**NEW** Common - Stay Schemin' (Drake Diss)

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

In the grand scheme of rap, who would have thought Drake's first real industry beef would be with Common? It's great they're doing this, I been waitin for a nice lil rap beef, hopefully each party can escalate things further without anyone getting hurt.

Im interested in knowing what the real genesis of this beef really is. A part of me thinks Common's just sick of the direction rap is going, and a part of me really thinks it's about :
Common-and-Serena.jpg

then

drake-serena-1.jpg
drakeserena01.jpg
Two dudes fighting over another dude.

drake probably said some slick %%@$ to serena and she told common.....you know how !@!%#@$ are...one thing a %%***%+ love is 2 n's fighting over her
30t6p3b.gif

Let's be real.
Im interested in knowing what the real genesis of this beef really is. A part of me thinks Common's just sick of the direction rap is going, and a part of me really thinks it's about :

Direction rap is going? Nah, Common did a Gap commercial years ago. He would gladly be part of the mainstream if he could make a mainstream record... or had any sort of charisma whatsoever. He's obviously upset over the girl. The fact that Drake is one of the top five most known/marketable rappers in the industry doesn't hurt his motives either. I live in the fourth largest city in America and I can tell you he has not seen the light of day on the radio here since "The Light" came out... that is, until they played his diss one time just to put it out there. That Pusha "Sweet" freestyle was weak, too. Dude went through the trouble of making a decently made video for a mediocre verse that was like an open handed WWE jab at best to Drake?

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

Originally Posted by DT43

Have y'all heard Common's disses? They're weak. Super weak. Drake ethered him on Stay Schemin already.
you cant be older than 19
indifferent.gif
 Hip-hop elitists think liking Common makes them a "better" rap fan. Look at the verses objectively. Common's was distinctly weaker.

FTR I'm 25 and in law school and don't have YMCMB OVOXO in my Twitter bio.

laugh.gif
Got Em

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

Originally Posted by DT43

you cant be older than 19
indifferent.gif
 Hip-hop elitists think liking Common makes them a "better" rap fan. Look at the verses objectively. Common's was distinctly weaker.

laugh.gif
Got Em
I couldn't agree with this more.
I understand if you like common and are a fan of his but everyone in here saying common is "a legend".  I wouldn't go that far at all.  Dude has had a nice career he has a grammy or two i think? (correct me if I am wrong) which says something.  But he isn't a rap legend.  I also think if you look at this from a subjective "battle rap" standpoint.  His dis was weak.  Ether is of course the bar for dis records, but even "Who got bodied" by royce going at mister FAB was 10000x harder then this dis.

This is basically a verbal pillow fight.  Common isn't "hard" or "a legend" and drake isn't either.  Me sitting on my couch watching "She's just not that into you" drinking a nice pinot grigio is harder then this "beef".

Originally Posted by Jking0821

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
Got Em
I understand if you like common and are a fan of his but everyone in here saying common is "a legend".  I wouldn't go that far at all.  Dude has had a nice career he has a grammy or two i think? (correct me if I am wrong) which says something.  But he isn't a rap legend.  I also think if you look at this from a subjective "battle rap" standpoint.  His dis was weak.  Ether Hit Em Up is of course the bar for dis records, but even "Who got bodied" by royce going at mister FAB was 10000x harder then this dis.

This is basically a verbal pillow fight.  Common isn't "hard" or "a legend" and drake isn't either.  Me sitting on my couch watching "She's just not that into you" drinking a nice pinot grigio is harder then this "beef".

Is was with you up until the bolded part...
I'm far from an elitist (I can't stand em) but you need to do your homework on that one. 

Dude can also freestyle w/o the aid of a blackberry.

He's spit recycled verses from songs as "freestyles" more than once.
One in the same to me...

At the current state of the game, Common is the one coming into this with something to prove and something to gain. Drake responding gave Common a buzz. The "legend" element has already been addressed by Drake on his album--whether at Common or just in general:
They take greats from the past and compare us. I wonder if they'd ever survive in this era.

That wasn't even really a diss; just an observation of the industry and its critics.

If I had been in the game for a decade or more and the only chance I have left for mainstream exposure comes from sitting by my phone and hoping Kanye asks me for another feature (e.g. Pusha, Common), I'd probably take offense from lines like that, too. AND the dude smashed my girl? Yeah, I'd probably get in a booth and try to make something happen. 
Is it cool that these guys aren't taking it sitting down and letting Drake--or anybody--just bombard them with bars about how washed up they are? Of course. However, them coming with these weak songs doesn't help them any. If anything, these guys now look self-conscious of their current industry standings because they're taking ambiguous Drake diss lines (from his album, that could just be generic boastful battle bars) personally. So Drake is able to walk right into these "beefs" with an advantage because the other guy is having to make the first swing. Also, it doesn't hurt that Drake's camp has a HUGE market share of the mainstream so dissing him is a virtual shot to the foot of these guys who want to get big again.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif
If Common isn't a rap legend, then who is?

I mean music is subjective to everyone.  So my list of legends does not include common

Spoiler [+]
Pun, Pac, Big, Jay, Nas, Big L, Raekwon, DMX, Lupe (yea i said it lol), Em, Rakim, NWA, the roots.  A legend to me is someone that brought something new to me personally so take it for what it is. Common was never near my radar.  His voice bored me his subject matter wasn't new to me, there are tons of rappers that "can spit" but making good music is a completely different story.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif

I mean music is subjective to everyone.  So my list of legends does not include common
Theoretically...it is subjective. However...someone being considered a legend is a little less subjective.
It would be like me saying Michael Jordan ISN'T a legend because I don't like MJ (Not true...just using an example). When it comes to being considered a legend...you have to account for the prestige, his place in the game, how revered he is by his peers, etc. Not just how YOU feel about the subject.

I don't particularly care for KRS-One, but I'm not going to sit up and say he ISN'T a legend.

Jking0821 wrote:
DoubleJs07 wrote:
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
Pun, Pac, Big, Jay, Nas, Big L, Raekwon, DMX, Lupe (yea i said it lol), Em, Rakim, NWA, the roots.  A legend to me is someone that brought something new to me personally so take it for what it is. Common was never near my radar.  His voice bored me his subject matter wasn't new to me, there are tons of rappers that "can spit" but making good music is a completely different story.

Wait... You place Lupe as a Legend but not Common?!?!  A person 3 albums, the last of which was devoid of artistic integrity in is a Legend... But not the person who's responsible for ushering in the Chicago hip hop scene to the masses.  Not the 1st person from The Crib who was really respected in the Hip Hop Scene bi coastal.  Not the person who's over a decade in from dropping classic material and still dropping classic hip hop albums?  I has a ton of confusion with this statement

Furthermore I think most will agree that a Legend isn't about bringing something new to YOU its about bringing something new to the game and sustaining excellence throughout.  That's something that Common has done since he dropped I Used To Love H.E.R.

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
Got Em
I understand if you like common and are a fan of his but everyone in here saying common is "a legend".  I wouldn't go that far at all.  Dude has had a nice career he has a grammy or two i think? (correct me if I am wrong) which says something.  But he isn't a rap legend.  I also think if you look at this from a subjective "battle rap" standpoint.  His dis was weak.  Ether is of course the bar for dis records, but even "Who got bodied" by royce going at mister FAB was 10000x harder then this dis.

wut

the man made "the light". 

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

drake probably said some slick %%@$ to serena and she told common.....you know how !@!%#@$ are...one thing a %%***%+ love is 2 n's fighting over her
30t6p3b.gif
"Shawty wanna tell me secrets ’bout a rap _____ /
I tell a _____ its more attractive when you hold it down"

nerd.gif

Ya'll REALLY think Serena has NOTHING to do with this? I mean what else honestly connects these two artists?

I bet if Trey Songz was smashing, Common would come out with a "Trigga"
grin.gif
 diss...or if  Nelly was rubbing one out over her tennis racket, common would release a St. Lunatic's version...
laugh.gif

But Drake is the top dog right now...AND he's smashing your girl ...excuse me...EX-girl...so now all of a sudden hes this, that and the other? 

Now common wants to act like he's the only version of "Hip Hop"? 

We have this debate all the time. The art form has changed since 1993 and this debate is getting tiring. The limitations on what is considered "Rap" or "hip hop" have expanded to cover a wider variety of music. It pisses rap elitists off to know that artists can rap....AND sing. Its harder for them to classify because it doesn't fit in their neat mold of what music should be in their eyes. 

I actually think Common IS a legend and his last album was pretty damn good...but hes reaching right now. 

I mean honestly, Common is better off directing that diss towards Kanye, someone who PIONEERED the style Drake was influenced by and embraced. But then again, Kanye probably didn't smash your ex-fiance....
grin.gif

Now I think its entirely cool Common wants to speak on the state of the game and how much its changed. Thats what old artists do. They long for the moments of yesteryear by rapping about nostalgia. It is what it is....but how are you going to diss the one guy who is single handedly influenced more by your own homie then act like he doesn't contribute to the artform as well. Thats weak. I could understand dissing even Flocka or Soulja Boy... But Drake? Come on son. Not even counting commercial success, Drake has contributed heavily to the artform without counting his singing.

IF Drake decides to respond, and I really don't think he will because him and his team probably want to focus more things that will get them paid, not rap beef...I expect it to be lyrically more advanced and far more potent than what Common released. But he won't release anything that he doesn't think will shut Lonnie down. Remember, this guy has crafted his commercial presence better than almost any artist in years. 

Do ya'll really think Drake can't bring the heat?

We're talking about a guy that got up on stage and SANG Destiny's Child "Say My Name".............with passion at that.  It's over for Drake, and it's over for the majority of his fanbase that condones these actions.  Even after the discovery of that video I hear some of you dudes saying there's nothing wrong with that, or you dudes saying that you sing "Say My Name"  in the shower and stuff like that, to which I can't do anything but laugh and say bless your hearts.  Drake needs to keep it real with himself and just go back to his r&b style of rap.  When he does that, that's the real him and that's what he's good at.  If he wants to make songs like Marvin's Room crying on the phone to chicks and hating on dudes that actually got game then I say more power to him, and more power to you all you Drake lovers that do the same as well.  Remember, the game aint for everybody.  He's not "catching any bodies" and as a soft, sweet, simp rapper he's not looking forward to running into anybody at the finish line as he suggested.  In any and everything that you do you have to have an inner honesty within you and of yourself, people can pick up and sense that.  

Also, this thread has really shown some of the newbies and uninformed individuals when it comes to hip hop.  I thought we left some of you clowns behind in 2011 but I see you dudes still carry that same ignorance and unwillingness to learn right over into the year of 2012.  They say the end of the world is going to occur in 2012, and when folks make comments like Common isn't a legend and Common needs to do diss records to create buzz since they live in the fourth largest city in America I'm almost convinced more so now than ever that the end of the world is near.  If so, it's time for you dudes to get your act together and brush up on your hip hop history before you engage in conversations and discussions like this.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either, each one teach one.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

We're talking about a guy that got up on stage and SANG Destiny's Child "Say My Name".............with passion at that. 

I agree...awkward move... Kinda threw me off when I saw he did it for the first time... 
laugh.gif

It's over for Drake, and it's over for the majority of his fanbase that condones these actions. 
Ah...the "masculinity" debate again, right?
Its 2012 man. Things are changing whether you agree with it or not. I'm not saying its right or wrong either. Its up to you to decide how you feel about it. But don't act like how that makes you FEEL makes that inherently right or wrong.

Even after the discovery of that video I hear some of you dudes saying there's nothing wrong with that, or you dudes saying that you sing "Say My Name"  in the shower and stuff like that, to which I can't do anything but laugh and say bless your hearts.

This isn't me, but then again, more power to those that are like this. I'll let them, do them.
Drake needs to keep it real with himself and just go back to his r&b style of rap.  When he does that, that's the real him and that's what he's good at.  If he wants to make songs like Marvin's Room crying on the phone to chicks and hating on dudes that actually got game then I say more power to him, and more power to you all you Drake lovers that do the same as well.

The hell is a Drake lover? I mean honestly, out of the dozens of songs released in the past 3 years, you mean to tell me you liked NONE of them? Where do you draw the line? 
That being said, if R&B cats have been singing about those topics for decades...but when a "rapper" does it, everyone cries foul. The double standard is astounding.

Maybe if rap fans focused more on the quality of the content being released from artists instead of supporting ideologies of their perceptions of masculinity then ya'll wouldn't be so damn disappointed.

Its like you all found out that Mr. T cries himself to sleep or that your favorite MMA fighter misses his ex-girlfriend. 

Again, its all entertainment and if you think you need to take your cues of what is masculine from music, then you need REAL role models. 

Remember, the game aint for everybody.  He's not "catching any bodies" and as a soft, sweet, simp rapper he's not looking forward to running into anybody at the finish line as he suggested.  In any and everything that you do you have to have an inner honesty within you and of yourself, people can pick up and sense that.  

You probably also think Biggie was a coke king-pin too.

Or that Ice Cube really used his AK on every other day of his week...
grin.gif

Also, this thread has really shown some of the newbies and uninformed individuals when it comes to hip hop.

In YOUR eyes.
I thought we left some of you clowns behind in 2011 but I see you dudes still carry that same ignorance and unwillingness to learn right over into the year of 2012.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: DEUCE KING IS THE OFFICIAL STANDARD OF WHAT QUALIFIES AS HIP HOP!
They say the end of the world is going to occur in 2012, and when folks make comments like Common isn't a legend and Common needs to do diss records to create buzz since they live in the fourth largest city in America I'm almost convinced more so now than ever that the end of the world is near.

That was that poster's opinion. I can't expect a country fan to think "I used to love HER" or "The Light" or "Come Close" or BE is classic hip-hop music.  
Its all relative and you're over here bursting blood vessels since not everyone views it the same way. 

If so, it's time for you dudes to get your act together and brush up on your hip hop history before you engage in conversations and discussions like this.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either, each one teach one.

But you haven't offered anything rooted in history OR that was an objective stance.
Everything you have said has been in deference to what you define as "good" and "bad" and nothing about how things came to be. 

I mean is hating on Ross every step of the way getting you anywhere? Are you telling me that you have never liked a Ross song? Did you lose support for him after you found out about his past? What about Guru and the gay rumors? Or Mister Cee? 

Is it that hard to just judge artists based on the quality of their output and NOT the framework of expectations? 

That mentality hurts the artist more in the long run because any chance they get to "experiment" is always met with fan disappointment instead of acceptance for trying new things. 

Thats why things like 808s and Heartbreak and The Love Below get appreciated way after their release dates because people have time to come back and reassess what they skipped over. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by Deuce King

We're talking about a guy that got up on stage and SANG Destiny's Child "Say My Name".............with passion at that. 

I agree...awkward move... Kinda threw me off when I saw he did it for the first time... 
laugh.gif

It's over for Drake, and it's over for the majority of his fanbase that condones these actions. 
Its 2012 man. Things are changing whether you agree with it or not. I'm not saying its right or wrong either. Its up to you to decide how you feel about it. But don't act like how that makes you FEEL makes that inherently right or wrong.

Even after the discovery of that video I hear some of you dudes saying there's nothing wrong with that, or you dudes saying that you sing "Say My Name"  in the shower and stuff like that, to which I can't do anything but laugh and say bless your hearts.

This isn't me, but then again, more power to those that are like this. I'll let them, do them.
Drake needs to keep it real with himself and just go back to his r&b style of rap.  When he does that, that's the real him and that's what he's good at.  If he wants to make songs like Marvin's Room crying on the phone to chicks and hating on dudes that actually got game then I say more power to him, and more power to you all you Drake lovers that do the same as well.

The hell is a Drake lover? I mean honestly, out of the dozens of songs released in the past 3 years, you mean to tell me you liked NONE of them? Where do you draw the line? 
That being said, if R&B cats have been singing about those topics for decades...but when a "rapper" does it, everyone cries foul. The double standard is astounding.

Maybe if rap fans focused more on the quality of the content being released from artists instead of supporting ideologies of their perceptions of masculinity then ya'll wouldn't be so damn disappointed.

Its like you all found out that Mr. T cries himself to sleep or that your favorite MMA fighter misses his ex-girlfriend. 

Again, its all entertainment and if you think you need to take your cues of what is masculine from music, then you need REAL role models. 

Remember, the game aint for everybody.  He's not "catching any bodies" and as a soft, sweet, simp rapper he's not looking forward to running into anybody at the finish line as he suggested.  In any and everything that you do you have to have an inner honesty within you and of yourself, people can pick up and sense that.  

grin.gif

Also, this thread has really shown some of the newbies and uninformed individuals when it comes to hip hop.

In YOUR eyes.
I thought we left some of you clowns behind in 2011 but I see you dudes still carry that same ignorance and unwillingness to learn right over into the year of 2012.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: DEUCE KING IS THE OFFICIAL STANDARD OF WHAT QUALIFIES AS HIP HOP!
They say the end of the world is going to occur in 2012, and when folks make comments like Common isn't a legend and Common needs to do diss records to create buzz since they live in the fourth largest city in America I'm almost convinced more so now than ever that the end of the world is near.

That was that poster's opinion. I can't expect a country fan to think "I used to love HER" or "The Light" or "Come Close" or BE is classic hip-hop music.  
Its all relative and you're over here bursting blood vessels since not everyone views it the same way. 

If so, it's time for you dudes to get your act together and brush up on your hip hop history before you engage in conversations and discussions like this.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either, each one teach one.

But you haven't offered anything rooted in history OR that was an objective stance.
Everything you have said has been in deference to what you define as "good" and "bad" and nothing about how things came to be. 

I mean is hating on Ross every step of the way getting you anywhere? Are you telling me that you have never liked a Ross song? Did you lose support for him after you found out about his past? What about Guru and the gay rumors? Or Mister Cee? 

Is it that hard to just judge artists based on the quality of their output and NOT the framework of expectations? 

That mentality hurts the artist more in the long run because any chance they get to "experiment" is always met with fan disappointment instead of acceptance for trying new things. 

Thats why things like 808s and Heartbreak and The Love Below get appreciated way after their release dates because people have time to come back and reassess what they skipped over. 

My man
3ac25d6ea3e3c0575227678a804efddd00f8526.jpeg

After listening to their respective verses, I feel like Drake has won this sparring round.  Common’s verse was very direct and included a few good lines, such as the “cling like you’re 18

Com & Serena had been split for a while before Drake got at her.

I highly doubt this started over her.

Originally Posted by ill steelo

I don't think it started OVER her...like how WWII didn't start OVER Jews being killed...but it had something to do with it...
Do you see what I mean?

I mean Common was about to MARRY this woman...A RAP ARTIST was about to GIVE UP THE SINGLE LIFE over this woman...an extremely public figure...

I don't know about you, but feelings like that don't subside over merely a few weeks, especially given the sheer access to "life partners" someone like Common would have, if we're being honest here. 

Then imagine your ex-FIANCE dating some dude you think is corny, sings too much, lame etc... 

THEN Give him a mic and something wreckless might start flying out of your mouth with subtle/sub-conscious hate in your eyes. 

Just like Kanye and Amber Rose and other scorned lovers. Like since that ya'll broke up, NOW you want to start throwing people under the bus? 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by ill steelo

I don't think it started OVER her...like how WWII didn't start OVER Jews being killed...but it had something to do with it...
Do you see what I mean?

I mean Common was about to MARRY this woman...an extremely public figure...feelings like that don't subside over merely a few weeks.

Then imagine your ex-FIANCE dating some dude you think is corny, sings too much, lame etc... 

THEN Give him a mic and something wreckless might start flying out of your mouth with subtle/sub-conscious hate in your eyes. 

Just like Kanye and Amber Rose and other scorned lovers. Like since that ya'll broke up, NOW you want to start throwing people under the bus? 

he broke up with her like 2 years ago almost. Drake started messing with her a few months ago. I would imagine that he was over it by then, but only Com knows

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Jking0821 wrote:
DoubleJs07 wrote:
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]

Wait... You place Lupe as a Legend but not Common?!?!  A person 3 albums, the last of which was devoid of artistic integrity in is a Legend... But not the person who's responsible for ushering in the Chicago hip hop scene to the masses.  Not the 1st person from The Crib who was really respected in the Hip Hop Scene bi coastal.  Not the person who's over a decade in from dropping classic material and still dropping classic hip hop albums?  I has a ton of confusion with this statement

Furthermore I think most will agree that a Legend isn't about bringing something new to YOU its about bringing something new to the game and sustaining excellence throughout.  That's something that Common has done since he dropped I Used To Love H.E.R.
Yep
laugh.gif
I am sure there are people on your legends list that people don't agree with.  Its music here the entire state of art is subjective.  So yes Lupe a legend Common not a legend.

But i enjoy reading everyone's views on this very good thread so far.  Its a tough position for common since the majority of the younger crowd that loves drake see's this as "old man dissing drake to get a buzz".  But if drake does rebuttal this i hope he sings it all.  I would die if he either flips Hi Rihanna to Hi Serena or just does a whole R&B diss track to throw it in commons face.  Like the softest diss ever.  He prob won't respond though.  And if he does he will prob try to dead it in interviews.

laugh.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about champ. See how you agreed with me, see how easy it works.  You could have and should have really stopped after this point, but I see you decided to get going. 

One more time since I'm guessing you didn't understand it the first time............"It's over for Drake, and it's over for the majority of his fanbase that condones these actions."

This isn't me, but then again, more power to those that are like this.
Glad to hear it champ. 

out of the dozens of songs released in the past 3 years, you mean to tell me you liked NONE of them?
I never said that, some of his songs have been cool or okay to listen to.  Some on the other hand, not so much.  For example his verse on Stay Schemin would qualify as the latter.

That being said, if R&B cats have been singing about those topics for decades...but when a "rapper" does it, everyone cries foul.

As the saying goes, that aint this, and this aint that.  If we're talking about r&b lets talk about r&b, if we're talking about rap and the elements of hip hop then let's talk about that. 

More like maybe if rap fans focused on the background and foundation of hip hop and decided to educate themselves on the history threwout it we wouldn't have folks saying Common isn't a legend and other foolishness. 

Dude, your assumptions are astonishing and laughable. 

In YOUR eyes
Not just in my eyes but in the eyes of others on here just so you know.  It's funny and yet sad to see some of the comments made in here.  Folks are really at a lose when it comes to hip hop and dudes really don't have a clue.........but they think they do. 

That poster unfortunately carries the same kind of %** backwards mentality that alot of these "5 year old hip hop historians" have that was referenced earlier.  Dudes are new to the game and instead of either asking questions or soaking up the knowledge that is being presented not just in here but in other threads on the boards they are quick to dismiss it and try to come up with their own facts.  It doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't work that way. 

I mean is hating on Ross every step of the way getting you anywhere? Are you telling me that you have never liked a Ross song?

We're not even talking about Ross here, stick to the topic at hand.  Stay focused.

Originally Posted by ToAnotherLevel

After listening to their respective verses, I feel like Drake has won this sparring round.  Common’s verse was very direct and included a few good lines, such as the “cling like you’re 18

Originally Posted by OneTrust

Everyone KNEW they wasn't coke kings or AK toting bandits, but they were at least street dudes which is why you could still feel where they were coming from.  This Degrassi High guy on the other hand, not so much.  

Are you a street dude?

Back
Top Bottom