a game day starting lineup above the escalators inside the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.
  • On each side of the Field Level, vintage baseball cards of Cleon Jones, Dave Kingman, and Robin Ventura will be on display.
  • Blue Smoke, Big Apple Brews and Box Frites will open additional locations on the Promenade Food Court.
  • The 1969 and 1986 World Championship teams will be celebrated in the Champions Club, formerly known as the Ebbets Club, with the first base side honoring the 1986 season and the third base side honoring the 1969 season.
  • The VIP entrances will be renamed – the first base entrance will be called “Hodges VIP

I like Murphy, but I really want Adrian Gonzalez on the Mets roster.

Who wouldn't want Gonzalez over Murphy? Or Jacobs, Carter, Davis?

Maine looked decent enough today, especially since he supposedly was puking before and during the game...you could tell he wasn't feeling right after the first few innings. His last two starts have been more encouraging.

I'm not gonna say anymore about Ollie other than I'd rather see Figgy out there instead, but we've got who we got at this point. I guess he changed his arm angle this offseason? How do we feel about Warthen?

Not too concerned with the offense if/once it's healthy. We haven't looked too great defensively though and I think that's being nice about it.

I know. I mean, I want Adrian Gonzalez on the Mets roster right now.

Tell you the truth, I think Oliver is overrated. I truly hope he proves me wrong one day, but I doubt it anyway. I never like Maine. I don't know why. Ugh, it's just John Maine. LoL. Warthen isn't a great pitching coach. He's just okay. I wish we had Dave Duncan.

People who are optimistic about this season are going to have a rude awakening. This squad is a disaster waiting to happen. When Santana is the only guy you aren't worried about on the stafff, and he's been getting killed in spring training, there's a problem.

Who cares about Spring Training stats though, in that case Santana will have a poor season, Murph is gonna hit .100, Ollie and Maine will have 7 ERA's. Yeah you want to see some positives going in b/c of the injury #!$# last year but you shouldn't have high expectations to begin with.

why even bother watching if you expect a disaster?

2010 is a gap year, but they will still be competitive and I'd like to see how the newer guys mesh and follow the young guys in the minors (maybe some will even be called up).

x2_fdbc32_small.jpg

Recap: Jerry Manuel on Bullpen, Tejada and Murphy

April 1, 2010 at 10:56 pm · 2 comments

by Matthew Cerrone

Jerry Manuel talked to reporters today in St. Lucie, and, according to SNY producer Matt Dunn, he essentially said:

* There is still a competition going on in camp for the bullpen.
* He likes Ruben Tejada’s instincts. He feels the team needs someone else on the roster who can play shortstop, during Jose Reyes’s absence. Frank Catalanotto and Fernando Tatis do not qualify.
* He feels comfortable and confident in Hisanori Takahashi.
* Ryota Igarashi is still getting in to shape.
* Raul Valdes is ‘interesting,’ and ‘impressive,’ and he has put himself in a good position.
* Daniel Murphy looked better today, than he did when leaving the clubhouse the day before

I have no doubts about Santana, a guy like that I can ignore Spring stats. OTHER guys...it's too hard to brush off terrible stats when they haven't shown any improvement either and instead it's the same old issues.

At the moment, we have Wright and Bay. Eventually, we'll get Reyes and Beltran.
Castillo sucks, I don't care about his batting average. Francouer/Pagan/Matthews Jr can all be decent enough. Murphy, if healthy, can be pretty solid...he hadn't looked good at the plate in a while but, of course, it seemed like he was a getting a little more comfortable prior to getting hurt. Catcher? I don't know, we've got Blanco/Barajas/Santos. Ehhh.

Hopefully we can at least score some runs when Johan's on the hill this year.

Give me Carter and Catalanotto > Jacobs. Takahashi will probably be in the rotation after Ollie gets knocked around after his first four starts. I'm liking this Raul Valdes kid. Hopefully we could work out a deal or something to get him to be a part of this organization regardless if he makes the major league roster or not.

Even though I might have low expectations for this season, I'm pretty geeked for opening day.

I don't know what to think about some of the roster moves.  I know it might be because Manuel and Minaya are fighting for their jobs, but I don't think it's a good idea to start Mejia in the pen, seems like Igarashi is only on the 25 man roster because of the contract he signed, Sean Green is garbage, I think Figgy should be on the club, etc.

I don't get why Pagan isn't starting in center, and Jacobs shouldn't be starting he is all or nothing.

Jerseys look SWEET with the blue hats.

Back
Top Bottom