NBA Draft Thread 2011

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Idk man I just feel like every draft there are a handful of Euro guys picked, and a lot of them don't pan out.  
Dirk, Manu, Yao, and Bargnani as of late has played okay...

Maybe the fact that I never see this guys play makes me scared, but that's the way I see it.

How many American players get drafted that don't "pan out". 
Ratio probably ain't much different if you really think about it. 
It isn't I can't rmember where i saw, i think on tv...but the chance of getting an all star player is the same I think actually slightly higher for euros. Like 11% of euros drafted in lottery become all stars, 10% for americans.
That's an interesting stat
pimp.gif
eek.gif
.  I mean I'm not opposed of it by any means, but like I said before it's weird not watching any of these guys and then seeing them being picked in the top 10

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

hmmm Kyrie is skipping the agility workouts at the combine and is only gonna do the medical testings

So he only plays 11 games (misses 26) and now skips the combine but still remains the consensus #1 pick? Interesting. Cant help but wonder if hes really that good or is the draft really that bad.

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

hmmm Kyrie is skipping the agility workouts at the combine and is only gonna do the medical testings

So he only plays 11 games (misses 26) and now skips the combine but still remains the consensus #1 pick? Interesting. Cant help but wonder if hes really that good or is the draft really that bad.

Originally Posted by Shady4Life

I want the Wolves to take Jeremy Tyler in the 2nd.
You know that he was coming off the bench to replace a much better Robert freaking Swift in Japan, right? He's got about as much discipline as JR Rider.

Originally Posted by Shady4Life

I want the Wolves to take Jeremy Tyler in the 2nd.
You know that he was coming off the bench to replace a much better Robert freaking Swift in Japan, right? He's got about as much discipline as JR Rider.

Why's everybody so high on Kyrie Irving?

He's not Derrick Rose or Chris Paul. . Point guards are great but I dont think they are the key to buliding a champiosnhip team. They'd be better off getting Derrick Williams and getting Brandon Knoght or Kenba Walker with the 4th pick.

Why's everybody so high on Kyrie Irving?

He's not Derrick Rose or Chris Paul. . Point guards are great but I dont think they are the key to buliding a champiosnhip team. They'd be better off getting Derrick Williams and getting Brandon Knoght or Kenba Walker with the 4th pick.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

DaComeUP wrote:

Alec Burks Burke will be the best overall player in this draft 5 years from now.

He may pan out to be a good scorer in the league but I highly doubt that he is the best overall player 5 years from now. What are you basing this off of?
He has a propensity for saying really stupid things trying to be different.

Whatever. I liked what I saw from dude this season at CU. He's going to be a stud. Shut up & go back to cheering for your disappointment of a franchise..

Originally Posted by Im Not You

DaComeUP wrote:

Alec Burks Burke will be the best overall player in this draft 5 years from now.

He may pan out to be a good scorer in the league but I highly doubt that he is the best overall player 5 years from now. What are you basing this off of?
He has a propensity for saying really stupid things trying to be different.

Whatever. I liked what I saw from dude this season at CU. He's going to be a stud. Shut up & go back to cheering for your disappointment of a franchise..

I agree that the Cavs should take Williams first and just get Kemba 4th. They aren't going to be competing much for the next 2 years, what they need is a high profile player to get fans in the seats. Both Kemba and D-Will can do that because they aren't afraid to show emotion when they play. They're very animated with their game, just like Lebron was. They don't even have to be 1/4 as good as Lebron, they just have to become the face of the Cavs and get into the playoffs within 3 years.

I agree that the Cavs should take Williams first and just get Kemba 4th. They aren't going to be competing much for the next 2 years, what they need is a high profile player to get fans in the seats. Both Kemba and D-Will can do that because they aren't afraid to show emotion when they play. They're very animated with their game, just like Lebron was. They don't even have to be 1/4 as good as Lebron, they just have to become the face of the Cavs and get into the playoffs within 3 years.

I say draft Williams, Walker/Knight....Next season most likely 1-5 pick & draft a franchise player then (Barnes, Jones, Rivers, Sullinger, A. Davis, Gilchrist, etc)

I say draft Williams, Walker/Knight....Next season most likely 1-5 pick & draft a franchise player then (Barnes, Jones, Rivers, Sullinger, A. Davis, Gilchrist, etc)

Would be nice if Wall got to team up with Kanter. Close to impossible he drops to 6 with all the hype around him.

Would be nice if Wall got to team up with Kanter. Close to impossible he drops to 6 with all the hype around him.

Originally Posted by CareFreeJR

I don't see how you can pass up on such a sure thing in Kyrie though. How many PGs dominate the way Kyrie did in a tough conference then fail in the NBA? They can draft either Kanter or Jonas with their other pick and have a PG and a bigman for the future. Cavs need to forget about Lebron. If they build their team correctly, the fans will come. Irving is that high profile player, that's why he's the clear cut number 1 in this draft. 
I'm also not completely sold on DWill. I'm not a huge fan of tweeners who don't really have one position they are definitely solid at. He played a lot of 4 in college (not big enough to bang with NBA 4s, IMO) and doesn't really look like a true 3 to me. I'm sure he'll figure out how to score in the NBA but is he a guy that you build around? Is he a guy you pass up a potential franchise changing PG for? Not in my eyes. 

Originally Posted by CareFreeJR

I don't see how you can pass up on such a sure thing in Kyrie though. How many PGs dominate the way Kyrie did in a tough conference then fail in the NBA? They can draft either Kanter or Jonas with their other pick and have a PG and a bigman for the future. Cavs need to forget about Lebron. If they build their team correctly, the fans will come. Irving is that high profile player, that's why he's the clear cut number 1 in this draft. 
I'm also not completely sold on DWill. I'm not a huge fan of tweeners who don't really have one position they are definitely solid at. He played a lot of 4 in college (not big enough to bang with NBA 4s, IMO) and doesn't really look like a true 3 to me. I'm sure he'll figure out how to score in the NBA but is he a guy that you build around? Is he a guy you pass up a potential franchise changing PG for? Not in my eyes. 

mgrand15 wrote:
CareFreeJR wrote:

Kyrie can be a good player but I'm not sold on him being an impact guy. He only played in like 6 games vs good competition. He played for Duke too which always has great players and a great system, its not like he had to carry the team.

Also I'm not a big believer that point guards are the key to winning championships. When  was the last time a team with the point guard as their best player won the championship? Over 20 years ago when 1990 when Isiah Thomas led the Pistons to back to back championships.

The problem with point guards are if he's your best scorer he still has to give the ball up for your offense to function right thus taking the ball out of your impact scorer. its almost like a running Quarterback in the NFL, everybody loves it but its not great for your offense. Also most point guards handle the ball on the top of perimeter which makes it easier for the defense to see keep every defenders eyes on him and see their man. If your impact scorer is a wing or a post, its harder for defenders to see their man and the ball.

mgrand15 wrote:
CareFreeJR wrote:

Kyrie can be a good player but I'm not sold on him being an impact guy. He only played in like 6 games vs good competition. He played for Duke too which always has great players and a great system, its not like he had to carry the team.

Also I'm not a big believer that point guards are the key to winning championships. When  was the last time a team with the point guard as their best player won the championship? Over 20 years ago when 1990 when Isiah Thomas led the Pistons to back to back championships.

The problem with point guards are if he's your best scorer he still has to give the ball up for your offense to function right thus taking the ball out of your impact scorer. its almost like a running Quarterback in the NFL, everybody loves it but its not great for your offense. Also most point guards handle the ball on the top of perimeter which makes it easier for the defense to see keep every defenders eyes on him and see their man. If your impact scorer is a wing or a post, its harder for defenders to see their man and the ball.

i have hardly seen irving play and now he wants to skip workouts...i wouldnt even draft that dude #1...is he really that good? i dont even understand why he is projected to go #1 after missing most of the year

i have hardly seen irving play and now he wants to skip workouts...i wouldnt even draft that dude #1...is he really that good? i dont even understand why he is projected to go #1 after missing most of the year

Back
Top Bottom