NBA Draft Lottery Thread - 5/19. ESPN.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I told y'all Rubio would do this.
laugh.gif
I would too, @%#* Memphis.

He dosn't have to worry because Memphis will stupidly pick Thabeet and force Marc Gasol to play power forward.

indifferent.gif

Want to make a bet on that?
grin.gif
lol That's what all the pundits are whispering. I mean, if Memphis really wants Thabeet (because they like Conley as the pg going forward),they should do a swap with OKC and get one of OKC's later picks. Anyways, if that happens, Presti > Wallace (and Vancouver > Memphis lol).

A Rubio-Westbrook backcourt would be SICK!
pimp.gif

Rubio is a big problem though. He has an 8 million dollar buyout now. And it increases next year. A team can only contribute 500k to a buyout. So unless hegets a nice fat shoe deal and some other things. I honestly don't know how he gets to play in the US over the next 2 years. And I'm a big believer inhim panning out.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I told y'all Rubio would do this.
laugh.gif
I would too, @%#* Memphis.

He dosn't have to worry because Memphis will stupidly pick Thabeet and force Marc Gasol to play power forward.

indifferent.gif

Want to make a bet on that?
grin.gif
lol That's what all the pundits are whispering. I mean, if Memphis really wants Thabeet (because they like Conley as the pg going forward), they should do a swap with OKC and get one of OKC's later picks.

A Rubio-Westbrook backcourt would be SICK!
pimp.gif

The writers in sports always want the Grizzlies to make the stupid pick. They hate to see a player with the talent of Rubio go to Memphis because theydon't want to put Memphis on TV. Just like last year with the Mayo trade. Some writers were praising OJ before the draft saying how he will look great inMiami and how the Timberwolves should draft him, then as soon as he goes to Memphis its a downfall.
eyes.gif

It's the same way this year with Rubio. With the way Rubio plays, he'll bring so much excitement to the team with his passing ability alone. Thenational media need to suck it up and realize that Memphis is about to build a good franchise from here on out. Even if Memphis did want to keep Conley, theyaren't going to pass on Rubio just to let OKC have him and become a powerhouse. They will take him regardless, and if a good deal comes along for him orConley then fine. If not, we keep both Rubio and Conley until further notice. Memphis is in the best position than probably any other team this off-season with$15-20 million in caproom, 2 other picks in the draft, 4 spots already locked in as starters for the next 5-10 years and could add another potential greatplayer in Rubio.

It doesn't make sense for people to say they will actually take Thabeet when they have Gasol, Darko and Haddadi. We need a PF, not another center.

And plus, Hollins said:

"We're in the west... most teams play with a lot of perimeter players," "skilled enough to push the ball and to run," "can create for other people"
Same situation with the Bulls last season with Rose and Beasley. They needed a PF more than another PG since they had Hinrich. But, look how thatturned out. My philosophy is always take the best player.

Getting to play in the NBA is a gift and a great opporunity and to say "no" or pull out because you're going to get drafted by a team that doesn't have a big market is disgraceful.
1. I don't think it's a market size issue. He wants Sacramento.
2. His buyout is $8 Million that recent reports suggest he'll have to pay $7.5 Million of out of his own pocket. If it was me and I had to pay that muchmoney to play in the league, I'd feel entitled to have a say as to where I end up, especially if I could just wait a year and try again. It's not thesame as those spoiled college kids (Steve Francis, etc) or Yi Jianlian.

I'm just speculating, but to address why he might want Sacramento, but not OKC or Memphis, it might be because in Sacramento, it's a guarantee he getsthe starting PG position and will have the ball in his hands a majority of the time. Even though Martin averaged 25 points per game, he did it off of very fewtouches. Unlike Memphis and OKC, nobody really dominates the ball in Sacramento since Artest left. Plus, Udrih is a disgrace to the league so Rubio will haveno competition to start. Even if Memphis promises to trade Conley, which is doubtful because based on his end of the year play he's starting to look like asure thing while all rookies are risks, you'll still have Mayo and Gay dominating the rock. Then in OKC, I'm 100% sure they will not trade or demoteWestbrook. He's too good and promising.

Petrie should be trying to trade up right about now. I hope he gets it done.

Originally Posted by Beats05

Getting to play in the NBA is a gift and a great opporunity and to say "no" or pull out because you're going to get drafted by a team that doesn't have a big market is disgraceful.
1. I don't think it's a market size issue. He wants Sacramento.
2. His buyout is $8 Million that recent reports suggest he'll have to pay $7.5 Million of out of his own pocket. If it was me and I had to pay that much money to play in the league, I'd feel entitled to have a say as to where I end up, especially if I could just wait a year and try again. It's not the same as those spoiled college kids (Steve Francis, etc) or Yi Jianlian.

I'm just speculating, but to address why he might want Sacramento, but not OKC or Memphis, it might be because in Sacramento, it's a guarantee he gets the starting PG position and will have the ball in his hands a majority of the time. Even though Martin averaged 25 points per game, he did it off of very few touches. Unlike Memphis and OKC, nobody really dominates the ball in Sacramento since Artest left. Plus, Udrih is a disgrace to the league so Rubio will have no competition to start. Even if Memphis promises to trade Conley, which is doubtful because based on his end of the year play he's starting to look like a sure thing while all rookies are risks, you'll still have Mayo and Gay dominating the rock. Then in OKC, I'm 100% sure they will not trade or demote Westbrook. He's too good and promising.

Petrie should be trying to trade up right about now. I hope he gets it done.

Well if Sacramento needs a PG, they should be willing to take Conley in some type of deal. The only player I want from the Kings is Jason Thompson.

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

the only two young players worth mentioning on the clippers will be gordon and griffin. al thornton sucks really hard.
Damn
laugh.gif
that's kinda harsh.
Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

A combo of Gordon and Griffin well allow Thornton to focus on other aspects of his game that need improvement(i.e. Defense & Rebounding)
happy.gif
Couldn't have agreed more. Let Griffin/Gordon take the "load"...

Finally, some decent news to come out of the draft for Kings.

Maybe another reason he wants to play in Sacramento is the # of foreign players we've had in the past. Vlade, Turk, Peja, etc.

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

Originally Posted by SylvesterMcGrizzly

Thabeet is trash to me...yes he is active defensively but he has no offensive game to speak of...to me he isn't worth a top 5 pick...

so how is he different from dwight howard then? howard is only bigger and stronger.. but howard doesnt really have any offensive game either... he'll just throw up that pathetic one handed hookshot off one leg.
Howard averages 20 a game with no offensive moves. Thabeet will never do that. Come on now. He is worth a top 5 pick though.

how do you know? you're already saying he's never gonna average that. if he gets the same looks as howard, he'll produce too, because the league is getting smaller and smaller every time. there arent a lot of legit 7-0 foot centers anymore. besides, he can learn too...

indifferent.gif
If he couldn't do it in College, the hell makes u think hegonna do it in the pros? he wasn't even a dominant force on the boards.... he will be a complimentary piece on a good team...nothing more...Top 5? iwouldnt snatch him up unless I thought i was a player or two away from making noise

indifferent.gif
If he couldn't do it in College, the hell makes u think he gonna do it in the pros? he wasn't even a dominant force on the boards.... he will be a complimentary piece on a good team...nothing more...Top 5? i wouldnt snatch him up unless I thought i was a player or two away from making noise

The same could be said about Mr. Oden.

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

The only player I want from the Kings is Jason Thompson.

The Kings ain't givin' up Jason Thompson, sorry.

Lemme qft. No way in hell the kings give up on jt. Unless maybe if it was for stat or the #1

lemme ask you Kings fans

Who is the organization holding in higher regard Hawes or JT?

I personally think JT can be a good player in the league but I've heard that the Kings are in love with Hawes

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

indifferent.gif
If he couldn't do it in College, the hell makes u think he gonna do it in the pros? he wasn't even a dominant force on the boards.... he will be a complimentary piece on a good team...nothing more...Top 5? i wouldnt snatch him up unless I thought i was a player or two away from making noise
The same could be said about Mr. Oden.

i dont know who side you on

it dont really matter who side you taking cuz i can throw reasons out for both sides on him

that was just a bad example
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

So, why would he want to play for Sacramento when he could play with two potential stars in OJ and Gay along with his Spanish counterpart in Marc Gasol?
I feel like it has everything to do with location.
I feel like it has to do with the organization as well.

Memphis is inept and has no commitment to winning. There's also no guarantee that Gay or even OJ will be around in the future.

At least Sacramento seems to care about winning and has owners who are willing to spend money. LA, if even it is the Clippers, is Hollywood.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

So, why would he want to play for Sacramento when he could play with two potential stars in OJ and Gay along with his Spanish counterpart in Marc Gasol?

Memphis is inept and has no commitment to winning. There's also no guarantee that Gay or even OJ will be around in the future.

At least Sacramento seems to care about winning and has owners who are willing to spend money. LA, if even it is the Clippers, is Hollywood.

Why do people keep thinking the Grizzlies are committed to winning? The Grizzlies have just as much as young talent as any other young team in theleague and win just as many games. Does that mean the OKC Thunder aren't committed to winning? Memphis is building a young core which is the reason forgetting rid of those big contracts in Miller, Pau, etc. Memphis will spend money either this off-season or next off-season regardless. It's the start ofthe 2nd year of a 3-year plan that the owner/GM has in place.

GET ER DONE, PETRIE.

But really, I think he wants Sacramento because of the fact that he will be the primary ball handler with no competition for the pg spot. He can showcase histalent due to the lack of talent on the squad. Plus, the Kings' track record of bringing in foreign players and flashy players (J-Will) shows to Rubio thathe can be the next big thing in Sacramento since the J-Will, C-Webb, Divac, and co. team.

Why do people keep thinking the Grizzlies are committed to winning? The Grizzlies have just as much as young talent as any other young team in the league and win just as many games. Does that mean the OKC Thunder aren't committed to winning? Memphis is building a young core which is the reason for getting rid of those big contracts in Miller, Pau, etc. Memphis will spend money either this off-season or next off-season regardless. It's the start of the 2nd year of a 3-year plan that the owner/GM has in place.

Having young talent on your team doesn't mean a thing if they aren't signed to long-term contracts. It just means they were bad enough toearn several lottery selections.

Trading Pau Gasol for next to nothing shows a lack of commitment to winning and complete lunacy. There is zero way to justify that trade.

Oklahoma is one of the smartest teams in the league in terms of how they use their cap space and the moves that they have made to get themselves under the capover the last few years. There is a complete difference. At least Oklahoma has demonstrated that they have a vision for the future and have taken wise stepstowards that goal.

Why do people keep thinking the Grizzlies are committed to winning? The Grizzlies have just as much as young talent as any other young team in the league and win just as many games. Does that mean the OKC Thunder aren't committed to winning? Memphis is building a young core which is the reason for getting rid of those big contracts in Miller, Pau, etc. Memphis will spend money either this off-season or next off-season regardless. It's the start of the 2nd year of a 3-year plan that the owner/GM has in place.
Having young talent on your team doesn't mean a thing if they aren't signed to long-term contracts. It just means they were bad enough to earn several lottery selections.

Trading Pau Gasol for next to nothing shows a lack of commitment to winning and complete lunacy. There is zero way to justify that trade.

Oklahoma is one of the smartest teams in the league in terms of how they use their cap space and the moves that they have made to get themselves under the cap over the last few years. There is a complete difference. At least Oklahoma has demonstrated that they have a vision for the future and have taken wise steps towards that goal.

The Grizzlies traded for Rudy. The Grizzlies traded for OJ Mayo. They got Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur and Crittenton in the Pau deal. They have 20 milliondollars in capspace. Memphis didn't just draft these players because they were in the position to, they actually made the moves to do so. When the Sonicstraded Ray Allen for West, Wally and the first round pick that turned into Green isn't justifiable. That was a huge risk they took by getting Green andWest/Wally were later shipped to Cleveland that basically helped Cleveland when they were trying to become title contenders. They also gave the rights to BigBaby to Boston which could've been another solid role player for them.

The Grizzlies didn't get lucky enough to get the 2nd pick in the 2007 draft to get KD. We had to trade our way and find ways to get good young players likeOJ, Rudy, Arthur, Gasol, etc and will add some more this off-season with their other two picks in the draft and capspace. I believe most of our young talent wehave, we got via trade somehow with the exception of Warrick and Conley. What's the different between Durant staying in OKC long term compared to Rudy andOJ? Rudy is on his way to signing an extension next season if Memphis doesn't trade him. I'm pretty sure the same will happen with OJ when his contractis up.

No knock on OKC, I think they're doing a good job. But, people can't disrespect what the Grizz are doing because they're in the same, maybe evenbetter boat than a lot of young teams in the league. IMO, OKC still needs to find out what they going to do with Jeff Green or he's going to walk moresothan Rudy or OJ for Memphis. Unless they continue to start him at PF, I don't see him wanting to come off the bench for the rest of his career. If Memphisdoesn't do anything within' these next 2 seasons of the 3-year plan, then that's when people can say they aren't committed to winning. Idon't think Heisley is that great of an owner, but he never told the fans that we were trying to make the playoffs these past few seasons. We were inrebuilding mode and you didn't see us tanking the season away like some of these other lottery bound teams did.

If you honestly think that moves like the Gasol trade made the Grizzlies more competitive than keeping a top tier star, that's your opinion but that movehas been widely ridiculed by basketball experts. My point is that I can't blame Rubio for not wanting to go to a team that has no fan support, no teamhistory, a questionable future at best, and a long track record of bad trades.

Having young talent on your team doesn't mean a thing if they aren't signed to long-term contracts. It just means they were bad enough to earn several lottery selections.

Oklahoma is one of the smartest teams in the league in terms of how they use their cap space and the moves that they have made to get themselves under the cap over the last few years. There is a complete difference. At least Oklahoma has demonstrated that they have a vision for the future and have taken wise steps towards that goal.

The Grizzlies traded for Rudy. The Grizzlies traded for OJ Mayo. They got Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur and Crittenton in the Pau deal. They have 20 million dollars in capspace. Memphis didn't just draft these players because they were in the position to, they actually made the moves to do so. When the Sonics traded Ray Allen for West, Wally and the first round pick that turned into Green isn't justifiable. That was a huge risk they took by getting Green and West/Wally were later shipped to Cleveland that basically helped Cleveland when they were trying to become title contenders. They also gave the rights to Big Baby to Boston which could've been another solid role player for them.

The Grizzlies didn't get lucky enough to get the 2nd pick in the 2007 draft to get KD. We had to trade our way and find ways to get good young players like OJ, Rudy, Arthur, Gasol, etc and will add some more this off-season with their other two picks in the draft and capspace. I believe most of our young talent we have, we got via trade somehow with the exception of Warrick and Conley. What's the different between Durant staying in OKC long term compared to Rudy and OJ? Rudy is on his way to signing an extension next season if Memphis doesn't trade him. I'm pretty sure the same will happen with OJ when his contract is up.

No knock on OKC, I think they're doing a good job. But, people can't disrespect what the Grizz are doing because they're in the same, maybe even better boat than a lot of young teams in the league. IMO, OKC still needs to find out what they going to do with Jeff Green or he's going to walk moreso than Rudy or OJ for Memphis. Unless they continue to start him at PF, I don't see him wanting to come off the bench for the rest of his career. If Memphis doesn't do anything within' these next 2 seasons of the 3-year plan, then that's when people can say they aren't committed to winning. I don't think Heisley is that great of an owner, but he never told the fans that we were trying to make the playoffs these past few seasons. We were in rebuilding mode and you didn't see us tanking the season away like some of these other lottery bound teams did.

You know what sucks about young talent? They're all gonna make big money when that next contract comes around, and right now the Grizzlies are operating ata loss even though they opened a new arena 4 years ago.

Originally Posted by jville819

lemme ask you Kings fans

Who is the organization holding in higher regard Hawes or JT?

I personally think JT can be a good player in the league but I've heard that the Kings are in love with Hawes
I'm pretty sure those two are, unfortunately, untouchable
laugh.gif

Personally though, I would say JT>Hawes. But who knows, if we're able to move up and snag Rubio without giving up either of those two...... thenthat'd be
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom