NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Portland has so much money its ridiculous! Their highest paid player on their payroll doesnt is Darius Miles @ 9 mil! Pryzbilla is 2nd at a whopping 6.8 mil!They got room to sign a few quality players and still leave room for BRoy's upcoming contract. I heard they were going after Mike Bibby as well...ALLL IKNOW IS WE NEED TO TRADE YAO MING!!!!!!!! LOL

If the Blazers don't get Turk then they should spend their money on a PG not overpay Ariza. But maybe that's the Cavs fan in me talking.

And people say the Blazers need a PG so bad. Why not give Bayless the keys to the car and bring him along with Patty Mills?

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Damn, I thought it was going to be strange to see Q & D-Miles on the same team again... it's going to be strange seeing Q in a Clippers uniform again.
And now my old Clippers Q Rich jersey becomes relevent again
pimp.gif

This Alex Acker fellow better be ready to get his number taken
laugh.gif

As NBA stories go, the departure of Mike Sweetney (ex '04) has always been puzzling. Chosen ninth in the 2003 draft, Sweetney's career quietly ended in2007 and writers have been at a loss to explain why.

The Boston Herald has some news, though, reporting that Sweetney has been invited to the Boston Celtics' summer league team. "Mike's trying tomake a comeback," said Celtics executive Danny Ainge. "He's trying to overcome some things happened in his personal life. He's been workingout very hard, the last six or eight months for sure, and maybe longer. He's certainly a talented player, and proven he belongs in the NBA. We'll seeif he can make a comeback."

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

As NBA stories go, the departure of Mike Sweetney (ex '04) has always been puzzling. Chosen ninth in the 2003 draft, Sweetney's career quietly ended in 2007 and writers have been at a loss to explain why.

The Boston Herald has some news, though, reporting that Sweetney has been invited to the Boston Celtics' summer league team. "Mike's trying to make a comeback," said Celtics executive Danny Ainge. "He's trying to overcome some things happened in his personal life. He's been working out very hard, the last six or eight months for sure, and maybe longer. He's certainly a talented player, and proven he belongs in the NBA. We'll see if he can make a comeback."

pimp.gif
Always wondered where this dude have been. Good luck to him.

Wonder if he still looks like he could be sumo partners with Eddy Curry?

Tractor Trailor 2.0

David Aldridge says Josh Childress is back stateside and visiting Milwaukee.

He has until July 15 to opt out of his deal in Greece.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Is Ariza that much better than Outlaw?
Ariza is NOT better than Travis Outlaw...

Outlaw is more clutch than Ariza. I don't know whats Portland problem. Its like they are really trying to bring in a SF when they are 3 deep at thatposition.

Originally Posted by Pill Clinton

Originally Posted by DLo13

David Aldridge says Josh Childress is back stateside and visiting Milwaukee.

He has until July 15 to opt out of his deal in Greece.

pimp.gif

always liked JC

Perfect fit in Memphis if they could pull it off. Renounce Warrick rights and buyout Buckner. Sign Childress who can backup the 2/3.

From ESPN regarding the Randolph trade:

I think both parties benefit (can't get worse for the Griz). Clippers free up minutes and payroll. Grizzlies get PF scoring/rebounding - and aren't committed 5 years (David Lee). Thabeet/Gasol can complement Randolph on his "questionable" D. If he's a bust, he can have the warm spot on the bench left over from Milicic. He's pricier than Darko, but worth the extra cost seeing that Randolph can actually produce.

Additionally, I still don't get the character concerns on Randolph. Once again, he's replacing Darko Milcic, the scary f'ing "I'm going to rape your mother and children" Serbian.
laugh.gif
If the young impressionable minds on the Grizzlies roster can put up with him, surely they can put up with another headcase. It's the NBA - at least one headcase is unavoidable - might as well be a prodcuctive one, right?

I don't think the Grizzlies fate has been sealed yet. They have the potential to be pretty decent this year and hopefully will be set up to pick up an all-star caliber player in free agency next year. I'm not going to call Chris Wallace the NBA's best GM, or even in the top half. But, it seems that he get's ripped for any move made short of signing Lebron James to a league minimum contract. I think this was a very realistic move.

That brings us to the obvious question: If Randolph is so inimical to an NBA team's rebuilding effort -- as determined by the Clippers, and New York and Portland before them -- why does Memphis want him? The answer, as it was for the Clippers in November of last year, is that there aren't a lot of available power forwards who can score and rebound the way Randolph can, and the Grizz need some production down low.

If you want to take a glass-half-full approach, you can look at a couple of mitigating factors in Memphis. Randolph's worst qualities on the court are his ineffectual interior defense and his tendency to become a black hole in the offense. With Hasheem Thabeet, Memphis has a big man who can protect the rim and compensate for Randolph. And in Marc Gasol, they have a complementary big who knows how to move the ball out of the high post. In addition, if there's one team in the NBA without cap concerns, it's Memphis, which has only $17 million committed in salaries after next season.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

As NBA stories go, the departure of Mike Sweetney (ex '04) has always been puzzling. Chosen ninth in the 2003 draft, Sweetney's career quietly ended in 2007 and writers have been at a loss to explain why.

The Boston Herald has some news, though, reporting that Sweetney has been invited to the Boston Celtics' summer league team. "Mike's trying to make a comeback," said Celtics executive Danny Ainge. "He's trying to overcome some things happened in his personal life. He's been working out very hard, the last six or eight months for sure, and maybe longer. He's certainly a talented player, and proven he belongs in the NBA. We'll see if he can make a comeback."

pimp.gif

oxon hill high school represent!
pimp.gif
i wish mike the best of luck in thesummer league.

I heard from almost every corner of the continent yesterday that Turkoglu's first choice for a new place to play is Toronto. Whether that can happen or not is doubtful because the Raptors really don't want to gut the roster to get the money to make it so but if there's a different, more creative way to make it happen, I guarantee they're working on it.

It's going to be the storyline almost the entire league is watching and it'll have more than a few twists and turns
According to a Twitter post by Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski, Trevor Ariza will become a very rich man at the hands of the team that loses out on Hedo Turkoglu.
League executives believe Portland or Toronto, whichever team does not sign Turkoglu, will offer Ariza between $32 million and $40 million deal.

We better not let Ariza go over a million or so bucks over the MLE.
tired.gif

Quick here in Portland is saying that Toronto is pulling back on Turk because of the 5 guys they would have to renounce.

He also said that Portland was all in with Hedo, they don't even have a backup plan, so I think that Ariza talk is a smokescreen by his agent. Bet Torontoand Portland haven't even called Ariza one time.
laugh.gif

ZBo.
smh.gif
Memphis is nuts for this one.

^ You honestly believe that with this free agent market getting more and more bare Ariza is looking like Jordan at the moment.
laugh.gif

Meanwhile, the Raptors seem to have pulled back on a decision to take a run at Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu, who now seems a good bet to land in Portland.

Still, two NBA sources said yesterday they thought Turkoglu was more interested in landing in Toronto than the Pacific Northwest
. A report yesterday afternoon that Toronto was planning some exorbitant $60 million offer, however, was debunked by a handful of sources. It would take Toronto renouncing the rights to Shawn Marion, Anthony Parker, Carlos Delfino and others to get a Turkoglu deal done and one league source said a deal with Delfino was "close."

The beat writer here in Toronto said that while they never offered 60 mill they are trying to figure out a way to make it work and theyhaven't given up on hedo quite yet.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Chris Wallace...worst gm ever

Yea, its that bad of a move since he's basically a one-year rental and better than any PF on our roster right now.
eyes.gif
Seriously, people acting like we traded for Jerome James when he has 50 millionleft on his contract or something. Memphis won a total of 68 games in their past 3 seasons. People fail to realize that Damon Stoudamire is an assistant inMemphis, so he is one player that could probably keep Randolph's head leveled to a certain extent. If Randolph is that bad of a cancer, Memphis can justlet him ride the bench and keep him away from the team. THE ONLY THING THEY LOST WAS QUENTIN RICHARDSON. Randolph is now in a low key city,mostly the same ethnicity and no PF to compete for his job. People always got to look at the negative without even looking at the positive of the move Memphismade. People acting like we traded Gay for Randolph or something.

Nobody not knocking the other players from the Knicks and Clippers that caused those teams to become a blackhole in itself are they?

The likelyhood of Randolph panning out is like 10-20%. I don't think Randolph will pan out, but MEmphis definitely isn't getting worseby trading Richardson for Randolph straihgt up regardless of the type of cancer he is. But, Memphis didn't lose anything from this deal. It's hard tobelieve that Randolph can really mess up a young core who already has a losing mindset, and its hard to believe that the team will win less than 24 games nextyear. Like I said, if Randolph starts to act foolish just put him on the bench. Memphis has other players they can put at the four spot to get them by the restof the season.

I am not doubting that the dude has serious character problems. I am doubting the dramatic effect some are claiming one guy with bad character can have.

If he is the only bad character guy then he will be astrocized (sp?) by the rest of the team.

If there are a couple of guys that are bad character guys then they can create more drama, conflict, and factions. Just look at the temas he has came from.I've never heard of one guy change a group that much. They are usually more effective at changing that one guy. Now if he refuses to change, then hebecomes the loner, outsider and never really fits in with the team. That may happen.

I don't think he's a leader either. I think he'll get along with teammates, and will play for a coach he respects. I wouldn't be surprised ifhe had a bad attitude, but I actually expect he'll become a fan favorite. Afterall, this city loved Stro, Bonzi, Jwill more than Pau.

But I think all this prognosticating around the effect his lack of character will have on the team is way overblown.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

^ You honestly believe that with this free agent market getting more and more bare Ariza is looking like Jordan at the moment.
laugh.gif

Meanwhile, the Raptors seem to have pulled back on a decision to take a run at Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu, who now seems a good bet to land in Portland.

Still, two NBA sources said yesterday they thought Turkoglu was more interested in landing in Toronto than the Pacific Northwest
. A report yesterday afternoon that Toronto was planning some exorbitant $60 million offer, however, was debunked by a handful of sources. It would take Toronto renouncing the rights to Shawn Marion, Anthony Parker, Carlos Delfino and others to get a Turkoglu deal done and one league source said a deal with Delfino was "close."
The beat writer here in Toronto said that while they never offered 60 mill they are trying to figure out a way to make it work and they haven't given up on hedo quite yet.

More and more bare? Only guys off the market are Charlie V and Ben Gordon. Barely started man.
laugh.gif

Couple pages back there was a quote from his agent that said they had not even talked numbers, then he picks the two teams with the most money and says theyare prepared to make huge offers. Meanwhile, reporters here say that they have not talked to ANYONE other then Hedo. That to me sounds like a smokescreenfrom an agent.

And if Ariza goes to the Cavs, he could easily be their best player in 2010 if Lebron leaves and Shaq is done. So Trev better be sure Bron is staying, orhe's walking away from a lot of winning.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif

The beat writer here in Toronto said that while they never offered 60 mill they are trying to figure out a way to make it work and they haven't given up on hedo quite yet.

More and more bare? Only guys off the market are Charlie V and Ben Gordon. Barely started man.
laugh.gif

Couple pages back there was a quote from his agent that said they had not even talked numbers, then he picks the two teams with the most money and says they are prepared to make huge offers. Meanwhile, reporters here say that they have not talked to ANYONE other then Hedo. That to me sounds like a smokescreen from an agent.

And if Ariza goes to the Cavs, he could easily be their best player in 2010 if Lebron leaves and Shaq is done. So Trev better be sure Bron is staying, or he's walking away from a lot of winning.

This free agent class wasn't that strong to begin with, and Boozer and Okur didn't opt out.

Back
Top Bottom