NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by TheRav4

We the Toronto Raptors might have the smartest GM in the NBA. Colangelo got himself out of a gutter and trades Humphries for Wright, George, the ability to use the MLE, and the ability to use the LLE. Wright and George are whatever...decent additions, but our ability to use the MLE and LLE to increase our bench has just made it so much better for us. What a great trade.
Word, he needs a standing ovation and an Apology from Carlos Tevez for all the times he called him an idiot.
roll.gif

The only indisputably dumb thing he did was sign Jason Kapono.

sportsguy33(Bill Simmons)Seriously, how many NBA trades has Chris Wallace helped out as a 3rd party for no real reason? He's like a money launderer. Hey Chris, would you like to help out 3 other teams that you're competing against for no reason at all? You would! Thanks!"

laugh.gif
Chris Wallace can't catch a break.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what moves has he done before this with Toronto?
Umm... from the top of my mind:

Traded Araujo for Humphries.
Drafted Bargnani #1.
Traded Charlie V for TJ Ford. (I didn't like the move at first...but we won our first Atlantic Division, coach of the year, exec of the year before Bostongot the big 3).
Signed Kapono for full MLE.
Traded Ford, Rasho and a pick for J.O.
Signed Moon out of the gutter.
Traded J.O. and Moon for Marion and Banks (Banks contract hurting us a bit).
Traded Kapono for Reggie Evans (cost cutting, plus more rebounding).
Signed Hedo.
Now this trade.

BC has made some questionable moves before, but always seems to rebound. Great GM.

Seriously, do the Cavs think locking up Verejao will really make Lebron think, "well of course I'll stay then"??

Lebron is gonna want A LOT more than Verejao and Mo Williams, and Cleveland just hampered their ability to give him that. Shaq is old - he gave the Suns hisall last year, and he still kinda sputtered to the end (which was not the playoffs, mind you).

The Cavs are making stupid moves, making it more and more of a stupid move for Lebron if he stays. Loyalty and hometown only count for so much.

Originally Posted by TheRav4

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

what moves has he done before this with Toronto?
Umm... from the top of my mind:

Traded Araujo for Humphries.
Drafted Bargnani #1.
Traded Charlie V for TJ Ford. (I didn't like the move at first...but we won our first Atlantic Division, coach of the year, exec of the year before Boston got the big 3).
Signed Kapono for full MLE.
Traded Ford, Rasho and a pick for J.O.
Signed Moon out of the gutter.
Traded J.O. and Moon for Marion and Banks (Banks contract hurting us a bit).
Traded Kapono for Reggie Evans (cost cutting, plus more rebounding).
Signed Hedo.
Now this trade.

BC has made some questionable moves before, but always seems to rebound. Great GM.

Dont forget the 1st round pick and the 4 mil Trade exemption...... IMO, we got the better end of that trade. Other then that, Raps have a good GM

Mavs are still only, at best, the 4th best team in the Western Conference...

If they can turn Dampier into a real asset, we might be onto something...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

How many teams that make it to the Finals are actually the best team in their conference?

Neither the Heat or the Mavs were really the best team in their respective conferences IMO.

Way to much money for Andy. I guess the Cavs are done with off-season stuff now. Time to see what the regular season brings. I expect the Cavs and Celtics inECF's. We'll worry about 2010 off-season when it gets here.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

The only indisputably dumb thing he did was sign Jason Kapono.

sportsguy33(Bill Simmons)Seriously, how many NBA trades has Chris Wallace helped out as a 3rd party for no real reason? He's like a money launderer. Hey Chris, would you like to help out 3 other teams that you're competing against for no reason at all? You would! Thanks!"

laugh.gif
Chris Wallace can't catch a break.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

How many teams that make it to the Finals are actually the best team in their conference?

Neither the Heat or the Mavs were really the best team in their respective conferences IMO.
I mean, anything can happen, especially if Matrix is more 07/08 Matrix than 08/09 Matrix... But the Mavericks are still just flat out not betterthan Denver, LA, or San Antonio on paper...

They're relatively close, but the only way they get over the hump with this roster make-up is by turning Dampier into a MAJOR asset... It feels likethat's the plan, but God forbid it backfires, and they're sitting here with Kidd and Matrix signed for several years to a team that's going nowherefast...

we had to go through san antonio & the suns to get there too.

should we not get our hopes up with gortat since orlando can still match?

I mean, anything can happen, especially if Matrix is more 07/08 Matrix than 08/09 Matrix... But the Mavericks are still just flat out not better than Denver, LA, or San Antonio on paper...

They're relatively close, but the only way they get over the hump with this roster make-up is by turning Dampier into a MAJOR asset... It feels like that's the plan, but God forbid it backfires, and they're sitting here with Kidd and Matrix signed for several years to a team that's going nowhere fast...

If Toronto has a horrible year I can see them trading Bosh for that Eric plus Cash and Picks.

I mean, anything can happen, especially if Matrix is more 07/08 Matrix than 08/09 Matrix... But the Mavericks are still just flat out not better than Denver, LA, or San Antonio on paper...

They're relatively close, but the only way they get over the hump with this roster make-up is by turning Dampier into a MAJOR asset... It feels like that's the plan, but God forbid it backfires, and they're sitting here with Kidd and Matrix signed for several years to a team that's going nowhere fast...

When he's on his game, he's on his game.....I really wanted it to work in Miami but we needed a Big and an expiring for 2010. I believe we offered himbetween 10-12 mil last offseason but he rejected it and that was the begining of the end

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33
sportsguy33(Bill Simmons)Chris Wallace calling his owner tonight: "The bad news? I helped 3 other teams get better. The good news? I made you $3500!"

roll.gif

If I were Chris Wallace I would just quit.
laugh.gif

I almost feel bad for the guy, that Gasol trade screwed up his reputation for life. Chad Ford was on Bill Simmons' podcast a couple weeksback and he said that Wallace was so gunshy that there had been multiple times where he had agreed on a trade and then called back 30 minutes later to say thedeal was off because he needed more in return. Guess you can't blame someone for only accepting a severely lop-sided trade after pulling the most maniacal,ridiculous trade we've seen in this generation.

But I guess some of that becomes null after what happened just now . .

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
if Mcdyss goes to SA no point in KT is there?
eek.gif
at AV deal, I wonder what's gonna go on with Lee/odom now
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

I'm not going to get into this.
laugh.gif
Because you know damn well that was a FALSE statement.
laugh.gif
Nah, because I don't have a popular opinion.
laugh.gif

BUT! I've ALWAYS liked the way we match up with the Spurs, even now.

Despite getting torched by TP, we controlled that series this year.

Best 5 players on the floor:

Tony Parker >>>>>>>>>> J. Kidd
Manu >>>>> J. Howard
RJ >>>>>>>>>> Marion
McDyess <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Dirk
TD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gortat

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom