[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

David
pimp.gif

As soon as they said "he's facing a lefty", I expected a hit.
laugh.gif

- 2 Runs 2 RBI 2 Hits including a triple and a walk for Castillo today, he is playing some real good baseball and improving on his already good season. Maybesomeone will want him at the deadline if the Mets eat 1/4 or 1/2 his contract (you can probably get a prospect or mid level reliever)? Someone else who hasvalue is Pedro Feliciano.

- Nice job by Livan adjusting after that real rough 1st inning, 6 scoreless right after.

- I was already sold on Pagan, but he is def a keeper for next season.

- Franceour has 14 RBI in 12 games so far, not bad.

- Nice seeing David drive the ball to center.

Gotta agree about Castillo. If the Mets want to cut bait, now is the time with him.

I like him here for us. But he could definitely be used as a good bargaining chip in a potential trade.

Still won't get much back for him though.

Yeah you only deal him if you get someone serviceable and not some A-ball minor leaguer, Castillo has value.

I'd like to see him here but not for another 2 seasons.

Castillo's been keeping our offense rolling...but I doubt he'll be able to keep it up. I'd pull the trigger on a trade that got us salary reliefand a decent player.

And Francoeur's been a GREAT pickup...if this keeps up, it'd be a steal. I like that he's putting the ball in play at least...only 5 strikeouts in57 plate appearances. .273, 2 HR, 14 RBI. Can't complain.

Jeff Francoeur seems to be feeling comfortable as a Met. After going 0-for-9 in the first 2½ games of the second half while playing in his former home, Atlanta, Francoeur hit .387 (12-for-31) with two homers and 11 RBI the rest of the trip. Amusedly, Francoeur revealed that Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen showed him part of the Mets scouting report on him, from when the right fielder was on the opposition. "Even thought I didn't want to see it," Francoeur quipped. The gist? "0-2 when he steps in the box," Francoeur said with a laugh. By the way, Francoeur's wife Catie has found an apartment in Queens for the rest of the season where a lot of Mets players live. He plans to buy a home in the suburbs during the offseason, since he has dogs and wants space for them to roam. - Adam Rubin.

No. 13 Hot Prospect: IKE DAVIS, 1B
METS

Team: Double-A Binghamton (Eastern)
Why He's Here: .385/.467/.692 (10-for-26), 2 HR, 2 2B, 6 RBIs, 6 R, 4 BB, 4 SO
The Scoop: Davis has clubbed more home runs this season (12) and compiled a higher slugging percentage (.486) than any of the other four first-round first basemen from the '08 draft. That's a group that includes Yonder Alonso, Justin Smoak, David Cooper and Allan Dykstra. To be fair, Smoak began the year in Double-A and has moved up to Triple-A, unlike Davis who started in high Class A, but then Smoak has enjoyed much friendlier hitting environments along the way.

www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2009/268591.html

Guess I'll be eating crow soon
laugh.gif

It's good to see Jeff actually making good contact. That 5 K's in 57 AB's stat stunned me at first. Good for him.

Metsblog.com - Hope it is that they fired the VP (We would know about a trade.)

Update, 2:01 pm:

The Mets have announced Omar Minaya will hold a press conference with reporters today from Citi Field at 3:30 pm, which will air live on SNY.

…well, either a trade is going down, or the axe is about to fall…

…i'm betting on the axe, considering last week's headlines…

…they scheduled this for the exact moment the clubhouse opens, so they're gonna pull everyone in to the media room, and rock…

Original Post:

…there are rumblings around the Mets that some sort of news will go down today… but, i have no idea what…

…i would think if it was a trade, by now, someone, from one of the major news outlets would be reporting something, but who knows… i'm intrigued…

From MetsBlog:

"The Mets have fired Tony Bernazard," reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

…so, i assume this is what the press conference is for…

…i never like smiling when a man loses his job, a man with a family, etc… that said, i think it was pretty clear the Mets had to pull the trigger on this, iffor no other reason than fans were out for blood, some one was feeding the press with stories about the man, and until the situation was dealt with, it wasgoing to keep causing trouble for the team… plus, in the last day or so, i have talked to a handfull of agents and people from other teams, some of whichpraised tony's tough approach as assertive, but others who said he was no treat to deal with, he was starting to be viewed as a liar, as a spinster, andwas giving the organization a bad name… so, public relations aside, this may be the start of a new, cleaner day for the Mets… since, i sense Omar Minaya was infavor of the dismissal, though we'll probably never know that for certain…

…in the end, the way i understand it, bernazard may have been hired by omar to handle player-agent relations, but he ended up being Jeff Wilpon's eyes andears for all things on-field baseball operations, and he collected more power than omar, in the sense that, as one person put it to me, 'If Jeff is theBoss, Tony is his Consigliere,' for those who watch Sopranos or Godfather…

…i hope omar now leans more on Assistant GM John Ricco, who i hear lots of good things about from people in other organizations… he's smart with money andcontracts, stats, etc., and he and omar have a vision for this team… i have heard people say omar should be left to do talent evaluations and negotiating,based on the financial and statistical recommendations of ricco… hopefully, together, it's a good start for a new direction… we'll see…

Just about to post that ScarsOrScabs

Sucks that someone lost their job but in the past year and the past couple of weeks he has been a complete idiot.

Originally Posted by VC3FAN

Just about to post that ScarsOrScabs

Sucks that someone lost their job but in the past year and the past couple of weeks he has been a complete idiot.
I don't feel bad for scumbags. This is what he gets for stabbing Willie in the back. Stupid piece of $+#+ I'm glad he's gone. Now hirean actual talent guru and lets get the farmsystem rolling.
And Mez, this Ike Davis cat, is he on the 40 man roster? You think he'll get called up in September or even in August if he keeps performing? We gotnothing else to lose, might as well see what we got down south.

BTW if Castillo doesn't get traded I'm gonna be upset. I think we can get a pretty decent player in return for him.

Who's watching this? Wow, this organization and everything surrounding it is in bad shape. I think Minaya's gotta go too.

^ Can't watch at work.

He Omar really go after one of the beat writers like that did he?

Tony lost his job because of his stupidity and no one would of known if he didn't DO HIS JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omar is going to get attacked next now from Adam and the papers.

My interpretation is that Omar didn't want to fire Bernazard but he had to with all of the reports, what was turned up in the internal investigation. Heavoided questions about details, which is only fair, but gave vague answers, repeated the same things over and over. He said early on that the details of thereports that came out weren't accurate.

Then he specifically named Adam Rubin from the Daily News, who reported the Binghamton incident and whatever else had come out in the press a week or two ago,stating that Rubin had lobbied for a job in player development to both Minaya and other members of the front office. Minaya stated something along the lines oftaking the articles with a grain of salt because of it but that it caused HR to further investigate/expedite what was going on with Bernazard but that they hadalready been investigating it. It came across as Minaya accusing Rubin of undermining Bernazard's position or using these stories to aid in Bernazardlosing his job.

They're interviewing Rubin now, he says he never asked for a job, just how do you go about getting a job in baseball...I don't fully believe himeither.

This !%#* is terrible.

Here you go for those like me stuck at work. Minaya is an Idiot as well (many knew this here but still) Lets just make this more interesting than it has to be.Minaya's clock has begun. Time to see the NY Media attack Omar.

Update, 4:30 pm:

Rubin will an on-air guest of SNY in the next few minutes.

…like Clark Griswold said, 'This is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy.'… i just can't believe omar called rubin out during this press conference…i mean, this was supposed to be a day of clearing the air, turning the page from last week, building on two wins in Houston and looking on field forentertainment… instead, omar signals out a reporter and here we are at the cross section of Unique and Sensational, and as one fire goes out another is set…

Update, 4:15 pm:

Minaya was clear to point out that Adam Rubin of the Daily News, who wrote the initial reports, had been lobbying the team for a job in the team's playerdevelopment department.

…interesting… so, maybe this will finally answer my question of why rubin is always wearing a suit… seriously, always with the suits…

…seriously, though, the insinuation, which is pretty serious, as i hear it from omar, is t hat rubin wrote this story about tony to try and get tony fired,because he was seeking a job in the team's player development department… this is an amazing accusation, and omar better have proof…

Rubin, in the audience, then told Minaya, to his face, that he is 'despicable' for alleging that he set out to 'tear Tony down' to take hisjob.

…this just took a fascinating turn… i have never heard of anything like this, which is about to make national attention, i would think, in terms of sports andmedia…

In a post to his media watchdog blog for Newsday, Neil Best called this press conference one of the "strangest in the history of New York media!"

Update, 3:57 pm:

Minaya officially announced that Tony Bernazard has been fired

Classless move by Omar. I can't say that I'm surprised. I would be calling for his head, but I mean, what other good GMs are out there? It's notlike we could bring in Billy Beane to take over.

Evan and Joe are TEARING HIM APART.

They want Jeff Wilpon to speak or make a statement.

Omar just made his bed with this. EDIT - our assistant gm is pretty good and alot of scouts around Baseball like him Johnny.

Rubin's response

Update, 4:35 pm:

Rubin told reporters that he once probed Jeff Wilpon about how to get a job in major league baseball, 'but that's it.'

Rubin said he never asked for a specific job from the Mets, he just asked general questions on e-mail about how to go about finding a job 'in theindustry.'

"I'm floored," Rubin said, "I don't know how I'm going to cover the team now… To make this type of accusation is obscene."

Rubin will also be a guest on SNY's Daily News Live at 5:30 pm.

…i hope omar had Jeff Wilpon's blessing for calling rubin out by name, because if not, and omar did this on his own, and just caused more heat, he betterlook out…

…John Ricco, hide in the closet, man…. no subtle movements…

And this was just funny to me:

In a post to Twitter, Can't Stop the Bleeding writes, "here's a list of things the Wilpons and Minaya don't understand : 1) P.R., 2)journalism, 3) ponzi schemes, 4) baseball."

Back
Top Bottom