My Professor just emailed me about my paper.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

It was weird, he was choking up when he was trying to talk to me, must have been on his mind for a couple of days.

To say the least, I am at an all time low.
Plagiarizing one sentence is serious business.

Originally Posted by One Love

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

UPDATE.

Wow. Looks like I did actually take a sentence. It was the first sentence for my conclusion and I have no idea why I did it. He was pissed that I did it, saying another teacher would have gave me an F. He had the whole website opened and my paper... It was bad.

So he said he is taking 10 points off and said I have to be much more careful. I am so upset at myself.
It'll be ok baby.
get really drunk and go swimming

laugh.gif

smh i didnt know that they were this serious in college what does he do search all ur senteces on google? maybe a coincidence

just go back to him and say...

I'm sorry Prof. Rice, you know what it is like in college...having a lot of friends to keep up with, a girlfriend and social events...

he will break down and cry b/c he obvs never did any of those and that is when you got him at your mercy

not much you can do about that, see if he'll take some shoes+ you add cash as a trade-off?

Teachers are faced with dual roles sometimes--to meter out the law or to be a confidant to their students. He had to choose the former. Sorry.

I know last year I was faced with the same thing--sorta. My teacher "caught" me with notes on the floor beside my desk while I was taking my final. She made a big fuss about it in front of the whole class. Afterward, I was only penalized for the questions which were blatantly shown on my notes.

She said she took my history into account. I got As on everything else so she let it slide. It could have been a big mess. Mind you, it was a major coursewhich I needed to graduate.

Academic dishonesty is frowned upon, and for good reason. Just be thankful you only got docked 10 points. It could have been an unforgivable F.

I would've have walked into his office with a check-book and offer him a '$!%@ money'.

Leave it alone. He can easily change his mind and give you that "F" another teacher would have given you.

Take the L.

So wait, did you or did not plagarize intentionally? In other words, was that first sentence your own or did you take it from the website?

On another note, I remember a few of my lower division courses used turnitin.com. But none of my upper division courses ever used that program.

OP, update the title, a lot of folks are interested in the outcome and may miss it.

Just consider it as a lesson learned and go about your business.

wow you guys who are saying its not a big deal are probably in highschool or dont go to major college. At UMD people fail the course for cheating on a HOMEWORKassignment. OP consider yourself extremly lucky. Plus if they took it to the student honor council (thats what we have here) then it gets very ugly.

i cheated my $*! off in school. high school and college, never really got caught. i'd be screwed w/o cheating
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

your prof sounds like an *#+#+@%.
can't really blame the dude. He's trying to do his job.
Imagine you instructing a class and giving them clear rules on an assignment... then a kid (or a couple of students) comes trying to pull a fast one.
I'd be pretty heated too.

your prof sounds like an *#+#+@%.

HOW? A 10 point deduction for plagiarism is like getting a 20 dollar ticket for going 50 miles over the speeding limit. He could have been expelled, given anF, gotten a 0 on the paper, etc. I don't get how this could accidentally happen though, you're being pretty vague about how the sentence got into yourpaper. Either way, you should just e-mail him and apologize, say you'll always be more careful, and thank him for caring about your performance. IMO, hecouldn't have handled this any better.

your prof sounds like an *#+#+@% a cool person
your professor seems like a caring person. ucberkeley professors didn't give a damn about student performance in their classes because theyhad tenure. if 50% failed their class, they couldn't care less. most tenured professors' swag > insertyour favorite rapper...it's unfair how they treat their students

but congrats to you for only getting 10 points docked off. i would have let out a big sigh of relief. don't be too down on yourself, you didn'tinsert the sentence intentionally. as for going to your professor right away to apologize, i would hold off on that and wait until after the final to go totheir office hours and apologize/thank them in person for being flexible and understanding in your situation.

it was one freakin sentence, some of you act like the dude plagerized throughout the entire paper

teacher gets his rocks off on this, many of them do...it's lame IMO

there is no need to email a student and make him worry that he may be in major trouble, OP clearly didnt even realize what he had done

Originally Posted by moe200069

your prof sounds like an *#+#+@% a cool person
your professor seems like a caring person. ucberkeley professors didn't give a damn about student performance in their classes because they had tenure. if 50% failed their class, they couldn't care less. most tenured professors' swag > insert your favorite rapper...it's unfair how they treat their students

but congrats to you for only getting 10 points docked off. i would have let out a big sigh of relief. don't be too down on yourself, you didn't insert the sentence intentionally. as for going to your professor right away to apologize, i would hold off on that and wait until after the final to go to their office hours and apologize/thank them in person for being flexible and understanding in your situation.
I don't think that's true. I asked one of my tenured professors if bad class ratings would affect them and they said that it affectsfuture raises/salary.

Back
Top Bottom