[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

Was upset about jerry leaving johan there but it all worked out

The stadium is great tonight even those phillies fans here

Uh-oh... That is always the 1st sign of a manager losing his team.
laugh.gif

Johan straight showed Jerry up right there.
pimp.gif

Santos calls a FAR better game than Schneider.

Tana didn't have much control of his change up.

justhotkicks got his moneys worth.

Well, pleasant surprise to get out of work, hit up the gym, and have my boy call me saying he got 4 tickets to the game, section 110, 15 rows up. Rushed to hiscrib and got to the game during the 3rd inning. Absolutely great seats and the stadium was alive tonight at the end.

Johan deserved this kind of win where he gave up home run and home run, but he comes through with the bat himself and so does Church.

7 HRs at Citi? That'll be a record for quite some time.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Santos calls a FAR better game than Schneider.

Tana didn't have much control of his change up.

justhotkicks got his moneys worth.
One of the best Met games i've been to in a while. But damn, that hot sausage and smokey bacon dip for the fries is giving me heartburn
laugh.gif

just got back home.

Great Game.

Just to say though, listening to the playback with the Smooze was horrible. I feel bad for those who just listened on the radio and could not see what wasgoing on.

The Church Homerun went in the Apple, not over. Santana's catch at the mound was called a ground ball until it was noticed he caught it. Made it soun-emotional.

The inside of the Stadium was close to playoff atmosphere.

Trying to get sundays game at the stadium and will be back next week vs the rays.

Everyone knows I hate Jerry but I can't get mad at him for pulling Johan there. I'm sure Johan just got caught up in the moment. Dude had 1 hell of anight.

I did not see this article by Buster Olney here so I figured I would let you guys give it a read.

Mets must face possibility that Reyes has peaked

Saturday, June 6, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

A Jose Reyes triple exists somewhere on the list of the best things you might see at a baseball game, somewhere alongside an Albert Pujols laser and a JustinVerlander gem and a Denard Span wall-climb. Reyes hits a ball into the gap and when he realizes somewhere between first and second base that he can get threebases, his fifth gear kicks in, his feet moving impossibly fast, his hands churning at his sides.

He is incredible to watch in moments like these, and when it's all going well for him, when he's getting on base and stealing bases easily androcketing throws from the shortstop hole, he's among the most dynamic players in the game.

But here's the problem: Whether it's because of injury or slumps or mental lapses, those moments of dominance just haven't occurred consistently.Which is why the Mets' front office might start to draw on the lessons learned on the North Side of Chicago earlier this decade.

Six years ago, Mark Prior was among the 10 best things that you could see at a baseball park, with his sharp breaking ball and his command, and in 2003, he hadone of the best seasons ever for a 22-year-old pitcher, walking 50 and striking out 245 in 211.1 innings. So when Prior started to have injury problems, theCubs waited on him, and waited, believing that there would be some day when Prior would return to that same level of pre-eminence. And when some members of theCubs' organization look back on that time now, with the benefit of hindsight, they wonder if perhaps they waited just a little too long. They allowedthemselves to be held hostage, in effect, by Prior's potential.

The Mets could fall into the same pothole with Reyes, who, on his best days, can be better than almost any shortstop. He turns 26 in five days, and it'spossible he still can take his game to the next level.

But there are talent evaluators with other teams who have their doubts. They see a diminishment of range, for whatever reason, and some signs of erosion in hisdefensive play. They point out that even at its highest, Reyes' on-base percentage still falls in the range of .355 to .360, which is good but far from thelevel of an elite hitter -- and they wonder if he'll actually get better.

"I don't see a lot of evolution there," said one scout this week. "Jimmy Rollins struggled early in his career, but then he just keptgetting better and better, and I'm not really seeing that in Reyes."

Rest assured, most teams would love to have Reyes, and even if the Mets determine, internally, that Reyes will never play consistently at a higher level, thatdoesn't necessarily mean they should trade him.

But waiting for Reyes to develop into a superstar might turn out to be their search for the great white whale; there's a chance that it might never besatisfied. He might already be as good as he's going to get. Going forward, the Mets should not assume that Reyes is going to be an unmovable foundationpiece. They should not assume that they can count on greatness from him, because there have been too many periods when he has been much less than that.

Reyes remains in limbo due to a hamstring injury; the Mets really don't know when he's going to come back, Bart Hubbuch writes.

It's been a brutal week for the Mets, who found out that they had lost set-up man J.J. Putz for 10 to 12 weeks before they beat the Nationals on Fridaynight.

Reyes is still 25 turning on 26 soon, even if he doesn't get any better he will be one of the greatest to wear a Mets uniform.

He really hasn't even started his season so far with the injuries and slow start, and has always had a great avg with RISP.

Reyes is going to beast in Citi Field for the remainder of his career.

I agree with you Mez I just was posting the article for the sake of posting.

Saw it on ESPN last night trying to see if the Mets drafted anyone yet while on my phone at the game and decided to post today.

My only gripe with Reyes is that he is very very streaky, when he is off it seems like his at bats are a mess and chases horrible pitches, but when he's onhe drives everything in the gaps. The whole "hustle" ordeal is a generational thing nowadays in the whole league. I guess Buster wants to see morepower out of Reyes, but I don't know what more you can expect from the guy, he hits 300+, has a ton of triples, steals, good defense, great speed........hecan take over a game when he is on.

I WOULD like to see more leadership from him, play more hard nosed like Rollins does, and make better base running judgements though.

With Redding on the mound tomm, Pelfrey needs to come up big vs the Jonas Brother. Hope the 'Field is rockin' tonight.

Eh, I'm fine with Reyes.

I just don't look at him as an under-achiever for some reason.

He has mental locks at times. But overall, he plays hard and he's a "good" guy in the clubhouse.

Not a malcontent or a me-first, stat guy.

And he's not a media *+@#@ (like say, Barry Bonds) or a media renegade (like say, Albert Belle or Milton Bradley) or a gossip magnet (like Derek Jeter).

He comes to the park, puts his work in, and goes about his business.

The pros with Jose far outweigh the negatives imo.

And
pimp.gif
at the Mets "stringing together hits against Cole Hamels"

Back
Top Bottom