NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

Best 5 players on the floor:

Tony Parker >>>>>>>>>> J. Kidd
Manu >>>>> J. Howard
RJ >>>>>>>>>> Marion
McDyess <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Dirk
TD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gortat

laugh.gif
See, that's where I disagree.

Kidd is about as good as TP is really. In match-ups, of course TP is better because he's younger, but he's not the distributor that Kidd is, and hisdefense isn't anywhere near Kidd's.

Manu and Josh are pretty close IMO, especially with both being injured.

In normal situations, RJ would be better than Marion, but with a PG like Kidd? We'll see who has a bigger impact on their new team, I'll keep it atthat.
wink.gif

TD and Dirk are interchangeable IMO. TD is much better defensively, but Dirk's capable of handling the ball, and a better offensive player, while TD is abetter passer, rebounder, and shotblocker.

Gortat is about 12 years younger than Gortat,
laugh.gif
. Dyess is a good rebounder and has a nice mid-range shot, but that's about it.

And I said I wasn't getting into it..
laugh.gif

First of all I don't think Manu is way better than Josh and Jefferson and Marion is close.

But I do know that Jason Terry>every player on the Spurs bench X 2.

this has been the most active offseason I can remember. I came into this yesterday and already 20+ pages added on!? if its this crazy already, think about2010!!!!

As for moves, I really like Mavs additions with Marion and Gortat. Gortat is slightly overrated right now (ECF and Finals exposure), but he is better thanerick dampier, IMO. Had to resign Kidd, no one else to lead the team. They already gave the Spurs problems this year. Now they have an answer for RichardJefferson move and another body to guard Duncan. They could sneak into WCF...

Roger Mason 2008-09 Playoffs FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc
G MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS
Totals5 21.6 12-32 .375 7-19 .368 2-3 .667 0.0 1.6 1.6 .20 .00 .80 2.00 1.8 6.6

Jason Terry 2008-09 Playoffs FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc
G MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS
Totals10 32.5 49-126 .389 22-59 .373 23-30 .767 0.6 2.2 2.8 .60 .30 1.60 1.80 1.9 14.3

Roger Mason > Jason Terry

Originally Posted by SEVEN654THREE

First of all I don't think Manu is way better than Josh and Jefferson and Marion is close.

But I do know that Jason Terry>every player on the Spurs bench X 2.
Roger Mason > Jason Terry.
You sir, deserve a medal.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

& Stack is gonna get bought out by Memphis? wonder where he ends up
Who cares, he's crap.
laugh.gif
The guy will probably mention getting bought out and heading back to the Mavs and %@%$ everything up...... Oh wait

WHAT . . THE EFF??
In perhaps the most crucial and defining time of his tenure as Trail Blazers general manager, Kevin Pritchard is wrestling with failure. http://
A late-hour betrayal by Hedo Turkoglu and agent Lon Babby wiped out his master plan, and put him too far behind in the race for another coveted free agent, Trevor Ariza, who was snapped up by Houston.

Trades he envisioned being accepted have fallen apart.

Even efforts with his own players have gone astray. Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, seeking big dollar contract extensions, remain stalled in the negotiating process.

Now, it appears Pritchard is preparing for perhaps his last big pitch of the summer. Sources say the Blazers are putting together what they consider a "toxic" offer to Utah's Paul Millsap, a restricted free agent power forward. If Millsap signs an offer sheet, Utah will have seven days to match the Blazers offer, but the Blazers hope they structure the deal to make it difficult to do so.

If the Millsap plan doesn't go through, the Blazers will go after free agent Brandon Bass, a young power forward who played for Dallas last season.

In the meantime, there are small fires all around One Center Court.

That Roy is unsigned is particularly alarming and a signal that negotiations have snagged. Word is that Roy wants to sign for the maximum allowed five years, but the Blazers only want to commit to four years. A five-year deal would cost Portland about $82 million, although it won't be determined until the 2010-11 salary cap is set.

That a player of Roy's talent and character wants to lock in his future with your club should be embraced and lauded. Instead, the team is nickel-and-diming him with the amount of years. It's bad form.

If there was ever a no-brainer in extensions, it's that of Roy. You give him the maximum contract allowed. No hesitation. No questions asked. No nothing, other than showing him the courtesy of signing him the minute the signing moratorium ended Tuesday night.

Toronto did it with former No. 1 pick Andrea Bargnani, who inked a 5-year, $50 million deal.

If Bargnani has earned that type of respect, certainly Aldridge and Roy have. Especially Roy. He has done everything asked of him on the court, where he has put himself on track to become the franchise's greatest player of all time, and off the court, becoming the team's go-to player for public appearances and community relations as well as tirelessly serving as the team's spokesman to the media.

The Bargnani signing, by the way, was just more fuel to the fire engulfing Pritchard.

The Blazers had hoped to get off paying Aldridge around $10 million a year, but now that the market has been established with Bargnani at $10 million per year, the Blazers' will surely have to pony up at least $11 million per year for Aldridge. At least.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, has gone right for the Blazers this summer.

On Wednesday morning, Pritchard sounded weary and defeated, and refused to comment on his summer shortcomings.

Pritchard is trying to keep his spirits afloat by clinging to this lifesaver -- the Blazers are a young team that won 54 games and has $7.7 million in cap space. It is why some people inside the Blazers walls are suggesting that it is more and more probable that Pritchard either stays put with this roster or makes only a minor move, along the lines of acquiring a role player rather than a starter.

If there is a ray of hope for the Blazers, it came Tuesday night in a memo from the NBA offices that forecasted that the tax threshold for the 2010-11 season will probably drop dramatically. Because of declining attendance in the league, some have forecasted the threshold -- at $69 million this season -- could plummet to anywhere from $61 million to $64 million next summer.

That would put up to 70 percent of the league over the threshold, forcing them to pay a dollar for every dollar they are over the threshold. In that scenario, some teams, like the Lakers, New Orleans and Washington could be looking at luxury tax bills in excess of $30 million.

That's good news for a team like the Blazers, who right now sport a payroll right at $50 million. It's sensible to assume some owners will study that memo from the league, cringe at the thought of paying a huge luxury tax, and order the general manager to slash payroll. That would put Portland in the enviable position of buying at a time when everyone is selling, giving them the ability to pull off a financially uneven trade.

Up until now, it has been one mishap after another for the Blazers. They have nothing to show during a summer when improvement has been made by San Antonio (Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess), the Lakers (Ron Artest) and Houston (Trevor Ariza) while Dallas (Jason Kidd), Utah (Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur) retained key players. Dallas is also reportedly picking up Shawn Marion from Toronto.

The Blazers?

Adding Millsap, a fierce rebounder, could help a team that was shoved around by Houston in a first-round playoff loss. And it could be a dagger to a divisional rival.

At the same time, a Millsap signing could soothe what has been a miserable summer for Pritchard.

In the meantime, the word is the Blazers are staying up late into the night throwing around ideas. All the while, the golden aura that once surrounded Pritchard dims.

I pray to Jesus this is false information. If Pritchard was actually willing to sign Turkoglu for 5 years but Roy for only 4 . . . . then I haveno idea what to think about this organization. This is absolutely baffling to me.

that is such a doomsday article up there about the blazers. i would scared as hell if i was a fan of them.

I personally thought all the talk about how disappointing Portland was this off-season in terms of acquiring new players was overblown. I mean . . they tiedfor the 3rd best record in the west last year(54 wins) with the youngest playing rotation in the league. Nothing that had happened this off-season had mesincerely bummed . . until this news on Roy.

Turk would have been nice, but he could have just as easily been a mistake. Ariza was too expensive and it'd be worst case scenario if Nicolas Batumwasn't eventually better than him in 1-2 years anyway. Neither of those non-signings can be flat-out considered as 100% failures. So basically, if I wakeup tomorrow and it's announced that Roy has signed a 5 year, max extention, all will right in Blazerland and IMO, the future will be as bright for thisteam in '09-'10 as everyone expected it would be when the season first came to a close.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

that is such a doomsday article up there about the blazers. i would scared as hell if i was a fan of them.

There is no way we dont sign Roy and Lamarcus, and I really like that we might get Millsap because he is exactly what we need. While I agree that articlesounded depressing I think the author was being a little over dramatic.

My $.02 on the AV situation and the Cavs' cap:

1. we overpaid, but any decent defensive big man is going to be these days, and the last year or few years ARE NOT guaranteed $
2. Andy is young and still improving, and he's clearly a major asset to the young core of our team and always brings energy
3. Andy is a great presence in the locker room
4. Cavs are totally *%#*$+ if we don't re-sign him, honestly, who would start at the 4?
5. assuming Parker got the BAE, this isn't that bad
6. we still have our MLE

I'm not justifying the money, because it is a lot, especially over that amount of years, but I'm just looking at the rationale behind it and it'snot THAT BAD. Too many of you guys are: a. simply looking at the monetary amount and b. thinking he got 5 years $60m.

EDIT: Just found out only around $42m is guaranteed and the $50m is a combination of incentives and his salary in the last year. It apparently averages out to$7m per and potentially a little more.

i agree with you on some of your points (cmon with the locker room presence bs and whatnot). i just find it a terrible move with the impending drop in the NBAsalary cap. That is too much for him regularly, WAY too much given the new realities of the NBA.

^And the alternative is? He apparently had talks with teams for the same contract, and we wouldn't have a starting 4...

Originally Posted by JDB1523

My $.02 on the AV situation and the Cavs' cap:

1. we overpaid, but any decent defensive big man is going to be these days, and the last year or few years ARE NOT guaranteed $
2. Andy is young and still improving, and he's clearly a major asset to the young core of our team and always brings energy
3. Andy is a great presence in the locker room
4. Cavs are totally *%#*$+ if we don't re-sign him, honestly, who would start at the 4?
5. assuming Parker got the BAE, this isn't that bad
6. we still have our MLE

I'm not justifying the money, because it is a lot, especially over that amount of years, but I'm just looking at the rationale behind it and it's not THAT BAD. Too many of you guys are: a. simply looking at the monetary amount and b. thinking he got 5 years $60m.

EDIT: Just found out only around $42m is guaranteed and the $50m is a combination of incentives and his salary in the last year. It apparently averages out to $7m per and potentially a little more.
Cleveland fans like Varajeo? I seriously had no idea.

Originally Posted by heat23

Originally Posted by TheRav4

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what moves has he done before this with Toronto?
Umm... from the top of my mind:

Traded Araujo for Humphries.
Drafted Bargnani #1.
Traded Charlie V for TJ Ford. (I didn't like the move at first...but we won our first Atlantic Division, coach of the year, exec of the year before Boston got the big 3).
Signed Kapono for full MLE.
Traded Ford, Rasho and a pick for J.O.
Signed Moon out of the gutter.
Traded J.O. and Moon for Marion and Banks (Banks contract hurting us a bit).
Traded Kapono for Reggie Evans (cost cutting, plus more rebounding).
Signed Hedo.
Now this trade.

BC has made some questionable moves before, but always seems to rebound. Great GM.

Dont forget the 1st round pick and the 4 mil Trade exemption...... IMO, we got the better end of that trade. Other then that, Raps have a good GM

True, it was very late when I wrote that. Trust me, I haven't forgotten about that first pick. It'll be the year we make the playoffs you guys get it.I strongly predict we'll be a very good team in the east, so you guys will have it for the 2010 draft. And yes the Heat definitely got the better end ofthat deal no question.

I also forgot to mention:

We signed Fred Jones.
Traded Fred Jones for Dixon.

That Roy is unsigned is particularly alarming and a signal that negotiations have snagged. Word is that Roy wants to sign for the maximum allowed five years, but the Blazers only want to commit to four years.

If this is true, I'm done with these idiots.

Back
Top Bottom