My Professor just emailed me about my paper.

Just take the L
laugh.gif

Dude is overreacting a little since it's one sentence but colleges and universities do take plagiarism very seriously. If I get a source, I rarely willever quote it directly since I hate citing it in the paper. I like simply putting what was said in the source into my own words and just citing the articlelater in a separate section.

The professor threw you a bit of a bone since you were guilty but it was only one sentence. I don't understand people who will copy and paste a wholesource into their paper and think they are going to get away with that. Now that's dumb and should not be taken lightly.

Originally Posted by youngin33

Dude is overreacting a little since it's one sentence but colleges and universities do take plagiarism very seriously. If I get a source, I rarely will ever quote it directly since I hate citing it in the paper. I like simply putting what was said in the source into my own words and just citing the article later in a separate section.

The professor threw you a bit of a bone since you were guilty but it was only one sentence. I don't understand people who will copy and paste a whole source into their paper and think they are going to get away with that. Now that's dumb and should not be taken lightly.
doesn't have to be exact, teachers get off on this stuff...i'm telling you, a lot them are so nerdy and sheltered b/c all they did wasworry about how many degrees they had that they look to take it out on students who actually live their life

that is real talk, trust me...I know people who work at a major university as young professors and graduate TA's

Originally Posted by moe200069

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

your prof sounds like an *#+#+@% a cool person
your professor seems like a caring person. ucberkeley professors didn't give a damn about student performance in their classes because they had tenure. if 50% failed their class, they couldn't care less. most tenured professors' swag > insert your favorite rapper...it's unfair how they treat their students

but congrats to you for only getting 10 points docked off. i would have let out a big sigh of relief. don't be too down on yourself, you didn't insert the sentence intentionally. as for going to your professor right away to apologize, i would hold off on that and wait until after the final to go to their office hours and apologize/thank them in person for being flexible and understanding in your situation.
ill take your advice but don't look at 10 points being very little. I know for sure that is a letter grade.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Originally Posted by moe200069

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

your prof sounds like an *#+#+@% a cool person
your professor seems like a caring person. ucberkeley professors didn't give a damn about student performance in their classes because they had tenure. if 50% failed their class, they couldn't care less. most tenured professors' swag > insert your favorite rapper...it's unfair how they treat their students

but congrats to you for only getting 10 points docked off. i would have let out a big sigh of relief. don't be too down on yourself, you didn't insert the sentence intentionally. as for going to your professor right away to apologize, i would hold off on that and wait until after the final to go to their office hours and apologize/thank them in person for being flexible and understanding in your situation.
ill take your advice but don't look at 10 points being very little. I know for sure that is a letter grade.
although I think your professor is a total D bag, just take the L and move on, he technically could have kicked you out of school w/o question

Man, 10 point deduction is not bad at all...

I remember my first year of university, we had to wait two weeks to get our Philosophy papers back, and for two weeks everybody thought of his email saying"Out of the 100 papers, there were 2 incidents of academic dishonesty"... Saying that he wasnt going to contact those students until the papers werehanded back.

At any rate, I saw a few people get caught with one sentence of dishonesty, and they got 30% off their final grade, had to go to... I cant remember what theycalled it, but basically like academic dishonesty classes for the first month of the next semester...

So basically failed them in the class, gave them a 0 on the paper, and had to take classes on it... And that was the easy way to get off...

Your a lucky dude to just get 10.

OP, when you write papers do you usually copy word-for-word from your sources?

That's not a good practice at all, if you do. It's best to paraphrase (while still citing your source) if at all possible.

I'm sorry this incident caused you a letter grade.

How did the paper turn out?

One of my professors told us that if he caught us cheating on an essay he wouldn't even tell us. He would wait until the end of the quarter to fail us, andthen file a report
laugh.gif
smh.gif
He was a cool professor though.

could you please give us the plagiarized sentence and the website where you accidentally took it from?

I haven't gotten the paper yet, so I don't know what the grade was.

The sentence is

John Stuart Mill's idea of utilitarianism developed notions of individuals who were concerned with the total happiness because man is naturally a socialanimal and we are motivated by a sense of duty to others.

I took social animal part controlled by sense of duty.

wasn't even a sentence, more like 1/2.

So do you know how exactly this happened? Were you just tired/careless and you forgot to put quotes?

I would wait a little (a couple days, a couple months... whatever you think is appropriate) and then just drop by and tell him thanks for being understandingand that it was unintentional but you understand why he had to deduct points. Also mention that you are now going to be more careful so that it won'thappen agian.... Then tell him how you enjoyed the class and you hope this incident doesn't overshadow his opinion of you. Then tap tap pull, whip it out,and take pics?

Originally Posted by 5iveonit

davidisgodly wrote:

I DON"T EVEN REMEMBER STEALING. HOW CAN I EXPLAIN???????? I DON'T TYPICALLY TAKE SENTENCES FROM ONLINE, MAYBE THIS SLIPPED MY MIND, BUT I AM MUCH MORE CAREFUL THAN THAT.

Why don't you email your prof that exact sentence?
ahhhhh...hate to rain on your parade...but I would definitely rethink giving the OP that advice. In the statement that you are recommending hesends to his prof, he states that he doesn't 'typically' take sentences...If we then define typically, we may then conclude that he has or has doesdone so previously. I know I would not want my prof to think such of me.

If anything, OP, meticulously go over your paper and find the sentence under question. You're the author, or at least you're claiming so by puttingyour name on it, so it should not be too arduous of task to find the error. If you still cannot locate the discrepancy, then honesty is always the best policy.

Edit: after reading the entire thread - as I'm sure that you're already aware of, you're very fortunate to have such a forgiving prof.

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Ouch.

You're lucky he's a nice guy.
Nah..I think it was kind of an over-reaction by the teacher..granted, it was nice of him to give the kid an out but still....one sentence?
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom